Lineups, minus Peavy

Jake Peavy was supposed to pitch tonight's game for the Pads, which would have delivered them a decided edge for the game and a decided setback for the Strasburg Sweepstakes. Turns out, Peavy has been scratched as San Diego's starting pitcher.

According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Peavy woke up this morning in DC excited to pitch in the new ballpark. But then he learned that his wife needed to give birth to their third child, so he rushed home, and was expected back on the West Coast this afternoon. Dark jokes about the tanking/induced labor conspiracy are welcome from the gallery.

Anyway...

San Diego replaces him with a pitcher named Dirk Hayhurst (0-2, 8.49).

San Diego

Dukes - 9
Casto - 3
Montz - 2
Bernadina - 7
Balester - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 19, 2008; 6:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The State of the Nationals (from the Zone)
Next: When Yesterday's Game Ends Today

Comments

Go Nats! Hammer Hayhurst! (nothing personal -- I like his blog and all :-))

Also, may the best team win, er, the worst team, er -- my brain hurts!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 19, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

That's a pretty good excuse, although the third one should be a cake walk so to speak at this point. (For me, my second one was A LOT easier than my first - I feel like if I had a third he/she would walk out on his/her own.)

Go Nats!

Posted by: Patty | September 19, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

For those who don't know Dirk:

Posted by: NeedANatsFix | September 19, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow, San Diego's lineup is awful. I'm thinking we take 2 of 3 in the series.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 19, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

ok that blog is hilarious we are facing a pitcher tonite who describes himself as a minor league nobody and whos most recent posts are about escaping to japanese baseball

Posted by: love | September 19, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

I was so PO'ed when I found out Peavy wasn't pitching tonight, I gave a friend the ticket I bought for the game. Looks like the Padres are tanking it to ensure they win the No. 1 pick. Most of the guys in the San Diego lineup aren't household names in their own homes.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 19, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

san diego's lineup is the worst ive ever seen.

Posted by: will | September 19, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

the friars are in such deep tank mode, i wouldn't be surprised if they roll over and get swept by the nats this weekend. talk about the integrity of the game. their lineup looks like a spring training travel squad. what a joke.

Posted by: natsscribe | September 19, 2008 7:16 PM | Report abuse

See also:

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 19, 2008 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Listening to Bob Carpenter and his silly voice inflections makes me gag.

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | September 19, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

That's BS.

Stand up and lose like a man

Posted by: Nats09 | September 19, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

err...

I mean win like a man

Posted by: Nats09 | September 19, 2008 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Well, nice to see that Balester didn't melt down after that 3 run inning. (Certainly lasted logner than Hayhurst...)

Posted by: SF Fan | September 19, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Wow... ellipses for pregnant pause... very few comments in the final series of the Strasburg sweepstakes?

I know I risk forever tattooing myself but I'm firmly in the "I want the freaking #1 pick camp." My reasoning is juvenile and absurd but simple. It's no different than what anyone here has said before so I'll spare you the details. Suffice to say my left brain is rooting for the while my right brain is calling me a goddam traitor. I think they’re reenacting the battle of Gettysburg in my head tonight with the way this game is going.

What's a Nats fan to do? Drink more. It'll all be sorted out by Monday.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

That was me... more ellipses

Posted by: MKevin | September 19, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo!!! I mean... Doh! I mean... my head hurts.

Posted by: MKevin | September 19, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm at the game and the atmosphere at this point (bottom of the 12th) is most definitely festive and, um, punchy. Do they start selling beer again in the 14th?

Posted by: section 222 | September 19, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

love extra innings, late night baseball, things happen

Posted by: love | September 19, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Woah! Manning got lucky... I thought it was over.

Posted by: SF Fan | September 19, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

It's now the bottom of the 8th . . . In Oakland.

Posted by: section 222 | September 19, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Were the other bullpen guys unavailable tonight? I couldn't watch, but it seems like Manny probably should have pulled Speigner when he got into trouble there since he had a couple of arms left.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 20, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Please, please, please, Chico - let us know three numbers in the gamer: paid attendance, actual attendance, and number of folks left when AG pinch hit.

And for those who occasionally hassle our intrepid beat reporter, imagine working overtime - until 2 in the morning - for something you know has already missed deadline, and will be read by the same 25 people that harass you in the comments.

God love ye, Chico. Mrs. Harlan's son doesn't deserve this.

Posted by: nat in beantown | September 20, 2008 12:47 AM | Report abuse

It really doesn't matter who wins these games if Seattle keeps losing. They are unbelievably bad.

Posted by: a.lewis | September 20, 2008 2:51 AM | Report abuse

How could the Nats TRY to lose? It's something that comes so naturally. Seriously, this was the perfect night for Balester, with what would seem to be a normal performance, to win, but he couldn't.

Posted by: New Jersey | September 20, 2008 2:55 AM | Report abuse