Catching up

I'm guessing the vast entirety of Washingtonians (or at least those without membership in the Baseball Writers Association) were watching Jason Campbell throw last night, not Shairon Martis. But that's OK; the Reader's Digest version of Martis's start is here.

* He threw five innings, three of them (the first, second and fifth) quite impressive. Lively fastball, shaky command.

* He let up two runs, probably right on par with how he looked. Maybe he shouldn't have allowed that run in the third -- it all happened because Lastings Milledge, shading back on a deep Kelly Johnson fly off the wall, didn't know whether to make a last-ditch attempt at a catch or position himself for the carom... he did neither, and ended up too far from the wall to make a catch and too close to gather the rebound. The ball skipped by him, and Johnson ended at third. Johnon then scored on a sac fly.

* But if that run was unlucky, the way he escaped the fourth was just the opposite. He walked the No. 6, No. 7 and No. 9 hitters in Atlanta's order. Uh oh. Bases loaded, one out. But then, he got Gregor Blanco to hit a grounder into the hole at short. Cristian Guzman, ranging right, tracked it down and got a forceout at second. Martis then finishing the inning with a Johnson popup.

* The final line: five innings, two runs, four hits, five walks, two strikeouts.

Long-term, I don't think much was riding on this start -- Martis, at 21, is too green to be a legit candidate for next year's starting rotation -- but he left a decent impression.

"I think he did well, other than that inning when he issued all those walks to the bottom of the lineup," Manny Acta said. "He showed some poise there, too, to work himself out of it."

---

By the way, once I receive an update on Ronnie Belliard's MRI and/or Shawn Hill's surgery today, I'll pass along the information.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 5, 2008; 8:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Belliard likely done for season
Next: A best-case scenario for Hill

Comments

Looks to me like Martis, and Montz, had a real quality start, but suffer from the same disease that has plagued our pitching for much of the year (although not recently), no run support from the rest of the team.

Posted by: Traveler | September 5, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Jason who? I watched the Nats from start to finish. (Okay, I flipped channels between innings...to vs., cause they were showing "Bloodsport." I love that movie..."OK, USA!" But I digress...)
That fourth inning was brutal, just brutal, but good to see the kid work out of it.

Posted by: Section 138 | September 5, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Surprised no one here has commented on the absolutely stellar job Barry Svrluga did in this morning's paper on his first regular season Redskins gamer.

Posted by: how soon they forget... | September 5, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Barry who?

Posted by: e | September 5, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Also, maybe instead of Casto and Boone at first, perhaps they can let Montz get some innings over there as well. I'd like to see him get more AB's this month ...

Posted by: e | September 5, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Saying Martis had shaky command is like saying there weren't very many black people at the RNC. That guy needs to be put in the bullpen. You can't start with more than half your pitches balls. And it wasn't nerves. The guy's had command problems all along.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 5, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"And how many people were watching McCain? Someone at the RNC should be fired for scheduling the biggest speech of the campaign against the NFL opener."

McCain's speech and indeed the introductory film before it did not begin until after the Redskins-Giants game was over. NBC cut straight from Al Michaels at the game to Brian Williams at the convention. This was all reported in excruciating detail in Barry Svrluga's gamer in this morning's Post.

Posted by: weren't you reading? | September 5, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Can someone post the link to Barry's article? I don't follow the Skins, and couldn't find his online quickly amidst all of the blather from the Jasons, Carpenter, and Steinbog, but I would like to read Barry's. Did the Post have 5 beat writers covering last night's football game? Seriously?

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | September 5, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"He let up two runs"

What odd phrasing, I've never heard that before. It seems to mean the same as "He allowed two runs", but is Chico breaking new ground, or am I just missing out on the latest grammatical fad?

Posted by: tomterp | September 5, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'm trying to find it myself, CIL. There are eight articles to click on. I'll find Barry at some point.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"I don't follow the Skins, and couldn't find his online quickly amidst all of the blather from the Jasons, Carpenter, and Steinbog, but I would like to read Barry's."

Posted by: Section 138 | September 5, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

how could Sutton call him martiss all night rather than marteez?

Posted by: say what? | September 5, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

"He let up two runs"

almost sounds like a canadian phrase... like "i'm in grade 10" instead of "i'm in 10th grade."

Posted by: 231 | September 5, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"how could Sutton call him martiss all night rather than marteez?"

Perhaps you should ask Brian Snyder that question.

Posted by: this pastime of nationals | September 5, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it's an Australian turn of phrase. ;-)

Sorry to see Belliard go down. He's been a consistent hitter, especially in pressure situations, and a class act, playing any position he's asked to play, and always playing hard. One of the few true professionals on the Nats.

Posted by: Section 222 | September 5, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

SoCH,
Baseball-reference doesn't have gamelogs for minor league ball. Can you share his Strike to Ball ratios? I'm interested.
I know he walked 52 in 151 IP in 2007, but that certainly doesn't indicate any command problems.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The guy's had command problems all along.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 5, 2008 10:25 AM

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: Section 138 | September 5, 2008 10:41 AM

Posted by: Section 138 | September 5, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

We don't mind.

Posted by: Democrats | September 5, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Seriously. I took a stroll over to Redskins page to find Barry.

I'm FLOORED by the number of articles and the number or writers. That just sick. I couldn't even find the guy.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 5, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

"Well, none of the links were his. I'm now heading to the front of the sports page, instead of the front of the Redskins page."

Sounds like the Post is having the same problem providing access to Barry's Redskins gamers online that it did with his Nationals gamers. I'm glad I read the print edition myself.

Posted by: this pastime of nationals | September 5, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"how could Sutton call him martiss all night rather than marteez?"

Because that's how his name is pronounced?

Posted by: joebleux | September 5, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Skins' coverage very confusing. I thought Les Carpenter did the "gamer" on page A-1. Who is this Carpenter fellow, by the way? Must be the dean of American sportswriters to land that plum assignment. The Walter Lippmann or Joe Alsop of NFL writers?

Posted by: CapPeterson | September 5, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

was back and forth between Skins and Nats. Milledge catches as well as the Redskin receiving corps.

Posted by: 6th and D | September 5, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

You can imagine my house. Nats! Skins! Convention! Ah!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 5, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Chico, your job must be a lonely one in that nest of people in the tank for the Redskins. There are, however, a few committed baseball fans who enjoyed watching Martis before turning to see the Skins blow another. We've seen that movie for years now.

I long ago began to suspect that Dan Snyder bought the Post and all our local TV stations from Jack Kent Cooke, but I was amazed this morning to learn that the he has mastered time itself.

That's carrying football fever too far.

Posted by: Jim Webster | September 5, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

nationals... reskins... convention... OH MY!

Posted by: 231 | September 5, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

errr... reDskins... *sigh*

Posted by: 231 | September 5, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"The edition of the Post that I get over here on the Maryland Eastern Shore has the full Monty on the Redskins (game ended shortly after 10 p.m.) but not even a bare score of the Nats game ("late," it said). Yet the Nats game ended about 9:45 p.m."

So you did get Svrluga's gamer there, then? Shame it never made it onto the Web.

Posted by: it was a good one! | September 5, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Seriously. I took a stroll over to Redskins page to find Barry.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 5, 2008 11:00 AM

Posted by: Section 138 | September 5, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

231, don't forget that 'D'. George Preston Marshall changed it from the "Braves" for a reason!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 5, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Actually it was brilliant timing, couldn't have had a bigger lead-in.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"Yup. I gave up. I even did a Google search for the wapo site and came up empty. If anyone does end up finding Barry's gamer, post a link."

Maybe you should just spring for the 50 cents and buy what used to be called the 35 cent edition.

Posted by: this pastime of nationals | September 5, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Barry who? 'es dead to me.

Posted by: SF Fan | September 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

No new postings in almost an hour... is this crickets I hear, or is the Post website overloaded with Redskins clicks?

Posted by: Wigi | September 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing... I live 2.3 miles from work, and the commute takes me by zero gas stations/convenience stores/newspaper machines. The cafeteria here at work just sells the USA Today.
I guess I'm out of luck ::shrug::
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: this pastime of nationals | September 5, 2008 12:03 PM

Posted by: Section 138 | September 5, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I went looking for the gamer by Barry too - no WaPo in San Jose you know. Too bad it couldn't be found! I don't want to read that much about the Redskins and I've loved them since I came out of the womb!

Posted by: Patty | September 5, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I was watching the Nationals game last night, Chico. I don't pay any attention to the minor sports until after the World Series.

Actually, I then turn my attention to the NHL and don't pay any attention to football at all. I haven't even bothered to check the Redskins score because I don't care.

Didn't somebody once do a study of game video that determined a typical three-hour NFL game actually has less than 20 minutes of action?

And they say BASEBALL is slow?!?

I say it's not the game's fault if the people who find it slow don't know enough to watch or appreciate all the things happening with each pitch.

Posted by: Sec 222 Upper Half | September 5, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

We went to Cooperstown over the Labor Day weekend and I have a couple of multiple-Zimm-in-the-Hall observations.

That is, our multiple Zimm's each have items at the Hall of Fame, not multiple items from the Nationals' third baseman.

First off; Ryan Z. is already in the hall of fame's museum. At least, his hat is. Zimmerman's Opening Day cap is on display along with a mention of his home run to win the first game at Nationals Park.

Second; there's a display of amateur league championships which includes a glove from (at the time) Junior College player Jordan Zimmermann. Unfortunately, the folks at the Hall of Fame misspelled his name as "Zimmerman". Which, if he isn't already, Jordan will probably have to get used to.

And, one final bit of personal preening; Ann's ticket from the first game at RFK back in 2005 is still on display at the Hall of Fame. Can a baseball fan ask for more than to be immortalized at Cooperstown?

Posted by: Sec 222 Upper Half | September 5, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I find the people who are most "bored" by baseball are the ones who also know the least about how it's played. Teaching them to keep score can usually solve the problem.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 5, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

DSL Nationals won their second straight championship today.

Posted by: Brian | September 5, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe that's the problem--Lerner still has them on dial-up.

********
DSL Nationals won their second straight championship today.
Posted by: Brian | September 5, 2008 2:07 PM

Posted by: I don't wanna say they're cheap, but ... | September 5, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

So Dmitri will be back soon. I hear he's finally in baseball shape. As in, perfectly round, except for a couple of seams.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 5, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm a baseball fan and a Pats fan, not really a football fan. Mostly watched the Nats and flipped to a few other things (HBO had Almost Famous and I forgot about the 1st 15 minutes of the story). Apparently the NYG win was a good lead in for what came next. J. Sidney's ratings beat Barry's according to the preliminary Nielsens largely due to NBC's audience stick around at the start. Obviously, NBC is in kahoots with our friends in Crystal City.

Posted by: PTBNL | September 5, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

PTBNL: As Bob Carpenter would say, that's a little TOO inside.

Posted by: this pastime of nationals | September 5, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Bob l: Touche'!

Posted by: Wigi | September 5, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

In tribute to Belliard's season, I pulled from ESPN's stats page a list of 2d basemen who have had at least 300 plate appearances this year. 34 made that cut. Here's how Belli ranked:

OPS - 6th (.845)
HR - 12th (11)
RBI - 15th (46) [note - of those ahead of him, Alexei Ramirez had about 70 more plate appearances and all the rest 150+ more]
OBP - 7th (.372)
SLG - 7th (.473)

Whatever criticism we throw at the Nats front office, Belli was a high quality signing. Would love to see him and Willie platoon at 2d next year if Boni can't keep his OBP over .340.

Posted by: PTBNL | September 5, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks PTBNL. I've always loved that guy, but it's great to see the numbers.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 5, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Ladies and gentlemen, your post of the day.

-----

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 5, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Seems to be a bizarre, anything but the game, kind of posting day on this blog. I too switched from between the Nats and the Skins for the course of the game. The Nats, even getting shut out were about 4 times more entertaining. (That is a strange admission coming from me who has been a Redskin fan for all my life.) The idea of watching two rookies making their debut together as a battery was far more nuanced and appealing a storyline than anything that could be found at Giants Stadium. The tense stillness found in the confines of Atlanta's stadium was my siren call last night. It is still too early and too hot for football to be played in its fits and spasms, not with baseball in full rhythm. I guess with that kind of knowing I passed on my copy of "The Glory of Their Times" to an 83 year old man who played sandlot baseball in Pittsburg in the 1930's, and now catches all the Orioles and Nats games on television with his wife (a Mets fan).

Posted by: Dale | September 5, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I had a different experience than many of you. I switched between the Nats game and the GIANTS game, and at least the football game turned out as I wished.

Actually, I was really pumped to see Martis pitch (and I admit, since he is from Curacao, I don't know how he pronounces his name). He lost by giving up 2 runs. As first games go, please admit that is not so bad.

As for the Skins, let them suffer and rot under Snyder/Amgelos. My biggest loyalty as a kid was to the Mets, but since baseball is so much more important than football, I needed to teach my kids with the local team that I never had a chance to root against, from the beginning, from the ground floor.

Congrats DSL Nats1. Congratulations Brian Oliver on another amazing year of blogging on the Nats' minor leagues. Let's go Potomac, but not tonight in the hurricane.

Thank you Chico for endurance in the face of adversity. Wait until the off-season, when you have only the hardeest-core fans.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 5, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse