Lineups from Citizens Bank

Open-ended question:

If you were told on Opening Night that the final-day Washington lineup would look like this, what would think happened? Could you even imagine a narrative?

Washington

Coste -- 3
Cervenak -- 5
Golson -- 8
Marson -- 2
Kendrick -- 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 28, 2008; 12:46 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Philadelphia Clinches; Washington Watches
Next: Breaking News: All of Acta's Assistants Gone, Except St. Claire

Comments

Wow. That lineup pretty much sums up the season right there.

When do pitchers and catchers report...? :-}

Posted by: Juan-John | September 28, 2008 12:57 PM | Report abuse

so i guess they really are trying for the #1 pick today.

Posted by: sid bluntley | September 28, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Most of the regulars had tee times.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | September 28, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. Sure glad I didn't pay money to see this in person.

I hope Strasburg is as good as they say he is.

Posted by: we lost rauch for nothing | September 28, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

by the way, i don't know how kosher it is to plug other blogs here, but the entry for the nats320 blog about last night's game is a must-read about how classy Philadelphia sports fans are!

Posted by: sid bluntley | September 28, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"You get the attendance you deserve."

Former Nationals President Stan Kasten

Posted by: DR | September 28, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Disappointing. I just canceled my plans to watch the 2008 Nats one more time.

Best wishes to all for a good off-season and I'll see you all in the Spring.

Posted by: ladynatsfan | September 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the bat boy can pinch-hit in the 7th. That's a true AAA all-star lineup right there.

Posted by: Bob | September 28, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

"....back to you, Jerome."

"Thanks, Clint. Yadda yadda yadda Spring Training 2009 starts....RIGHT NOW!"

Better start steppin' up today, Emilio "K" Bonifacio.

Posted by: you too, Casto | September 28, 2008 1:25 PM | Report abuse

to be fair, did anyone look at philly's lineup? ask the same question about them. we know the answer's completely different.

Posted by: 231 | September 28, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Lineup be darned, I'm listening (no cable TV) today for my final Nats fix of the season.

"Sid," I also noted the nats320 item in the previous entry - as incentive to root against the Phillies.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 28, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"by the way, i don't know how kosher it is to plug other blogs here"

That's okay. Just don't start plugging the Nationals' minor league affiliates here.

Posted by: otherwise Boswell might find out about them, and we don't want that! | September 28, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Japan vs. Dominican Republic in the Little League World Series except that some of the Little Leaguers can hit.

Average of the batting averages of Nats 8 position players is 243.

Posted by: frustrated in 310 | September 28, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

After seeing the lineup, I threw up... a lot. But that is because I've been dealing with a serious viral stomach infection-- completely unrelated to the Nationals. I did however gouge my eyes out with old forks when I returned from the bathroom. That was because of the lineup.

Posted by: Don't feel well | September 28, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I really hope the regulars get a PH appearence. I didn't think Friday would be the last I'd see of them. (Yesterday's game on FOX was blacked out)

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | September 28, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Is this a AAA consolation game?

Posted by: anonymous | September 28, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Don't Feel Well. That was funny, but please feel better.

Although this could very well be the last time we see Odalis Perez, I am rooting against our guys today. If you are going to be this bad, there is no use missing out on the top pick. The Plan is now Tampa Bay style, and we might as well get the best player available.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 28, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

The game is meaningless, so I like seeing some of the young kids get some more at-bats. Philly has already clinched, so what the heck.

Well, except that this game is meaningful... we need to LOSE! We have the winning sweepstakes ticket in our hands - no need to rely on another Mariners victory today.

It is always painful to lose to the Phillies, but no pain, no gain. If we want the Lerners to pony up more cash in the future (very painful to them, I understand), let's take our lumps in this game to get the #1 pick.

Posted by: kevinx | September 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

First nail in the season's coffin:

1-0 Phillies.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 28, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow, are all the starters suffering from the flu now? Actually, I guess it's a good chance to let the younger guys who may not be on the roster next year get one last chance to play.

Posted by: misschatter | September 28, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Tanking it, as did Zimm last night with his double play ball. Does not matter, because Phyllis already clinched - therefore their lineup.
Let's hope Strasburg is the real deal - and MORE IMPORTANTLY - that Learner is putting up the money to get him! AND a couple of FAs.
No wonder nobody watches Nats games.
Lights out and good night till spring training - may be.

Posted by: johnbear1 | September 28, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Well, I won't have the pleasure of listening to Charlie & Dave one last time this season; would have loved to hear what they had to say about today's lineups. Thank you, Bonneville Communications (I knew I left Utah for a reason).

Posted by: BIM | September 28, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Bob Carpenter just said that Screech will be back, because he had a good year. Oh, brother. I haven't looked recently, but if Screech still hasn't been washed, he should be entirely grey by now- no amount of hip-swiveling gets rid of that grime.

Truth is, none of our players, TV announcers, front-office types, etc. had a good year. It is shame all around. The pain of it will linger for a little while, but the playoffs will get me back to looking ahead, and hoping for any tidbit that gives an idea of future direction.

I still would like to start with Lenny Harris and Jim Bowden receiving their walking papers.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 28, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Zim did NOT tank last night. That double-play ball was well hit, inches from being a RBI single.

Guzman had a decent year, Lannan had a good year despite the lack of run support, and I thought Milledge and Dukes showed some signs of greatness. Or, at least, really goodness.

Posted by: kevinx | September 28, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Bring on that #1 pick!

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 28, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

+HalfSt.: I wouldn't say none - Guzman managed a pretty good season, Dukes showed he can be a force (when healthy), and Lannan proved he can be a solid #2 starter in the NL. Some others on the kiddie corps may have a future as well; Spring Training will help sort the wheat from the chaff there.
Regarding management, well that's another story. More on that later.

Posted by: BIM | September 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Would Lannan be the #2 starter for the Brewers or Cubs or Red Sox? If we're really talking about a team that will win playoff games within the next five years, then I think Lannan would have to be the #4 starter. He's a really nice pitcher at this point, but I don't think he's much better than that, just a nice pitcher who helps hold down the back of the rotation.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

we are in the lead. i would like us to not be in the lead. so that we can guarantee the #1 pick.

if we win and seattle loses, they get #1.

Posted by: natsinthevalley | September 28, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

It's hilarious to hear Bob Carpenter trying to talk up our feeble hitting minor leaguers that are playing today.

Posted by: glutton for punishment | September 28, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Why would anyone have been surprised to hear this line-up? The Nats put their scrubs in to play meaningless games to finish out every season.

If we can come back and win it would be the first time the Nats have ended the season with a W.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

This game means nothing to us or the Phillys, if this game was a home we would start all the regulars and pull them one by one so the fans can cheer them one more time. Since its in philly why risk an injury to a star player?

Since it doesn't matter at all it ok to rout for us to lose in hopes of getting Strasburg, to do so in a game that matters would ruin the integrity of the game, and the wrath of the baseball gods would follow.

I want this team to be better, winning is a byproduct of that so losing now to be better later is ok by me.

Posted by: estuartj | September 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If "scrubs"=September callups from the minors, I thought most teams playing games that didn't matter did that?

I rather enjoy seeing kids get their first major league hits, their first home runs, and so forth.

I going to miss baseball, even Nats baseball, over the winter. I don't think I'll miss the constant b*tching, though.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 28, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame you about not missing the complaining, but you have to admit that this was a season during which complaining was warranted. If anything, though, the complaints about the coverage were less warranted, as the team did not earn the coverage.

We have 3 innings of futility left to "earn" the #1 pick. Let's have the team do something right for a change and lose this one for the future. It's funny, really, because the front office really seemed like they were going for the 1st pick in 2007, and failed miserably. This year they wanted a better team, and failed miserably again.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 28, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@Anon: My statement was that Lannan would be a solid #2 in the NL - therefore, the RedSox aren't part of the equation. But you're kind of right, Lannan would be a #4 at Wrigley (behind Zambrano, Dempster & Harden) & #3 in Milwaukee (behind Sabathia & Sheets). He might even be #3 in LA or AZ. The point was that he has poven over the season that he can compete with the top-half of starting pitchers in this League.

Posted by: BIM | September 28, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

@Anon: My statement was that Lannan would be a solid #2 in the NL - therefore, the RedSox aren't part of the equation. But you're kind of right, Lannan would be a #4 at Wrigley (behind Zambrano, Dempster & Harden) & #3 in Milwaukee (behind Sabathia & Sheets). He might even be #3 in LA or AZ. The point was that he has proven over the season that he can compete with the top-half of starting pitchers in this League.

Posted by: BIM | September 28, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

The problem with these scrubs is that some of them are supposed to start next year.

If I wanted to watch kids I would go to some college or little league games. I don't think 23+ men appreciate being called kids.

Posted by: we lost rauch for nothing | September 28, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyone noticed that the Nats have fired all their coaches other than Randy St Claire?

K

Posted by: Kirkie | September 28, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Kirkie-

Wow! Action already! I am sorry about Pat Corrales, but otherwise it was all warranted.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I'm officially in the tank. The Nats are 5 outs away from winning the Stasburg Sweepstakes and I'm happy. This season has been so disappointing, we deserve something to look forward to. At least until Bowden stays as GM so we know our chances of actually signing SS are below average at best.

Posted by: Section 222 | September 28, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Ladson and Mark Z are reporting that all coaches except Randy are gone....Man, they can't even do this simple act with class.....even I would wait till the game is over.

Posted by: JayB | September 28, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Did Dan Snyder acquire the Nats suddenly? I understand Lenny. I understand Tolman. But can we really expect to have a functional staff with so many new coaches?

Posted by: Not feeling well | September 28, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Fire Lenny Harris!!!!!

Posted by: Success! | September 28, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I will not be too sorry to see this season end. We are one strike away.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 28, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

and one more new post

Posted by: penultimately | September 28, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"If you were told on Opening Night that the final-day Washington lineup would look like this, what would think happened?"

A meaningless end-of-season game, that's all.

When I lived in Philadelphia in 1991, I recall the Phillies clinched fourth place in the NL East by beating the Mets on Saturday, Oct. 5, so for the season finale on the 6th, the Phils started a lineup full of scrubeenies from Reading and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. So what happens? David Cone strikes out 19 of them. (That's the second-greatest pitching effort I've ever seen from Cone; I was at Yankee Stadium in 1999 when he fired a perfect game against the Nats' predecessors, the Montreal Expos.)

On to 2009 -- sign Strasburg and hope he's as good as advertised!

Posted by: Vincent | September 28, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse