Dmitri Young is back

The folks at Shea have been ultra-slow to post the lineups for tonight -- I'll post them as soon as I get them -- but in the meantime I'll post about one person who's back with the Nats but not in the lineup. Dmitri Young. He hasn't played for the Nationals since July 11, and has spent all of the second half on the disabled list battling diabetes. But now, Young is back; he joined the team yesterday at their hotel in New York. And today, Young is in the clubhouse.

He actually has a left quad injury that's slowing his progress, and the team is noncommittal about how much Young can play for the rest of the season. Right now, Young's main goal, evidently, is to just work on his fitness and recover from the quad injury.

When a few media members spoke with Young today, he was stoic and soft-spoken. And you're probably wondering: How does he look? Well, about the same as when we last saw him. Were it not for the end of the minor league season, Young probably wouldn't be in the majors yet; he'd continue rehabbing elsewhere. But Young has nowhere to go.

Said Manny Acta: "There is no set-in-stone of how many times per week he's going to play or anything like that. He's a little sore right now in his legs from the rehab, but we're just going to ease him into it. We just want to see him around the guys, and we're glad he's healthy. As I've said before, he doesn't have to prove anything here. He's a proven player, and two weeks is not going to make or break it for him.

As for Young's fitness? "Well," Acta said, "obviously he's spent so much time trying to control his disease that the fitness part of it wasn't the No. 1 priority there. Now he's going to start on that, basically, and as I mentioned before, I think the offseason is going to be a very important time for him."

As for Dmitri, here is what he said...

DMITRI

Q: How are you feeling?

I'm feeling a lot better -- except for my quad. I injured that the last couple days up in Vermont. Everything else is good.

Q: How difficult has it been to control the diabetes?

It's definitely been tough. I thank the Nationals for giving me the time to be able to go take care of that.

Q: What have you learned in the last few months about things you need to get better at or pay more attention to?

Well, you definitely have to be serious about it, do exactly what the doctors say, or else things can happen. You know, because you didn't control it, it starts controlling you.

Q: Were there times when you felt scared for your own health?

It was difficult. Now I'm ready to talk about today.

Q: What's the plan the rest of the way?

Well, the plan is just to get at bats and contribute whenever possible. The guys have done a great job since I've been gone, and there's no need for me to come and disrupt that.

Q: What are you hoping to get out of the last few weeks?

Play spoiler.

Q: And personally for yourself?

Just working on staying healthy.

Q: Physically, are you getting treatment?

Well, I hurt my (left) quad trying to leg out a hit. For some strange reason, I was actually running. And I tweaked it down there. So I'm getting treatment on that.

Q: How's your family, and how are they dealing with this?

The family is fine, and you know, it's just a situation that I'm going to have to deal with every day.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 9, 2008; 6:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Pepper
Next: Lineups from Shea

Comments

A. Hernandez, 2B
C. Guzman, SS

F. Tatis, LF
D. Easley, 2B
B. Schneider, C
O. Perez, P

Posted by: The Lineups | September 9, 2008 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

How can you not ask Young about his drinking, his failure to keep in shape all winter and again during the year? How can you not bring up how the Nats gave him millions of dollars and he gave them nothing back.

How can you not ask him about letting his team down? Look at the record....Young's actions let to the near death of this team and the effects of Lo Duca at first and no leadership in the clubhouse are just starting to hit the organization in the form of cancelled season ticket orders.

Given all this, you ask what is his goal for the next 2 weeks......clearly more of the same.....seat on his ass and get paid millions. Nats should have cut him now. Just more wasted time waiting for Young to help this team. He can not even help himself, what kind of example can he set for the youth of the team.

Posted by: JayB | September 9, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

In the previous thread, Catcher50 pondered the purpose of the pepper prohibition.

The ban comes from the groundskeepers, who cringe at the possibility of their charge being destroyed by the clamoring of clashing cleets as players jockey for position to reign in those now-legendary lasered low liners.

That's why St. Claire requires sneakers.

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 9, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

JayB - you forgot to ask Chico to ask Nick why he can't toughen up and Tim Redding why he can't throw a 96 MPH heater.

Posted by: NTPNate | September 9, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

JayB,

if you want informative insight, check the other paper's sports section which will justifiably criticize trhe team and the front office when merited. BTW - new post.

Posted by: natsscribe | September 9, 2008 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Harlan, were you and Debbi Taylor separated at birth? Softball city.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 9, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's what this team needs, more finger-pointing.

Posted by: ce | September 9, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

When the beat writer is told, "I'm going to talk about today," that's what he talks about. He has to work with these guys from Feb. 22- Sept. 21. He is not there to incite mayhem, which JayB would certainly do, as he would receive the full tonnage of the Meat Hook, which would leave him twitching like Jason Campbell's ass jest before a snap.

Posted by: flynnie | September 9, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

John Lannan is keeping wearing that apple out. At least Ryan got a homer. What's sweet is that it out to be 6-3, but for that perfect play at the plate against David Wright, who must feel sicker than Kim Jong Il.

Posted by: flynnie | September 9, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse