At The Finish Line

It's 2 o'clock. Still no word from the Teixeira camp, but it seems like it's come down to a decision between the Red Sox and Nationals... or perhaps the Yankees, if you believe the latest reports. A decision could come later today, those in the industry are now saying. So it's, at most, a three-team race.

By Chico Harlan  |  December 23, 2008; 2:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Word Coming Today On Tex?
Next: Teixeira to Yankees

Comments

Here are some interesting comments from Red Sox fans made on the Boston Globe blog:

- To Mark Teixeira: Please ... no, PLEASE ... sign with the Nationals. You've already shown Red Sox fans your true character by choosing Boras. It's all about the money. Two teams have traded you already. Have fun losing and watching Wily Mo Pena strike out every other at-bat. Mike Lowell has more class as a baseball player than you ever dreamed of having. Plus, he's got two more rings than you do.

- Hey! You never know this could be a building block for the Nationals. I'll take Youk and Lowell anyway any day of the week!

- I'm rooting for the Nationals to get him. Get him out of the AL. Mark not being on the Angels, Oreos or Yankees just makes us stronger in the league. No Frankie in the Angels bullpen knocks them down a couple of notches in the West. Might be a competeitive division now!

- Go Expos.....I mean Nationals!!!!!!

Who cares!?!?!?! GO AWAY!!!!!! He might as well pull out the ol' Latrell SprewelI comment "They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed." PLEASE!! I'm sick of selfish players. Go feed your family somewhere else.

- I'm thinkin now I'd rather go down swinging with Lowell than win with this prima donna.

- Equating a player's choice of agent with a player's character is ridiculous. Boras is Varitek's agent, for one -- no character questions there...

- Also ridiculous is this growing anti-Teixeira bandwagon. Why? Because he's taking his time deciding where he's gonna play the next eight years? It's DECEMBER, people! Do we really want to go into 2009 with a hobbled Lowell and a Big Papi with a bad wrist anchoring the lineup because Teixeira is "inconveniencing" everyone by taking his time?

- Just sign this is getting tired. Go off to DC and enjoy last place.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 23, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

he he. great post natbiscuit. everyone's getting a little testy with the suspense, huh? Cracks me up.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Word on the street over at BPG is "its over" the builder says its the SAWX!

Let the flow of tears begin

Posted by: TippyCanoe | December 23, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

What's Teix's e-mail. We should send him the two transcripts side by side.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 23, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Nats fans, he's signing with Baltimore: 7 years 151 mill OR 8 Years 182 mill. (opt out after 4). It is not being reported, but it will be announced later, trust me.

Posted by: cj658 | December 23, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

OK, dude. I trust you. Thanks for the super secret inside info.

Posted by: Zornado | December 23, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

That one guy makes a good point vis-a-vis Jason Varitek.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 23, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Sawx fans talking smack about a 100+ loss team, way to take it out on us, a$$ clowns. Now wonder everyone hates them more than the Yankees now. Go Rays!

Posted by: Kev29 | December 23, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

...in other news, we should see an increase in Nats news in this paper soon:

Washington Post and Baltimore Sun to share content:

Posted by: ihatewalks | December 23, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of the Spankees, WTOP sez that they are now in deep negotiations with Teix.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Yankees ramping up negotiations only means they heard somehow he chose Boston.

I'd bet my 20-game plan that he chose Boston but Boras had to make that one last phone call, "Last chance before we sign Boston..." and the Yankees bit. Suckers.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

IHW's link didn't work for my but Google brought up this:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, that makes sense. They have ahuge hold at first, and need for left handed power. I suppose the only real reason we should be surprised is that they stayed out this long.

Slap in the face to the Sox if he goes there though.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 23, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I meant to type "me" not "my" but. Heh.

I'll bet you're right re. the Yanks, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Complementary Potter/Steinbrenner-related quote o' the day:

"I know very well what you’re talking about. You’re talking about something you can’t get your fingers on, and it’s galling you."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Or the Yankees interest is just a ploy by Boras to get the Red Sox to top the Nats offer, and accept the terms he laid out last Thursday.

Posted by: psubman | December 23, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

WTOP's source was evidently Heyman (and it was deep "discussions" as opposed to "negotiations" [or thoughts]):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: psubman | December 23, 2008 2:58 PM

I'll be happy with that. As long as the Nats spend some money elsewhere and the bidding helps with Strasburg negotiations.

Posted by: Kev29 | December 23, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

maybe it's a ploy by SI to increase site traffic...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

If he doesn't sign with the Nats, I hope the Yankees get him.

(I can't believe I just said that.)

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 23, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

either one is fine with me. As long as he's not in the National league, or NL East for that matter.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox. Now I truly know what it feels like to be a baseball fan. I pray we become a "have" within my life time. Cause it sucks to be a "have not"...

Posted by: Berndaddy | December 23, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

berndaddy,

nah, savor this. it's what makes the win without him more delicious.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Nats' offer became public knowledge just one day before the expected announcement. Throughout the negotiations, no news has been good news. If we're seeing numbers now, it's because they weren't enough to land Teixeira.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 23, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

FYI, Heyman's article on SI now says "Yanks on the verge of signing Tex."

Anybody want to do a quick luxury tax calculation on $184 million? It will make me feel better. Jeesh.

Shoulda seen this coming - did you all see the thing about why Tex wears #23? Mattingly.

Posted by: Highway295Revisited | December 23, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

ESPN radio just announced that Buster Olney says Tex has agreed to sign with the Yankees. No terms or details available.

So take it for what it's worth.

I'm gonna have a drink.

Posted by: sec307 | December 23, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

move this thread to BI.

I thought there was no way I'd be rooting against him next year. No Festivus miracle.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 23, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | December 23, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Tex is a Yankee

Yankees Sign Mark Teixeira
By Tim Dierkes [December 23 at 2:26pm CST]
2:26pm: Buster Olney says they've reached an agreement on an eight-year deal worth more than $170MM.

2:17pm: According to Jon Heyman, the Yankees are on the verge of signing Mark Teixeira to an eight-year, $180MM deal with a full no-trade clause.

Posted by: FloresFan | December 23, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Tex to the Yankees. 8/170.

so he took less money to play for the Yanks.

I'm not disappointed in the Lerners one bit. they made the commitment they needed to.

now we need to turn around and make an immediate offer to Adam Dunn.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 23, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

This is why everybody hates the Yankees. Letting him get away for that much is acceptable, but if the Lerner's don't sign Strasburg I am seriously done with this franchise.

Posted by: dcsportsfan13 | December 23, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

7/170 per Olney. Wow were those numbers BS

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 23, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. Excellent, excellent work, Lerners. No resentment whatsoever from me.

And welcome to the Boras and Yankee haters club.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Correction - 8/170. $21.25m AAV, 2d most for a position player, but less total dollars than Jeter (egos must be managed).

Not a bad signing for their budget. Please eat many cheetos and sit on your duff in the offseason.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 23, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

The Lerners did well here. They made a great offer. We never hysterical, and didn't make constant press releases. They did all they could.

Now get a good deal done.

Sign Dunn, get Gonzalez (or someone like him) and get a pitcher.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 23, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

SI is reporting 8/180. If it's really 170 and the Nats' offer was ~180, then what's going on? Forget hometown discount, he wanted a hometown premium....

Posted by: Good2bOK | December 23, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I applaud the Lerners for their effort. They showed a lot, but I honestly won't be happy unless they sign Dunn and O.Hudson, and make a trade.

Posted by: FloresFan | December 23, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm about to throw up. Tex can kiss my backside.

Hopefully, the Nats will look to spend some money elsewhere although; I'm not going to hold my breath.

