O's Have Bigger Makeover (Update)

The Orioles unveiled new uniforms Wednesday, a week after the Nats. Baltimore's changes, however, seem more significant. For more details, see the Baseball Insider.

UPDATE!!!!!

YEESH. BobLHead, you are my hero. Thanks for understanding.

I thought the uniform change would be interesting to Nats readers because it was the first time since the Senators left DC that they are using the word "Baltimore." I didn't send you all over to read about Melvin Mora's shoulder surgery because I didn't think that would be of interest to Nats fans.

The Orioles DID make bigger changes. They changed the team logo, for one thing. That's rare. That doesn't mean they were BETTER changes. It's not a value judgment or a scathing social commentary.

Deep breaths, people.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  November 12, 2008; 2:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Former Nat to Coach Mexico
Next: Smoker Has Shoulder Surgery

Comments

The Guthrie photo is one of the absolute worst photo shops on earth.

I'll take the smoking hot models any day.

Posted by: Section506 | November 12, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how the Orioles changes are "more significant".

all they did was change some trimmings, put "Baltimore" on the road jerseys, and change the logo. the basic design of the jerseys are all the same, for the most part.

and why is this in NATIONALS Journal anyway.

Posted by: MrMadison | November 12, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

What does this have to do with the Nationals? Other than MASN saw fit to televise the Orioles uniform unveiling but not the Nationals.

Please lets keep this blog about the Nats.

Posted by: raymitten | November 12, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Tracee, this is *Nationals* Journal. No one but the trolls around here gives a flying f*** about the Orioles. It's going now into year 5 of the Nationals being *the* local team in Washington. Why hasn't the Post figured that out yet?

Posted by: nunof1 | November 12, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

If you click on over to the Baseball Insider post linked above, you will find that this news is indeed linked to the Nationals, viz:

"After the Senators left Washington in 1971, the Orioles dropped all references to Baltimore on their uniforms to make the team more appealing to baseball fans in the Baltimore-Washington corridor. Washington has its own team now, so the Orioles are making a pronounced effort to represent Baltimore and the state of Maryland."

Posted by: BobLHead | November 12, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Washington has its own team now, so the Orioles are making a pronounced effort to represent Baltimore and the state of Maryland."

If only the Post would make a more pronounced effort to represent its home the District of Columbia and its team the WASHINGTON Nationals, instead of the Baltimore Orioles - who are now basically disowning Washington. It took a while, but the Orioles finally figured out where their fans are. Why can't the Post?

Posted by: nunof1 | November 12, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Are the two Chico's intertwined? Almost feels like I haven't come across a meaningful lead post since Matt Chico became broken Chico.

As Chico goes, so goes Chico?

You know whats over at Baseball Insider? The same stuff thats in the Washington Post...nothing about the Nationals.

Posted by: LosDoceOcho | November 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Uniform changes regardless of the team - who cares?!!

Posted by: jctichen | November 12, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Well, since we were so rudely pointed over to the Orioles' uniform announcement, there IS one question I'd like the Post to investigate. How come the Orioles don't have a fugly patriotic alternate jersey like the Nats do? Does this mean the Orioles are terrorists?

Posted by: nunof1 | November 12, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Judging by the O's alternate jersey, I would say it's worse: they're black.

Posted by: Section506 | November 12, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Why are we talking about the 0's on the Nats blog. Who cares about the 0's. The Post wastes enough space in the paper, do we need to waste time and space here? I also don't understand why MASN aired the O's unveiling, but not the Nats. Oh yeah I do, because they could careless about the Nats and DC.

Posted by: brothbart | November 12, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to see what the new Royals uniforms look like -- I can only assume that this is part one in the twenty-nine part series, "New and Exciting Uniform Changes for Teams That Aren't Your Freakin' Home Team".

Posted by: joebleux | November 12, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

that the Washington Post even covers the Orioles is offensive. Nats coverage only here PLEASE.

Posted by: andreekless | November 12, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up Francis.

How can we feel good about the Nationals if we can't discuss the Orioles from time to time. Good Grief. If they had referenced the Cleveland Indians or another MLB team no one here would have cared.

The Redskins Blog talks about other teams, the Wizards Blog talks about other teams, what makes you guys so insecure?

Posted by: natbisquit | November 12, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

BTW, the Baseball Insider blog that was referenced is an excellent addition to the Post coverage of Baseball - really first class. And, it mentions the Nationals from time to time (but no one complains about it over there).

Posted by: natbisquit | November 12, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

"Deep breaths, people."

Tracee, as they say at the Washington Post, if you don't get it you don't get it. You guys obviously still don't get it, do you? Yeesh, indeed.

Posted by: nunof1 | November 12, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh, for the Gods of Baseball's sake, lighten up! You all should be glad just to get a whiff of baseball, regardless of the team mentioned, since the rest of the country is focused on football writ large. I thought the item about the Os changing their unis was interesting. The Washington Post is a national paper, after all, not just concerned with Metropolitan Washington and this whole region.

Posted by: samantha7 | November 12, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Good grief folks... it's mid-November. The hot stove is still on its preheat cycle. FA season doesn't open for another 2 days. It's a slow/no news day for the Nats.

I'm with natbisquit on this... hypersensitivity to cross-blog-contamination makes us look like we have an inferiority complex.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | November 12, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

once again, i fail to understand the level of animosity towards the orioles.

the owner sucks, pulled the wool over the franchise and mlb, controls the tv deal, and made his money off of asbestos- check.

it was the only team in town for 30+ years, depriving local fans of a D.C. team - check.

even though that had nothing to do with the orioles themselves, but greedy owners that felt the D.C. sport scene sucked - check.

and they change uniforms to represent another team in the area, for the same reason they took away the Baltimore in the first place, yet people are still complaining about the Post covering the O's, when there is a large portion of residents in this area that root for both teams - check.

get over it.

Posted by: theraph | November 12, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

He he. I like the little scolding in the update, Hamilton.

I don't care much about the Orioles, but yea, this is interesting. We're getting fed anyway.

As for black uniforms, I love them. I think they look awesome against the green grass.

Posted by: NatsNut | November 12, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I used to argue against this absurd parochialism, but now I'm just amused by it.

Can we please have MORE non-Nationals news?

Posted by: Section506 | November 12, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Mad props for the "Stripes" reference Natsbisquit.

I hate the O's as well, but I do think it warrants a mention on this site when the O's (finally) acknowledge on their uniform they are no longer claiming Washington, Northern Virginia and Richmond as their backyard.

Posted by: ArlingtonNatsFan | November 12, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

So Tracee has gone out of her way to provide us anything even remotely Nats related during the offseason doldrums, and this is the thanks she gets?

It's relevant to the Constituency because the uniform change is an implicit acknowledgement that the Orioles are no longer the only baseball representative in the I95 corridor. Angelos's DC/Baltimore Orioles dream has died.

Honestly, is this post so offensive that it's worse than the alternative - nothing?

There's even the timely issue of athletic aesthetics. Both Baltimore and Washington have the city names spelled in script on the away jerseys. That's a classic look. Baltimore goes for the Maryland flag (an addition I like - it reminds me of the Alberta flag on the shoulder of the Calgary Flames unis). Should the DC flag be worked into the Nats uniforms at some point? If so, how?

Thanks for trying to keep the conversation up, Tracee.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 12, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Leave it to a bunch of Expos fans to get their panties in a bunch over some non-Expos news.

Get over it sissies.

O's rule and the Expos drool.

Expos can only dream of having a first class organization like the O's.

Boo-Yah!

Posted by: Os_Exec | November 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we are PO because the Nats are treated like 3rd class citizens in the Post, MASN and on some of the local news stations. I am amazed of how much coverage the Redskins and other teams get. There has been plenty of times that the Post have hid a story of the Nats that deserved to be front and center. As for MASN, well the NATS and DC get no love.

the Post isn't a national paper. USA Today, NY Times, and WSJ are national papers.

The Post is losing readers at an alarming rate and they better wake-up. they are going to lose a lot more if they don't start treating the NAT fans with some respect. almost every story has been negative. They hire a guy who is a decent writer, but knows nothing about baseball and always seems to be away. Why don't we have guys trying to find out trades or signing before they happen. We never get any information that something maybe brewing until it happens. Where is the investigative reporting during this time?

Posted by: brothbart | November 12, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I tend to agree.

Also, I usually find orange to be the worst color imaginable. I think it works for the Orioles, however. To be honest, I think it's better than the predictable red, white, and blue.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 12, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Now we know...Tracee is really O's Exec!

Posted by: leetee1955 | November 12, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I truly agree with brothbart. Because we have been wronged in the past we should withdraw into an insular community that insists on not being aware of happenings elsewhere. The Nationals should begin only playing split-squad games against themselves in order to keep us from ever even acknowledging the other other teams in MLB.

We have enough outfielders to do it.

Posted by: Section506 | November 12, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Also, gotta laugh at the complaint about Angelos keeping baseball out of DC even though he wasn't even the O's owner when MLB awarded teams to Toronto, Denver, and Miami over DC.

And like he single-handedly kept MLB from awarding a team to DC over Tampa Bay and Phoenix.

Take your sad, pathetic, baby-whining elsewhere.

Posted by: Os_Exec | November 12, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Good to see a lot of old posters coming out of the woodwork to rejoin the usual arguments. Welcome back guys! (And by guys, I of course mean gals as well.)

Bring back Livan!

Posted by: BobLHead | November 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Also, new post, and it doesn't look like a good one.

Posted by: BobLHead | November 12, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

The snippet below from brothbart is the issue that I care about. I agree with BobL that this uniform change is actually relevant to the Nats, and to me, the problem never has been that the Post has Os coverage (more baseball coverage is always a good thing).

The problem is that the Post has never covered the Nats enough. Which understandably leads some people to have a hair trigger in reponse to posts like this that are not clearly about the Nats.

* * *

"Why don't we have guys trying to find out trades or signing before they happen. We never get any information that something maybe brewing until it happens. Where is the investigative reporting during this time?"

Posted by: brothbart | November 12, 2008 3:53 PM

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | November 12, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I second all the "chill out, people" sentiments. Believe it or not, there are many, many people that are fans of both teams. fyi, the Baltimore Sun does cover the Nationals somewhat. Not as extensively as the Orioles, of course, but the Nats' uniform changes got mentioned there too. I will agree, however, that the Nationals do get the short shrift from the Post, as compared to other local teams.
My question - why could the Nats only scrounge up 1 player and a manager, while the Orioles had 7 current players, 1 manager, and 2 former players at their modeling show? I realize the Nats don't have a Jim Palmer/Boog Powell equivalent, but surely they have a Chris Waters equivalent that could have shown?

Posted by: ac42 | November 12, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Seeing as the O's get better TV ratings in DC than the Nats, it seems to make sense that they get their share of coverage in the Post. Does this mean that this story should be in this section? Eh, whatever. You can't blame the Post for covering the team in one form or another though.

Posted by: dugly2ugly | November 12, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I am working to get my old nickname back (what happened to the sign in?), but figured I needed to support Chico.

The fact that the O's are embracing Baltimore again is a big deal for me, and something that might lead me to be able to enjoy them again. I wanted to write this before reading the many (apparently partially hostile) posts, so I wouldn't change my first impression either way.

Thanks, Chico. I appreciate the point you were making.

Posted by: kevincostello | November 12, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

So people expect Washington Nationals coverage in the local Washington newspaper blog about the Nationals team? And people are bitter over the owner in Baltimore blocking Washington getting a team for years?

Chill out people. It was only 33 years without a team thanks to those loveable Orioles. Thirty three years without a team is no biggie, dudes. You Washington people have no right to expect a Nationals blog in a Washington newspaper to be about the Nationals.

Posted by: raymitten | November 12, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Some are confusing what's printed in the paper with posts in this blog. I get that the WP is a national paper and that the O's have regional interest to some (apparently). I also get that the paper has a wider audience to cater to.

This isn't the paper. This is (allegedly) a blog about all things Nationals. If it isn't related to the Nats or have an effect on the Nats I don't want to read about it here on "Nats Journal". Example, if the O's make a significant offer in an effort to sign Texiera then sure, that's newsworthy here because of the Nats interest in Texiera. If the O's sign Pat Burrell (or change their uniform) then I can read about it in the paper, not have to see it here.

If the Post's writers can't distinguish what is newsworthy to Nats fans maybe they should hire writers who've spent more than a summer internship here. To long-time Washingtonians and short-time (5 years) Nats fans it's obvious.

Posted by: pwilly | November 13, 2008 9:14 AM | Report abuse

I am sooooooooo glad these bums have finally accepted that they are Baltimores team/Dundalk/Havre De Grace.

GOOOOOOOO NATS BABY! GO SKINS!

PS. Our AMERICA IN YOUR FACE uniforms are lovely!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | November 13, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse