Tonight's lineups

[UPDATE, 7:15 p.m.]

The blog platform isn't allowing new entries right now, so I'll just re-top this one with some new notes...

* Jesus Flores was hobbling around in the clubhouse around today, wearing a heavy black boot on his left foot, but he took that as a good sign. The injury, he said this afternoon, was nowhere near as serious as he first thought. Just after absorbing the collision of Chase Utley last night, as Flores writhed in pain, he thought he had either broken a bone or torn a ligament.

"All his weight went into my leg," Flores said.

Today, just before 4 p.m., Flores went into the Nats' team video room and watched a replay of the Utley play for the first time. And what did he think? Was it dirty? Flores said no; it simply caught him off-guard. "I wasn't prepared to be ready to make a collision," Flores said. "I was thinking he would go around me, but he didn't."

* Luke Montz has had a crazy last few days. Monday night, with the Columbus season over, he got in a car with his old man and drove 17 hours back home to Lafayette, La. Thirty minutes after arriving home, Montz got the call that he was coming to the big leagues. He was just on his way out to grab some chicken at Popeyes. "Popeyes," Montz said today, "never happened." He flew up to DC today, leaving at 6 a.m.

* The Nats have announced season ticket prices for 2009. No increases, some reductions. I'll have more on this later tonight. Gotta write a story first.

* One more note: Collin Balester, because of a "mild left glut strain," will not start Friday night's game against Atlanta. Balester's next start will be pushed back to September 9, against the Mets. As part of the rotation re-shuffling, Shairon Martis, a September call-up, will make the start for Washington on Thursday. Jason Bergmann, who was originally supposed to start on Thursday, will instead start Friday.

---

I'll have plenty more as the game gets under way here, but I have to crank out a few stories before the first pitch. Just the lineups for now.

Philadelphia

Dukes - 9
Casto - 3
Nieves - 2
Bernadina - 7
Perez - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 3, 2008; 6:02 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats: Flores expected back this year
Next: Off to Atlanta

Comments

Let's go out and get that #1 pick!

Posted by: Kaboom | September 3, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

hey chico, can i ask a small favor?

would it be possible that you could post at the end of the last topic when you post a new one? even just saying "new post" would be helpful.

as i'm guessing others do here, i refresh with the last post at the bottom of my page, so i can't see if there's a new post unless i scroll to the top. and i usually don't notice until someone else mentions it (or if i check after i notice nobody's posted in a while). plus i've noticed that sometimes new posts don't show up in the list at the top right away.

Posted by: 231 | September 3, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Thats what I'm for!

Posted by: RSS | September 3, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Go Nats! Go P-Nats!

Also, I can't speak for 231 but I don't know from RSS.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 3, 2008 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Got new posted. Just wanted to say thanks guys. I appreciate it.

pablo, I've not tried it but there's a link on the P-Nats site that says you can listen to the game live at no charge (though you have to register):

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 3, 2008 5:46 PM

Pablo-

You can hear it through the computer at milb.com, usually. Good idea. Better than the convention.

Posted by: Positively Half St. | September 3, 2008 5:47 PM

P-Nats are only on the internet.
Goto www.milb.com
It's free.

Posted by: Tom | September 3, 2008 5:50 PM

Posted by: Pablo | September 3, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, would prefer not to screw with the good lineup for this game. Casto and Bernadina, as well as Emilio back to leadoff?
I think I've seen this episode...

Posted by: cat daddy | September 3, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see the hit by pitch, but I'm guessing it couldn't be anything less than payback considering it was on the first pitch. Any warnings given out?

Posted by: Jason | September 3, 2008 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Isn't there a rule that the Umps follow that basically states you can keep the batter in the box if he makes no move to avoid the pitch and is hit by it? I've definitely seen it before when someone sticks an arm out, and Utley may have pivoted a little, but to me he didn't make any real effort to avoid it.

Posted by: WN | September 3, 2008 7:23 PM | Report abuse

And that would be why you shake off the night before. Especially when your going to have to pitch the Ryan Howard with a man on base.

Posted by: Jason | September 3, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

i'm happy that someone who has to stand on a box to give the other infielders a target at first base isn't in tonight's lineup.

Posted by: natsscribe | September 3, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

The angel on my shoulder tells me I wish he hadn't done it, but the devil's grinning real big.

I'd rather win.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 3, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

No warnings. 90 MPH on the hip. Would have liked to have seen it up a little closer to Utley's earhole, but I guess that'll have to do. Good for Odalis.

Posted by: joebleux | September 3, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Utley's lucky that he wasn't Howard going in there with a purpose. Because Flores would be dead. Or Burrell. He could have put him to sleep in that situation, and he'd be feeling around like Church thesedays.

Bonifacio catches a pitch up in his kitchen and drives it. Needs to stay left-handed. Got absolutely no chance from the other side.

Posted by: Brue | September 3, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

"mild left glut strain,"

I can't believe nobody has prayed for his behind yet. What's wrong with ya'll?

Posted by: SF Fan | September 3, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

What's the MLB record for glut strains?

Posted by: Anon | September 3, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Besides getting hit by pitches and hitting run scoring triples, Utley disconnects his door bell and turns off all the lights on Halloween. He hates trick or treaters.

He is a great player. I really dislike him.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | September 3, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Willie Harris can beat up Utley blindfolded

Posted by: SF Fan | September 3, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

SF Fan writes:

"Willie Harris can beat up Utley blindfolded"

Does that mean Harris is blindfolded, or Utley?

Posted by: Wigi | September 3, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha, way to go Odalis. Yeah, yeah, I'll keep this between me and you, Manny would never approve of it. Hehehe.

Utley is a phiend. One year he tried to steal Christmas.

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 3, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

c'mon dukes!

Posted by: SF Fan | September 3, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Not bad, bases loaded, we get 2 runs out of it...

Posted by: SF Fan | September 3, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Estrada drops his arm down and the ball sails. That's either a lack of confidence, or a lack of arm strength. You always drop down when you want more control, you shorten your windup in order to be precise. The higher the release point, the more acute the angle for the hitter.

Posted by: Brue | September 3, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I mean Harris being blindfolded. Utley is a cowardly wimp...

Posted by: SF Fan | September 3, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

So OPie plunks Utley in the first (perfect, and there was indeed a warning), but then he gives up a moonshot to Howard. I'll take it, and then when we scrap for two runs to tie it in the bottom half, well, that's just awesome.

Then Blastings nails Utley in the shins breaking up a DP and putting the Nats ahead in the process, well, that's why we watch the games.

Another dinger by Howard is unfortunate but doesn't take away from the great theater thus far.

Let's pull this one out fellas!

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 3, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Blastings just called Zim "the Reverend." Carpy just called Blastings "the altar boy."

Can another visit by the Pope be far off?

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 3, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Zim!

Posted by: SF Fan | September 3, 2008 9:54 PM | Report abuse

It's "mild left GLUTE strain."

Posted by: -3 spelling | September 3, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Winning run at second.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 3, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

And, ladies and gentlemen, winning baseball!

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 3, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

YEAH!!!!

CASTO!

ROGEARVIN!!!

BELLIARD!!!!

IT'S A MURDERERS ROW!!!!!

SCREW THOSE WIFE BEATING JERKS!!!!

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 3, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Sorry the devil on my shoulder has taken over.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 3, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Taken over what? Your caps lock key?

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | September 3, 2008 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm nowhere near Steven's shoulder. I contract out for that kind of thing.

Posted by: Mr. Applegate | September 3, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

These Nats speed burners drive opposing pitchers nuts. Rogerevan's steal of 3rd, and now they're loaded up for The Player of The Week.

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Yep.

Posted by: Bob L. Head | September 3, 2008 10:20 PM | Report abuse

!!!!!!!!!NATIONALS!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | September 3, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

"Cristian is an All Star!" quote for El Tigres de Licey website. Fun at the Navy Yard!

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

That's a quote from the Licey website, which also featured Belliard and Manny, heroes of The Dominican! Heroes of D.C.!

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Lastings is one relieved fly-ball-dropping-Utley-popping center fielder.

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Re-sign Zimmy now. We have about one more day for a potentially discounted contract. Lock him up long term right now.

Posted by: Steven on Capitol Hill | September 3, 2008 10:25 PM | Report abuse

What a great half inning, Go Nats Nats NATS!!!
Beat them sillies!

Also on a side note, they used the replay for the first time at the Rays/Yanks game (on ESPN), and appeared to botch a call which scored a 2-run HR to (who else?) Arod.

Posted by: nats del negro | September 3, 2008 10:30 PM | Report abuse

9-6 man on 3rd, one out - this is intense. NDN- did replay get it right or wrong?

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:33 PM | Report abuse

And very much agreed SoCH, we absolutely, positively, Nationalistically have to lock Zim, no question.

Cheers, and happy baseball!

Posted by: nats del negro | September 3, 2008 10:35 PM | Report abuse

woohoo! 3 series wins in a row!

Posted by: SF Fan | September 3, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

One more time, quoting dk natsfan after the 5-3 win over the Mets in May: "OMG, I am still shaking!"

Let's win 23!

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Flynnie, actually kinda hard to tell, due to the hook of the ball as it rounded the LF foul pole, but from what I could tell, it looked like they got it wrong. It'll be on BT in a few minutes (unless the Rays continue this bottom of the 9th comeback possibility) (and I'd assume SC later) so you can check it out for yourself...

Wheeeeew, we got the win!
Bang Zoom!
(Channeling Al Pacino here)
HOO-AHHH!!!

Posted by: nats del negro | September 3, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

PNats playoffs vs. Wilmington - 1-1 in the bottom of the 14th

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | September 3, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

What a great game! I think Boni had one of his best games at the plate. He was patient and drew two walks. Guzman and Zimmerman with clutch hits and the pitching did just enough to keep them in the game. This was one of the funnest games I've seen this year.

Posted by: Pablo | September 3, 2008 10:45 PM | Report abuse

The Phillies came to D.C. 1 out of 1st after beating the Cubs 5-3. They leave D.C. 3 games out with the Mets crushing the Brewers.

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Nice.

I may be a minority of one but I don't think that Perez's pitch into the waist of Utley was a payback pitch. Nobody got excited on the Phillies or the Nats. It seemed like Mr. Utley was saying "thanks for the free base" and later after coasting in on Howard's blast "thanks for the free run". A payback pitch would surely be aimed about two feet higher for it too send the appropriate message.

It is just so enjoyable to beat the Phillies. We even get a chance to do it again on their home field.

Posted by: Dale | September 3, 2008 10:53 PM | Report abuse

506 must be delirious with glee.

Posted by: flynnie | September 3, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Wooooooo! Yay, NATS!! Hope that video of Milledge's takeout of Utley turns up on the site eventually (I was Charlie and Daveing it).

SoCH - I feel the same way about the wife-beaters.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 3, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

PNats win in 15! Wild Pitch scores Boomer from 3rd!

Its party time in Woodbridge!

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | September 3, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Yay P-Nats! Won 2-1 in the bottom of the 15th...

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 3, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

You beat me to it, LDO!

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 3, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

i think few fans would disagree with the idea of locking up zimmerman long-term.

the only problem is convincing zimmerman not to go year-to-year for now.

Posted by: 231 | September 3, 2008 11:10 PM | Report abuse

This is the way I have dreamed about this team playing. If they keep this up and make some noise in the off season, I predict a fever type mania won't be far behind. Meet me in Viera next spring, it's gonna be crowded down there.

Posted by: SC Nats Fan | September 3, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

I hope Aaron Crow is able to catch the highlights of tonight's game.

Posted by: Suicide Squeeze | September 3, 2008 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I have a terrible lament! I couldn't watch the whole thing straight through, because I was watching the convention. Yes, I watch both conventions. More than my Red-headed Cubs Fan Girlfriend's hair is red. I know, I sound sweet, but it's really just a smoke screen, since I would watch it anyway.

If you will allow me a moment, I broke the no politics rule last week and I will once more tonight to rave about how ecstatic I am that after 219 years of history (all the good ones with baseball), including well over 250 candidates for Pres and VP there was precisely 1 minority candidate of a major party. In a few minutes tonight there will be 2 out of the 4 in this year alone. It's absolutely spectacular, because we're seeing America living up to the "promissory note to which every American was to fall heir" established in the Declaration... and this time "men" means "humans". Congrats Gov. Palin, it'll be good to tell grandkids about this year and they can laugh at how backwards we are that this was novel.

Ahem.

EAT IT UTLEY!!!! AND WITHOUT CHEEZ-WIZ WHICH SUCKS ON STEAKS!!!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 3, 2008 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, that *is* the way to play baseball, SC Nats Fan. And couldn't happen to a better team than the wifebeaters...

Pending the outcome of tonight's late game, the Nats have moved past SD by .002 and trail Seattle by .002 in the pick a Boras client draft.
And only 6 back of the Braves.

I'll admit that despite my apprehension, the subs, except Marco, did okay tonight, and Zim, Belliard and Guzman saved the day . But natsscribe, don't ever dis Mr. Belliard again, you damn weasel... >}:-)

Posted by: cat daddy | September 3, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I hope Aaron Crow is able to catch the highlights of tonight's game.

Posted by: Suicide Squeeze

More that I hope he catches tomorrow night's major league debut of Shairon Martis.

Posted by: cat daddy | September 4, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

"including well over 250 candidates for Pres and VP there was precisely 1 minority candidate of a major party. In a few minutes tonight there will be 2 out of the 4 in this year alone."

Last time I looked, women were not in the minority in these United States. So that would be three of four minority candidates this year, with Obama being a two-fer.

Posted by: this pastime of nationals | September 4, 2008 12:11 AM | Report abuse

=P I knew there'd be at least one.

A beginning of the discussion can be found at the link below, but there's clearly whole studies related to working with this point. This ain't the place to talk about it with the depth it deserves, though! If you're really interested, though, I am very interested in the topic and wouldn't mind talking elsewhere. I won't try to argue the nomenclature is the best, only use it because it's widely understood.

On to Atlanta, woooooh!

Posted by: Section 506 (Before moving) | September 4, 2008 12:23 AM | Report abuse

What a great game tonight - it's been fun going to the games on this homestand and I hope we can keep it up for the final few weeks of the season. FYI, the ump did warn both benches after Utley got plunked. And I loved Milledge's take-out of Utley to break up the double play. It was a clean play, and the guys on "Baseball Tonight" even gave it credit and called it a nice play.

I know our radio and TV ratings haven't been the greatest for us (and I love listening to Charlie and Dave joke about the subject), but ESPN.com reported that only 600 fans were in attendance for Florida's game against Atlanta earlier today. Their attendance has consistently been horrible and I can't imagine that their radio/TV ratings are better than ours. I also wonder how they're able to justify the new stadium they're supposedely getting. I'm really glad that we have such a great fan base here in DC. With the way we've been playing, the best is yet to come...

Bring on the Braves - again!

Posted by: BSG | September 4, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

In his gamer on last night's Nationals' win Chico Harlan described Lastings Milledge's slide into Chase Utley thusly:

"Milledge flipped Utley like a pancake".

As someone who sometimes gets paid for writing stuff, I wish to put my admiring applause for that marvelous six-word description on the record.

Posted by: Sec 222 Upper Half | September 4, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

First, a quick Public Service Announcement: if you're having trouble getting to night games because you can't get permission to miss bedtime, try having a buddy visit from Mexico. The novelty is disarming.

Tonight's was a very good ballgame. Even better, this time the right team won! Fun fact: before the game, my buddy (who attended his first Nats game on this trip) had been asking me how the DC fans were, in terms of knowledge and passion. When Milledge took out Utley at second and got a standing O from some in our section, he had the answer to his question. Well done, Nats fans. Well done, Nats.

Posted by: Scooter | September 4, 2008 1:36 AM | Report abuse

Just wondering if the Phillies have bitten off more than they can chew. The Phillies really do not need another rivalry, especially with a last place team. They already have a crazy one with the Mets. Note to Phillies players: don't go around poking rattlesnakes, even baby ones.

Posted by: Dale | September 4, 2008 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Scooter, good to "see" you! Good on you for taking your buddy to his first Nats game. That's how I got my Chicago sister-fan started...

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 4, 2008 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Confidential to Mr. Manuel, that wasn't lipstick or makeup or rouge that you saw on Milledge or the rest of our guys tonight but rather face paint a la Braveheart. And, no, there wasn't a full moon last night. Why do you ask?

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 4, 2008 6:30 AM | Report abuse

Hi, 1a. Nice to be seen. Been away for a bit, so I have no idea what y'all have been talking about. Soon I'll start plowing through what I missed.

Anyway, my Mexico friend is a die-hard baseball fan, and we grew up together in DC. So he's been following the Nats long-distance, but finally got to see "his" team in person on this visit home. What I'm saying is, I can't really claim credit for any conversion here.

(I know there's a new post and all, but something tells me you're going to check back.)

Posted by: Scooter | September 4, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

As you might imagine, the NJ climate morphed somewhat from the losing steak to the winning streak.

Ah, I understand now about your friend. Good that he got to see the Nats in person, and with a curly W, no less.

(p.s. You caught me looking. :D)

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 4, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I meant losing "streak," of course. :D

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 4, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Lady, who are you talking to?

Posted by: Scooter | September 4, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

I meant "whom," of course.

Posted by: Scooter | September 4, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse