Tonight's lineups

First of all, let me give my profound apologies for missing the chat. Something work-related came up at the last minute, and I couldn't reshuffle the commitment. I'll call up the Post tech folks tomorrow a.m. and we'll figure out a way to reschedule the chat. Again, sorry to those who were looking for a little distraction (or even information) during the workday. Can't say it enough.

Second, we've got a little flu big circulating through the Nats clubhouse. Cristian Guzman is still out of the lineup tonight. And now, Ryan Zimmerman is out too. "Zimmerman is in real bad shape," said Manny Acta, who himself was feeling under the weather.

Here are tonight's lineups

Casto - 3
Orr - 5
Nieves - 2
Bernadina - 7
Redding - 1

By Chico Harlan  |  September 24, 2008; 6:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Minor League Report
Next: Worth A Return?

Comments

Get better team. Drink your fluids and get some rest.

Posted by: Patty | September 24, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

They can get well during tomorrow's rainout.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

The onset of the dreaded Strasburg flu. This time tomorrow Meathook will be in an iron lung and Kearns will have been dispatched to the Amazon to find an herbal cure.

Posted by: NTPNate | September 24, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

I think this our big chance to tie up the Strasburg sweepstakes, Felix Hernandez takes the mound for SEA so this is the best chance we have left this season to "Catch" the Mariners.

Posted by: estuartj | September 24, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

NTPNate - that made me laugh out loud.

Posted by: Patty | September 24, 2008 7:18 PM | Report abuse

What's going on with Redding? Is he trying to pitch through the Strasburg flu?

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 24, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

No, Redding is just continuing to regress to the mean - He's been a #3-4 SP, sadly postured as a #1-2 for most of the season by the Nats.

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

@estuartj: IMO, the Mariners have already mailed in the remainder of the season. If they go 1-4 against the Angels & the A's, I'll be suprised. The Nats will be no better than #2 (but no worse than #3) in draft order for 2009.

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh stop it, he just had a bad first inning. Lots of our guys have bad first innings. And second, and third...

Posted by: SF Fan | September 24, 2008 7:47 PM | Report abuse

... but in the 5th or 6th inning, Manny can (and will) open the floodgates from the bullpen, unleashing a torrent of good to inept pitchers upon the likes of the Fish.

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Please, can we just borrow the old 'Amateur Hour' hook & be done with this?

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Manny (I think); Estrada hasn't been spectactular to date.

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Repro

Redding: Hard Hit or Hard Luck

Do you re-sign him

Posted by: Brue | September 24, 2008 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Brue: Good question - He didn't exactly post great numbers down the stretch in an Arbitration year, did he?

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Woof. On the bright side, we might be able to catch up with Seattle tonight.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 24, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I might not mind having him back as a mid-range (#3-4) SP for say $2.7M, and I'd take him over Odalis Perez (who is getting up in years & is somewhat fragile).

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

can we sign him as a hitting coach?

Posted by: i hate walks | September 24, 2008 8:15 PM | Report abuse

My understanding is that if the Nats and Mariners are tied, we get the top pick due to Seattle's better record last season. This is an "L" and Fernandez picks tonight, so go Mariners!

Posted by: joNAThan | September 24, 2008 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Don't even concern yourself with Strasburg - 1) Boras will ask for a completely off-scale amount of bonus $ (if he stays healthy), and 2) the Lerner family will never agree to it if 1) remains true. The 2009 Amateur draft is a back-pocket dream at this point; start focusing on the short-term (MiLB trade assets / MLB trade acquisitions and FA signing possibilities / realities). In other words, get ready to fire up the Hot-Stove League.

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 8:26 PM | Report abuse

@ihw: Good one! You could consider it, but he'd probably be a little pricey.

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Interesting choice in Bergmann from the BP. Does that mean his overall stock has sunk even lower than Speigner & Colome?

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for all the negativity tonight (I'd like to think I'm usually upbeat), but I'm just beaten down by this team getting hammered by the press & neglected / ignored by the local media. The teams' current radio & TV agreements SUCK! The Times seems to have "gone south" on the Lerners, while CHarlan (& the WaPo) claims another lambast may be coming? Is the orginazation really this dysfunctional from the top down? Somebody, show me a light.

Posted by: BIM | September 24, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

The light at the end of the tunnel is merely the headlights of the oncoming train.

Posted by: SF Fan | September 24, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Well, on the plus side, maybe this start will convince the team Redding sucks. Finally.

Posted by: John Dugan | September 24, 2008 9:22 PM | Report abuse

As we ride out, I'd like to make a little mark here about some of the things that I'll probably remember about this summer a decade from now:

"And it's a long FLY BALL AND..." [MUTE]

"Please, doc, call me fridge."

"real tough, Pete, gimmie something challenging like whistling while I'm eatin crackers."

"...igneous rock!"

Posted by: I hate walks | September 24, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Other random memories:

- any number of catches by Willie Harris, plus his grand slam

- Guuzz!! hits for the cycle

- Belli's walkoff HR vs. the O's

and then, there's always this:

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 24, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Thanks John, for writing about the Nationals just for us.

I appreciate you deciphering the Tim Redding is not Greg Maddux code based on Redding's 2008 WHIP. Insightful. I am sorely disappointed your article was not accompanied by a colorful pie chart.

Somebody, please inform the WP there's a new baseball columnist in town.

I can't wait for the Aaron Boone is not Albert Pujols followup article.

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | September 24, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Bull Ladson weighs in:

Kasten committed to see job through
09/24/2008 7:58 PM ET
By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

WASHINGTON -- Nationals team president Stan Kasten denied reports on Wednesday that he is unhappy and wants to leave the organization.

Reports from the Washington Times and other media outlets indicated that the Lerner group was not listening to Kasten's advice on improving the franchise, but Kasten said he plans to stick with the Nationals and see them become championship contenders.

"I have no plans to leave at all," Kasten said. "I came here committed to making this a championship franchise. I continue to be optimistic that we are going to get it all done here.

"We have had bumps and bruises. We've had some hurdles and some challenges. But we have accomplished a great deal in the two years. My plan is to stay here."

Kasten also said he gets along with the Lerner group. Kasten acknowledged debate on certain issues, but would not discuss those with the media.

"I think there have been wild exaggerations, but overall, we continue to be on the right track," Kasten said. "I absolutely get along with the Lerners. We discuss everything vigorously, debate it and work through things. My relationship with every member of the family has been outstanding."

Kasten joined the Nationals in 2006 as team president and a founding partner.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 24, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

What happens if they can't play the game on Thursday? Will they make it up?

Posted by: Nats Fan | September 24, 2008 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Luis GasFire Ayala just blew up for the METS

Posted by: junkbucket | September 24, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

As bad as things are right now, you've got to love Charlie and Dave. The one positive from Jesus Flores being out is Charlie, Dave and the gang dancing to Wil Nieves' intro music. It's hilarious listening to them, and I got a good view of the booth from the Gallery level tonight. Great stuff! I'm glad they're still as enthusiastic as they were on Opening Night and I hope both of them stick around, hopefully with some better frequencies next season.

Oh, and Roger Bernadina's diving catch was the #1 play on SportsCenter tonight. Go Roger!

Posted by: BSG | September 25, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I concur on the hilarity of Charlie, Dave, and Wil Nieves' batting music. Good for a smile!

Posted by: dcbatgirl | September 25, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

An FYI to all:
At the end of the series I’m currently running over at DCSportsPlus.Blogspot.COm (sometime this Friday), I’ll post my prediction for the opening day 25 man roster, including offsesaon acquisitions, callups, etc. I’d like for all other bloggers, commenters, readers and fans of the Natmosphere (and anyone else, for that matter) to do that as well. I’ll tabulate everything and post it up and we’ll give bragging rights to the winner. Feel free to have any Nats fan you know post there (or email me) their predictions-the more the merrier! Chico, you're invited too!

Posted by: Hoagie | September 25, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

A fitting end to the Nats' home season. And Fan Appreciation Day? A washout.

Posted by: Fisch Fry | September 25, 2008 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Seattle blew a 5-2 lead, so there's no silver lining to tonight's loss. Sigh.

Posted by: Strasburg Express | September 25, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Chico, please find out what the team's going to do if (when?) tonight is rained out. I'm already bummed about the season, ending it on a wasted $58 ticket is going to make me grouchy.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 25, 2008 5:59 AM | Report abuse

I also love Wil's batting music, and Charlie and Dave's antics (see youtube link above).

Re. the weather, I would not think that they would make up the game, as neither team is in contention at this point. I'd check with the team about a refund in the event of a rainout.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 25, 2008 6:44 AM | Report abuse

I'm up.

Posted by: new post | September 25, 2008 7:56 AM | Report abuse

About those O's fans being so into the game until the end.

Post's 9/24 gamer

The performance provoked a torrent of boos from the remnants of an announced crowd of 15,215, frustrated by a team limping to one of the worst Septembers in franchise history.

Post's 9/25 gamer

Tampa Bay closed it out in the eighth when Orioles reliever Randor Bierd walked a pair of inherited runners with the bases loaded before yielding a two-run double to Dioner Navarro. By then, the ballpark was populated by mostly Rays fans, who were hoping to celebrate a division championship. (13,632 announced with tix available for $1)

Posted by: Attn: Marc Fisher | September 25, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse