MLB's replay

As mentioned, Major League Baseball will be implementing replay starting Thursday. Lots of people were talking about it, mainly becuase the media dopes like myself wanted to know everyone's opinion. (I've never heard the phrase slippery slope uttered so many times in succession; it turned into the token follow-up question.)

Here's what some people were saying today at Nats Park:

Nationals Manager Manny Acta
What do you think?
I like it. I think they made the right decision when it comes to only being home runs foul or fair because the new dimensions and the way the new stadiums are built makes it very tough on the umpires. I believe that that's the only part where they're going to be taking the human element part of the game. So I like it.

When do you like human element?
Its been done for over 100 years and I think you just ant take it away. I don't know, maybe in 100 years we're going to have a machine calling balls and strikes, but I don't want to see that. You just cant play the game like that because the game, there's too many continuations in place and you don't have the time to stop at the board and look at th computer telling you if you're safe or out.

Worry about slippery slope?
I don think they're going to go any farther I think this is pretty cut and dry and I think ppl will resist any other implement.

Dodgers Manager Joe Torre
Like it?
You want to get it right and I think all the umpires, I think maybe a number of years ago umpires were a little stubborn about asking for help but I think you've seen more over the last 15 years more guys getting together talking about things. . . . Just the fact they're trying to get it right, when it's something like a home run or fair-foul call . . . I think it makes sense.

Worry about slippery slope?

Washington National Aaron Boone
What's your take?
Fine. I'm kind indifferent. Done right on a small level, I guess I like it.

Why?
If you have a chance to get a fair or foul call right, u may as well get it right and it doesn't affect if this runner or all that kind a stuff. Done right on a limited basis and I like it.

What's different from a home run call or a safe-out call?
On the surface, I guess u can't really justify one or the other. It just seems to me in baseball, umpires are there to make judgments. I think fair and foul on home runs sometimes it's a missable call. So I think you may as well get that right if you can.

Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden
What do you think?
I've always been a big supporter of instant replay. I think Major League Baseball and the umpires association have done a tremendous job putting together a good plan to make it work and be successful. I think its great knowing we can got into the offseason and if there's a call that's made wrong because of human error we have a chance to correct it and have a team lose a very important playoff game because of it.

Slippery slope?
I think everything in life, when you develop something 10 years down the road we'll all find a better way to do it. But I think the approach everyone's taking, and making it only on home run calls, is the right thing to make. .... Like everything else we'll just adjust if we can find better ways to do it.

But you do like it?
I've always been a fan of it since the first year I was a GM. It was voted down 27-to-1 back then. They all kinda laughed at me.

-- Mark Viera

By Chico Harlan  |  August 26, 2008; 7:57 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dodgers pregame
Next: Welcome back, Elijah

Comments

and they're still laughing at him...

Posted by: SF Fan | August 26, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

2 hbp, the pitcher walked by Balester, 0 outs and bases loaded. Time to think back on Charlie and Dave's great moments! When I was coming out of the Home Depot in 2005 and heard the heartfelt, "Bang, Zoom!" when the Chief of Cardiology astounded a Charlie who was used to calling Tampa games, when Tampa was still "bitter as devil's spit" (Stephen Hunter-we love you! What a gift in our hour of need!) The experience of calling the woeful Devil Rays' games stood Charlie in good stead during a game this year in which there were 3 errors by Our Nats, and Charlie said, in a happy voice identical to his IHOP inflections, "This is the worst inning we've seen all year!" His philosophical comments on the Jewish Wedding of the Philly Phanatic as Dave struggles to cal the game is in my Charlie and Dave Hall of Fame, as is Charlie's "Cry for Coffee" in RFK and Dave's scolding, abstemious response. Dave's comments on Jr. Steinbrener's critique of the NL after Wang's injury on the basepaths, and then his saying, "Kiss that job goodbye!" The thrilling intro to the broadcast, especially Dave's call of Felipe Lopez's grand slam against Aaron Heilman to break open a game against the Mets last May, and Charlie's call of Zimmerman's walk-off on opening night in the new park. The best four words in our language? Charlie or Dave saying, "We're ready for baseball. "

Posted by: flynnie | August 26, 2008 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flynnie | August 26, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Nice new and improved format for this blog.

Posted by: cat daddy | August 26, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Were the comments not working earlier? I know it's the Nats but for even them this is a little weak.

Posted by: Jason | August 26, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jason | August 26, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

When was the last time we saw the bullpen hold a game like this? It feels good, real good.

Balestar drove me nuts in the inning that he walked the pitcher to load the bases.

Posted by: Dale | August 26, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

The comments were working only sporadically, Jason (and the function still seems to be glitchy). Also, the lineup posting that had comments disappeared and the one without comments stayed. So it's not as bad as it might appear.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 26, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

natsfan1a, I think the hamsters ate up some wires or something.....

Dale, the bullpen did great, although Wild Joel did get help from the Dodgers. Good thing the comments blew up first, 'cause it would have blown up later if Hanrahan had been any less successful...

Posted by: cat daddy | August 26, 2008 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Okay Kearns, you got company...

"Alex Rodriguez flopped all night... grounded into two inning ending double plays -- one with the bases loaded -- flied out with two on in the fifth, and struck out for the final out.
He also committed an error at third base.

A-Rod, 1-for-10 this season with the bases loaded, has grounded into nine double plays in his last 19 games.

The three-time MVP finished 0-for-5 and was booed loudly."

Posted by: cat daddy | August 27, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

"Worry about slippery slope?
It's tough to overturn safe and out then you'll get in to ball and strike and then all of the sudden people have to pack more than a lunch to get here to the ballpark."

-----------

What does this mean, Joe? I don't understand.

Posted by: Choowee | August 27, 2008 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I'll give it a shot, Choowee: It's tough enough to overturn a call on the base paths, then you get into looking at calls on balls and strikes, and all of sudden people might need to pack lunch and dinner for a day at the park because the game will last so long (and don't forget to pack the wheat grass juice, Joe :-)).

cat daddy: nah, the wheel just needs a little WD 40.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 27, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse