Lineups from Dolphin Stadium

Uggla - 4
Willingham - 7
Hermida - 9
Amezaga - 8
Johnson - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 13, 2008; 5:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Careers going up, going down
Next: Can anybody find a 1999 Cobras throwback jersey?

Comments

I do blame the player for not learning the game after several years of professional baseball in all cases. I also blame the manager who put them in the line-up and then makes excuses for their failure to learn after at least 3 years in professional baseball. Acta only part of the problem, yes, but he could be a big part of the solution by making it very clear to those who follow in the coming years.....learn the game, be a professional and study the game now and when you get to the MLB level I will play you, if you come up the MLB level without working on your fundamentals.....you will have a problem with me and getting playing time. Simple solution....Acta should be setting the tone and participating in the solution. The quote in question about learning simple baseball 101 at the MLB level makes him part of the problem, and yes it is a big problem effecting many organizations, but if we are after excellence and I for one am, we need to lead a solution not accept the problem.

Posted by: JayB | September 13, 2008 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Arbitration eligible in 2009: Cordero, Colome, Redding, Langerhans, Zimmerman. Whom should we tender?
Posted by: Jim B | September 13, 2008 4:37 PM
***************************
Harris is arbitration eligible too, isn't he?
Posted by: tender all but Colome | September 13, 2008 4:51 PM
I thought Willie H. would be a FA not arbitration-eligible. After he was DFA’d in December by Atlanta, he was signed as a FA right away by the Nats? Then signed a one-year for 800K in 2008? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Also, do you remember in the heat of July when I outed my intention to non-tender Cordero? He was and is pissed, but he’s a goner. Perhaps I should have waited a bit to announce, but 6.2M gave us nada but a labrum tear? We’ll give him small bucks with incentives, if he wants, but expect no tender from me, except that one.

Posted by: Jim B | September 13, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I think Hill is arbitration eligible too. He should be cheap considering his injury history.

Posted by: Kyle H. | September 13, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Who says Acta is "accepting the problem", JayB? If he sat a player down every time he makes a mental misjudgment as you advocate, pretty soon he'd have a hard time finding nine men off the 25-man roster left to take the field. Don't think that players don't know when they screw up. Don't think they aren't hearing about it from the manager and coaches. They are. But being sat down is not the only way to deliver that message. It might work for your little league team, where you just go down the street and bring in the next kid. It might work for organizations like the Red Sox, Braves, etc, that have been doing it in a common organizational way for years upon years. The Nationals are neither of those. They are a new team, still, even in their fourth year. Don't expect them to operate like your little league team or like the Red Sox.

Posted by: you may not like it, but that's the way it is | September 13, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@ JayB -- if Manny doesn't want to play the players who are in the dugout, (or the "day-to-day" population explodes), does he get to pick up the phone and call Columbus, Harrisburg, Potomac, etc.?

Posted by: "day-to-day" | September 13, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm here

Posted by: New post | September 13, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kyle H. | September 13, 2008 6:46 PM
*********************************

Hill has just over a year of ML service? Can he then be arbitration-eligible? Could smeone check it out for me? Check Harris too.

Perhaps I'll ask Stan or that other guy. I need some contract remedial study. I know that. Don't hate. Anybody hear from the FBI lately?

Posted by: Jim B | September 13, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse