This afternoon's lineups

Uggla - 4
Gonzalez - 7
Ross - 9
Amezaga - 8
Sanchez - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 14, 2008; 11:48 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Links
Next: The worst inning of baseball?

Comments

Okay, folks, seriously. I'm trying really hard to avoid doing some work today. Y'all are really NOT helping.

It's okay. I guess I'd rather know now than later whom I can and can't count on when I need it.

On another note, nice to see Montz in the lineup. Jeez, what does this guy have to do to get an at-bat? (I mean, besides maybe get a hit. Can't get hits if you don't play.)

Posted by: Scooter | September 14, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you, Scooter. Trying to avoid work and NJ is providing little respite.

Tragically, Luke Montz hasn't gotten hits up here even when he has played. It seemed like he knocked the cover off the ball in the lower minors this year, did a bit worse as he got promoted, and has pretty much been overwhelmed at the majors. Of course, this all makes sense and is a rational progression for an unseasoned minors hitter, but the next two weeks is certainly the time to see if he can make any adjustments up here.

Posted by: faNATic | September 14, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to see that Manny really wants me.

Posted by: Stephen Strasburg | September 14, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Montz has, what, 10 plate appearances? I guess they've just decided he's not worth looking at, and he's only here so Nieves can sit on Sundays.

Goodness knows I haven't seen Montz play (except for those 3 games he's gotten into), so I really can't argue with their judgment. I just would like to see a bit more of him. Montz may well not be the future, but it's a lock hat Nieves is not (as great a story as he was early this season).

Posted by: Scooter | September 14, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Do you think Balester was mad when he saw how the lineup card was filled out? I know I would have been.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 14, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

How about giving Milledge a day off and have Dukes play center. Lastings' has been hitting around 100 for the past few weeks. Come on Manny. Try to win a game.

Manny would still lose even if he was managing LAA. Motivation is not in his DNA.

I had a nightmare last night. I dreamt that Bowden was retained as GM.

One last thing. I noticed that posters on here do not get nearly as upset with losing streaks.

Posted by: mjames | September 14, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Aw come on, Guys. This is the Day-Game- After-a-Night-Game-Gotta-Get-on-a-Plane-and-Play-Four-Games-Straight-Against-the-Mets-Before-We-Get-Another-Day-Off lineup. Isn't that obvious?

By the way, I see the Nats are looking for 2009 seat deposits. Sign up now, avoid the rush.

Posted by: 419E | September 14, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Work, what's that?

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 14, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

With 1 run scored this line-up has already overachieved.

Posted by: estuartj | September 14, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

With 1 run scored this line-up has already overachieved.

Posted by: estuartj | September 14, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

What a horrible lineup. I wish we would at least try to win. Bonifacio, Gonzalez, Casto, Montz, and Bernadina are nowhere close to being major league hitters. I miss Belliard and Flores and it looks like both will not be back this season.

Posted by: ladynatsfan | September 14, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The lineup may not end up mattering much.

Posted by: capybara | September 14, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

If the below line-up (which has no FAs) were to play 140 games together, how many games would they win in '09?

1. Bonifacio
2. Lannan
3. Balester
4. Zimmermann
5. Martis

Posted by: MO Nats Fan | September 14, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Small ball.

Hits by Bonifacio, Gonzalez & Montz. Who'da thought. 3-0 and a no hitter almost through 6...

Posted by: Natty Dread | September 14, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

MO Nats Fan:

85.

Posted by: hb | September 14, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

6 to 5 and now nobody out. You've gotta be kidding me.

AND DURRANT BROOKS???? Nice draft pick Cerrato. YOu both suck.

Posted by: 6th and D | September 14, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Fan-freaking-tastic. Thanks for making it a ballgame, bullpen.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 14, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Well, maybe the bullpen will knock that number down a little.

Posted by: hb | September 14, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Strike that: thanks for giving away the ballgame, bullpen.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 14, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Worst inning of baseball I've seen all year, and that IS saying something ... ugh.

Posted by: MJ | September 14, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I really HATE the Marlins.

Posted by: BSG | September 14, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Holy mother of God! I run out to the grocery store for 30 minutes and there is an all-out bloodbath.

Posted by: capybara | September 14, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

8th inning -- train wreck in slow motion.

Posted by: 422 | September 14, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Please pinch-hit for Langerhans. Dukes should be hitting right now

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 14, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

That is all. Thank you.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 14, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Wow - that was one ugly inning by the blowpen.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 14, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

knew it was too good for "gasoline alley" ayala. he gakked up three runs and three hits including a HR to give atlanta a 5-4 lead in the ninth at shea. maybe someone at nats park fedex'ed his gas can to new york. can't wait for his return tomorrow night.

Posted by: natsscribe | September 14, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I think the Nat's bullpen likes to lose.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone surprised? Is anyone motivated to attend any more games at Nats Park for a vision of the future?

Posted by: ladynatsfan | September 14, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

2. Lannan
3. Balester
4. Zimmermann
5. Martis

Posted by: MO Nats Fan | September 14, 2008 2:42 PM

**************************
I'm all-in. Right now, I have a full house. 5s full of 8s. Mo, Young, Johnson at 5M, full of Kearns and Guz at 8M. So 8M for a number 8 hitter? I'd rather dump the pair of 8s. Trade Kearns for what I can get. Trade Guz while he is at the apex of his career. Also, DFA Young, if he doesn't lose 50 lbs. Keep Johnson. Keep Mo. My 30M has shrunk to about 10M (Dmirtri won't lose 50). Now add 10M to my saved 20M and offer 12M, 12M, and 6M to three big and/or RBI bats. Leave the pitching alone. Your five are fine, but add Ozvaldo in the mix. Put AG at short, bring Smiley up.

I fold my full house. Nice hand.

Posted by: Jim B | September 14, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I'll still head out there.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 14, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I'll still go as well.

"[B]ring Smiley up"

Uh, no.

Posted by: Section 138 | September 14, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

"AND DURRANT BROOKS????"

Who?

Posted by: Section 138 | September 14, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

In for a dime, in for a dollar. I'm going to as many Mets and Padres games as possible. The Marlins series....uh, no.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 14, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

From the Shadenfreude Department:

NEW YORK (AP)—A dreadful bullpen is making it awfully difficult for the New York Mets to avoid another September meltdown.

Fill-in closer Luis Ayala gave up a go-ahead homer to pinch-hitter Greg Norton, and the Atlanta Braves rallied for five runs in the ninth inning Sunday and a 7-4 victory that trimmed New York’s tenuous NL East lead to 1 1/2 games.

Posted by: Suicide Squeeze | September 14, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse