Tolman to Mariners

Sorry it's been quiet at the Journal. Chico's back from Ecuador today, I believe.

Former Nats third base coach Tim Tolman has landed in Seattle as the Mariners' coordinator for minor league instruction.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  November 18, 2008; 8:07 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Orr Signs Minor League Deal
Next: Bernadina Sent Home

Comments

Dave:

Would you mind asking Mr. Kasten why it is that, in the midst of severe economic downturn, there was NO ONE answering phones at the Nats' offices this morning. I called 15 times between 8:30 and 8:45; tried to click through to three different departments; received nothing but a message that said I was calling after hours (which I wasn't) or a generic voicemail account.
Was hoping to chat with someone about my season-ticket account which I intend to renew despite wavering interest within my group. Would be nice if there was someone there to answer a couple questions about possible relocation and take my deposit.

Posted by: NearNative | November 18, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Wow, free agency started last Friday and this is the first blog entry since then! Not to mention there has not been an article on the Nationals since Friday either.

Come on Washington Post, pick up the pace.

Posted by: Hondo5 | November 18, 2008 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you, Hondo (is it Hondo Lives?), but I think we should be fair to the Post and acknowledge the massive tantrum that has been thrown every time a non-Nationals news item is posted.

Posted by: Section506 | November 18, 2008 9:02 AM | Report abuse

While it's certainly been slow here at the NJ with Chico gone, to be fair, there has been NO news since Friday on the Nats FA front. Do a Google search - there's just nothing out there to report right now. I'm one of the first to to jump on the Post for their declining coverage of the Nats the past few months, but I think you have to give them a pass this weekend.

Sheinin and Bos had their article and column, respectively, in Friday's print edition, and since then - it's just been random speculation on the FA market. There's plenty of that all over the fringe blogosphere, if you'd really want it. But I for one am happy to wait for real, /actual/ news with some substance.

I also appreciate Tracee and Dave's efforts to step in and continue the blog while Chico has been away. They didn't have to do that, or they could have delegated it down to some intern. Instead, two of the most senior Sports section folks stepped up. Let's lay off the whining for awhile, shall we?

Posted by: TheBorg | November 18, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Also, never mind the fact that there has been absolutely nothing interesting that has happened in free agency, aside from the signing of Affeldt by the Giants (a great signing, by the way).

Of course, we may have heard more about the potential rumblings and movings from behind the scenes at the Nats Park offices, but that presumes that there is anything of substance going on, and that agents and front offices are not waiting for the market to be set by the big names, as suggested in the previous post.

Posted by: faNATic | November 18, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

The problem with the Post is that they don't see their mistakes until the rest of the world does. After two years of carrying Barak Obama's water (to the point where it was embarassingly obvious), the Post ombudsman Deborah Howell admitted a clear tilt for Obama during the primaries and general election.

This came as a surprise only to Post staff writers and their immediate families.

Regarding the Nationals, I think the same thing applies. If the Post realized they were treating them as second-class citizens, they wouldn't do it.

Sooner or later, they'll see it, and correct it.

I can wait.

Posted by: rushfari | November 18, 2008 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Oh come on...

Take a look at other newspapers around the country, they are atleast giving their readers something. Jim Bowden is the friggin GM, you cant get a quote out of that guy? Yeah right.

The coverage is terrible.

Posted by: Hondo5 | November 18, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

There was a great debate about the Howell piece going on over at The Fix a few days ago. If you're interested in that topic, I encourage you to come over and check it out.

Posted by: Section506 | November 18, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Come on people. This is a post about Tim "Trainwreck" Tolman. Show some respect. How about we share some of our goods times with Tim. I'll start.

Remember the time he sent Bergmann home and Bergmann hurt his knee getting thrown out? Err. Or how about the time Tolman sent Goose home with Francouer throwing from short right field earlier this year. Uhh.

Never mind. Enjoy the Space Needle, Tolman.

Posted by: LosDoceOcho | November 18, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Tim Tolman has a boss with the same duties and the same basic title........just goes to show how bad he was here. Acta should not have been allowed to pick his friends on his first job. The coaching staff that was fired did a great deal of damage to the plan of playing the youth. They played the youth without teaching the youth anything......base running, bunting, taking pitches, hitting cut off men, hustling out of the dug out.....all these lessons were lost for 2 years on this team.......Hope Acta finally got the message or this will be Rigglemen's team by June.

Posted by: JayBeee | November 18, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse