Less than two hours remaining

The latest, as we near the end:

This e-mail from Randy Hendricks, Crow's advisor.

"Nothing new," he writes.

Seems like the major league contract has become the biggest sticking point. (That's what he indicated later in his e-mail.)

Anyway, gotta run down now to gather the post-game reaction. Eighth loss in the a row tonight.

Updates to come, obviously.

By Chico Harlan  |  August 15, 2008; 10:24 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Five hours remaining
Next: No deal; Crow gone

Comments

TELL JIM BOWDEN TO PULL UP HIS TENT AND TAKE HIS NATS WITH HIM.
THE ENTIRE ORGANIZATION SUCKS!

Posted by: Carl Goldstein | August 15, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

I predict Crow will sign. Cash will rule over a ML contract.

Posted by: Cabraman | August 15, 2008 10:31 PM | Report abuse

IF I WERE THE LERNERS THEY MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER WEARING PAPER BAGS TO TEMPLE DURING THE HIGH HOLIDAYS!

Posted by: Carl Goldstein | August 15, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Carl Goldstein means business.

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, I pray I'm not reincarnated into Carl's caps lock key. Ouch.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 15, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

SO FREAKING EMBARESSING.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Hendricks has already said the Nats were okay with a Major League contract. It's all about the money, now.
Carl, I hope you never sit near me. Ever. Seriously.

Posted by: Section 138 | August 15, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Carl,

You forgot to sign your name on that one.

Posted by: Section 138 | August 15, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm up, and I'm pulling for a last minute Crow signing. If you're him, or his parents, and you're staring at one hour and $3-4 million, don't you sign? Don't you?

Posted by: Elwood the Rally Possum | August 15, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

What did you say, 138? I couldn't hear you over the shouting.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 15, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Good night, Elwood and all.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 15, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Section 138
You don't have to sit near me because I won't sit my ... in Nats Park until I see major league baseball in Washington.
How does a major league baseball player come to Nats Park every day knowing they are going to lose.
On another note, forget it. I don't want to say anything I mean.

Posted by: Carl Goldstein | August 15, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

why does a major league player go to the ballpark in dc? Real ones dont. Thats why crow wont sign for 3-4 mill. He needs more than that to win 3 games a year

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

As a 41 game STH for the past 4 years this has got to be the low point! Besides enduring another other-wise boring night at the stadium, now we are facing this. Oh the humaity!

Posted by: Tippy Canoe | August 15, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

lots of gnashing of teeth and rending of garments in here.

breathe.

we're not very good at the ML level right now. we may or may not make ourselves a little bit better as an organization in the next 35 minutes. it depends on the judgement of a teenager and a sports agent, so... you know,... who the hell knows?

Posted by: nat in beantown | August 15, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I give great credit to Crow and his agent. They have the Nats front office so scared that Kasten comes down to plead with the media and the fans not to think ill of them if they don't sign Crow. Bowden has been forced to lay the PR groundwork for not signing him for weeks. They wouldn't be doing that if Crow and Hendricks hadn't convinced them that they are damn serious in their demands. Convincing your adversary that you are prepared to walk away is the best thing you can do to induce a change in position.

I think this deal happens in the next 37 minutes. Probably not a major league contract, but a big number. Stan knows his spin isn't really going to work if they fail. If that's the result, that's good for the Nats and for the fans. Just think of all the money wasted on the Dmitri, PLod, and Estrada contracts. A sizeable Crow bonus spread out over years doesn't even come close to that. Sure Crow could bomb, that's a risk with any prospect, particularly a pitcher. But he could also pay off handsomely. If he does, even a large above slot number will be a worthwhile investment.

Posted by: Section 222 | August 15, 2008 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Pray the Pirates don't sign Alvarez. Take Strasburg 1 then Alvarez with the comp pick. Sign neither because we won't go above slot. Move the whole thing to Vegas in 2015.

Posted by: Rick.Felt | August 15, 2008 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Yes, yes. We know, Carl. You want the entire team benched (for who, you don't say), and your son laughs at them. I'm just glad I have a baseball team to call my own, and that the kids are playing hard. Maybe I'm thickheaded, but I'm still so happy to watch *my* team every night. Now, c'mon, Crow.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: Section 138 | August 15, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope we don't sign the smug SOB.....let's go get the #1 pick and the #9 pick in next year's INCREDIBLY DEEP draft.

I know we're not Boston or Wrigley, but I don't want somebody who holds the organization hostage over utterly outrageous contract demands. Watching this makes me think that much more of Guzman for cutting the Nats a break since he was injured.

Take your butt back to Ft. Worth and get drafted for 7th round money next year, and then live off of that first contract because you're not going to throw more than 5 seasons with that delivery.

Unless you were drafted #1 and have like 5 perfecto's or 7 no-no's to your name...you don't deserve to strongarm any franchise. At least Manny had the reputation to back it up.

Posted by: Corey | August 15, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Section 138
Listen I really don't mean what I say. It's all out of frustration! I have been an Expos fan since 1969. Unfortunately the only pleasure I got was taken away by Rick Monday 1n 1981. Maybe I am better off not saying anything. If I do make it to Nats Park I would like to meet so we can comiserate together about the state of the Nats.
I will always be a Nats fan through thick and thin. But right now it is hard.

Posted by: Carl Goldstein | August 15, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Saw the Phelps replay.

Wow!

I have one word.
Sign!

