P-Nats one win away

Just a few quick things to start the morning.

First of all, thanks for a great, lively discussion yesterday. Today's off day feature comes in the form of a Boz column -- link is here -- that crystallizes the stakes for Elijah Dukes.

Writes Boz: "Dukes has to grow up. Not totally, but enough."

Also, backed by (moderate? popular?) demand, here's your P-Nats update.

The Potomac Nationals -- Washington's Class A affiliate in the Carolina League -- are now just one win away from their first-ever league championship. They took the third game in their best-of-five series against Myrtle Beach last night in dramatic fashion. They rallied from three down in the bottom of the ninth with two outs... and won it in the 10th, 8-7, grabbing a 2-1 series lead. Michael Burgess had the walk-off walk. Ross Detwiler, who'd started the game for the P-Nats, allowed four runs in 4-2/3 innings but struck out nine.

You can read more here.

They try to win the series for good at 7:05 tonight.

By Chico Harlan  |  September 12, 2008; 7:34 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: All the news that's fit to print -- and more
Next: Dukes: "I basically let my emotions just get the best of me"

Comments

I think Burgess had a walk-off walk, which might be more encouraging. We know Burgess can hit, but can he show discipline.

Vermont was our best team last year, and that led to Potomac being our best (other than the Dominican Summer League team 1) this year, as the kids matured. Hopefully this leads to a championship in Harrisburg next year, and a crop of kids ready to play for the Nats in DC by 2010.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 12, 2008 7:53 AM | Report abuse

Chico -- why did you link us to an mlb.com article about the P-Nats, and not to the article in the Post's Sports Section on their acheivements? Can't be because the Post didn't cover this game, can it?

When was the last time any professional team at any level in any sport in the Washington area was playing for a championship? Maybe D.C. United? And they got press. Even high school teams get proper Post coverage in situations like this, don't they? Why not the Nats affiliate that is only 30 miles away from your desk? I trust your editors will remedy this mistake for games 4 and 5, and feature this great acheivement more prominently.

Posted by: Deep Fried Screech | September 12, 2008 8:11 AM | Report abuse

Sorry folks. It's Friday and the only thing we can expect to see in Saturday and Sunday's Post about the P-Nats game will be the single line game score.

The Redskins are playing this weekend so they'll need every last millimeter to discus the bowel habits of the special teams coach

Posted by: All Redskins All The Time | September 12, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the P-Nats shout-out, Chico (and PHS is correct that it was a walk-off walk). It was a seesaw of a game and a terrific comeback!

Also, I've been catching up with my post-vacation reading and wanted to say that I enjoyed the pepper piece.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Not a bad article by Boz, brings some new insight to the differences in the sports. But I do think it is important to note that Elijah was hit later in that game and kept his composure. As the Nationals, I seize on that as proof of what is expected of a superstar.

Posted by: GoNats | September 12, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the heads-up on Burgess. I'll correct.

Posted by: Chico Harlan | September 12, 2008 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I don't begrudge people having their criticisms (even if I think they're incredibly nit-picky and petulant), but I'm approaching the point where I'm about to stop coming here because the "Post sucks" crowd is beginning to drown out the discussion of the team itself.

Perhaps a separate "talk back to the beat writer" thread each day that all of us (and I suspect Chico and his editors) can ignore if we're so inclined?

Posted by: Not Really Interested in Media Criticism | September 12, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I've missed the NY series, kids; I've been busy.

************************
The Potomac Nationals rallied from three down in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, and won it in the 10th, 8-7, grabbing a 2-1 series lead.

Posted by: Elwood | September 12, 2008 8:32 AM | Report abuse

You do realize, of course, this is an implicit criticism of The Post's baseball coverage, not supplying even a place to talk about the lack of it, besides here?
Just sayin.

****************

Posted by: Sec. 3 MC, Positively Half-in-jest | September 12, 2008 8:37 AM | Report abuse

But seriously, you're right, and the roster in here has turned over several times because of "this sucks" and "that sucks" and "he's a bum" and "they're momsers" overwhelming the baseball. It's just a perfect storm of (Not A Baseball Town yet)+(season in the tank)+(a culture of windging entitlement).

It'll pass. Come and go as you please. They do.

***************

Posted by: ce | September 12, 2008 8:50 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if this holds true for shoulders and elbows?

*****************
Arthritis knee op 'does not work'

An operation offered to ease the symptoms of osteoarthritis makes no difference, say Canadian doctors.

Patients given knee arthroscopy showed no improvement beyond that provided by physiotherapy and painkillers.

Arthritis experts in the UK said some surgeons were still carrying out the operation, against national guidance.

They said New England Journal of Medicine study showed doctors still relying on the technique to treat osteoarthritis were misguided.

Spokesman
Arthritis Research Campaign

Thousands of people in the UK suffer from osteoarthritis in the knee, which can be painful and limit movement.

The operation involves inserting instruments through small incisions to try to flush out loose fragments of cartilage, and to smooth the surfaces of the joints, in the hope that this will relieve symptoms.

A group of 178 men and women, with an average age of 60, were enrolled in the trial at the University of Western Ontario.

All of them were given physiotherapy and painkilling drugs such as ibuprofen, but half of the volunteers were also given the "lavage and debridement" procedure.

When their symptoms were compared at various points afterwards, the group who had the operation were faring no better than those who had not received it.

Guidelines breached

Dr Brian Feagan, one of the researchers, said: "This is definitive evidence that arthroscopic surgery provides no additional therapeutic value when added to physical therapy and medication for patients with moderate osteoarthritis of the knee."

This type of surgery is still recommended for some other knee conditions, including more severe osteoarthritis where the knee is "locked" in position, but is not recommended for moderate osteoarthritis by the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, which formulates UK guidelines.

A spokesman for the Arthritis Research Campaign said there was no longer any excuse for performing it in patients with less severe arthritis.

"Arthroscopic lavage and debridement is still commonly performed in the US but more rarely in the UK over the past ten years, and is no longer accepted as an effective treatment for osteoarthritis of the knee in this country.

"Surgeons still performing this operation need to ask themselves why they are doing it."

Story from BBC NEWS:

Published: 2008/09/12 08:03:04 GMT

Posted by: CE | September 12, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Atta boy, Elwood!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

"momsers"

Awesome.

Posted by: Not Really Jewish but I love the Yiddish | September 12, 2008 9:24 AM | Report abuse

Love the Yiddish, too, but that particular term is a bit harsh, methinks (and speculative unless ce knows something that we don't ;-)).

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

"why did you link us to an mlb.com article about the P-Nats, and not to the article in the Post's Sports Section on their acheivements? Can't be because the Post didn't cover this game, can it?"

The Post critics have some good points. But this one here tries to compare a niche one-issue website (and a really crappy one at that) to a big sports section (and maybe a really crappy one). The comparison doesn't work.

Posted by: Just Sayin' | September 12, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I tried to listen to the game on MiLB Gameday Audio, but it wouldn't load. Has anyone else experienced that problem? I have no problem listening to MLB Gameday Audio.

Man, I'd love to hear the game tonight.

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 12, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Is there any way we could have separate threads for people who want to discuss the team and those who want to discuss the Post's coverage of the team?"

Only if we can have a third thread for people who want to complain about some people discussing the coverage and other people discussing the team. I don't mind reading posts by some people discussing the coverage and other people discussing the team, but I'm tired of having to wade through all those posts that complain about some people discussing the coverage and other people discussing the team.

Posted by: 506's snark has a groin pull | September 12, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Can we have a fourth thread for me and my detractors?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Well if we're going that route, I want my own thread. In that thread, the following topics will be fair game:

Bacon
Introducing cheerleaders to baseball
Animals with teeth (sharks, tigers, bears, etc.)
Bacon
Cars with 300 hp+ engines
hockey fights
and Bacon

It'll be the awesomest thread that ever did awesome on the Post website.

Posted by: Deep Fried Screech | September 12, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I'm totally going to hang out at the Bacon thread. Except instead of thread we need to call it a strip.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

"Introducing cheerleaders to baseball"

Only if none of them are named Clint.

Posted by: and just to be safe, make sure that none of them have ever heard of ryan seacrest either | September 12, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

What, no Deep Fried Screech thread? :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"Only if we can have a third thread for people who want to complain about some people discussing the coverage and other people discussing the team."

Touche.

I'll just go somewhere else.

Posted by: Not Really Interested in Media Criticism | September 12, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

[quote=boswell]In 177 at-bats, he's hitting .322, slugging .605 with a .415 on-base percentage and 11 homers, plus 10 steals. Could he do that for a full season? You've got to prove it. But it'd be near 200 hits, 40 doubles, 38 homers, 120 RBI and 35 steals. Total superstar. [/quote]

interesting. that would look like soriano+ if he could make those numbers. plus the arm. who knows if he can sustain it over a full season, let alone multiple seasons. but it'll be interesting watching to find out.

not that i think they should have paid well over $100m to find out, but it sure would be interesting to have dukes and soriano as your corner OFs. 40/40 potential and generally 30/30ish production on the corners would be awesome.

Posted by: 231 | September 12, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I've not tried the game broadcasts, John, but you might try listening to the audio clip via the link below (under the photo; clips are both the same - Solano's homer - though labeled differently).

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

p.s. I think that I can hear myself cheering in the clip. :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Nice P-Nats feature from the Potomac News (no more P-Nats links today, I promise):

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Chico and everyone else for all of the P-Nats discussion! I hope they win tonight!

Posted by: Patty | September 12, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"Introducing cheerleaders to baseball"

Sorry; it's too late to "introduce" them. I saw my first cheeleaders at a professional baseball game a dozen years ago in Australia -- it was a doubleheader between the Perth Heat and Brisbane Bandits.

And the Florida Marlins have already brought cheerleading to MLB with both male and female cheer squads known as the Mermaids and the Manatees.

Nonetheless, nobody goes to their games.

Posted by: Sec 222 Upper Half | September 12, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Cheerleading is exactly what's wrong with football and what is right with baseball. Please pass the scones.

Posted by: Society Upper Half | September 12, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm not one of the "coverage is lacking" crowd. But, it's pretty ridiculous that the Post isn't covering the CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES of the LOCALLY BASED minor leauge affilaite of the LOCAL TEAM. Perhaps a motto change is needed: "Even if you get it, you won't get it."

Posted by: MVM | September 12, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm in Chico's corner for this one. It's not his fault. I believe he is in Miami right now to cover the big league club.

But it'd be nice if the Washington Post left Sarah Palin's personal life alone and focused more on the Nats minor league system - the most important piece of the Nationals "Plan."

Posted by: Dagger | September 12, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Didn't the Post send interns to cover some Nats games while Chico was off and/or writing other Nats' related stories? Would it have hurt the Post to send one kid down to Pfitzner Stadium to cover the game/series?

The Post treats the Nats as if they were Rodney Dangerfield ... No respect!

Posted by: e | September 12, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Dagger (coverage is more of an editorial decision, methinks), and didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

The failure to cover the P-Nats definitely isn't Chico's fault, and I'm sorry if I suggested otherwise. It *is* absolutely his editor's fault, though. Why can't the post cut Svrluga away from pre-game Redskins coverage for two days, and let him head down to Woodbridge on special assignment? He can still make it out to FedEx on Sunday, and help file one of the 37 Redskins articles the Post will run this week.

Posted by: Deep Fried Screech | September 12, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

I really hate to be saying this, but any of you out there who like me have been making a point of searching out and reading Barry Svrluga's daily Redskins stories would be well advised to skip today's. To steal a line from Charlie Slowes, all I can say is this: Barry, what were you doing? What were you thinking when you wrote this story? It's pretty obvious that the pressure of daily writing has gotten to you, and you've already hit the wall even before the second game of the season. If only the Post would give you a sweet deal like Chico Harlan's where you could take a couple of days off every now and then...

Posted by: did you see it? | September 12, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I am not certain that the Post is aware that certain games happen. Someone mentioned high school sports. Last Friday there were over seventy five games and the Post covered eight of them with reporters on the scene. Not bad.

On Monday their #1 ranked team played because of the rainout over the weekend. No reporter, no line score, nothing. I emailed the Post high school editor and got some long song and dance about the number of high schools that they cover, blah, blah. What he didn't even realize that is;

1) the game was being played
2) that there were only eight other games that day.

Posted by: JT | September 12, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Sigh.

***************

Touche.

I'll just go somewhere else.

Posted by: ce | September 12, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Well, I know plenty, but in this case it's just a reference to a famous Kasten prediction.

**********

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 9:30 AM

Posted by: ce | September 12, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't like the word: 'methinks'. It's pretentious and snobby.

Also, I don't like it when people use chopsticks when there is a perfectly good fork and spoon just laying there, on the table.

Posted by: RyanDylan | September 12, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ce, I didn't get the Kasten reference.

RyanDylan, perhaps you are not aware that there is a snarky tradition regarding the use of "methinks" in Nationals Journal comments. Basically, NatsNut beat you to the punch on that one, and use of the phrases in question ran rampant in response to her posting. Forewarned is forearmed and all that. ;-)

From the archives:

two phrases that should be banned from English forever: "methinks" and "without further ado"

If what you're saying has otherwise no connection to Shakespeare whatsoever, i.e. baseball game times, please don't use it. It's a big, ugly brick in the middle of an otherwise fine sentence.

(Not picking on you at all MNF, you just reminded me of it).

And if I hear "without further ado" in an introduction one more time I think I'm going to punch someone in the face!!

Posted by: NatsNut | April 30, 2008 12:48 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Peace, NatsNut. :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Grade for natsfan1a, C-. You whiffed a perfectly good opportunity to say "without further ado, from the archives:"

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Right you are, 506 - how did I miss that one? :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Methinks, me hearties, albiet without further ado, further Adu: http://tinyurl.com/436b45

Posted by: Sec. 3, MC, On The Bus | September 12, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"I'm pretty sure the point was, you *could* just add to the baseball discussion itself."

---

[OK, I lied. I came back.]

The point I was trying to make was that I have tried occasionally to add to the baseball discussion - but as often as not any point I make is buried in the anti-Posto. [Get it?]

[Snarky comments about MASN in 3-2-1 ...]

Posted by: Not Really Interested in Media Criticism | September 12, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Anti-Posto = brilliant

What baseball topics do you want to discuss? I'm game, too. Still curious about this Hanrahan as closer question.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

"I'm just reaching the point where the signal to noise ratio on baseball here is dangerously low. When that happens, it's usually time to change the station."

Go back over the last 20 or so comments and calculate the signal to noise ratio on baseball, or even on baseball writing, in comparison with "inside" exchanges between the likes of natsfan1a, Section 506 (Before moving), NatsNut and the like. That's the kind of stuff that rarely makes me feel welcome commenting here, like I'm trespassing on their own little private playground or something. Couple that with the tendency to chase off, snark at or belittle others when their comments aren't "acceptable", and it's a wonder there's ever any room for baseball or baseball media discussion here at all.

Posted by: 506's snark has a groin pull | September 12, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Please, groin pull, I am a club of one.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I was at the P-Nats game last night. Great game, wish more fans came to support the team. Detwiler looked great at times and wild at times.

Posted by: Go Nats | September 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of coverage, there's this item which I read about in my other life....

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Is it too ealry to start talking about next years opening day roster?

I say we need to get a first baseman who can hit and stay healthy. And a starting pitcher that is better than odalis perez to go with lannan, balester, bergmann, and redding.

It would be nice to see someone better than Kearns in right but at least he plays good defense when he is healthy.

The line up is pretty much set with

c- flores
1st - ????
2nd - bonifacio/hernandez/gonzalez
ss - guzman
3rd - Zimmerman
lf- Dukes
cf -Milledge
rf - Kearns

What will be interesting to see who ends up in the bullpen. Mock, Hanrahan, Hinckley, Colome, Rivera, Chico (is he still hurt?), Shell but no Cordero.

Also what will the bench look like. Harris, Boone, 2 of Bonifacio, Hernandez, and Gonzalez, Bernadina, Langerhans, Orr, Young, Casto??

Oh and is Nick Johnson still under contract.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

The MI logjam is the one that I find most interesting ... unlike similar competititons in the past where one or more guys played themselves off the roster, the current small-sample-size-apalooza suggests that the three-headed water bug of Bonihernalez are all worth a closer look.

Posted by: NRI in MC (got tired of typing it) | September 12, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe all three have good enough springs that you flip one to a team for another bench player?"

I think all three of them are stillyoung enough yet to have options left. Bring them all to ST, let them fight it out for two slots on the big league team, and send the one who doesn't make it down to AAA/AA as insurance in case the two that do make the team get hurt or falter during the season.

Posted by: 506's snark has a groin pull | September 12, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Not Really Interested in Media Criticism, you've got to claim Bonihernalez as your handle. That's the best name portmanteau since Langerlogan.

I want to see a lot more of the AG and Hernandez. I'm having trouble choosing which one I'd rather have around as a back-up/Boni Insurance.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

First of all, thanks for the link, natsfan1a. And thanks for cheering so loudly - it makes up for those of us who can't be there.

Secondly, when you're a Nationals fan, it's never too early to start talking about next year. Like you, I find the bullpen situation intriguing. Don't forget that Ryan Wagner should be able to compete for a job in March.

NRI gets a tip of the hat for "small-sample-size-apolooza." I'd have personally gone for "o-rama," but upon further inspection, it really is more palooza-ish than it is rama-like.

However, I don't know if they can afford to carry all three, especially if they keep Belly. I see the possibility of a Belly/Boni platoon. You can either send Gonzalez and Hernandez to Columbus as reserves, or keep one for a utility bench role.

If they keep Harris, though, they won't need that utility bench player.

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 12, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Harris can also be used as a utility bench. He once stood on his hands and knees for an entire game so that Manny Acta wouldn't have to sit on a dirty dugout bench, only taking breaks to take his at bats. He hit all home runs, so that Manny wouldn't have to stand more than a minute or two.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

NRI in MC, you should also immediately get to work on claiming "three-headed water bug" as yet another alternate nom de plume. Two gems in one post.

Posted by: faNATic | September 12, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Go Nats-

I was going to try to make the game, but I was advised the experience of trying to get from Rockville to Woodbridge at 5:15 would be less than pleasant. I got an email from someone who said they tried it once, only to arrive 3 innings late, and with steering wheel marks in their forehead from the banging they performed.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Great game, wish more fans came to support the team.
Posted by: Go Nats | September 12, 2008 2:20 PM

Posted by: Section 138 | September 12, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@ Anonymous,

To answer some of your questions:

Chico had Tommy-John surgery a few months back. A return will not be made by spring training (unless he gets Elijah to rub it daily).
Yes, Nick Johnson is still under contract (one more year).

I must end it now, as I have used up all the parenthesis left in my computer.

Posted by: Section 138 | September 12, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Can someone confirm I used the correct plural of Parenthesis? Parentheses? Parenthesy?

Posted by: Section 138 | September 12, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, JiM. I'll cheer loudly for you tonite, too.

Sect. 138, I've not tried that commute but can imagine that it would be a challenge.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

The plural would be door #2, 138 ("es").

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, natsfan1a. Also, please feel free to cheer loudly for me, as well as JiM tonight.

Posted by: Section 138 | September 12, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see Bernadina or Justin Maxwell beat out Langerhans and Wily Mo for the 4th outfielder slot. And if one could beat out Kearns and they both make the team even better.

Kory Casto can also be a back up first baseman and corner outfielder and if the team kept Harris they wouldnt even need a 4th outfielder.

How many guys did we start 2008 with in the bullpen?

Hanrahan, Mock, Hinckley and Shell are the only ones I am sold on so far and Im not sure if Hanrahan is a closer or set up man.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

You know I'm all about the Cannons, too! Go P-Nats!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

You're welcome, 138, and will do.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Here's one prospect on our list that won't make it very far...

Garrett Guzman, one of our Rule 5 draftees, that we later traded back for (since he didn't stick with the major league roster) has been charged with (and admitted to) at least twice having sex with a 15-year-old.

Hat-tip to Brian at NFA.

Posted by: faNATic | September 12, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Wagner's likely to get the benefit of the doubt and a bullpen spot, too. Let's not forget the Chief still could be back. Could.

Teams have six or seven arms in the pen, depending on their philosophies. With this crew, I would say we should have seven, especially with young starters (thought they log as many as the old ones on our team).

Hanrahan, Mock, Hinckley, Shell, Wagner (pretty nicely balanced) leaves two.

I would say Chief or a vet we pick up and Bergie (if he doesn't start) or another youngish arm.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: 15+15 = 30, right? | September 12, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Do we know who else in the 'pen will be under contract? What will be the status of Rivera and Colome?

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 12, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous, I'd love to see Maxwell edge out Wily Mo, but I think Bowden is going to give Peña another shot, hoping this year's performance can be blamed on injury. I also don't know if Maxwell will be ready.

As for Kasto, I like the idea of having him as a utility guy who can pitch in with a hard-fought AB and put the ball in play. But man, Harris almost makes other utility bench players obsolete, doesn't he?

To me, a lot of this roster centers around the reliablity of their first baseman. Look, Johnson has been my favorite National to watch since the team came to DC, but no one can argue that he or Young give this team any stability. Having them here exposes bench players like Boone, and sap the team of depth. An upgrade at first will have a ripple effect for the entire roster.

That being said, I can I identify the problem, but I can offer no viable solutions.

Posted by: John in Mpls | September 12, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

What about putting Clippard in the bullpen he is never going to make it as a starter not even on the Nats.

Cheif will be gone, I think he still feels wronged by the team for not tendering him an offer this summer. Plus he would come back as Hanrahan's set-up man and I doubt he would be up for that.

I think if you have Hanrahan, Hinckley, Mock, Shell, Wagner than 2 of Clippard, Martis, Estrada, and Rivera.

I also think Chico could be a solid long lefty in the pen when he gets healthy.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

This would not be the first title for the Class A carolina team from Woodbridge...though they were a Yankee affiliate when they last titled. I think the year was 1989.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | September 12, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

It's probably crazy talk, but why not try Wily Mo at first? If he hits as advertised, he certainly has the bat for the position - and as a defensive LF he makes a good first baseman.

Also - don't forget Aaron Boone is AMPED to be back next year (or so I read on the nationals.com site). That alone should be worth 10-15 wins.

Posted by: ntr Bonihernalez | September 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

it won't matter where cordero goes, he'll be a setup man. he may eventually have a chance to work his way back to closer, but i don't think anyone is going to risk going into the season with him as their primary closer. just doesn't make sense coming off this season and the injury.

Posted by: 231 | September 12, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Good catch, SC, it was 1989. There was a fellow sitting next to us during the DCS who had attended the 1989 LCS (and he noted that the park was packed for that one). Go P-Nats!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I saw some of that 1989 series, too. I won't tell you why I had to leave early, though.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Dukes' 2009 roommate:

A professional baseball player on the Harrisburg Senators minor league team has admitted that he twice had "sexual acts" with a teen girl from Elizabethtown, according to the Lancaster New Era.

Garrett Guzman, 25, who was living in Harrisburg at the time of the alleged offenses, was charged Wednesday by Elizabethtown police with one misdemeanor and corruption of minors. Elizabethtown police detective Clair R. Martin Jr. said the sexual contact was consensual and that the victim, who was 15, had presented herself to Guzman as a 16-year-old.

Posted by: ohplease | September 12, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Really?! His defense is "I thought she was 16"?

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull.

Posted by: ohplease | September 12, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing that maybe it was past your bedtime, 506, like the tyke who was sitting next to us last night. He was moaning "the Nationals are never going to win" when they were down 7-4. I told him that it was okay, they could still come back to win, which they did, but it was after he'd left. Hope that he heard the good news this a.m.

Also, for those who are keeping score at home, per tonite's game notes, the Alexandria Dukes won the league championship in 1982, so there have been two winners in franchise history (but none since the current owner came on the scene).

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

to be fair, 16 may be the age of consent where he was. granted, that's only a legal defense, not an moral defense...

Posted by: 231 | September 12, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

oh please

your reference to Dukes in your post borders on racism. It is not funny. It would be so appropriate if you crossed paths with Dukes after he read your racist slur. You would grovel like the coward you are.

You are a real jerk-off.

Posted by: mjames | September 12, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

It was a big day at kindergarten.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The man has fathered five children by four women, threatened another woman's life with a picture of a gun and rambling rant on a phone message -- and you're trying to tell me that it's racist if I don't refer to him as a responsible citizen?

The race card is last refuge of people who can't defend their position. When in doubt, charge racism or sexism, etc.

Open your eyes...

Posted by: ohplease | September 12, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and isn't it racist to suggest that Dukes would resort to violence if he met me after my comment? :)

Posted by: ohplease | September 12, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I want a card! I read all the time about everyone who gets off free by playing these special cards, I want one!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I suspected as much, 506. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, those cards come in handy when you don't have a good argument.

Posted by: ohplease | September 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

To clarify, my reference was to the big day for 506, not to his subsequent comment.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Daggone time-space continuum.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

IMHO the boz is spot on

Posted by: weeble | September 12, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of cards, what should be on the one with Manny's lineup tonight?

[/modeling good behavior by changing the subject]

Posted by: ntr Bonihernalez | September 12, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Tastes great!

Posted by: ntr ohplease | September 12, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Ugh, the discussion was going so nicely...what happened? Back to the 2009 roster, pls. I've heard nothing of Hill so far - is he going to make it back for spring training? Do we have another Patterson on our hands?

Posted by: Patty | September 12, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Dukes may be the most talented player to wear a Washington baseball uniform since the 1950s, but nothing excuses what he did the other night. If the Lerners would spend some money, we could have some talented players without the behavioral issues.

Posted by: ohplease | September 12, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Less filling!

Posted by: ntr mjames | September 12, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I did't watch the game the other night - was what Dukes did really that bad? Or is this just getting overblown? Don't get me wrong I would prefer less antics from anyone, but it doesn't seem like he really got too out of control.

Posted by: Patty | September 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"Tastes great!"
"Less filling!"

Who the %^&$ cares? It's beer.

Shut up and watch the game.

Posted by: ntr the rest of us | September 12, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

"nothing excuses what he did the other night"

You clearly missed yesterday's 24-hour debate of this. Check up on it. Also, please do not watch any more baseball games, since your fragile soul will likely receive much greater shocks in the near future. I would recommend avoiding the news and Animal Planet as well.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"He's an emotional player, but I don't know if there's really a place for that in this kind of game," teammate Ryan Zimmerman said of Dukes' antics.

Posted by: ohplease | September 12, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Good times.

Posted by: This is progress? | September 12, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Our little corner of the Constituency is in its teenage years. Last year it was a child, full of wonder and glee at the wonderful new thing it has discovered. This year, it is a teenager that sees everything wrong and wants to talk about changing it. I'm up for continuing to grow together to become matured Washington baseball fan bloggers, whatever that may be.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 12, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"So ... a day that began with a bunch of people not talking about the Nats but instead ripping the Post's Nats coverage ends with someone quoting the Post's coverage while not talking about the Nats."

That's not change we can believe in. That's more of the same. Welcome to NJ.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | September 12, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: new post | September 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: new post | September 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: new post | September 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

new post

Posted by: new post | September 12, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Sigh.

"Also, backed by (moderate? popular?) demand, here's your P-Nats update."

BACK (as in, returning) by popular demand.

Posted by: it's a doggy-dog world | September 12, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Well, keep it out of Harrisburg, then.

********************