Lannan on All-Rookie Team

John Lannan was one of 10 players named today to the 50th Annual Topps Major League Rookie All-Star team, which recognizes the best rookie from each position, plus one left-handed and one right-handed pitcher. Lannan, who went 9-15 with a 3.91 ERA in '08, took the left-handed pitching spot.

Here's how the rest of this roster plays out...

C -- Geovany Soto (ChC)
1B -- Joey Votto (Cin)
2B -- Alexei Ramirez (ChW)
SS -- Mike Aviles (KC)
3B -- Evan Longoeia (TB)
OF -- Jay Bruce (Cin)
OF -- Denard Span (Min)
OF -- David Murphy (Tex)
RHP -- Brad Ziegler (Oak)

By Chico Harlan  |  November 20, 2008; 11:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teixeira Watch: Why It Might Be a Long Winter
Next: Jewett is New Class A Potomac Manager

Comments

Go Lannan !!! This is great, he totally deserves this....

Posted by: Berndaddy | November 20, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

I agree. Go, Lannan! (I will show some Rays love and offer an "atta boy" to Longoria as well.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 20, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Span didn't even spend the whole season in the bigs. He was a callup after Cuddyer was injured. Good on him.

Lannan was the one guy I wanted to watch pitch this year. No matter how bad things got, no matter how disgusted I may have become, I was at the least going to watch every fifth game this season.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 20, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

The Royals' acquisition of Coco Crisp should make Teahen and/or David DeJesus expendable; both are quality lefthanded bats, and DeJesus is a decent CF.

Posted by: BobLHead | November 20, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

DeJesus would be a great addition if we could come up with a suitable package, I don't think they want any of our corner guys, except maybe Milledge. Teahen is just more of the same for us, redundant w/ Willingham...

Props to Lannan, I think Lannan, Olsen and Balester are a pretty good fit as our 2-4 pitchers. I expect to see Zimmermann as the #5 and probably Redding as our #1 until the trade deadline. I just don't see us being real players for any FA SPs unless the market comes back down, which I seriously doubt after Sabathia tops off at $160+mil.

Would we really be better off with an aged reclamation project SP on a 1 or 2 year deal? Let the kids learn on the mound, not in AAA, IMO.

Posted by: estuartj | November 20, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Awesome! I've adored Lannan since his (sort of) hilarious debut against the Phillies and for striking out Bonds when he was sitting on 755, IN SAN FRANCISCO, the night before Bascik gave it up. LANNAN ROCKS!!!

Posted by: NatsNut | November 20, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh...and all that AFTER he started the year in Single A, motored through the minors and was called up to the bigs....

Posted by: NatsNut | November 20, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that one. I got tickets to see the Nats/Bucs game in May (it was Homestead Gray Day) and Lannan was scheduled to pitch. The night before, the team switched him with Chico (the pitcher, not Harlan) and I was really bummed. I think Lannan will be a really top quality pitcher.
________________________________________________

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 20, 2008 12:41 PM

Posted by: TimDz | November 20, 2008 8:49 PM | Report abuse

reposting here because ... wait, why DO people re-post?

Dave, Tracee, Chico, et al.,
It might be fun to see how many of the Sputtering Class you can goad into apoplexy by repeated mentions of teams not based here.
Just sayin.
"This is a game of fear and ignorance."

Posted by: CEvansJr | November 20, 2008 9:55 PM