Well maybe two - please.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 15, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

he'll still go top 10 next yr, get good cash, and not have to play for this team...ever. Bowden clearly pissed him and his agent off. If you are this kid, do you want to sign here? Honestly. besides zim this team is a joke, and hes basically a singes hitter

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Rick- Isn't Alvarez a third baseman? I like him a lot, but unless he's willing to switch to a middle infielder, the last thing this organization needs is a third baseman.

Posted by: Jason | August 15, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

My plan- let Crow go, take Strasburg with the first, trade up for the 2nd or 3rd pick, take Ackley, and we're set.

Posted by: Jason | August 15, 2008 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Can't trade picks.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 15, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

You can't trade rights to players? Baseball is an odd system.

Posted by: Jason | August 16, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

12:03. Chico?

Posted by: Jason | August 16, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Crow's demands may have been unrealistic -- but if the Nationals didn't know that beforehand, they're just plain stupid. This would be a major public relations disaster for an organization that's had too many.

I've had a 20-game plan since day one, but right now I'm so disgusted with the way this franchise is run that I frankly don't want to renew.

Posted by: Vincent | August 16, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Jason - He's a third baseman but isn't an unbelievable fielder so we can move him to 1B. He was the best player in the draft this past year, only injury prevented him from being consensus #1. Plus, Zimmerman will get fed up with us and won't sign here long term so it would be good to have another MLB caliber 3b in the mix.

Posted by: Rick.Felt | August 16, 2008 12:08 AM | Report abuse

The fact that Matusz (#4 overall) signed for less than Crow is seeking should have made this easy. This is really frustrating.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

That's it. I'm going to bail on my season tickets because a jr. from Mizou wants an NBA contract and Kasten says no.

Someone need a big cup of sanity. In 5 years nobody will even remember this conversation.

Posted by: pwilly | August 16, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Back from wedding to learn that the Nats did not sign Crow....damnit!

BBA reports that

Posted by: j | August 16, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, too many windows open..it was Jonathan Mayo from MILB

Posted by: j | August 16, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Word is no Crow, but that they signed J.P. Ramirez.

Posted by: Section 138 | August 16, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I disagree that Zim won't sign long term, but yeah, I'd definitely look for Alvarez with that pick, hes got fantastic plate discipline and power. Before we can think about that though, did we sign Crow or not??!! Barry would be on this in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Jason | August 16, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

The Nationals signed 15th round pick J.P. Ramirez, a lefthanded-hitting outfielder with a smooth stroke and a Tulane commitment, for $1 million.

Ramirez is a solid consolation prize, but the Nats missed on their top pick. Washington failed to sign Missouri righthander Aaron Crow, according to industry sources. One source indicated the Crow camp, led by his agents the Hendricks Brothers, dropped their demands to $4 million from the $8-$10 million range, and that the Nationals came up from slot to $3.3 million, but that the two sides ran out of time and wiggle room and couldn’t work out a compromise.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

bye for now

Posted by: bob l. head | August 16, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Brian reports on nfa that the Nats have signed Jones #11 and Ramirez #15.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 16, 2008 12:26 AM | Report abuse

BBA says Crow came down from $8-10 million....wow. Good luck pitching for the Licey Dragons (or whatever their name). Word to the wise Aaron---dont pitch inside to Elijah.

Posted by: jonathan | August 16, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

We didn't get Crow for $700k...

JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.JimBow must go.

Posted by: Berndaddy | August 16, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

How does Jonathan Mayo, a guy covering all the top 10 picks, beat Chico to this? It may just be me taking out my frustration about the team right now, but it seems as if Chico takes more off days than any Post beat writer, and fails to get up the high demand info in good time.

Posted by: Jason | August 16, 2008 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Nice going by the agent -- Crow loses a year of development for a measley half million.

I have no problems letting this guy go, but I do wonder if what the agent told Chico -- i.e., that they told Bowden Crow would be seeking an unreasonable salary -- is true. If so, JimBo doesn't get off scott free on this one. If its all about the draft picks (which is the snake oil we've been sold), the very least that the organization could do is draft a kid who isn't going to be so unreasonable that he isn't going to be signed.

Taking a slot pick in '09 is nice, but its just one more year to have to wait for one more guy. Life isn't eternal. The future has to ARRIVE at some point.

Posted by: Ray | August 16, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

This press conference is going to be real interesting.

Posted by: Dave at Bottomfeeder Baseball | August 16, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't know what to say.

Except--sign Fire Jim Bowden the petition:

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 16, 2008 12:40 AM | Report abuse

Alvarez is a Pirate. Oh boy, this is turning out to be a bad night. It seems as if we just pushed our year of not being terrible back another year.

Posted by: Jason | August 16, 2008 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh and Kansas City signed their first-round picks, so the Nationals will have the 10th pick overall next year. Stan Kasten and the Chamber of Commerce types on some of these message boards can spin this till the cows come home, but this is a disaster. The Yankees can get away with not signing a first-round pick, but not a weak franchise with a bruised, cynical fanbase like the Nats.

Posted by: Vincent | August 16, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Vincent is 100% right. Forget the top Free Agents, even the kids in the draft don't want to come here. What's in The Plan to fix this one?

Posted by: DandyDon | August 16, 2008 12:52 AM | Report abuse

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 16, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse

Well, so much for my gut feeling. Where's RKGF when you need him. For 700K over five years, we didn't sign Crow? Great. That's less than one night's revenue a year. Are the Lerners really that cheap, or is Bowden that incompetent?

I'm not bouncing of the walls because I suspect the backstory is that Crow really didn't want to play for the Nationals, and can you blame him?

Wait till next year, or next decade.

Posted by: Section 222 | August 16, 2008 12:53 AM | Report abuse