Teixeira Sets Deadline ... at a Football Game

Well, mlb.com is reporting that Mark Teixeira would like to have a new contract by Christmas. Here's what he said when interviewed by ESPN on the sideline during the Georgia Tech-Miami game Thursday night:

"I don't want to put a timetable on it, but Christmas morning, I want to know where I'm going to be for the next couple of years, so hopefully, by Christmas it will be done."

Of course, it matters more when Scott Boras wants it done, but we'll see. He also said this:

"I want to go where I can win and my family is happy. Whether it's the East Coast -- that's where I'm from -- but I loved playing in Anaheim, too, so we'll see what happens."

Want more Tex news? The Sox have "lust" for him -- ewwww.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  November 21, 2008; 8:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Suitors Line Up
Next: The First-Base Picture, Beyond Teixeira

Comments

Hey, Teixeira... you can spend every holiday with your family if you come to Washington. Remember, you're another piece of the aging puzzle in New York and Boston, but TEIXEIRA IS GOD IN DC.

Posted by: Section506 | November 21, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

HAHHAHAHHAHA if Texiera comes to the area he will come to Baltimore. Washington has no chance

Posted by: beas13 | November 21, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

OK, it's DC. Let's parse this...

"I want to know where I'm going to be for the next couple of years"

Is it possible that he is looking at a 2 or 3 year contract for maybe 25-30 mil / year? If so, that might fit with either LA team or Boston. What it won't fit in with is the Nats or even the O's (who are, apparently, looking to do a serious bottom up build). Let's remember that he would still be in his early 30s and could look at another notch up in numbers.

Posted by: Catcher50 | November 21, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I don't think there's any chance that either Boras or the MLBPA will allow him to sign a contract under 6-8 years. Even if he signs an 8 year deal, he's 36 when he has to re-up, and he'll be able to get another 4 year contract at whatever the going rate is.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | November 21, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

TMI from Sox Nation. Not that there's anything wrong with it. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | November 21, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Come to DC Mr. Teixeira and we promise we will never misspell your name.

Posted by: Section109 | November 21, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

I make no such promises!

-----

Come to DC Mr. Teixeira and we promise we will never misspell your name.

Posted by: JohninMpls | November 21, 2008 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The argument of whether MT chooses Washington or Baltimore is probably a mental exercise, at best. I hope I'm wrong, though. But beast13 is absolutely incorrect. Baltimore has way too many holes to fill throughout their line-up and pitching rotation. MT would have to be crazy to go to Baltimore at this point. Of the two cities, the Nationals seem to be closer to compete as they have young talent seemingly ready at most positions. First base is about the final question to be answered. Maybe add someone like Lowe to provide stability and leadership to the rotation.

Posted by: 1of9000 | November 21, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

"I want to go where I can win..."

Mark, you have no idea how sorry I am to hear that.

Posted by: CEvansJr | November 21, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Lust, huh? So that makes Mike Lowell what? Hillary? Mrs. Vitter?

C50, NatsWin, others - It may be possible to make a front-loaded, high AAV contract more attractive by having a player opt-out, like A-Rod had after 7 years in his 2000 deal. Suppose the deal was structured to pay $120 million over the first 5 years, then $25 million per year over the next two, with a player opt out opportunity after 5 years? The Nats get some stability, and if it turns out that $25 million is below market whne he is 33, Teixeira can walk at what should still be a prime age.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | November 21, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse