Lineups from Wrigley

So this is my first trip to Wrigley, but it feels like I've been here before. In a way, I have. Like so many kids, I grew up with afternoon baseball on WGN. I tried my Harry Caray imitations. I can still name the 1991 Cubs' pitching staff. Within the little compartments of my brain, Mike Bielecki is a household name.

Walking in here is a treat. Nothing at Wrigley is quite white any more, and the smells are old and great, all... earned. I think you could knock the stadium down and the smell would still be here - it's a grand mix of beer and salty pretzels and roasted nuts. Even the vendors here look like fans; most are wearing Cubs T-shirts older than Ron Santo.

Every other stadium I've been to, the clubhouses are located in a bunker level, closed off to fans. But here, players must walk through the main concourse -- past all the merchandise stores and hot dog stands -- to get to the player entrance. "Different," Ryan Zimmerman said. "But I like it. No other place is like this."

During batting practice today, I sat down in the dugout next to bench coach Pat Corrales, who's been in baseball 50 years.

How has Wrigley changed?

"There was no soundsystem 50 years ago," he said. "I remember, they'd have some guy with a megaphone come on the field and announce the batter." (And here, Corrales cupped his hands around his mouth, all the better for echo sound effects.) "Attention, attention," he continued. "Now batting... Jose... Lopez!"

Anyway, today's lineups. (Without echoes.)

Washington

Johnson - 8
Soto - 2
DeRosa - 9
Cedeno - 4
Marquis - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 22, 2008; 1:40 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Guzman Back, and the Other 17 Starters
Next: Lingering rain and elbow stiffness

Comments

Go Nats! Time for two in a row...

Posted by: BSG | August 22, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Best singles bar in the city.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 22, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Let's win two (in a row)!

Posted by: leetee1955 | August 22, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

That guy is now sitting in section 310 or thereabouts for most games at Nationals Park.

Posted by: and the Lerners pay him late too | August 22, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

hope this rain doesn't slow the nats' momentum. ;D

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

no austin powerless? works for me.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 22, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

That would be Pat Pieper, who started in about 1916, and retired in the mid-70s IIRC.

I still hear him in my head before every baseball game I'm at: "Ladies and gentlemen: Your attention, please! Have your pencils and scorecards ready. I will now give you the CORRECT lineups for today's game."

He really did go around with a megaphone to announce changes. He said, by the time he'd get all the way around, there were always more changes, and he'd start right out again.

*******
"There was no sound system 50 years ago," he said. "I remember, they'd have some guy with a megaphone come on the field and announce the batter." (And here, Corrales cupped his hands around his mouth, all the better for echo sound effects.) "Attention, attention," he continued. "Now batting... Jose... Lopez!"

Posted by: CE | August 22, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Peiper also called out "Play ball!" over the PA, loudly, after the anthem, every game.

Posted by: CE | August 22, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Pieper, not Peiper.
Sorry, Pat.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 22, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Let's get some runs!

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

From way out in left field

April 2, 2006
BY DAVE HOEKSTRA
Sun-Times Staff Reporter

From 1893 to 1915, the Cubs played in a 16,000-seat wood and steel park... [Mike] Reischl wants to have a historical marker installed at 912 S. Wood in a tulip garden near what would have been the center field flagpole of West Side Grounds. When the Cubs played at West Side Grounds, a psychiatric building stood behind the left field wall. Patients often yelled peculiar things out of their windows, which is widely considered to be at the root of the phrase, "That came out of left field."
....
But Reischl has done the research. He also uncovered the fact that legendary field announcer Pat Pieper began his baseball career as a West Side park vendor in 1904. He became the Cubs field announcer in 1915 and remained as the Cubs public address announcer until 1974.

Posted by: Now I've got me started... | August 22, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Any word on the length of the rain delay?

Sheesh, L*ng*rh*ns or Kearns, what a choice... I thought they'd at least ride the new kid for a week until he cools off or goes on the DL. Go Emilio!

Posted by: cat daddy | August 22, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 22, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

"The tarp is still on the field, but WGN is saying that things should clear up "imminently."

You know, if the Cubs hadn't paid for their tarp, it would have been reposessed and they'd be playing baseball right now.

Posted by: just sayin' | August 22, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Kearns is a career 8-19, .421 .476 .737 with two homers against Marquis.

Now they bench him...

Posted by: cat daddy | August 22, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

OK... I know neither are what you'd consider must haves in the nAAAAts current lineup but don't you have to think that 2/5 with a key 2-out RBI and 1/3 with a GW RBI net Hernandez and (yes... flame away) Kearns opportunities to start the next day? Far be it from me to question MActa but that seems like the kind positive energy you want to see catch on. I'm just saying it seems odd for position players who are neither advancing in age or catching to make meaningful contributions one night then be sat down to rest the following day.

Posted by: What the @#!? | August 22, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Freshly popped.

Posted by: new post | August 22, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Charlie and Dave say start time of about 3:20 Eastern time.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 22, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Offense/offensive and good point just sayin'. You can't just run down to, say, a mall or something and pick some up...

And while we wait, here's what makes Philly special:

Philly's boo babies bark, can't take Rollins' bite

Posted by: cat daddy | August 22, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Best singles bar in the city.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 22, 2008 1:47 PM

Umm, certainly you're referring to the Red Loft at Nats Park. People in Chicago are hardly going to the effort and expense to go to Wrigley just for the atmosphere these days, now that the team is good.

Posted by: Kev | August 22, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

For now, that it. Wait till next year...

"now that the team is good."

Posted by: Tribune | August 22, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

For now, that "is." We apologize for the error. Too bad that we had to let all of our editors go.

Posted by: Tribune Co. | August 23, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse