Belliard likely done for season

As of tonight, it looks like Ronnie Belliard's right groin strain will end his season.

"Yeah, it's a bad groin pull," Nats Manager Manny Acta said after tonight's loss, 2-0 against Atlanta. "As of up to now, it might look like he's done for the year, but we're going to have an MRI just to confirm what we're wondering."

Belliard said that the injury first occurred while he was running down the baseline in the seventh inning; he hadn't tweaked anything earlier in the game/week/etc.

Asked how he felt, Belliard answered in one word.

"Hurt," he said.

He slumped in a folding chair.

Then some questions of greater intelligence were asked.

"It's tough, you know," Belliard elaborated. "Not only me, I think we're all playing good right now, and we trying to win some games, and I'm trying to help this ballclub. But I've been on the DL before this year early, and a lot of guys on the DL. So I'm trying to get better for the last couple of weeks, and we'll see what happens."

Assuming we don't see Belliard again, this makes Dmitri Young's return all the more interesting. Until Young comes back on Tuesday, Kory Casto and Aaron Boone will split the at bats at first base.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 4, 2008; 11:08 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ronnie Belliard: right groin strain
Next: Catching up

Comments

Nuts.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 4, 2008 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Are we sure it's a groin and not a glut? Glut strains are way more happening...

Posted by: Anon | September 5, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Did you mean glute?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe, gut?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 5, 2008 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Dammit, I suspected there was no way he could get over this before the end of the season.
Thanks Ronnie....

Posted by: cat daddy | September 5, 2008 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I'd say we got the Lerners' money's worth out of Ronnie's contract extension after just one of the two years. I wonder if Rizzo will trade him in the off-season (you know- after Rizzo replaces Bowden).

I wish we got anywhere near the value out of the Meat Hook. Dmitri really needs to pull a Cristian Guzman next year, or we might forget how much he meant to us.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 5, 2008 5:16 AM | Report abuse

The race for 2009 draft choice #1 is tight.
Maybe in the last week we can trade for FLOP and LaDuca and resign Estrade for a stretch fold.
Just teasing.
I like us winning with our kids and hope it continues. Of course, I'd also like to see SD and Seattle each win one more than us with their kids.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | September 5, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

This is horrible news. Belliard is the hottest batter on the team and has played every infield position except catcher in this injury-ridden season. He is hands down my favorite Nat for his spirited play.
Hope he gets strong consideration for MVP and hope to see him back next year. I don't see a better 2nd baseman among the light-hitting kids.

Posted by: ladynatsfan | September 5, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Too bad about Belliard. Concerning 1st base, I have heard several commentators state that Ryan Langerhans is very good at 1st base. Why hasn't Manny given him a chance there? Seems logical and maybe it would help his bat.

Posted by: cadeck | September 5, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse