Who's on first?

Trivia game...

This year, the Nats have started six players at first base. Who are they? (Answer below.)

There's some timeliness to this question, actually. One first baseman (Ronnie Belliard) was injured yesterday. Another (Dmitri Young) is returning Tuesday. Another (Kory Casto) is starting today and batting fourth... which he did sometimes in, um, Columbus.

Oops, I just have given away three of 'em.

Anyway, Belliard might not be out for the season after all; at least it's not guaranteed yet. An MRI today confirmed Belliard's right groin injury, but the Nats pulled back a bit from the death knell they issued on Belliard's season. Turns out, they're at least giving him a chance to return.

"It's not an easy injury to deal with, obviously," Manager Manny Acta said. "We won't put a timetable on it. But most likely, give him two weeks, and if he doesn't make any progress, he'll be done."

Also important to note: When Young comes back, it won't be as a full-time starter, even with Belliard's injury.

Here's what Acta said:

"We're happy to have him back. He hasn't played in a long time, and if we throw him out there every single day and try to push him, we might even hurt him worse. So the playing time of Dmitri Young is not an issue here."

---

Trivia answer:

Dmitri Young - 37 starts
Nick Johnson - 36 starts
Aaron Boone - 25 starts
Ronnie Belliard - 21 starts
Paul Lo Duca - 14 starts
Kory Casto - 11 starts

By Chico Harlan  |  September 5, 2008; 7:38 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A best-case scenario for Hill
Next: After a tough outing

Comments

That list sort of indicates that first base is still an unanswered question for the Nationals, doesn't it?

Posted by: Sec 222 Upper Half | September 5, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Nice RBI triple by Bernadina. Too bad that after tying the game, Bergmann's totally tanking this inning...

Posted by: BSG | September 5, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

New posted...

Worst. Lineup. Ever.
Slap-happy, no power (other than Zim, who didn't have any power until the last couple of weeks), mostly low OBPs all around and the pitcher is probably the worst hitting pitcher in the NL. I don't think it's that dramatic to say that this may be one of the worst lineups ever for this team.

Posted by: This is how you get the #1 pick | September 5, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I don't get this lineup at all. Horrible. I think most high school teams would laugh at it.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

And Manny has a short leash on Bergmann tonight. With the lineup we have up, it's already probably way too late.

Posted by: BSG | September 5, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

WTF? I can see losing, but walking in back-to-back runs? Unacceptable in my book.

Posted by: BSG | September 5, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Sh*t. Good night all...

Posted by: BSG | September 5, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

heh, heh. And you were worried about the lineup.

Posted by: NatsNut | September 5, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

After watching this pitching staff, my price just went up!

Posted by: Stephen Strasburg | September 5, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes, I worry about Bergmann's mental toughness.It seems that situations that call for him to dig deeper and battle back are when he crumbles like cheap porcelain. Hope he realizes he's pitching as much for next year as this year. maybe he and Hill will find themselves JP'ed.

Posted by: leetee1955 | September 5, 2008 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Just want to let all of you know that I have my eye on 1B/OF Joey Votto of the Reds. They just gave this Cuban college kid Yonder Alonso 2 million to sign. He'll be their 3 in a few years. Votto can go OF for them, of course, but he's not signed for 2009 yet. Runner up ROY to Soto? I'm offering Belliard, Costo, Guzman, any two pitchers from a list of eight, and cash for him. We are also offering them Bergman for free, since he's such an irritating dud, and then we'll be able to bat against him. We'll bring Smiley up next year to play the 6.

So whaddya think?

estoy firmado! Segue to Segway! Go away FBI!

Your General Manager and YMOS James Gordon Bowden III

Posted by: Jim B | September 5, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Stephen,
if the Nats keep playing this way, at least they will have the chance to draft you and then fail to sign you! Go Nats, Go Pads, Go Mariners!

Posted by: joNAThan | September 5, 2008 8:59 PM | Report abuse

... with all apologies to JB since I know he reads this blog but... is Bergmann running out of chances considering the quality and quantity of arms competing for spots in the rotation next year?

Posted by: It's been asked before... | September 5, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

CHECK OUT THE P-NATS. They're holding on to a 1-0 at the top of the 8th!!

Posted by: Juan-John | September 5, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

At least Chipper and McCann are hitless.... and..... um... they got Francoeur out of the game... and...

I get it. Columbus didn't make the playoffs those this is the reward for the AAA guys.... Oh boy, this is getting tough.

All I did was take my dog to the park and come back to 10-1.
"Where did the win-streak Nationals go?"
by e chigliak on Sep 5, 2008 8:44 PM EDT

Posted by: cat daddy | September 5, 2008 9:33 PM | Report abuse

**************************

Toast

estoy firmado! Segue to Segway! Go away FBI!

Your General Manager and YMOS James Gordon Bowden III

Posted by: Jim B | September 5, 2008 9:38 PM | Report abuse

... my apologies were to (J)ason (B)ergmann not (J)im (B)owden. Sorry but my empathy runs deep for Jason and about as shallow as a crocodile's tear for JBow.

Posted by: Point of clarification... | September 5, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Boni throws lefthanded like a girl. Also bats righthanded like a girl. We knew that.

Has everyone seen Sarah as sportscaster? She drops all of her g's.

estoy firmado! Segue to Segway! Go away FBI!

Your General Manager and YMOS James Gordon Bowden III

Posted by: Jim B | September 5, 2008 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Levale in to keep it within reach... wait..... waiting....... hokay, good job there, Speigner.

Posted by: cat daddy | September 5, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

... when was the last time someone heard the phrase "at least it's almost hockey season" spoken in this town? But seriously... the calendar will graciously put an end to September soon enough and it's obviously going to take more than one off-season for the west coast offense to take root in Landover. Take heart DC fans. The best hockey player on the planet will be lacing up his skates soon enough.

Posted by: anticipation... antic-i-pa-a-tion... | September 5, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Who is the Braves' RF who was loping slowly to get Langer's triple ball?

Posted by: Anon | September 5, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

NATS WIN NATS WIN NA-- I mean, P-NATS WIN P-NATS WIN P-NATS WIN!!!

Final score 1-0 in regulation. Detwiler got the win.

Now they're off to the Mills Cup Carolina League Championship Series!

Posted by: Juan-John | September 5, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

i'm glad i'm not bothering to watch. horrible lineup.

Posted by: 231 | September 5, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to the Potomac Nationals on their 3 game sweep of Wilmington, winning tonight 1-0 behind the pitching of Detwiler, Severino, and Wilkie. They are now headed to the Mills Cup which they haven't been to since 1989 (which they won when they were the Prince William Cannons) I believe their first game is this Thursday. I hope they get a big crowd there.

Posted by: P Nats Fan | September 5, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Now it's up to Willie and the Kids with 6 outs to get 5....

Damn Langerhans, gets his monthly hit and now he'll live forever...

Posted by: cat daddy | September 5, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

And in the 9th, the Nats pin their hopes on.........

P. Orr
K. Casto
R. Langerhans

"Pitiful, jes pitiful..." J. Clampett

Posted by: cat daddy | September 5, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

boswell had a chat today and called out the Lerners. Can't expect to grow a fan base if they keep fielding crap like this. Bergman is a busher. Only 2 major leaguers on the field tonight for the nats were guzman and zimmerman.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 5, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Fire Stan!
He ruined our fan base, now he's going to make sure washington never has one

Posted by: ATL fans | September 5, 2008 10:37 PM | Report abuse

The conspiricy theorist in me suggest this game was all about creating distance between the Nats and Sea/SD. This lineup had Z-E-R-O chance from the time it was posted. Awful.

Posted by: The truth is out there... | September 5, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

August 17, 2008 (now with the PNats)

Notice the "let up" Chico lingo.

Osvaldo Rodriguez had a good American debut for the Hagerstown Suns today. He pitched 6.0 innings for the Suns, letting up 5 hits and 1 earned run, while striking out 7 and walking only one. The 24 year old Dominican right-hander previously posted a 12-0 record for the DSL Nationals1. He only let up 8 ER in 71 IP, and maintained an ERA of 1.01 and a WHIP of 1.06. He let up 0 HRs and struck out 107 batters.

Posted by: Anon | September 5, 2008 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Hey O's Exec

I owe you big time. I was feeling pretty down tonight, but when I heard what your team did in their game, I felt a lot better. For those that didn't hear, our neighbors to the north opened a homestand against the A's following a disatrous 0-6 road trip. And guess what? They lost. 11-2 was the final, thanks to Oakland's 8-run 8th inning. The best part? Oakland had ONE hit in the inning (which happened to be a grand slam). O's pitchers walked six, including FOUR with the bases loaded (that's in addition to another bases-loaded walk earlier in the game). So, O's Exec, even though I haven't seen you posting on here lately (I wonder why? Ha!), thank you :) I know you're lurking on here, but I guess you can't say anything bad about the Nats when you look at your team's performance.

Posted by: brent | September 6, 2008 2:25 AM | Report abuse

I have crossed to other side on Bergmann now. Originally I wanted him to be our opening day pitcher. I thought he was sent to the minors prematurely this spring. I cheered his return and his 19 scoreless innings in a row as vindication of his true talent. Now all good feelings have been brutally washed away over the last month with last night being the last straw. Jason has lost the mental part of the game and is a liability on the mound now. I would rather see Garrett Mock or Martiss take his spot. By the way, Jason, I feel for you after watching Estrada come in and stink up the rest of the inning and giving you 3 more runs on your mountainous ERA. So what do I see for Bergmann's future? He has pitched well enough at times to compete for a roster as a starting pitcher next year but I do not see it as a given, like Chico's spot was saved for him this year.

Posted by: dale | September 6, 2008 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Bergman may or may not have the mental toughness needed, but as a comparison yesterday...

Lilly,13-9, lasted 2 innings, 5 runs against the Reds.
Lieber lasted 2 more, 4 runs.
Haren, 14-8, lasted 4, 5 runs against LA.
Pettitte gave up 3 early against Seattle and lost.
Sonnanstine lasted 6, but gave up 4 early and lost.

And these guys have bats backing them up.

Posted by: cat daddy | September 6, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Congrats to the P-Nats for the series win and to Ross Detwiler for clinching another big one. They'll be at home on Sept. 11 for Game 3 of the league championship series. Be there. Aloha.

Posted by: natsfan1a | September 6, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse