Sky High

Here at Shea for the last time, I'm giving those not fortunate enough to be here (ahem, ahem) a glance inside the mod royal blue exterior. The mezzanine level hallway, leading to the press box, is plastered with super-enlarged photos of past team yearbooks. There's perhaps no better collection of mustaches in America. But I wanted to harken back to my favorite yearbook on display -- that of the 1969 team.

Not enough designers nowadays take advantage of the disembodied head effect.

1969Yearbook.jpg

By Chico Harlan  |  September 10, 2008; 3:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Feeling fine
Next: Tonight's lineups

Comments

I'd love to hear O's Exec's thoughts on the 1969 New York Mets.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | September 10, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Could I hear a few comments from the cognoscenti regarding Osvaldo Rodriguez? I am somewhat new to this sport. And did anyone find out where he was for the two missing years? He's with our PNats now.

estoy firmado! Segue to Segway! Go away FBI! Your General Manager and YMOS James Gordon Bowden III

Posted by: Jim B | September 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Admit it Chico, "sky high" is a reference to the fact that you are completely baked right now, you stoner.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 10, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Hey, kids, click on the "comments" button to see the full collection of disembodied heads (collect 'em all).

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 10, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Late to the party on this one (my Comcast service was down all morning) but in Chico's gamer he alludes to Luis Ayala "hesitating" to use his fastball while pitching for the Nats but how "a change in scenery can change the results." Reading between the lines, it seems to me Ayala may have intentionally tanked it once Rauch was made closer when Cordero was hurt. Per Chico's words "unhappy with his setup role in Washington, Ayala requested a trade." So, his pouting was rewarded with a ticket out of town and now all of a sudden he can throw his sinker for strikes? There's something rotten here.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

leetee, that's nuts -- not the good kind (nats) or the bad kind (numb) -- but just plain ol' nuts. No pitcher is going to deliberately pitch poorly -- that's like burning money. His next contract will definitely reflect his performance as a Nat.

Posted by: joebleux | September 10, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

i'm going to guess Os execs thoughts about the 69 mets will be something along the lines of, "what? first of all, i wasn't born yet. second, you have to *get* to the WS to lose it. the other 11 teams in the AL didn't get there (including the senators)."

Posted by: 231 | September 10, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for covering for me, dad.

Posted by: NR O's Exec | September 10, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Mmmmm. LOVE those disembodied heads!

Posted by: charlie | September 10, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

I actually have the World Series Playbook and ticket stubs to the final games of both the pennant and Word Series. My parents were lucky enough to go.

Posted by: phikappa | September 11, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse