Chico's on Vacation ...

Just a quick note to our Nats Journal readers to let you know that Chico is on vacation this week. I will try to keep you up to date on Nats moves in his absence, with a lot of help from Marc Carig and Dave Sheinin.

If you're lonely, come visit the Baseball Insider, where we'll be talking free agents -- today it's Mark Teixeira -- and postseason awards, which begin today with the rookies of the year.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  November 10, 2008; 11:08 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Journal Video: Unis and Acta
Next: Three Added To Roster

Comments

This is interesting. From mlbtraderumors.com:

Perrotto says the Nationals will land Mark Teixeira, as they could be prepared to offer Teixeira - a Maryland native - ten years, $200MM. Turning down that kind of money would certainly be difficult.

Does anyone really think the Lerners will throw out this kind of cash? I doubt it.

Posted by: FloresFan | November 10, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Frankly, I don't think 10 years and $200 million will get it done. Ten years might be correct but my guess is Tex will get closer to $25 million per season. Will the Lerners pay that much? I hope not. I'd much rather wait a year (or two) and use an internal solution whether that is Marrero or Reinhart. I've never been convinced we need a 3rd first baseman (Johnson, Young, Tex). An outfielder who can play 1st makes more sense to me. I wouldn't block any of our kids though. I thought the whole idea was to develop and use our own players, not to pay insane amounts of money for free agents.

Posted by: grforbes | November 10, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, grforbes, how do you figure we've got Johnson or Young right now?

Dmitri just got moved to Syracuse--not only to clear spots on the 40-man, but also because of his bad shape. And Nick has basically not played any appreciable amount since he broke his leg in 2006.

Yes, we need a first baseman. And we need a bat. And we need these things pretty soon. The fans won't stand for another 100-loss season.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | November 10, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Teixeira is a nice balance between WE NEED TO WIN NOW!!!! and build the farm, make love, not war. He would be around for ten years, and he would be contributing big time for at least eight of those. And with the drastically low payroll the Nats have, they can spend that much on him and still be in the bottom half of the majors on payroll.

Posted by: Section506 | November 10, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

If we were to sign Teixeira and only him, I would say that was a very reasonable response to the Free Agent market. Long term, he can get us to the playoffs. We have no reliable first basemen. None. Nick and D'meat are done. Please sign Teixeira. Please.

Posted by: 6thandD | November 10, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse