Roger Bernadina Medical Update

Good news for Roger Bernadina -- and for the Bravos de Margarita, his team in the Venezuelan Winter League. It looks like Bernadina's recent injury, diagnosed as a right calf strain, will require a two-week strength and conditioning program. After that, Bernadina is expected to return to el Bravos and finish up the Venezuelan season. Bernadina had traveled to DC to be examined by new Nats medical director Dr. Wiemi Douoguih.

So far in Venezuela, Bernadina is hitting .175 (7 for 40). Washington's outfield, at this moment, looks a bit crowded for Bernadina to have a strong shot at making the roster out of the gate; he'll probably start at CF in Syracuse. But at least Bernadina will be fully healthy by spring training.

By Chico Harlan  |  November 19, 2008; 11:32 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Foli to Manage Syracuse
Next: Stearns Returning as Class AA Manager

Comments

Re-posted in a clumsy attempt to answer a question:

Who's being punched in the mouth?

As I recall, Harris is in the last year of arbitration. He was a free agent last year because the Braves declined to offer him arbitration in his first year of eligibility. At the end of next season, I think, he would be an unrestricted free agent.

We really need Brian for this, what's he posting under now?

Posted by: Section506 | November 19, 2008 11:42 AM

Posted by: Section506 | November 19, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Given the endless debate about the shameless optimism/pessimism on the blog may I be the first to get my head chewed off for saying I desperately hope that Roger Bernadina can morph into a lead off defensive whizz. His minor league numbers are amazing, so maybe with a confidence building run in the majors he might do something. Maybe.

Posted by: soundbloke | November 19, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm still around.

Harris is in his final year of arbitration and you are correct he will be a F/A at the end of 2009

Posted by: Brian_ | November 19, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

No wonder my ears have been on fire this morning. Go Nats! That is all, for now.

Posted by: CoverageisLacking | November 19, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

FYI ... for any questions about contract status, I use Cot's (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/washington-nationals_01.html). It has not been updated since the end of the season (specifically service time has not been changed)

Posted by: Brian_ | November 19, 2008 12:19 PM | Report abuse

With a career .348 OBP and little to no power, I don't know what is "amazing" about Roger Bernadina's minor league numbers. Sure, it's a lot of steals. But he is getting caught 22% of the time stealing off of minor league pitchers and catchers.

As for contract info - I like www.MLB4U.com, which is also not updated to reflect any new signings.

Posted by: comish4lif | November 19, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of a crowded outfield...I think Bernadina's position is doubly difficult because of the amazing performance of Leonard Davis in AFL. After last night's game he is hitting .342 with a obp of .430 and slg of .630 (1.060 OPS). He is having a bit of trouble with Lefties (though only 14ABs is too small a sample).

Bill Rhinehart is also doing very well now after a slow start hitting .318 with a obp of .388 and a slg of .557 (.945 OPS).

I see both getting invited to ST and with an outside shot at making the roster depending on what other moves are made this off season. Regardless, I think it's very likely both will make their MLB debut this season once guys start gettin hurt (or sucking).

Posted by: estuartj | November 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the first diagnosis of a Nats player by Dr. Wiemi Douoguih?

May we begin the intense scrutiny?

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 19, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"May we begin the intense scrutiny?"

HE SHOULD BE FIRED!!!!

Posted by: Section506 | November 19, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Alright, amazing is a strong word. But there is not really a viable lead-off hitter anywhere in the organisation.

Posted by: soundbloke | November 19, 2008 1:34 PM | Report abuse

With so many relievers on the market etiher via free agecny or trade, I am hopeful that the Nats will add at least one late inning reliever to the team to supplement the relievers we already have. Rivera, Shell, Hinckley, and sometimes Colome are strong performers but none are ideal 8th/9th inning relievers. I would argue that Hanrahan is not either. In addition to FRod, Fuentes, Hoffman, Wood, and Valverde there are a number of others that are apparently available such as Sherrill, Putz, and Jenks, Street, and of course Cordero. With a glut of performers like these, maybe there is a bargain to be had -- either a lower dollar signing or a trade that does not cost too much in minor league talent. If Putz is truly available from Seattle (as has been rumored), perhaps a deal could be worked out. The Nats have never had a hard throwing reliever like him. Cordero was near automatic in 2005 and 2006, but since then it's been more of a struggle.

Posted by: natbisquit | November 19, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

If I'm Roger, I go see Dr. Koko. Dr. Koko fixed Dukes legs. Plus Dr. Koko is already on retainer with the team's League of Extraordinary Physicians so maybe Roger gets a group discount.

Posted by: LosDoceOcho | November 19, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse