More From Ladnier

Deric Ladnier spoke with a few media members today via conference call; the connection was kind of grainy (1), so I'm going to paraphrase the main points that came out in the conversation.

* Ladnier drew a parallel between his old organization (Kansas City) and his new one. Both are organizations that are growing with scouting and player development, he said.

* He'll be working directly under GM Jim Bowden, assistant GM Mike Rizzo and scouting director Dana Brown. Especially with two top-10 picks coming up in 2009's amateur draft, this is an exciting year. "At the end of the day it'll be Jim, Mike and Dana making those [drafting] decisions," Ladnier said, but he simply hopes to inform and advise them.

* On his time in Atlanta, and his connection with Stan Kasten: "I knew Stan from the past, no question about that. But to say I worked directly with Stan was not true. He was the president of club, and I was head of minor league operations. But his leadership was instrumental in that organization, and the one thing I remembered about Stan, he allowed people to do their jobs and guide accordingly."

* Ladnier believes that his scouting philosophy is very similar to Dana Brown's. Both of them like athletes -- "athletes that have skills." Ladnier said, "Every team has different ways of looking at players, but I know from the outside looking in, Dana's way of looking at players is similar to mine."

* Asked about the challenge of having two picks in the first round, Ladnier admitted that the burden was "enormous."

"I went through many years with the Royals selecting high in the draft, and sometimes, quite honestly, it can be difficult with the pressure that comes with having a high selection. You have to be correct. You saw David Price pitching in the championship game last night. Those players should impact your organization, and sooner than later." The financial investment a team makes in such high selections, Ladnier said, adds to the importance.

* As for getting fired from KC... Ladnier said he has no hard feelings. He "thinks the world" of GM Dayton Moore. "His job is to do what he feels like is in the best interest of the organization, and at end of game, he felt like making a change was necessary. You realize in this game that change happens. I have no hard feelings. The Royals have been tremendous to me. I think it's a great organization. I think they're headed in the right direction. Decisions get made, and life goes on; it's provided me a chance to be with this organization, and I'm excited about it."

(1) It's also possible that the telephone connection was just fine, and that I have eaten so much candy corn today that the sugar coursing through my bloodstream has impaired all bodily function, including hearing ability. Ahh -- gotta love October candy season.

By Chico Harlan  |  October 20, 2008; 3:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ladnier Joins Front Office
Next: Bowden Treated For Skin Cancer

Comments

John Sickles on the Royals system:

The Royals have made a lot of improvements, but still need more offensive depth beyond the top elite batters. Focus on pitching has yielded dividends at the lower levels, but injury attrition will hit at some point, and they could use more polished guys to mix with the tools players.

For those of you who bemoan JimBo's focus on toolsy players, this is not good news.

Posted by: Gal Revels in Pee | October 20, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, he passed up on some good players when choosing Hochevar.

Posted by: 756* | October 20, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Anyone have an idea on the Royals draft negotiating process? Was Ladnier involved with any of the first round negotiations over the last three years?

Boras represents Hosmer, Moustakas & Hochevar... KC's last three first rounders. Wonder if bringing Ladnier on board will play into drafting/signing Strasburg?

Posted by: Los Doce Ocho | October 20, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

This is QUITE interesting...

Posted by: WOW | October 20, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I know all the fans who read and post on the blog will, regardless of differences with and about Jimbo, will join with me in wishing the best of luck and a full recovery from his cancer.

Posted by: Sec 204 Row K Seat 11 | October 20, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

First, a comment to JimBow...Exactly what my dermatologist said to me, after removing a (fortunately) pre-cancerous growth on my head: WEAR A HAT, DUMMY!!!! This is only half humorous. I'm sure that all of us here on NJ, whether we agree with his moves or not, wish him the best.

The hiring of Ladnier is very interesting, in that it is a firm indication that the Nats won't be swayed by the rantings and panic of those who want to compete, yesterday. Build, build, build. A building is only as solid as its foundation.

Posted by: Catcher50 | October 20, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the update, Chico.

As an aside, my mother once sent me a one-pound box of candy corn for my (adult) birthday. I feel your pain. I do still eat it, but in much smaller quantities. Now, those mini chocolate candy bars are another story...

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 20, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Just followed the link from anonymous and agree with catcher50. I wish Jim the best with his recovery. Waiting to have the surgery was not a good idea, as he notes. Also, in addition to hats, sunscreen is important.

Posted by: natsfan1a | October 20, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

If people are wondering who coaching possibilities are, look at these names: Rick Eckstein (a familar face), Jim Riggleman, Marquis Grissom, and Mike Gallego.

How do I know? A user's comment over @ Farm Authority...and I do trust it.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | October 20, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

I wish Jimbo a quick recovery. Waiting to have surgery was crazy. I hope his family chewed him out.

Posted by: Count Demoney | October 20, 2008 9:50 PM | Report abuse

Nats seem desperate...Miguel Batista, Jarrod Washburn, Jonathan Sanchez, Fernando Rodney, Nate Robertson. Brandon Lyon if he becomes available.

Posted by: Andrew Stebbins | October 20, 2008 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Adding my wishes for Jim's full recovery.

Posted by: dcbatgirl | October 20, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

To JB: Get well soon. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

To all:
Wear a hat.
Wear sunscreen.
Don't delay in excising the mnonster. The delay could kill you.

Let's play two!

Posted by: SlowPitch63 | October 21, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse

Andrew, where did you get that list? Sanchez seemed to have been a bit of a stud this past year, and Rodney is worth a look if healthy...

Posted by: expo_ram | October 21, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The question really on our minds: What does Ladnier think of Stephen Strasburg?

Posted by: Fisch Fry | October 23, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse