More on Nieto

OK, an update on Nieto.

GM Jim Bowden confirmed the signing.

According to the team release, Nieto will report on Tuesday to the Nationals' Gulf Coast League affiliate.

This year, no other fifth-round pick has received a bonus exceeding $225,000. The draftees before and after Nieto received bonuses of $180,000 and $185,000, respectively.

The Nieto "bio" from the release: "The 18-year-old is considered to have one of the best bats among catching prospects selected in this season's draft. Nieto led his high school to a state championship as a senior, batting .372 with 16 doubles, five home runs and 38 RBI for American Heritage High School (FL). The switch hitter compiled a .361 batting average with four homers and 17 RBI during an injury-plagued junior campaign, earning him spots in the AFLAC All-American Classic and USA Baseball Tournament of Stars. He entered the national spotlight after hitting .381 with four home runs and 27 RBI during a breakout sophomore season, when he was cited as an AFLAC All-American and was named All-County and Third-Team All-State. Nieto was born in Havana, Cuba, and emigrated to the United States with his family at the age of 4."

Oh, and while I have a moment, let's dish out today's lineups:

Washington

Hart - 9
Hall - 5
Cameron - 8
Rivera - 2
Parra - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 10, 2008; 12:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats, Nieto agree
Next: When Walking Makes Sense

Comments

Golly imagine what Bowden could do if the team wasn't so cheap. Never allowing him to pay top dollar for talent. God, the Lerners suck. I knew they'd never sign Nieto. I hate this team.

Wait, what did you say? I was too busy ranting and missed it.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | August 10, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I asked in the last thread about Crow and his senior season. If he goes back, what are the chances that he will replicate his junior year and go in the top 10? It just seems like throwing a lot to fate if he gives up top 10 money to go back to school...so many things can go wrong. Also, There will be pretty good value at the #10 spot next year. Maybe not Crow, but perhaps a talented bat.

Posted by: Cavalier | August 10, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

The Lerners got rich by being stupid and paying too much. Oh wait I mean the Lerners got rich by being smart.

You can argue that they are cheap for not signing good free agents. But draft picks? This Crow guy is asking for an awful lot. Do the Lerners want to consistently overpay their draft picks? They needed to overpay last year to stock the minors. If we don't sign Crow, we get an extra 1st round draft pick next year and have shown that we won't cave to unreasonable demands.

I really hope we sign Crow, but won't bash the Lerners if we don't. The guy is asking for the moon.

Posted by: Lerner bashing | August 10, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Why is Kearns still batting 4th?? ::Cries::

Posted by: Common Sense | August 10, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

He was one of our 2nd round picks in 2006. The Nats couldn't sign him. He goes to college at Seton Hall and is not playing like a 2nd rounder.

Last season he went 3-3 with 5.66 ERA. This season he went 3-3 with a 3.44 ERA. He only started 8 of the 17 games he appeared in. I doubt he would go as a 2nd rounder now.

Hopefully Crow will realize that there is a good chance he would get drafted lower next year and sign a more reasonable deal

Posted by: ever heard of Sean Black | August 10, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lerner bashing | August 10, 2008 1:20 PM

Define "unreasonable" demands.

This is a team with a major league payroll FAR below what its market dictates. They SHOULD be overpaying for player developement, that's what they promised in lieu of major league spending.

When they are fighting with the 28th pick after their second post season appeareance then I can handle the holdthe line stuff. Now, there is no excuse not to sign draft picks. None.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | August 10, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

A lot of this delay in signing Crow could be posturing. When push comes to shove, my guess is that they will come to terms. If in fact Crow wants a deal in the ballpark of $6 mil like Chico suggests, then I can see why they aren't rushing out to meet his demands.

Both sides have a lot to lose so I am thinking a deal will get done. Lerners don't want the bad fan reaction and Crow doesn't want to blow his payday and go back to pitching for free and hoping against injury or dropping in the draft order.

All I am saying is if they pass on him at $6mil so that the next guy doesn't ask for $6mil I am ok with that. We'll get an extra 1st rounder next year. The team is years away from being good.

I'd rather them sign a real CLEANUP hitter. That is there biggest need in my opinion.

Posted by: Lerner Bashing | August 10, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Why is Kearns still batting 4th?? ::Cries::

Posted by: Common Sense | August 10, 2008 1:23 PM
-------------------------------------------
Because somebody has to.

Posted by: BIM | August 10, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

That Parra in the Brewers' lineup? That would be Manny Parra, who throws the ball with his left hand.

I won't be able to do this every game, folks. Harlan might have to step up. (Is that suitably passive-aggressive for a single-issue poster? Am I doing this right?)

Posted by: Scooter | August 10, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

SoCH -lol.

Gal (can't use your whole name or my wife would wash my mouth out with soap for not respecting a lady) I agree.

Posted the following on NFA:

Great!

FO, that wasn’t so hard, now, was it?

Now, how good do you want to be?
Your (my) priorities are:
Maintain our position as #10 Farm -
Crow, Hicks,
WOW factor a la McGreary last year -
Silverstein
Leap frog farms 1-9 -
Ramirez, Coleman,
We’re talking 4 dynamite arms and a toolsy young OF.
Routine, i.e., offer slot $
Espinoza, Jones, Adkins (none of whom excite me. If you must establish the use of the slot amounts, here is a place to do so without hurting us, although the more signed the better as far as I am concerned.

Let’s sign a minimum of 4 and,

Let’s play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 10, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Well i'm glad we can have a day without all the "learners are cheap" talk. Nieto could be a great pick HS catchers are tough to predict and I would always hesitate to draft one in the 1st or 2nd round, but here we got that level of talent in the 5th round and only paid 3rd. round money. I think this was a job well done by the Nats.

As for Crow I do think it is a bigger risk for him to go back in the draft, even given the Fact that Strassburg, Gibson and company will be the top players, there may be a few guys coming back from this draft that would compete for that role, Alveraz, Alonzo, Matuz, even Tanner Scheppers. Crow may slide into the 15-20 range, thus signifcantly lowering his draft slot.

Posted by: Steveo | August 10, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I have a few thoughts on this whole draft-pick thing.

1. I'm guessing that we can in fact get someone of Crow's ability next year at #10. My reasoning: unless I'm much mistaken, we got him this year at #9.

2. I fear that some commenters are vastly overestimating the potential fan reaction to the team's failure to sign some college kid that many of those fans have never heard of.

3. Although I don't follow this draft thing very closely, I can't recall hearing a single word from the Nationals about intending to pay "slot." All I remember hearing is that they might not sign all their picks. Those kvetching about the Nats claiming to be a "slot" team are seriously putting words in the front office's collective mouth. And I believe the signings to date belie such a characterization.

4. It would be very nice to sign all of these kids and get more of them in the pipeline this year rather than next.

5. Game on!

Posted by: Scooter | August 10, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Scooter: the draft is not static. Talent between years fluctuates, so while you get a compensatory pick just after where you picked the previous year, that pick is not necessarily the same in terms of talent. Other than that, I agree: game on!

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 10, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Did I see that right? Parra threw 6 pitches in the first inning? oy...

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 10, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"Hi! my name is Austin Kearns and I am fond of looking at called third strikes."

overheard at Hitters Anonymous

Posted by: AKs | August 10, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Without a doubt, o/o, the draft has different kids every year. I probably should have pasted the specific post from earlier today that moved me to join the discussion:

"passing on Crow would be insane. You just don't get those kinds of players around the #10 position."

Clearly, this poster didn't entirely think through what he said before clicking that big button. His wasn't the only comment I've seen along those lines, but it's certainly the easiest to pick on.

Posted by: Scooter | August 10, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

That is the best that the Kearns supporters can come up with?

WTF?

Posted by: Because Someone Has To? | August 10, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The dichotomy here on signing these draft picks is not between cheap/not cheap. Instead, it is between cheap/doing the bare minimum to improve. As GRiP rightly said, they should be overpaying for player development right now, as that is what they promised they would do to improve and become a premier organization. It really is the only course available if they're not going to change course and start going after big-ticket free agents.

The *marginal* dollars we are talking about here with respect to signing draft picks is relatively small--LoDuca money, at best, and more likely Mackowiak and Estrada money. The Nats have to be willing to spend that. And they have to be willing to draft "signability" guys and then sign them at a premium, following the Tigers' model. Otherwise, just hoping that they can do a better job at identifying talent than all the other teams do, and sign those guys within their "budget" is hardly a "Plan" and hardly demonstrative of a serious commitment to winning.

Posted by: Lerners ARE Cheap | August 10, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Hey if there is a man on first and one out is it ok if I hit an infield grounder?

Doh! I SUCK.

Posted by: AKs | August 10, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

We have a ridiculous amount of left handed hitters. We have no right handed hitter to platoon with Harris.....geez

Posted by: Right McRightington | August 10, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see the Learners making progress with the signing today. And as more ammo against the Lerners are Cheap crowd: since Metro is now prohibited from providing charter services, the Redskins are not offering shuttle service from the Landover Metro station to FedEx field. The Post article said that if Snyder switched to a private company, they would have to up the fare from $6 to $20. Compare that to the free service that the Nats have been offering to their fans all season from RFK. The Nats do this 81 times a year and Snyder can't fork out even a portion of the money to provide the service for 8 games. I'm sure that the Lerners are paying a lot to provide the free parking and shuttle, and I really appreciate it as a fan. It'll be interesting to see if this continues next year (though I doubt it will).

Posted by: brent | August 10, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Comparing the Lerners with Danny boy is not fair. Daniel Snyder makes anyone look generous

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Here come some more Kearns sucks comments after that strike out

Posted by: wait for it wait for it | August 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Kearns strikes (out) again. Guhhhh

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Way to go Milledge!!

"Guzman to 3rd, Zimmerman to 2nd" says Carpenter after the RBI single...

Posted by: CN | August 10, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

@brent: The shuttles from RFK will probably continue through 2009, based on the Lerners' best interests & ongoing development around Nationals' Park. We may also see a downward adjustment in premium seat costs, but don't hold your breath on that one.

Posted by: BIM | August 10, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Crow may be a "make a statement so they don't think we are pushovers" guy, as a message to next year's draft class. There a lot of guys who are not signed in the top 10, so if one or two juniors go back to college, that should deepen next year's draft (and we'll be neaer the top).

The guy I thought that was supposed to be a sleeper was Espinosa. College middle infielders often tend to do well. Is he in the mold of our current young MIs, or is he a hitter first? I thought I heard he might be fast to the majors. On to NFA to check.

Posted by: PTBNL | August 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@anon: No, the Danny does not make our owners look generous, he only (comparatively) makes them look smart.

Posted by: BIM | August 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Here comes an out. It is Langerhans

Posted by: No not Langerhans | August 10, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Even his outs are hit solidly (of Langerhans ground out). Nice solid ground ball right at the 2b.

Posted by: Don Sutton | August 10, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Um, yes, comments are made when Austin Kearns strikes out.

If you watch 150+ games a year, you see patterns and then discuss them.

If Austin would stop striking out, then we wouldnt talk about it.

He CAN'T produce as a 4 hole hitter in the major leagues. Fact. Fact. Fact.

Posted by: AKs | August 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

There is no one else on the team to hit 4th. One of the failures of trader Jim.

Posted by: No one else to hit 4th | August 10, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

From the baseball section of todays New YORK Times..

"In a sport most often governed by conventional wisdom, Brewers Mgr Ned Yost has a flair for subverting the paradigm. Whether he is batting the pitcher 8th or moving a former 50-HR hitter out of the cleanup slot, Yost has been willing to tray anything to give his team a competitive edge."

Huh, do you think Manny knows about this loophole? That apparently you can change your batting order after opening day. That just because one "thinks" someone is a cleanup hitter doesnt mean that he has to hit there everyday?

And apparently, this is looked upon positively, as a willingness to try anything to give your team an edge.

Nope. F it. Lets just hit AKs 4th every day and congratulate ourselves every other week when it turns out to be a good move.

Posted by: All 9000 Agree | August 10, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Yes, there are other people to hit 4th.

They might not be prototypical 4 hole hitters but at least some guys are producing this year. Put them there instead of the doughnut. Why isnt it ever mentioned that Kearns might actually be more productive if he was hitting 6th.

The definition of stupid is: doing the same thing over and over and over and expecting a different result.

Posted by: C'mon now | August 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

'nother strikeout? err... huh?

Posted by: freakin austin kearns! | August 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Kearns hits a homerun. Nats take the lead! Excellent.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

even a broken clock is right twice a day

nice hit AKs

Posted by: Clock | August 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Now that's middle of the lineup production!! Milledge & Kearns each of 2 RBIs with Zimmerman chipping in the a key double & go-ahead run...

Posted by: CN | August 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Milledge!

Posted by: Patty | August 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Darn it!
My tv's broken. I just thought I saw AK go deep.
Oh, nevermind, it just showed Lastings launch one...it's ok now.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

back to back

Posted by: clock | August 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Thrilledge seems to have gained some power over the last few weeks. I like it.

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Very nice 2-out 8th,
Zimm with a GREAT AB,
Kearns surprising all of us, and
Holy shamoley, Milledge!!!!

Thank you kindly Mr. Gagne!

Cheers and happy baseball!

Posted by: nats del negro | August 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

well, shoot...

Posted by: BSG | August 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

i think i'm going to be ill.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 10, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

my thoughts have been censored

Posted by: BM | August 10, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

We'd still be winning if I were there

Posted by: Chad Cordero | August 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I wish I were still a Brewer

Posted by: Ronnie Belliard | August 10, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

For the last time.....AK is not a number 4 hitter, but there is NO ONE on the team who is a #4 hitter. NO ONE. In case you haven't noticed the hitting hasn't been great this season

Posted by: Austin Kearns | August 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Bitter....

come on Bonafacio.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

wonder if opposing pitchers have already figured out bonifacio?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Boni!

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

0 for his last 14...... That Rauch trade is looking better and better, huh? Rauch would have shut the door last inning.

Posted by: Bonafacio | August 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Come on, Emilio...

Posted by: BSG | August 10, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Please walk me. I can't hit

Posted by: Bonifacio | August 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

nanny nanny boo boo, you can't hit me Joel

Posted by: Strike Zone | August 10, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Dear umpires,

Please come into Hour Eyes. We are having specials on eye exams and select designer frames.

Posted by: Hour Eyes | August 10, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I hear some more Kearns complaints coming

Posted by: Wait for it, Wait for it | August 10, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

FOR THE LAST TIME..

actually we dont know if anyone ELSE is a 4 hold hitter as we repeat the same mistake day after day after day and refuse to see if anyone ELSE IS A 4 HOLE HITTER..

what we have is not working, if Ned Yost was managing he would try something new.

for the previous poster with the CAPS - quit thinking like a damn govt worker!

Posted by: I'll Second That | August 10, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

i don't need to see any of our players hit in the 4th spot to know they're not #4 hitters.

seriously.

it's pretty obvious not one player on this team is a #4. at least not right now.

Posted by: 231 | August 10, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

definitely don't like calamity's body language on the mound.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 10, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

if our bullpen hadn't blown up for 3 runs we wouldn't even be talking about #4 hitters.

Posted by: Patty | August 10, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

is it just me, or does calamity just not want to be in tight games?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 10, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Get him out of there!

Posted by: Patty | August 10, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Whew. That was close

Posted by: Offense/offensive | August 10, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

seriously, there is no one on the team who would be a good #4 hitter. Anyone who knows anything about baseball knows this. They can bat Kearns there or they can bat someone else there. It won't matter.

We have no power hitters, no hitters that the opposing pitcher would fear. No one to pitch around. Removing Kearns doesn't change that.

Who would you suggest be the cleanup hitter instead?

Posted by: no cleanup hitters | August 10, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watching and noticing some nice long periods of broadcaster silence?
This seems like a new thing (at least to me)… I dig it!

Posted by: nats del negro | August 10, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

The Nationals are having a draw-one-walk-get-one-free sale.

Posted by: Suicide Squeeze | August 10, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I suggest we try batting AK lower in the lineup to see if he is more productive

Posted by: Media Guide Momma | August 10, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Media Guide Momma,

Then who would you bat 4th?

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 5:55 PM | Report abuse

honestly? i'd bat belliard 4th if he was in the lineup. he has the best SLG% of any regular and one of the top 2-3 OBP of any regular.

Posted by: 231 | August 10, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Sadly Belliard would probably be better. They really need to sign someone in the offseason. It's pretty sad

Posted by: Anonymous | August 10, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

if the current paradigm didnt have Kearns as our only option in the 4 slot, would anyone suggest that we put the starters with the least amount of hrs and lowest slugging percentage there?

really?

Posted by: I'll Second That | August 10, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd sure like to be the Clean up hitter

Posted by: Pete Orr | August 10, 2008 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Ayala is warming up

Posted by: Game Over | August 10, 2008 6:13 PM | Report abuse

ugh, ayala's pitching! i'm changing the channel.

Posted by: rx985 | August 10, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

"gasoline alley" ayala in for the nats? time to take out the trash.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 10, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

"ugh, ayala's pitching! i'm changing the channel."

Good move.

Posted by: nats del negro | August 10, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Ayala has been a good Nat for years, but it is time to move on I am afraid. Bring up Shairon Martis.

I love the Nats, but they are terrible.

Posted by: I watched the game for this? | August 10, 2008 6:19 PM | Report abuse

good night and drive home safely. at least it didn't take long.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

that didnt take long..

Posted by: ugh | August 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Ack. Nieto's signing makes it all worth while. Would have liked to win, though.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | August 10, 2008 6:21 PM | Report abuse

At least Ayala will be available in the bull pen tomorrow since he only made a few pitches

Posted by: Ayala | August 10, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Does Ayala have options left?

Posted by: Media Guide Momma | August 10, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

if manny was just going to give up the game, why didn't he bring in the arsonist sooner and save the rest of the bullpen?

Posted by: natsscribe | August 10, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Bob Carpenter spent about 60% of the broadcast talking about the shadows at Miller Park

Posted by: Sal | August 10, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Any chance we can send Ayala back to the Mexican WBC team?

Posted by: MountieNatsFan | August 10, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Okay, so it's clear that John Lannan is cursed. Recommendations for removing the curse? I'm talking about serious ones, like cutting the head off a live rooster, not silly ones, like finding a lineup that can wait for a pitch.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | August 10, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

"Crow may be a "make a statement so they don't think we are pushovers" guy, as a message to next year's draft class."

----

I think the message would be "Pray we don't draft you."

Posted by: natswriter | August 10, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Well "The Opener" did his thing.

Very funny 506, perhaps we could ask his mound mates to walk fewer than 13.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | August 10, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that offense is craptastic. They get a 3 run inning and then the "magic" wears off. They can't situational hit to save their lives and Bonifacio is totally overmatched at this level - has he ever even drawn a walk? That stuff is killing them right now. The Rauch trade was stupid, and this kids will never be a starting second baseman for anyone other than the Nats....nice going now we've got ex-D'backs rejects coming our way!

Posted by: No More | August 10, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

It was only 60% of the game that Carpenter spent talking about the shadows? It seemed like a lot more. And, lucky us, we already now know that Bob will be back for '09. Yipee...

Posted by: BSG | August 10, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Why is Ayala a better option out of the pen than Mock? Not just for the future, but now.

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | August 10, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

"
And, lucky us, we already now know that Bob will be back for '09. Yipee...

Posted by: BSG | August 10, 2008 7:09 PM
"

This crowd will need something to complain about while the nats go 161-1 in '09 ... don't you see? The plan has something for everyone!

Posted by: i hate walks | August 10, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

i hate walks, appropriate day to reemerge. Good to see you again, terrible circumstances. I guess funerals always bring friends and family together.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | August 10, 2008 8:23 PM | Report abuse

They couldn't pitch Mock since he is starting tommorrow

Posted by: Mock | August 10, 2008 8:40 PM | Report abuse

can we IR alberto Gonzales already

Posted by: Attorney General | August 10, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

they said he was available off of the bench today, so i doubt they'll DL him.

Posted by: 231 | August 10, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, I'd like the team to sign their #1 pick. I don't agree with those who suggest we "have" to sign Crow. There's a dollar figure that makes sense and there's an amount that is too much. I'm willing to trust ownership to make the right decision. In addition, you really have to question $6 million. Crow hasn't thrown a single pitch in the major leagues and he might never take the mound for the Nationals. I thought the Paul Lo Duca signing was a poor idea but at least for $5 he had a track record. With Crow we might have an ace or we might have a bust. You have to pay the money and take a chance but there's no way it makes sense to consistenly over-pay. You can only do that if you're convinced you have a "sure thing" and it's pretty rare that you do.

Posted by: grf15 | August 10, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with you grf15. There's an amount that makes sense and there's an amount that's too much. I'd like to have all our picks signed, but if we miss this one, I'll trust that it was the right decision.

Besides, I don't like the idea of some punk kid who hasn't pitched a day in mlb getting all entitled and demanding.

Posted by: NatsNut | August 10, 2008 9:53 PM | Report abuse