Notes and lineups

* Perhaps you're wondering about the press release issued by the Nats today announcing that three players have been recalled -- not to report -- and one player has been placed on the 60-day DL. Those recalled from Columbus and not reporting: pitchers Tyler Clippard, Mike O'Connor and Ryan Wagner. Justin Maxwell, meanwhile, was recalled and then transferred immediately to the 60-day DL.

Nats PR man John Dever told me that the moves are strictly procedural, a technicality for the MLB computers. Every team makes moves like this after the minor league season ends, but almost none are announced. I'll try to get more on the rule/regulation behind this transaction later today, but here's the bottom line: This doesn't affect the composition of the Nats' clubhouse, nor does it change anything for Clippard, Wagner and O'Connor. The move with Maxwell, though, does open up another spot on the 40-man roster. (I'm guessing that this is a mandatory step that organizations must take once the season ends for minor league players who are on the 40-man roster. The only other man currently on the 40-man roster -- aside from the aforementioned players -- who is neither 1.) injured nor 2.) currently with the team is P Ross Detwiler. And he's playing for Potomac, now in the playoffs.)

* If you have the time, check out the radio podcast of the Post's Marc Fisher. Along with Phil Wood and Dan Steinberg, he discusses the future of baseball in DC, along with some challenges facing the Nats.

* P Joel Hanrahan is Washington's recipient of the 2008 Roberto Clemente Award, and by extension, he becomes one of the 30 nominees for the league-wide Clemente award, given annually to the major leaguer who "combines outstanding skills on the baseball field with devoted work in the community." Hanrahan this year began a partnership with the American Red Cross and led efforts to raise awareness and funds for disaster relief in Iowa, his home state, which was hit hard by flooding.

Philadelphia

Belliard - 3
Dukes - 9
Flores - 2
Gonzalez - 6
Lannan - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 2, 2008; 3:18 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: At the root of the W streak
Next: Guzman: NL co-player of the week

Comments

Thanks for the info on Hanrahan's nomination. That's great! Also, just noticed that Guze was chosen as co-player of the week for the NL, along with Bronson Arroyo. GUUUUZZ!!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 2, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

D'oh! I see that someone posted my breaking news in the comments of the prior entry. Well, it was worth telling again, anyway. :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 2, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow, look at 1, 7, 8 and tell me Manny isn't trying to break the streak. Our lead in the draft-stakes is dwindling and we need to mix up the line-up to make something happen, another week like this and we'll be drafting 3rd...

Posted by: estuartj | September 2, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Fan voting is part of the award for the Clemente award so everyone vote for Hanrahan!

Posted by: yayhoo | September 2, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

While we're stuffing the ballot boxes, the Nats tv broadcasters and Charlie Slowes are up for the Frick Award, for which you can also vote via the MLB site. Come on, all of you one of 9,000/26,500 folks - you know who you are...

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 2, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"Wow, look at 1, 7, 8 and tell me Manny isn't trying to break the streak"

Manny isn't trying to break the streak. It's more or less what he's been doing all season; putting guys (e.g., Gonzalez) into the lineup the second they're either called up or come back from the DL.

And what's wrong with 1? You don't like a speedy guy hitting .462 leading off?

I think it's nice to see a Nat's lineup with Flores hitting 7, and think, yeah, that's probably where he should be in this lineup (rather than "why isn't he hitting 3 or 4" like it's been much of the year).

Posted by: joebleux | September 2, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Blame the computers, I know the TRUTH.

If they reported, Teddy would have to pay them major league per diem!

Posted by: Green Eyeshade | September 2, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, 1, 2 & 8. I know they want to give the guys some playing time, but none of those 3 should be everyday starters so having them all start on the same day doesn't sound like a way to keep the streak going...

Posted by: estuartj | September 2, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you Hernandez and Gonzalez, but you forget the black hole that is Left Field for the Washington Nationals in '08...

Posted by: MO Nats Fan | September 2, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Why is Milledge batting cleanup and Dukes batting 6? I guess this is a Sunday Day game so sitting Boni and Guz makes sense...wait it's Tuesday? Nevermind.

With these players I think you go;
1. Harris
2. Milledge
3. Zimmerman
4. Dukes
5. Flores
6. Belliard
7. Hernandez
8. Gonzalez
9. Lannan

Posted by: estuartj | September 2, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

3-7 have been in this order a while. It keeps a team rythum.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 2, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Posted by: e | September 2, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

and I really like the platooning of Hernandez (vs LHP) and Boni (vs RHP). I wish Manny would platoon more based on the splits ...

Posted by: e | September 2, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

For all the FA speculation in the recent posts today count me in the Big FA or No FA camp. I just can't go through another season of watching overpaid aging FA's like Estrada, LoDuca or Mackowiac taking at bats from our young players. With that being said Harris, Odalis and Aaron Boone were very worthy pick ups this off season. So I suppose we are 3/6 in that category. Should I include Shell, Manning, Orr and Sanchez? If so, then we did quite well in off season acquisitions. Maybe I should not complain.

The scouting staff seems to find people who are under the radar in terms of typical speculation. Who would have thought of Bonaficio, Gonzales or Hernandez as being added to shore up our middle infield depth? My hope is that they can find a minor league first baseman that can be acquired relatively cheap who can make the team next year. I would think that there has to be major league teams that have first basemen piled up in the minors who do not have a good chance of making it with the parent club.

Posted by: Dale | September 2, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Before we leave the "what FAs to look at" discussion altogether, let me put in a plug for two somewhat lesser names, Derek Lowe and Raul Ibanez. Derek Lowe is a #2 starter who has been healthy for his career. Love to see that sinker ball working and have Zimmerman, perhaps Boni, and Nick behind him.

Ibanez has been playing left but I believe has played 1st a lot earlier in his career. He's old, but has not tailed at all in his career.

I still hope to see Nick out there for us. I would not kick him off the team if he were healthy. Of course, he can't be counted on. However, adding Ibanez tothe mix of OFs and 1st basemen would give us options. Best case line up might Ibanez / Milledge / Dukes, with Johnson / a Belli-Harris platoon / Guz / Zimmerman, and Flores. Nick out, Ibanez at 1st, AK/WH in the outfield. Boni gets time if he earns it.

Posted by: PTBNL | September 2, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Some starting points for first base prospect ideas:

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 2, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@ 1b I would go with NJ/DY for as long as possible. Then maybe let Belliard play there for a little while if those two go down. Then maybe Casto. and then Marrero. Maybe put Rhinehart in there somewhere.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | September 2, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

andrew, i completely disagree that we should go into next season with NJ/DY. if this team is to ever be competitive, you can't put yourself in a position where what's supposed to be one of your most productive offensive position is down to third, fourth, or fifth string so easily. they need a reliable every-day guy who can play that spot. if he's a flexible OF/1B, so much the better if nick is healthy.

i'll add my thoughts from last post (since i posted it late there).

other thoughts on that hybrid could include casey blake (1B/3B/OF), chris duncan, matt stairs, jeff baker (1B/2B/OF)... maybe of those duncan and baker would be interesting, since they're relatively young. or blake as a stop gap if he'd sign a 2 yr deal.

blake and stairs are FAs. the others would require trades.

Posted by: 231 | September 2, 2008 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Jesus Flores is now listed as day-to-day.

Posted by: i hate walks | September 2, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

So what is the rule/regulation behind this transaction? OK, so it's a technicality -- still, what's the technical reason. Anybody know?

Posted by: A DC Wonk | September 3, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse