A best-case scenario for Hill

Make no mistake: Shawn Hill isn't yet in the clear. The Nats can't count on Hill to be a part of next year's rotation, or any year thereafter, for that matter. If he makes it back from the arm problems that have plagued much of his career, it's a bonus.

But the surgery Hill had today at least gives him a chance.

Today, Hill has his right elbow scoped by Dr. James Andrews. Some small spurs in Hill's right elbow were removed. And overall, the procedure went on without a problem. There was no ligament reconfiguration necessary, as some in the organization had feared. Before Andrews went in and performed the arthroscopic procedure, some feared that the calcium buildup around Hill's elbow was so severe that it had worked its way into the ligament. Which potentially would have necessitated Tommy John surgery. (Hill's already had Tommy John once.)

So the bottom line?

Hill is expected to be ready for spring training.

He will begin a rehab program next week to work on motion and strength.

Now, today's lineups; The Nats give familiar foe Jair Jurrjens half the lineup for the full price.

Washington

Escobar - 6
Kotchman - 3
Francoeur - 9
Jones - 7
Jurrjens - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 5, 2008; 6:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching up
Next: Who's on first?

Comments

Now let me get this straight...we're trying to catch ATL and Dukes and Milledge have the night off? Manny, remove thy head from thine arse!

Posted by: FRANK 20 | September 5, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

I think this is going a little too far with the expanded roster thing and seeing what the kids can do.
I hope I'm wrong....

Posted by: cat daddy | September 5, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

While my heart would love it if we caught Atlanta (and Florida as long as I'm dreaming), my head tells me the team doesn't much care where it ends up right now.

Posted by: Juan-John | September 5, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

These are the nights that when I see the lineup I just cringe.

Posted by: .390 | September 5, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Sitting 2/3 of the starting outfield...

Is that the subtle scent of team discipline wafting up from the lineup card? Or a simple case of late-season roster bloat?

Posted by: Anonomo | September 5, 2008 7:20 PM | Report abuse

That might be the most awful lineup a major league team has had in a while...

Posted by: natsfan in germany | September 5, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

C'mon, that's a little overly dramatic, don't you think?
____________________________

That might be the most awful lineup a major league team has had in a while...

Posted by: natsfan in germany | September 5, 2008 7:32 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | September 5, 2008 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Worst. Lineup. Ever.
Slap-happy, no power (other than Zim), mostly low OBPs all around and the pitcher is arguably the worst hitting pitcher in the NL. I don't think it's that dramatic.

Posted by: Bring on Strasburg! | September 5, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm up

Posted by: New Post | September 5, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Just want to let all of you know that I have my eye on 1B/OF Joey Votto of the Reds. They just gave this Cuban college kid Yonder Alonso 2 million to sign. He'll be their 3 in a few years. Votto can go OF for them, of course, but he's not signed for 2009 yet. Runner up ROY to Soto? I'm offering Belliard, Costo, Guzman, any two pitchers from a list of eight, and cash for him. We are also offering them Bergman for free, since he's such an irritating dud, and then we'll be able to bat against him. We'll bring Smiley up next year to play the 6.

So whaddya think?

estoy firmado! Segue to Segway! Go away FBI!

Your General Manager and YMOS James Gordon Bowden III

Posted by: Jim B | September 5, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Rotation for 2011: Hill, Balester, Lannan, (Jordan) Zimmerman, Strasburg. Of course, Martis could fit in there somewhere...I'm not holding my breath on Detwiler. I am holding it for Starsburg. Nights like tonight fill me with hope (hope that we can hold on to the 1st pick), which beats oxygen.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 5, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse