MASN in HD

I don't mean to interrupt the discussion about the composition of next year's team, but here's an item that will influence how clearly you see everything.

MASN revealed today that it will launch a full-time HD channel in March 2009, an effort to double the high-def telecasts for Orioles and Nationals games. MASN, which broadcasts games for both teams, said in a release that it hopes to broadcast some 200 baseball games next year in HD. This year, the Nats had just 40 games on HD -- a frequent grumbling of fans in this blogospheric domain.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 16, 2008; 3:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Young, Flores likely done for '08
Next: Tonight's lineups from Nats Park

Comments

As a Nat's fan, I am truly excited about this. MASN has achieved 2004 levels of technological expertise. In a short time it will be as if there was a real local sports channel when baseball first returned to DC. By my calculations, we can expect to see HD broadcasts of the 2005 Nats about 2013.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 16, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

so, 100 Nats games and 100 O's games in HD. And 6 of those will be when the Nats play the O's. Not bad. Not perfect, but at least it's better than the ridiculously low number of HD games this season.

Posted by: e | September 16, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Carrying over;

SF Fan said "I still like both Kearns and Guzman. I don't see how you can call Guzman underperforming, and Kearns is performing exactly as he has been asked to and advertised."

I think we were expecting much more from Kearns with the bat, his defense is great, but we could sure use a lot more pop from a corner infielder.

As for Guzman, I said hurt or underperforming, he has been injured and 2005 was terrible. Also, a much as I love his .300+ ba his obp and slg are not so great so I'd like to see either a lot more pop with the bat or a lot better range/defense in '09 than we're seeing from SS this year.

Posted by: estuartj | September 16, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

And MASN just got Welcome Back Kotter, too!

Posted by: NatsNut | September 16, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

If you have a dvr or tivo you can sometimes synch up the radio and tv broadcasts -- but only if the tv is ahead and you wind it back so that it matches the radio.If the tv is behind you are sol.Does anyone else think that this whole tv on 3 channels, radio crapshoot thing is a bunch of bs??Isn't there anything the lerner/kasten bunch can do about it? Satellite radio has the home broadcast so it's only good for home games.

Posted by: vanatsmaniac | September 16, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Oh wise NJers, I need some help. I have tix for tonight's game and I usually park at RFK Lot 8 and take the shuttle. I've heard that DC United has a game tonight. Not a MLS game but some fercockt CONCACAF match.

Question is ... will RFK Lot 8 be closed to Nats fans? If so, anyone know how to get to Lot 7 from Crystal City?

Thanks!

Posted by: e | September 16, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I will be the great arbitrator of Guzman's performance. I decree all shall be put into one of two divisions.

On the one hand, those who like Cristian Guzman. They see that he has surpassed their wildest expectations, first-pitch slap-hitting his way to a .300+ batting average.

On the other hand, those who do not like Cristian Guzman. They see that he has confirmed their wildest fears, first-pitch slap-hitting his way to a .300+ batting average.

Really, with Guzzie you get a guy with little plate-discipline who slap-hits or line drives all over the field with little more than double power. You either like that or you don't, and your viewpoint on how he's performing depends on if you like that or not.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 16, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

that's great that MASN is going completely HD, my one request, can they do something with sound? I have sound problems with every MASN HD game. I have to turn it up so loud that when a commercial comes on I am blasted.

Posted by: cadeck | September 16, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes! And solve the other sound problem where it gets louder and softer over and over.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 16, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Now if we can just get Verizon FIOS to set aside a MASN HD channel by next spring.

Posted by: 419E | September 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

506 - I consider myself a Guz fan, but I think you can't discount his defense as part of his evaluation. If Gonzalez could hit as well as Guzman he's be a perpetual gold glover and all-star. If Guzman took his D and Miguel Estrada's powere he's be an all-star every year (and not a charity selection).

Again, I'm a fan of Guz, and his contract, but I also can't wait to see his replacement make it up from the minors.

Posted by: estuartj | September 16, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree, estuartj. I did focus on your comment on his lack of pop - and he has a career high homer total this year. You're right on D. With Zimm's plus-plus range, though, we can have a subpar defensive shortstop. As you say, until his replacement makes it up from the minors.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 16, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm with those who believe that the baseball gods do not look kindly on fans that root for losses. The rest of this year, and next year, at least, are about rooting for results like we saw last night. Specifically:

Lannan, W
PMartinez, L

Another step forward for The Plan. Contributing to another late-season collapse by our neighbors to the north.

Also, Tim Tolman left third base last night to tend to a family matter, but he was tagged out well before he reached home.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks!

Posted by: e | September 16, 2008 3:40 PM

_________________

Hey 'e'

Why don't you just Metro from Crystal City to the game?! I mean, you're right at a Metro stop in Crystal City and the stadium is two blocks away from the Navy Yard station.

Driving across the 14th Street Bridge, etc. to RFK and then shuttling by buses back to the stadium not only wastes your time but also fuel and pollutes the air to boot. Metro will only cost you about four bucks round trip and will help save the planet. What a deal!

Posted by: DE | September 16, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"we can have a subpar defensive shortstop" -506 (BM)

Guzzie's Range Factor is above average in both leagues. (He's at 4.48. NL avg:4.45 AL avg:4.39) I've been impressed with his hands this season, as well. I make no bones what-so-ever having Gooz starting. The defense doesn't suffer too bad at all.

Posted by: Section 138 | September 16, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Come on folks. I'm not a huge Guzman fan, but the facts are the facts. He leads the team in batting average (among players with more than 60 ABs), doubles, and triples. His on base percentage (.343) is the highest of Nationals players with more than 300 ABs, and third highest (after Dukes and Belliard) of players with more than 200 ABs. Even his slugging average (.441), fourth highest among players with over 200 ABs, is higher than Milledge and Flores, and just a point behind Zimmerman. Granted the competition is not stiff here. But he's an middle infielder, not an outfielder. He's had an all star year and in my opinion has played very respectable defense. With all the problems the Nats have, I'd put shortstop wayyyyy down the list of positions needing improvement.

Posted by: Section 222 | September 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if it's possible to have a poorer written post than mine above. That (my post), my friends, was very broke.

Posted by: Section 138 | September 16, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@DE --

While I would normally take the Metro, tonight I'll be with my wife and 3 year old daughter. Generally, it's easier to drive and take the shuttle than deal with rush-hour crowds with my little one in tow. Plus, once the game's over and we get back to my car, my daughter is fast asleep once we start leaving the RFK lot.

Posted by: e | September 16, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

BobL -- I laughed my a@@ off reading this.
------------------

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 16, 2008 4:20 PM

Posted by: e | September 16, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

You still got your point across 138!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 16, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, post of the day to Bob.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 16, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I started this whole Guzman analysis, it wasn't my intention. I still do find it interesting that we have over $27 million of salary committed to Johnson, Young, Kearns & Guzman, all of which have been injured in recent years and some of which have underperformed in recent years.

Posted by: estuartj | September 16, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

You read it here first - Austin Kearns will be the short RH-hitting piece of a 1B/DH platoon in New Yankee Stadium (or "Lehman Brothers Field") by this time next season.

Young will be on the payroll but off the roster, Nick Johnson will be day-to-day with a nagging leg injury and Guzman will be "first-pitch slap-hitting his way to a .300+ batting average."

Posted by: Not Really Hank Steinbrenner | September 16, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Any idea why they were wearing royal blue caps with the home uniform last night? I haven't noticed that combo before.

Posted by: N@sfan | September 16, 2008 5:16 PM | Report abuse

It was their first home game since 9/11. All the teams did it, I believe.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Posted by: N@sfan | September 16, 2008 5:16 PM

Posted by: Section 138 | September 16, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

They were 9/11 commemorative caps with proceeds to help veterans. The logos are all stars-and-stripesy.

Posted by: sid bluntley | September 16, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

whoopy, whoopy for MASN HD. Since I'm one of those cavemen without a suitable receiver I could care less. What does frost me is that Charlie & Dave are only on AM now. 107.7 wasn't all that strong but I could get it. Now I'm going to have to play with antennae and find out if I can get 1500 (probably can, that's WTOP's old channel and I recall it being fairly robust)

Posted by: weeble | September 16, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, e and 506.

e, there is a map of RFK parking lots here:

And 320 has some potentially useful stuff here:

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 16, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Beating the dead horse/Guzman discussion:

Further to the above, I checked slugging percentages of other MLB shortstops. Ramirez of Florida leads all with .525. Following him are Hardy at .480, Drew at .478, Reyes at .476, Aviles (of KC) at .466, Peralta at .465, and just 2 ticks above Guzzie, JRollz at .443. That puts our Guzzie at 8th (and Aviles has less than 400 ABs, so perhaps he's really 7th overall). In case you were wondering, Jeter checks in at .416, Tejada at .421, and Young of Texas in the .390s.

Posted by: CapPeterson | September 16, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Beating the dead horse/Guzman discussion:

Posted by: CapPeterson | September 16, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the duplication!

Posted by: CapPeterson | September 16, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

weeble, I am also a cable troglodyte. As for the AM reception issue, This afternoon I tried picking up broadcasts from the various affiliates listed on the team site, and was only able to pick up 820 AM with any degree of clarity. Not sure whether that station will still carry the Nats, though. I did find some info on improving AM reception at the site below. Granted it's five years old, but maybe some it of will be helpful. I'm going to ask my techie husband about antenna and other possibilities tonite (if you don't hear from me for a while, I may have fallen off my roof).

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Hope this isn't a dup or a trip, but it seemed like this did not get through when I tried to post.
--------------------------
Guz has worked his OPS+ up to 105, with 100 being the major league average hitter. You can argue career year, or you can say he projects a decline due to age, etc... but you have to say this year he's an above average SS offensively. Defensively, there are some stats that make him look average (range factor, zone rating), some that make him look worse (fielding % of .970 is 16th out of 17 SS that qualify for the batting title - a proxy for regulars).

If I could have a glove at one spot and a bat at another, I'd rather have the bat at 2d and the glove at SS. The Nats are a bit backwards there going into 2009.

Posted by: PTBNL | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PTBNL | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PTBNL | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PTBNL | September 16, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I'm up.

Posted by: gnupe oste | September 16, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

No problem with the dupe, cap, I had a triple! ;)

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 16, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

uh, make that a grand slam

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 16, 2008 7:39 PM | Report abuse

or a homer... ANYway - see you at the new post

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 16, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

it'd be great if the nats could move to comcast sportsnet.

Posted by: dj | September 16, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow you mean MASN the company that Angelos controls is actually going to let more Nats games be shown in HD? Thats freaking amazing....I doubt we even got 40 games this year in HD and half the time when they were in HD it was because the other team was showing it. I hate Angelos for screwing over the Nats with their TV broadcasts...of course the Nats don't have a lot of people watching it on TV....because more often then not.....the games aren't even listed on the TV schedules...you have to know to check MASN2 where it lists all sorts of things but the game. Also the broadcast quality on regular MASN and MASN2 is horrendous.

Posted by: sandecker | September 17, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse