Lineups

This is Zach Berman at Nationals Park, where the Nationals try to rebound from a sweep by Milwaukee. The New York Mets are not too hot, either, losing their last two games.

Many intriguing storylines in this series -- I'll keep the blog as fresh as possible. For the time being, here are tonight's lineups...

Washington

Carlos Delgado- 1B
Fernando Tatis- RF
Damion Easley- 2B
Ramon Castro- C
Johan Santana - P

By Chico Harlan  |  August 12, 2008; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Exit notes from Miller Park
Next: Clubhouse Changes, Injury Updates and more...

Comments

With the exception of Reyes and Wright (and maybe Beltran) that team looks OLD and VULNERABLE. Sure, Delgado's still dangerous, but Easley? Castro? Tatis? Evans? Hell...I'll take OUR lineup over that.

That might be the first time I've ever said that...

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 12, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

There is that minor problem of the #9 hitter on the mound though...that could make it tough.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 12, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking that the only way we beat them tonight is to *try* and be patient at the plate which hopefully would get Santana's pitch count high earlier in the game (relatively). Then we can let the Mets' bullpen give us the game...

Posted by: WN | August 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

To borrow from Skip Caray, rest in peace, "The Nats take the field, like lambs to the slaughter."

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The Braves are leaving Richmond. I read a story that said that the Carolina League (Single A) was looking to expand to Richmond.

But I also read that Columbus wants to dump the Nats and get another AAA team. I think the Nats would be crazy not to try and find a way to move AAA to Richmond

Posted by: Nats in Richmond | August 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Well said WN. I think even the Nats can feast on the Mets bullpen woes.

The question is, after our recent performances against real aces, can we outlast Santana? We only have 9 innings...

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@756 - I am sorry some a--hole made you feel unwelcome. I enjoy reading your posts. Please continue.

@Dale- Glad you liked the following. Where you want the Lerners to build NatsPo Park would be even more alluring, allowing them to develop a Tysons IV in Richmond.
*******************************************
The Lerners should build a new Minor League Park in Richmond and put the AAA team there-The NatsPos (goes w/PoNats and the theme of impoverished ownership.) It would only cost 10-20 Lo Duca's. They could put it next to the All-Night Krispy Kreme on Broad Street that is now Richmond's main attraction and call it The Big Doughnut, which will remind us what to bring to NatsPark to sit on after paying what we pay to see what we see.

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 3:38 PM

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

NiR, the topic of MiLB affiliate musical chairs has been covered pretty heavily in NJ comments during the last week or so. If you're interested, I recommend those archives and NFA.

Posted by: 3434 | August 12, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

ND,
That's certainly true... but hopefully this is one of those times that the Nats defy odds and put together some good at-bats.

Posted by: WN | August 12, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Paul Byrd cleared waivers and is going to Boston. I think the Nats should try to move Perez to clear roster space for a young guy like Clippard.

Perez's numbers are fairly comparable to Byrd.

Byrd: 7-10 4.53 ERA 131 IP
Perez: 5-8 4.10 ERA 112 IP

Seriously, Bowden.....Get a deal done

Posted by: trade Odalis Perez | August 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Any chance we might see the re-emergence of Ryan Church during this series?

Posted by: masnstinks | August 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Something vaguely familiar about that Nats batting order.

Posted by: PTBNL | August 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

The Boston Red Sox acquired pitcher Paul Byrd from Cleveland on Tuesday, hoping to boost a rotation hurt by an injury to Tim Wakefield and the struggles of Clay Buchholz.

The Red Sox will send either a player to be named or cash to the Indians.

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Milledge and Flores go back-to-back every time they're up, leading to a close up of Minaya every time it happens. Where's Don Sutton's favorite catcher "Brian Snyder?" Injured?

Posted by: Highway 295 Revisited | August 12, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

My gut (which is not as big as Ray Kings, and has no basis in fact) tells me that if they could have traded Perez they would have. He's not part of the plan, and I don't see us making a late pennant bid.

3434- Sorry, please don't take my dislike of Soriano personally. I just didn't like him. The point about how a big name might sell some seats/beers/t-shirts/advertising may have been lost on the Lerner family but it is not lost on the rest of us. Remember home runs? Those were fun...

Posted by: Ben | August 12, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

It's all good. I was never much of a Sori fan either.

Remember swinging third strikes on sliders two feet from the plate? You probably do. There were more of those than there were homers.

Posted by: 3434 | August 12, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

it's been reported earlier by the NY press that Church's season may just be about over due to lingering effects from his concussion(s).

Posted by: e | August 12, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Swinging third strikes... hmmm sounds familiar. Probably also because that still seems to happen a lot.

Posted by: WN | August 12, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Good thing he taught the chase the ball down and away part trick to his buddy Ryan before he left.

Posted by: Ben | August 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Perez's numbers are fairly comparable to Byrd.

Byrd: 7-10 4.53 ERA 131 IP
Perez: 5-8 4.10 ERA 112 IP

Seriously, Bowden.....Get a deal done

Posted by: trade Odalis Perez | August 12, 2008 4:51 PM

If only JimBo had given Od Perez $7m instead of a piddling $850,000 that might be possible.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | August 12, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Who's Zach Berman?

Posted by: ohplease | August 12, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

What NattyDelite said.

They have Schneider and Church. We have Flores and Milledge. They have Easley, we have Boni. We're on the right track.

But we need to sign Teixeira. His age, his bat and his position make him the rare free agent signing that would be consistent with The Plan.

We also need to sign Crow, but I'm in the ilk of people who think that's already done and that we're just waiting until the deadline to announce.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | August 12, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Too bad the Nats can't move AAA to Richmond and too bad the CrapO's already have Norfolk.

Maybe the Lerners should buy a AAA franchise and move it to Richmond. I would think Richmond would be too big of a city to be happy with a single A team

Posted by: Too bad | August 12, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

From the Olympic SportsSmog:

The Americans explain how easily they've gotten tickets to whatever events they wanted this week, including today's supposedly high-demand China-Spain basketball game.

"It's a joke how many empty seats there were," Hedquist says.

"It's like going to a stadium in D.C.," Campitelli adds, with typical Philly charm.

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Cue Sect. 506... :D

---

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

At least we won't have to watch Felipe Lopez hit a grand slam against Aaron Heilman like the last time the Mets were in town. I love this new team with all this new energy!

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

I thought the same thing when I saw that Paul Byrd deal. If the Sox are interested in him, there *has* to be a taker for Redding or Perez (or both). Shoot, I'd kinda like to see Mock go every 5th day from here on out to see what he can do. He's put up some darn impressive K and BB numbers this year at AAA.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 12, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

flynnie, you almost blew that one by me but I do believe that was a bit of snark coming from you! ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 12, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@MASNSTINKS--the Mets reportedly don't expect Church back this year, but they don't know what's wrong with him really. Post-concussion.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 12, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Please move Perez. He has been a good FA acquisition, but we need youngins starting at this point.....

Take a single A player or cash, but get something in return

Posted by: Keep Redding, but trade Perez or move him to long relief | August 12, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

OK, so this'll get me heckled out of the yard, but what the heck...

Gary Sheffield is on waivers. His contract for next year is $12m. How about him for 1B now and then a right-handed platoon partner for Nick?

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 12, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, 1a, I thought 506 would be baited into an appearance by the Philly fan's dig at D.C. baseball. Now that Bonifacio is 0-18 and has not hit since leaving Colorado, the Diamondback's fan's answer to 506's inquiry about what we were getting for Rauch comes back like a tolling bell: "Let them find out for themselves."

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

SoCh - Can he still hit? If he can, I'm for signing him and Bonds as a package - now. I've seen my last "Stranding of the Bases Loaded with No Out Nats" - just give me anybody who can hit with RISP - ANYBODY!

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Well - gotta go - gotta watch archery or rhythmic gymnastics or Teddy Atlas announce 10,00 boxing matches. I love Teddy Atlas. When he was learning to be a trainer under Cus D'Amato, he let Mike Tyson stay at the Atlas family home. While a houseguest, Tyson tried to molest Teddy's kid sister. Teddy met Tyson outside Cus D'Amato's gym as Tyson was getting out of a cab. He puts a loaded .38 to Tyson's temple, and, addressing Mr. Tyson as "You walking piece of sh!t," tells him that he thinks the world will be a better place if he pulls the trigger, and Mike needs to respond by nodding politely, which he does, and agreeing to never get near Teddy's house or family again, which he does. Now Teddy's a millionaire announcer for the Olympics! God Bless America!

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

flynnie, you go from being the epitome of optimism to this snark wielding dark humor juggernaut sometimes.

I like it, it keeps me off balance.

Posted by: NattyDelite! | August 12, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Mark Texiera will not sign with the nats unless we can show him we are serious about contending,and frankly I don't see that happening we need veteran leadership not a bunch of washed up just looking to get paid has beens but solid good character players.We need to find a manager who is pro active about our young players getting better. We should revamp all of our coaches and managers starting with Manny Acta( too laid back) Randy St. Claire(maybe worth keeping)Tom Tollman(worst 3bs coach i've seen in a while)Lenny Harris(not experienced enough) and the rest should be shown the door. The Lerners need to hire someone who can help them reorganize quickly yes that means that Jimbo and Stan the Plan need to go also and not a moment too soon!! If the Lerners want the fan base to stay solid and increase they need to get serious about making changes NOW!! don't be fooled by modest win streaks as the season winds down this franchise needs a personel facelift from top to bottom. Gentleman the clock is ticking.

Posted by: dargregmag@aol.com | August 12, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Nice to hear from you NattyDelite! I've watched this team too much, which is much more naught than jugger, and I want the 13 game win streak that Boswell said is statistically inevitable, even for the worst of teams. I guess he didn't have this "worst" in mind when he made that prediction. He would rather go to Red China than the Food Court on the Anacostia, that all-important anchor to Tyson's III, and I would rather go home.

Posted by: flynnie | August 12, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

isnt it tie goes to the runner?

i just want one person to get into an umps ear for a change. you cant play conservative when you suck. another break wont come back around. fight for something.

Posted by: theraph | August 12, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

and now im quiet. thank you baseball gods for the lesson.

Posted by: theraph | August 12, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

What a catch! What a throw! Double play.

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 12, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Paul Byrd since the All-Star break:
4-0
1.25 ERA

Posted by: Tom | August 12, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

1) Move Perez and get whatever you can for him. Minor league player, cash, stick of gum, etc. Promote young pitcher. Keep Redding for next year.

2) Sign Willie Harris for utility role next year. He's earned it.

3)Don't activate Boone. There is no point in him playing again this season.

4)Let Orr go and promote a young player.

5)Keep Belliard because I am not sold on Bonafacio.

6) Offseason....get a REAL #4 hitting 1B. In the meantime, I'd rather them promote a guy like Larry Broadway who is no great shakes, but is no worse than what we got now. He has played in the Montreal/Was minor league system for awhile. Just let him play. He can do no worse.

Posted by: Moves that need to be done | August 12, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse