Jewett is New Class A Potomac Manager

With last year's manager, Randy Knorr, now a part of the Washington coaching staff, Class A Potomac knew it would need a new manager for 2009. The team today announced that Trent Jewett, a long-time minor league manager with the Pittsburgh organization, will take the job.

Rounding out the staff is Jerry Browne (hitting coach), Paul Menhart (pitching coach) and Atsushi Toriida (trainer).

Jewett, 44, has managed for the last six years at the Class AAA level, first with Nashville (2003-04) and then with Indianapolis (2005-08).

By Chico Harlan  |  November 20, 2008; 12:47 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lannan on All-Rookie Team
Next: The Suitors Line Up

Comments

Thanks for the update, Chico (and a belated welcome back).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I assume that the new hitting coach is the son of the former California governor.

Posted by: BobLHead | November 20, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Since Trent and I share the same last name I was sure upon opening NJ this morning that I had finally gotten that big promotion I'd been hoping for.

Sadly dissapointed...

Actually I think Trent and I are very distant relatives (although I make a point not to believe my grandmother on any family geneology) so maybe I can get some on field face time with Burgess, Smoker, McGeary, King et al next summer...

Posted by: estuartj | November 20, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

AHA, I've finally discovered why the Texas Rangers are such a bad baseball team: they don't understand the business concept behind the game!

"Rangers sell Loe to Japan"

Posted by: Section506 | November 20, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of players in Japan, Rick Short is still hitting and plays on the same team as Rasner.

Posted by: jctichen | November 20, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

So, what was this guy's records previously? Any MLB names that have come up in his system?

Potomac is Mills Cup Champion this year! I hope he has as much success as Randy did! He's got big shoes to fill!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | November 20, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Hey, jctichen, did you read my postings in the prior thread or are you psychic?

hmmm, interesting, natbisquit. That causes me to ponder, who would be best Nats player for a (Six Degrees of) Kevin Bacon-style game? Maybe a LOOGY like Mike Stanton would be the most useful in that regard. Maybe an older player who's been around a bit.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 1:36 PM

Hmm, guess it's been done, and it all came back to the Phillies (thanks, Google, and sorry, 506).

On a somewhat related note, the blog entry that I turned up puts me in mind of an interesting and funny book that I turned up at a recent library book sale: Robert Whiting's "You Gotta Have Wa." It deals with the concept of unity and team spirit in Japanese baseball, and Manuel is just one of the cast of American characters. It would be even better if it had an index but what book wouldn't be? (Nats degree of separation: Wonder what ever happened to Rick Short? I heard at one point that he went to play baseball in Japan. Those were some fun times at RFK when he was called up.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 1:48 PM

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

There's more about Jewett's career on the P-Nats site:

I agree that he has some big shoes to fill. I like that he was a catcher as Knorr was.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Ha, 506, I came here to post a similar joke, but you beat me to the punch.

Also, RosenRosen seems to think the Nats are stil in the hunt for Teixeira:

"While the Angels and Red Sox still appear the favorites for free-agent first baseman Mark Teixeira, the Nationals remain a major player, the Yankees can not be discounted and other teams remain involved.
Teixeira's agent, Scott Boras, is in deep economic discussions with interested clubs, according to a major-league source. Teixeira is almost certain to sign before Boras' other major free-agent slugger, Manny Ramirez. It still appears doubtful that Teixeira will choose the Nationals or his even hometown Orioles when he has better options. But another Boras client, Alex Rodriguez, stunned the baseball world by joining the then-lowly Rangers as a free agent after the 2000 season. Teixeira, 28, could justify signing with the Nationals by saying he wanted to be the face of an emerging franchise in the nation's capital. He could rationalize signing with the Orioles by saying he wanted to spark their revival at a time when the team finally is starting to develop young talent."

Posted by: BobLHead | November 20, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

estuartjewett? Say that three times fast...

Posted by: NatsNut | November 20, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

I get Easter Chew It, NatsNut. Not sure if that's what estuartj's mom was really going for, though.

All in good fun, estuartj. My name's certainly nothing special, and doesn't sound quite as cool, either.

Posted by: faNATic | November 20, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Easter Chew It

mmm...chocolate rabbits and marshmallow peeps...

(channeling Homer S.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Rick Short provided the highlight of my RFK experience when he collected his first hit, double and RBI in the majors in his first at bat. That, after awesome piece by either Barry or Sheinin that morning.

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

June 2005, those were the days to be a Nats fan.

Posted by: NattyDelite | November 20, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Didn't turn up the June piece but here's a Short feature by Les Carpenter from August of 2005.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Chico,

Do you see him as the manager or bench coach in Washington if Acta's team underperforms out of Spring Training? I know Boz has said many times that Acta is about the second best prospect this team has, but they do not nave time to develop him further in my view....either he is ready to win in April and May or he is toast. Yes, that means someone else may benefit in a few years when he is more ready to manage a MLB team but so be it. Acta must come out of the gate managing to win.....hit and run, bunt a guy over, sit players who are cold....no more teaching and preaching please......

Posted by: JayBeee | November 20, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse