Tonight's lineups

The Nationals played around with their 40-man roster today, outrighting two pitchers who've both had bullpen stints in the big leagues this season -- Brian Sanches and Chris Schroder. Both will remain with their current team, Class AAA Columbus, but both have been removed from the 40-man roster. This obviously clears some space for a few new additions, likely September call-ups.

Schroder pitched in four games for the Nats this season: five innings, three run.

Sanches had a lengthier (but rockier) tenure, appearing in 12 games. His ERA in those 11 innings (7.36) was his ticket back to the minors.

Here are the lineups for the series opener against the Braves

Atlanta

Belliard - 3
Dukes - 9
Flores - 2
Bonifacio - 4
Perez - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  August 29, 2008; 4:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The talent of Elijah Dukes
Next: Shawn Hill update

Comments

Dukes hits 2 HRs lat night and is batting 6th?

Posted by: estuartj | August 29, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Ya know, I'm kinda liking this lineup. Even middle of the order, these are young kids who have shown flashes of power at the plate. I can't help but wonder with a little coaching and some plate discipline if we won't start seeing a lot more dingers from this bunch next season. Only think I don't like is EBone needs to learn to get on base and be moved to the front of the line up.

Of course, I'd rather see a real first baseman than Belli. If we could get a decent starting pitcher, a middle of the order 1B with a big bat, a lights out closer and have some decent coaching (axe Tolman and Harris and serve notice to Acta) and roster management (bye bye JimBo) I think we could have a possible shot at getting near 0.500 next season.

Feeling optimistic after sweeping the Dodgers and to paraphrase SP 63:

Let's sweep two!!

Posted by: Desert Nat | August 29, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

As well as Dukes did last night, didn't he also do well before his most recent DL stint batting first or second?

Posted by: Juan-John | August 29, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: HammondsNats | August 29, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

LAC, you're being quite naive and rather arrogant yourself if you think there aren't quite a few of us out here who don't appreciate your largely one-note and often insulting comments.

Posted by: RKGF/419+1 ARE not alone | August 29, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

>That's bull that Schroder was taken off the list. A 4.46 ERA isn't that bad and he has been treated poorly by this organization. He's better than some of the options we have. Hopefully he gets another shot with someone else (or that we come to our senses and give a spot).<

Yeah I thought they should have at least brought him up for awhile this year. I think his problem is that his only major league pitch is his fastball. If his slider and changeup aren't working, and a lot of times he can't throw strikes with them, he gets toasted, that and the fact that when his arm angle flattens out, and it doesn't take much since he's already throwing 3/4 arm, then his ball sails. But he throws 94, and that's the reason he's stayed around. Only thing I can think is that he's relying too much on his hard stuff, and they didn't want to bring him up without a second pitch.

Posted by: Brue | August 29, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Chico.

I like your SP63 take, Desert Nat! From your mouth to the baseball deities' ears.

Anonymous poster, it's not enough that we had to wrap our brains around all of that today, now we have to puzzle over double negatives? I think that I'm gonna need a cup of coffee. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 29, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

all of that "math" - daggone online editing (proofreading gremlins must be on coffee break already)

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 29, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Re: Schroder being treated unfairly

If only there were some way to tell how a pitcher played when he wasn't at the major league level! Then we might know whether Schroder was having trouble this year or if he really was being cheated!

Schroder really regressed this year and his minor league stats prove it. Check 'em out.

Now, that's not to say he should be cut, I would bet he can get it back together. But when deciding who to call up, do you grab that or Brian Sanches?

And when Sanches doesn't work out, do you go for Schroder or Mock?

N.B. them's starting numbers, remember, evaluate a bit differently.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | August 29, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Add 2, carry the one ...

BobL, you were serious? I took that to be snark (and prime stuff, too), once I saw it was you.

I and cleaned up that precip like you asked. Can I have the weekend off?

********************
CE, don't go undermining a perfectly good argument with actual facts!

Seriously, though, even if the Alvarez negotiations didn't work out in the end, that's still the way the Crow negotiations should have been handled. Both sides played chicken and lost. Yeah, that means Crow and his agents were wrong, but it also means the Nats were wrong and lost out on their #1 pick. That sucks.

Now, somebody put a stop to this rain.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | August 29, 2008 2:08 PM

Posted by: CE (you know, that just isn't long enough. Maybe if I worked with Timbaland ...) | August 29, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

You can have the weekend off after you've arranged for the sw**p, ce.

Posted by: natsfan1a | August 29, 2008 6:32 PM | Report abuse

>Also, correct me if I'm wrong (I know you will), but wouldn't Schroder have to pass through waivers to be removed from the 40-man? If so, then every other team already had the chance to claim him and didn't, so the Nats aren't the only ones who think he needs to work out a few things in the minors.<

He couldn't have possibly gone through waivers yet because the O's would have picked him up and put him in the starting rotation immediately. I'm sure he could go 3 1/3 and give up less than 5 runs.

Posted by: Brue | August 29, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

My take on Teixiera is he will sign with the whomever offers the most cash. I know, brilliant conclusion. But Boras isnt really the big issue here in my opinion. Tex is tied in to the players association. He was a player rep w/ the Rangers at an early age and realizes his new contract will set a precedent for future deals (the Nats could then resign injury prone 1st basemen to $7 mil/yr!). Much like when Cordero signed w/ CIN, pressure from the union will help determine Tex's new team. I'd love for him to re-up with the Halos or move to the Nats, but I dont think they will surpass the Yanks or maybe the stupid O's offer(s).

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | August 29, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@Sec.506: Schroeder was in his 3rd year on the 40-man, and has way less than 1 year of actual ML service, so waivers were'nt required. basically the same for Sanches (2nd yr on 40-man, less than 1.0 on 25-man). I'm suprised that the Nats started dumping AAA players this early, but they're probably clearing roster spots for unprotected 4 & 5-yr minor leaguers.

Posted by: BIM | August 29, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

there are more "who are those guys" in the braves lineup than in the nats lineup. atlanta, how far the mighty has fallen.

Posted by: natsscribe | August 29, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

FWIW - I had both Schroeder & Sanches tagged as non-tenders by the Nationals in 2009. That doesn't mean they won't be back, just that they wouldn't be worth a ML contract for next year.

Posted by: BIM | August 29, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

The other non-tenders on the roster look like - Cordero (per JBow), Orr (possible arbitration) and O'Conner. Possibles include Colome & Wagner (both arbitration eligible); The Nats will non-tender these two only if they think they wouldn't garner a "B" level contract in free agency.

Posted by: BIM | August 29, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

So the Cubs win again today to go 85-50 on the season. Bob Carpenter says on air that this now puts them 35 games over .500. Someone should straighten that guy out.

Posted by: and he callls himself a broadcaster... | August 29, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Pull him, Manny!

Posted by: Anonymous | August 29, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, the Nats could not get anything for Brian and Chris in the trade market. Other teams realized they could wait out Bowden and get them for free.
Ultimately, being removed from the 40 man now will be good for both pitchers. First, they still get paid thru Sep and 2d they can start looking for their next team. I wish them both good fortune.

Posted by: Tom | August 29, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

come see me

Posted by: new post | August 29, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Dang! I knew we should have kept those roster spots and budget open!
***********