Posted by: Section505203 | December 23, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Oh, well. We'd better at least get Dunn. Good work, Lerners and Kasten. You gave it a real try, and hopefully all of baseball will take you more seriously now.

Lerners aren't cheap.

I didn't need additional reasons to hate the Yankees. Now I can root against Texeira wholeheartedly.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | December 23, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

F*** the Yankees. See you all in April...

Posted by: BGinVA | December 23, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

It is being reported that the Yankees got him for 170mm. It appears the Nats offered more so were just a pawn. If ids fun being a havenot. The Sox offered the same as the Yanks. Looks like Tex is till pissed at Boston . In the case of the Yankees it is getting a little stupid. Even though they are playing by the rules it is bordering on the absurd. BTW in a post last week I reported on an interview I heard with Cashman on WFAN. He basically said that the Yankees we going to be involved.

Posted by: mjames0 | December 23, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I hope the yankees choke next year. Nothing would bring me more pleasure. AJ/CC/TEX come on baseball!!!

Posted by: Berndaddy | December 23, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I have a feeling the flood gates will open all over mlb now, negotiating and trading and signing. Should get even more interesting now.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, NYY now have the FOUR highest-paid players in baseball on their team. Seems fair.

Posted by: hokieg35 | December 23, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I feel that Hudson's best days are behind him and I have always felt that Dunn is a waste (not a waste, but overrated). Before Teixeira-mania gripped our city, there were rumors of trying to trade for Prince Fielder. That's the direction I would go in. Forget Dunn - as has been pointed out, his power numbers aren't so spectacular once he leaves Cincy.

I'd rather have Manny than Dunn.

Posted by: sec307 | December 23, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Everything you need to know is found in the ESPN story's last graph:

"The agreement with Teixeira gives New York the four highest-paid players in baseball -- third baseman Alex Rodriguez, shortstop Derek Jeter, Sabathia and Texiera."

Yuck.

Posted by: Bethesdangit | December 23, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

new post. Chico posting from another news source about what we already know.

Posted by: NatsNut | December 23, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

What I had heard on WEEI in Boston was that the Nats went long - 9/180 - while the Sox were around 8/170. Thus it was AAV vs. total $$. As I'm reading this, Olney says the Yanks went 8/180, or $23.5m /yr. Most $$, highest AAV for the NYY.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 23, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

A hearty Bronx cheer for the d*mned Yankees. PLLLLPPPP!!!

At least the Lerners showed that they are willing to spend on the right piece. Perhaps they also earned a bit of respect in the baseball community outside of Washington. Wonder how the dealings with Borat, uh, Boras might affect Strasburg negotiations down the road (assuming that he does end up as #1).

I think you're right on the potential for a pick up in activity, NatsNut.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 23, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I do agree that the Lerners made a helluva effort here.

However, it doesn't mean a damn thing if they don't spend some money on someone else. If you were going to spend 180 million on one guy then spend at least 100 million on 2-3 others that can be shoehorned into the plan.

Posted by: Section505203 | December 23, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Until the Lerners bring in some other big salaried player, I am not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I would not put it past them to have gone after Teixeira knowing that he wouldn't come here. After all, these are the same owners who wouldn't sign our first round draft pick in a dispute which amounted to chump change. Similarly, they have to date refused to spend any money on even mid-level free agents despite the revenues from a new stadium which was given to them on a silver platter.

I hope I'm wrong but, so far, the Lerners haven't given back to the city anywhere near what the city has given to them.

Posted by: davep1 | December 23, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

They knew he wasn't coming here, given this team's reputation, without making a pre-emptive, you can't risk turning this down offer. Look at how the O's used to make top offer after top offers to FAs. Ask yourself -- if the money's the same, do YOU want to play for the Nats or the Yankees? I hate the Yankees and _I_ would go with NYY.

They SHOULD have given that pitcher the extra cash. it's set their reputation as cheap within the baseball world and they'll be a long time living that down.

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 23, 2008 6:26 PM | Report abuse