A Different Tex Take

Some of you may have seen this story about Mark Teixeira by Lee Jenkins of Sports Illustrated. Good read, and Jenkins is one of the best.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  December 4, 2008; 8:29 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Release Spring Schedule [Updated]
Next: One Free Agent the Nats Would Be Fools to Pass Up

Comments

That's a great story, Tracee, thanks. It's as valuable for understanding Boras as for understanding Tex.

Posted by: Section506 | December 4, 2008 9:17 AM | Report abuse

A very fine story. My respect for Teixeira just increased. I wonder how Teixeira would have handled playing on team with such slackers as Felipe Lopez? Thank goodness that won't be a possibility. He sounds like the type of player that would instantly be a good influence on Milledge and Dukes. To me there are veterans who have "it" that character that influences others in a positive way, and others who for the most part act like they are the lone ranger types. I hope the Lerners figure into the equation for the price of Teixeira that you are getting a premium baseball player for 75% of the money and a valuable team member for the other 25%. We really, really need him.

Posted by: driley | December 4, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Recognition for what? Does he know you spend all day checking and posting on the blog? LOL!
______________________
"Funny that the ST schedule is out, because I just got a recognition from my supervisor today that included a gift card for...Panera!"

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 3, 2008 5:38 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | December 4, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Ouch!

So true.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 4, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he is also tired of you running out to Burger King and the havoc that wreaks.

Posted by: Section506 | December 4, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Methinks that the BK trips wreak havoc only for the Nats, not John's boss.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 4, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Good one, though!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 4, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

BK?? I can has cheezburger!

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 4, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Great article, thanks Tracee!
After reading it - how could ANYONE not want this guy on their team?
Can't you see it? Every MASN commercial, every banner at Nats Park, every bobblehead and trinket the team gives away will have the visage of either Zimm or Tex, or both - that's a potential All-American superstar tandem for the next 10 years.
Of course, with spotty management and seemingly zero willingness to shell out some cash, it's highly unlikely they'll ever land Tex, and it's possible Zimm is gone in a couple of years as well.
But I'd rather think about what could be...

Posted by: ajtrue78 | December 4, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Need I say more?

"with Teixeira showing a free-swinging team how to work deep into counts. When he came to the plate, Angels hitting coach Mickey Hatcher made sure to sit next to young players like Erick Aybar and Howie Kendrick in the dugout. "I'd tell them, 'Look what Tex is doing up there,'" Hatcher says. "'You see that pitch he just took? You see that pitch he just fought off?'" At the All-Star break, the Angels ranked 29th in walks. In the second half they ranked 21st. "He was the perfect guy for their lineup," says Mariners pitcher Jarrod Washburn."

Posted by: ajtrue78 | December 4, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Just looking at the Post website and wondering...Is November 19 the last time the Post had a print article on the Nats? In the middle of the Hot Stove season? With rumors o' plenty? With all the possible story lines out there and nothing?

And this is our "home town paper"?

I grew up in NY and was there for Thanksgiving. Perhaps I am just jealous. Just saying...

Posted by: NatsWin | December 4, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Great article. Thanks Tracee. I've always thought it was a long shot that the Nats would land Tex. But, after reading that article, now I don't think there's any way he's coming to the Nats...or to that losing team about an hour north.

He wants to play for a winner. He's all business. He turned down a decent extension offer from the Braves, even though his wife is from Atlanta. I don't blame him, but there's just no way he won't sign with the Red Sox if they make a competitive offer.

Posted by: cpedigo | December 5, 2008 9:13 AM | Report abuse