Tonight's lineup

* A community note first: Nationals Park today hosted its picnic for season ticket holders, and about 5,000 people showed up. They were all on the field in the early afternoon for an event that ran from noon until 3 p.m. Jim Bowden hosted a Q&A. All coaches and players were out and about, signing autographs and posing for photos. If anybody from the NJ crowd was there, share any thoughts on how it went.

* Bowden after batting practice today confirmed the Syracuse news, and said, "We're very pleased that Syracuse and the Nationals came to an agreement on an affiliation, because it's very important for our club to have our players play on a first-class surface which they have there, first-class batting cages, clubhouse, a community that supports baseball, housing that is affordable for the players, and a one-hour flight to DC to get our players here quickly when we make player moves... I think it's going to be a tremendous relationship.

"We were in a situation where we were in New Orleans (before Columbus) and, look, it's a great city but for us it's difficult -- difficult to make player moves. And so certainly our preference is to get our clubs as close to DC as we possibly can."

---

Boone - 3
Harris - 7
Nieves - 2
Bernadina - 8
Lannan - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 20, 2008; 6:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Syracuse is New Nats' Class AAA Affiliate
Next: This afternoon's lineups

Comments

Alright! Dukes 4th!!!

Posted by: BF | September 20, 2008 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Down a run in the top of the 9th: L. Valbuena doubled to deep right, L. Valbuena out at third. Could Seattle's tanking it be any more evident?

Posted by: Jason | September 20, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

with natsluck, we'll finish a game behind seattle and get the no. 2 pick.

Posted by: natsscribe | September 20, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Go Nats! Fry the Friars!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 20, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Was at the picnic today and it was really nice. I'm a STH in section 131 (as per my screen name) and I really enjoyed seeing how the diamond and president seat holders live. We walked all around the diamond lounge on the main concourse, which was nice, and the presidential lounge through the walkway directly behind home plate is absolutely fantastic. Makes me wish I hit the lottery and could afford $300/seat/game.

Weather was great; the presidents and screetch were out and we got pictures with everyone. Lines were long for player autographs so we didn't bother. We got to zip out onto the field, into the dugouts, on the bases and into the bullpens which was really cool. I never realized just how hard the infield dirt is on those fields.

The sound was off most of the time, so the ongoing player interviews broadcast onto the big screens were a dud. Other than that it was fun.

Posted by: Sec131 | September 20, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@Sec131

was the experience more pleasurable without clint?

Posted by: natsscribe | September 20, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm bummed I couldn't make the picnic today. That sounded fun. Thanks for the comments 131.

But I was so excited to finally be at a game with that many extra innings. All the marathon games the Nats have had since they came here, this was the first one for me and, believe it or not, I loved it.

Well. Except the cold. I think it was 138 who said it was comfortable. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We froze our butts off!!! (Wigi, you must be ashamed of me!)

We stayed 'til the end and I saw Traveler on the platform afterwards too, so it's now confirmed that she's a die-hard. But, lucky me, I run into her all the time now.

One more comment. I'm so lucky we got Syracuse!! BF lives in Burlington Flats, only an hour and 45 minutes away from there!! I'll be going to my first AAA game in the spring, thank you very much.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 20, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I was at the picnic and was able to collect 14 player autographs on my baseball. Most of the players were gracious and engaging at the autograph stations, although two seemed determined to avoid eye contact, hiding behind their shades and looking away.

I also added Randy St. Claire's signature to a baseball I already had and which now includes autographs for the entire coaching staff.

Add terrific weather, ice cream, and good friends, and it was a really pleasant day. Credit to the Nationals for a well-run event.

Posted by: dcbatgirl | September 20, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

will somebody tell lenny harris to shut the hell up? i'm listening to the game on radio and during the last inning he's been standing near the crowd mike with hollow exhortations to the nats without bats. if they haven't learned anything by sept. 20, it's too late to save your job, lenny.

Posted by: natsscribe | September 20, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Hey all, sorry I couldn't make it to the game tonight. Am I missing anything?

Posted by: Defense | September 20, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Don't know, we couldn't make it either...

Posted by: Clutch Hitting and Competent Baserunning | September 20, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

On the bright side, Bergmann did well coming in there.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 20, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

FYI: Charlie said that they got a lot of gripes today at the picnic about the Nats no longer being on 107.7 (I wanted to go, but had another committment). He said that there will almost definitely be another affilliate next year to cover the area west of DC to make up for the loss of 107.7.

Posted by: BSG | September 20, 2008 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Extra inning night games, in SF, in August--you don't know from cold.

******************

Posted by: NatsNut | September 20, 2008 7:49 PM

Posted by: CE | September 20, 2008 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mr. Strasburg goes to Washington | September 20, 2008 9:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll second the emotion on Bergmann - that was a bright spot. Another was Will Nieves' at-bat music. You know it's a lost cause when you are bummed that a player is lifted for a pinch-hitter because you won't get to hear his music one more time.

Good news on the possibility of another radio affiliate for next year. Thanks for the info, BSG.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 20, 2008 9:56 PM | Report abuse

ahem

"Mr. Strasburg to the white courtesy phone. Steven Strasburg, to a white courtesy phone please."

Posted by: Seattle Mariners | September 20, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

One more thing - congrats to the Rays on clinching a playoff berth. Hope that they clinch the division, too.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 20, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's just hope that this season will lead to getting Strasburg. It seems like we are getting hints from Ted Lerner (Boz article) and Bowden (ESPN interview) that the Nats do not plan on any major free agent acquisitions. So the team we have now is probably close to the team we will have in April. Signing Strasburg at an inflated Boras number will probably be hard for the Lerners to handle.

Posted by: Count Demoney | September 20, 2008 10:26 PM | Report abuse

We went to the picnic, and had a great time. Ran into Mr. Lerner down on the field, and thanked him for what they've all done for us so far. I did put in my one request to him: for a big name free agent this off season, just to convince folks that in addition to the Plan, they're prepared to make some noise and spend some $$$. He actually talked with me for a while about the whole thing, rather than blow me off, which impressed me greatly. I found him to be a classy guy, who seemed to not want to be noticed, but was definitely interested in how the event was going and how people seemed to be enjoying it. It was a neat surprise and the highlight of the event for me.

Posted by: Deep Fried Screech | September 20, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

"NN, speaking as a proud holder of several Croix de Candlestick, you gotta be kiddin me.
Extra inning night games, in SF, in August--you don't know from cold."

I was there last night until the bitter end (and boy, was it bitter) and I haven't been so cold at a game since opening night when Zimmerman hit the walkoff. But on opening night I was wearing three additional layers of clothing. Last night was chilly, not cold.

Posted by: section 110, then section 111, then section 112, and you get my drift | September 20, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

Is the team from Syracuse (as opposed to "The Boys from Syracuse") going to change their name to: The Syracuse Nats????

Posted by: Catcher50 | September 20, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Oops...Syracuse Nationals. Maybe we could hire Dolph Schayes...or Danny...or, if he has a kid, whatever the next generation is.

Posted by: Catcher50 | September 20, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

NatsNut:

The defining trait of an Alaskan is that they know when to get in out of the cold...

You should have seen if you could have found an open door into one of the luxury suites...

From the "Game Experience" department... I got to the game early, bought Los Boletos Muy Cheapo, got a half-smoke, and then sat down the left field line to eat it, before wandering around a bit... the usher came up to me and said, "Is that your seat?" I told him no... I was just sitting long enough to eat my half-smoke... He asked me where I was sitting... and I pointed straight up... it turned out I was just about directly below my seat... and then he asks... "Is it just you?" I said yes, and he says... "Hey, sit here..." and he walks over and wipes a seat down... and then he says, "I'll work around you..."

In fact, all of the Nationals Park employees were incredibly friendly... I was very impressed.

Posted by: Wigi | September 20, 2008 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or have these two losses been really ugly? (That's a serious question; I'm not sure if I just didn't have my head in the game.) Men left on base, crummy fielding. Just blah.

Going to my last of the season today. Rooting for a good one. Man, I don't like the chances of our boys going 5-2, but I can hope!

Posted by: Scooter | September 21, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Comment I posted in George Solomon's Talkback feature.

George, My last two tickets in my 10 game portion of a full season ticket to the Nationals occur in this final homestand. I took my wife and another couple to the game Friday. A fairly large (almost 30K) lively crowd watched the 2 worst teams in the NL. It was entertaining, fun, and a great night out (that just so happens to count as a date with my wife)! Article after article in the Washington Post just blisters the Lerners and the Nationals as a complete failure. I just don't see that as the case. There are plenty of positives in the farm system. There are a handful of future stars on the big club. While Camden Yards is a genuine work of art, Nats Park is a beautiful venue that is so better planned than the Yards, and I would suggest that it is 10 times more comfortable. My last game is next Thursday and I'm taking my older brother and two older cousins - all Washington natives who remember all 3 iterations of the Nats. We District originals love it that we have baseball back to compliment our beloved Redskins and Terps, and Caps and Bullets. Things with the Nats are OK. The gloom and doom suggested by the Post seems to me to be part of some sort of agenda that we as fans are not priviledged to know. AND ABOUT THE RENT....My sister is employed at the park. She teaches school during the day and works at the park at night. She says the rent issue has to do with the various punch list problems that need to be fixed after the season. Here is what I know to be true. 1) Every rain, there is a massive waterfall inside of the home clubhouse. 2) Every rain, sewage backs up into the visiting clubhouse showers and toilets. 3) There are seveal broken commodes throughout the stadium. 4) Several sinks back up when the river rises with rain run-off. So, if you were renting a home, would you not withold your rent until this was fixed? That's why you do not see Fenty or the City Counsel hanging the Lerners in public and in the press about the unpaid rent. I've heard that Fenty took a tour of the problems with Stan Kasten and said that these issues were unacceptable and that they would be addressed as soon as the season ended. I only wish your crew at the Post would report things accurately.

Posted by: 6th and D | September 21, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse

Speaking about the cold on Friday, I swear the upper decks are about 10 degrees colder than the lower bowl. That breeze (read: arctic wind) was awful. Around the 12th inning we moved to the lower bowl and while we weren't toasty by any stretch, it was definitely less cold.

Chico, reading your gamer you stated the Nats made two errors, but then go on to describe four. I had to re-check the box score to see which it was.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 21, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

"I'm excited," Simone said. "We went from the capital of Canada to the capital of the United States."

Ummm...Chico, maybe you can let this guy in on the secret that Toronto is not the Canadian capital?

Posted by: Coverage is lacking | September 21, 2008 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Scooter: The last two games have been ugly, embarrassing and just not acceptable. Acta should be trying to win, yet day after day we have to watch Bernadina, Bonifacio, and Casto. Flash - they are not close to major league hitters. Last year ended with optimism; this one is ending with disgust. Ugh.

Posted by: frustrated in 310 | September 21, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

6th and D, great comments!

I was at the picnic. Great Weather for a great day!

I took in the dugouts and went around the bases and then around the warning track taking pictures along the way! That huge lit sign in the outfield is made of little lights. The turf doesn't feel all that spongy at all though. I used to go to events at Camden and there was spongy-ness to the turf. Hmm.

Autographs. Yes there were long lines but they went fast! That's because they kept the names a secret until you got there. I like that policy because then you get who you get. You don't get exhorbitantly long lines for one player. You can peek and see who's signing at the time but there's no guarantee you'll get that person. I got Redding, Hernandez, Orr, Nieves, T. Tolman, Guzman, Martis, and ran into Stan Kasten! Time ran out to get Dimitri and Boone :<( .

Got to go into the Diamond Club restaurant too. One of the employees took a picture of 1924 World Series scoreboard for me. One of Frank Howard's White seats is in there. A yellow seat from one of Ryan Z's home run and a seat from Griffith.

I like the day. I think the day was well managed BECAUSE only season ticket holders could get in. There has to be some advantage to it. Otherwise the lines would have been even longer for the autographs.

Posted by: CALSGR8 | September 21, 2008 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Allow me to dissent on the picnic. I thought it was pretty poorly organized.

First, the line to get on the field was ridiculously long, and the reason was because they forced everyone to go through the entire rotation. For example, even if you were a limping old man, or a young couple with a baby, you had to "run" the bases before you could see the bullpen, etc. It would have been better if the people who wanted to visit the dugout could do so without having to do everything else. It was the longest line in the whole stadium.

Second, the autograph/photograph system was absurd. They set up five tables at which two players would sit and sign autographs for 30 minutes. This took place for two hours. They didn't tell you which two players were coming, there was no method to the rotation, after 30 minutes they would just get up, leaving those in line to be stuck with whoever showed up next, and not every player signed autographs. In fact, with the exception of Dukes, Flores, Guzman and the middle infield menagerie, none of the "stars" signed autographs. The "face of the franchise"? One half hour stint at the photo station, where you couldn't get autographs (unless you were sly, like me). Instead, at least two of the 30-minute autograph slots were taken by the announcers and the coaching staff (I got a Tolman, yay! /sarcasm).

Would it be so hard to set up tables with every player signing for an hour or so? It works for the Capitals.

Finally, Austin Kearns is a d*ck. I heard from some Nats employees that he didn't want to sign autographs at all, and when a table was empty for 15-20 minutes (that's good planning!) they basically dragged him to it to reluctantly sign by himself, where he didn't look at people and occasionally mumbled.

On a positive note: the weather was beautiful. The concessions were open and lines were short. Manny Acta is hilarious. Mike Hinckley, after his scheduled autograph session, just walked around the entire concourse stopping to chat and sign autographs with whoever happened to stop him. That, my friends, is a class act, and what baseball is supposed to be about.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | September 21, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

My husband & I (40-game STHs) weren't interested in going to the picnic because the previous one -- in 2006 -- was such a disappointment for us (attend the game, leave the stadium & stand outside for an hour before coming back in, hundreds of people standing in a single line for food, thousands of people sitting on the outfield grass with no room to walk, etc.) Nice promotional items given away that day, though.

I really like the idea of the picnic at the park & hope they continue it, but like many things with a new team & new park I think it will be a couple of years before they are able to find out what works best -- whether it's picnic details or other issues.

My one fervent hope for future seasons, other than an improved record: trade Clint or AT LEAST have him tone down the enthusiasm by about half. I'm not saying that we need Ben Stein's monotone (wouldn't that be a hoot, though?!) but we don't need a Billy Mays high-intensity sales pitch (Oxyclean & other commercials) either.

Posted by: M. Carroll, Springfield | September 21, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

We went to the picnic today and thought it was very well organized. My one complaint would be that I stood in line to get Garrett Mock's autograph and was about 5th next in line we they moved to another station, we stayed in line for about 5 minutes for the next 2 players (the Nats people couldn't tell us who) and imagine my dismay when up walks Debbi Taylor and Dave Jaegler - why would I want their autographs - especially Debbi Taylor!! Needless to say I quickly got out of line. The program clearly stated Nationals players - not commentators! Otherwise the picnic was great. We really enjoyed the dugout, walking the bases and throwing a pitch in the bullpen. I was disappointed we didn't get Zimmerman or Milledge's autograph. The lines moved quickly and the food was at the ready.

Posted by: cadeck | September 22, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I like it when you don't know who's autograph you're going to get. It avoids huge lines for one player and nearly none for others. If you had 1 table for all the players for an hour, the line would be horrendous, wouldn't it? It would be much much worse.

Believe me. I've been to Memoribilia showas and Orioles fanfest in the past when you knew who was signing when. You had people standing line not for who was currently signing but for who was up 2-3 hours from then. They tried handing out coupons (whoever didn't get a coupon was taking their chances on NOT getting an autograph from that player.) Then people would leave the line with coupons in hand and jump in front of those who had the patience to wait because they had a coupon! No matter how you slice it, when the people's autograph time is up, its up! Yes it can be disappointing but there's no avoiding it. Especially in an open enviroment.

You didn't have to go around the bases to go to the dugouts. I went in the dugouts first and then around the bases and then around the warning track. You didn't have to run the bases. In fact I was one of the people you complain about taking pictures! Why not? Of course I went to those places 1st before there was such a lonnnng line. I missed some autos but events like this are about choices!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | September 22, 2008 11:11 PM | Report abuse

PICNIC IN THE PARK:
The event ran from 12-3 p.m. We showed up around 2:00, got our red plastic license plate holder giveaways (sure to turn pink by next summer), got the map/schedule, split a free hotdog, chips, and Coke, and decided to go check out the dugouts and bullpen. We saw Joel Hanrahan walking on the concourse with a staffer, and he was very generous about stopping to sign autographs as people approached him, so that's the only one we got. As someone else noted, there was only one line for all of the "on field" activities, which meant a bit of a wait, but not too bad. Fans were not allowed on the grass - it was roped off. So we went to the Nats dugout first - pretty cool to see the spike-gouged wood and the rubber-mat flooring, and got some good pictures there. Then we traipsed around the bases, then around the warning track (of course had to pretend to catch a ball while crashing into the padding.) The out-of-town scoreboard has black chain-link fence about 4-6 inches in front of the LEDs, so that's how players can crash into it when catching a ball and not damage the display. (Also just amazing how clear it is to read from afar when up close there are only red, green, and blue LEDs not even that close together - an inch or more between the trios, at least half an inch between the colors). We missed getting into the one open bullpen by about one minute, as it closed at 2:45. On the way out, we got extra license-plate holders. Overall, I was impressed by the amount of "white-collar" staff who were there to direct the activities. There seemed to be something for everyone - Clint was there, unfortunately, raffling some swag, but he wasn't obtrusive. We wished we could have gotten our STH promotional item on Saturday (the Nats were giving away all the left-over promo items from the year, one to each STH), but we managed to snag decent items at Sunday's game.

Posted by: 20-Game Plan | September 24, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse