Dukes: "I basically let my emotions just get the best of me"

Elijah Dukes today issued an apology for his actions in Wednesday's game against the Mets. I'll let you read it in the full context. He spoke for about 40 seconds -- no script or anything; he just talked. Today, while in the clubhouse, he called over two or three media members and asked for the chance to talk. But he didn't want to take any questions. So, here's what he said... speaks for itself...

---

"I just wanted to apologize to my teammates and the Nationals organization and the fans for my actions in the game Wednesday. It was wrong. I basically let my emotions just get the best of me. You know, it was just tough for me to take in what I had to endure, basically, and I just shouldn't have did it and it was wrong. I wanted to apologize about it, because you know, I talked to Jim Bowden and Manny Acta and I let them know that I apologize for it, and I'll try not to let it happen again. And for my teammates especially, I just want to apologize again to them for my actions."

---

Uggla - 4
Willingham - 7
Ross - 8
Hermida - 9
Olsen - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 12, 2008; 5:55 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: P-Nats one win away
Next: Idle chatter from a silent stadium

Comments

That's a lot of apologizing. What did he apologize for?

Posted by: SF Fan | September 12, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

good for him. hopefully that was heartfelt.

Posted by: 231 | September 12, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Cool, he is trying and best of all, didn't apologize to Mets.

Posted by: It's something | September 12, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

And hopefully, the two places I would insert the term [sic] are transcription errors.

Posted by: 419E | September 12, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Dukes is the most dynamic player on the roster. Would like to see some of these other guys show some (controlled) fire at the plate and in the field.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 12, 2008 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Best part: no script, no press conference, no media-managing BS.

Posted by: hb | September 12, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Alrighty then, the good lineup. Time to balance out the season series.

Posted by: cat daddy | September 12, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Now y'all better stop ya hatin', or else you dead, dawg. That means you, Chico, and ya kids too. I ain't even bullshiznitting. And Boz is so dead. I'm gonna bust a cap in is a**. It's on, dawg. You dead, dawg. I ain't even bulls-------. Your kids too, dawg. It don't even matter to me who is in the car with you. All I know is, Chico, when I see your m-----f------- a-- riding, dawg, it's on. As a matter of fact, I'm coming to your m-----f------ house. I ain't even messin' wit cha. Seriously. One more word, and you both dead. Barry too. I don't even know who he is, but some people around here who were talking shiznit about me think he's the bomb, so he dead too.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 12, 2008 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Good. Maybe now all the Dukes-hating goody-two-shoes pansies who post on this blog can get over their own bloviating and hyperventilating. Even the Great Albert Pujols gets into it with opposing players occasionally. It's part of the game, and it's just a game. Blowing kisses at Mets fans - it's not like he flipped them off.
Even though they probably would have deserved it. If you put lipstick on a Mets fan, they're still a Mets fan.

Posted by: sid bluntley | September 12, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

no, it wasn't really SOCH.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse