Kasten Endorses Beeston

The Toronto Sun reports that Stan Kasten endorses Paul Beeston for the Jays job. Short item...

By Tracee Hamilton  |  December 9, 2008; 8:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wrapping Up Day One
Next: Waiting For Boras

Comments

Where's JayBeeeee now to stand by his prediction that Kasten will be gone from the Nationals by Spring Training?

Posted by: raykingsgutfeeling2 | December 9, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Keeping Kasten would be a huge boost for the Nats' future.

Kasten is the only one in this organization who could encourage this ownership to adhere to the Plan. This means top budgets for draftees and international bonuses, and trading for young players, even if they add salary. It could also mean locking up Zim long term. It could even mean adding a young free agent or two.

If Kasten leaves, who could stand up to this ownership? Kasten is the Nats' only credibility at this point. He has a superb baseball mind, a focus on the future, and is willing to spend prudently. If Kasten is allowed to pursue the Plan, the Nats will get back on target for sure.

Posted by: EdDC | December 9, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

finally. can we FINALLY put this ridiculousness to bed?

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | December 9, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Suddenly Teix becomes the second most important signing of the summer right behind Stan. This would be a huge blow if he goes. Jim Bowden sailing the ship by himself. Ye Gods won't someone think of the children.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 9, 2008 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Kasten is going nowhere. First, he's not just an employee, he's a part of the ownership group. Second, rumors of his happiness aside, he is architect and director of The Plan. Whether you agree with The Plan or not, I've ssen nothing that seems to indicate a deviation from it. Being discontent or unhappy in your job from time to time does not mean your leaving. If it did, we'd probably all be unemployed.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 9, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

It's 9:00 a.m. in Vegas. Sheinin is now $31.25 fuller and $3.95 more refreshed. Futures betting has been reeled in, and the high rollers are sleeping in their complimentary rooms.

Can something happen already?

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 9, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Natsbisquit,

Loved your summary of the Nats state of being in the last post. Nothing about them is simple or one sided.

EdDc,

Do you know any more about the state of mind of our third baseman than the rest of us? It seems to me he has not commented on any part of the negotiation on his contract in a specific way. He has not mentioned anything about low ball offers or his own demands. The only generality that think is relevant is that he said he would like to see the team move forward in terms of personnel on the field, which seems to me to be what anyone on the Nats desires. To the best of my knowledge he is letting his agent get for him the best deal that he can while he concentrates on other matters. If his agent thought that last year or this winter is not the best time to earnestly negotiate then Zimmerman seems ok with that. I am sure that Zimmerman hopes that next season will be a season where he realizes his potential as a hitter, and where he can establish his market value. If he has another subpar year then ownership has a better idea of what they have. If he does great they will have to pay more. It seems simple to me. There are risks to both sides at this point.

Posted by: driley | December 9, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I would have thought that it is not really in Zimmermans interest to negotiate now. Last season was still quite up and down for him, and he may want to prove that he actually has Face-O-the-Franchise ability before entering negotiations. Right now the Nat's would have a strong case that he is not much more than a decent third baseman with plus defence and below average power. I think he knows he can improve and isn't going to rush negotiations until he's had a break out year.

But I too know nothing of his state of mind because unlike Bowden he is a pro who keeps his mouth shut about business.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 9, 2008 12:12 PM | Report abuse

In his daydreams, Armchair GM Section 506 traveled to Vegas yesterday and managed to corner first baseman Mark Teixeira in an elevator as his faithful assistant lit Scott Boras's pants on fire to distract him. Here is a transcript of Mr. 6's pitch:

"Mark -- can, I call you Mark? -- Mr. Teixeira, I want you to sign with the Washington Nationals this year. You must know why you're the hottest commodity this year. You have a career .290 average, .378 on-base percentage, .541 slugging, never hit less than 25 home runs, and so on. You know that the Yankees and the Angels, not to mention the Sox and a myriad of other teams expect you're the right guy to give them that last umph to bring home a championship.

"But you don't know why I want you, because, to be honest, I could find someone else with a .290 average. Yeah, you know well I'm not winning a championship next year. You know I can afford to wait until you're the next generation's Julio Franco and sign you for bench depth in the twilight of your career, while tomorrow's Mark Teixeira lights up the Anacostia skyline.

"But the truth is, Mr. Teixeira, I don't want you to play first base. Heck, I've got a plethora of first baseman who I can pay peanuts and will think they're oil tycoons in comparison to their teammates.

"No, Mr. Teixeira, I want you for something else. You see, a ballclub is only as good as it can capture its city's imaginations, and I come from a city of overly cynical technocrats. Other than an at-most two month delusional love affair with a perpetually disappointing football team every year, my city can't imagine itself a winner.

"But my city is a winner. We have a winning plan to build a team the old fashioned way. We have a winning ballpark that attracts fans even in the muggiest, most miserable days of August. Most importantly, we have winning fans who beneath their aforementioned cynical technocrat exterior, are desperate to believe and cheer -- again.

"You see, Mr. Teixeira, I don't want you to play first base - I want you to play legend. The sort that every franchise needs to establish itself. I'll be happy to have your face on our scoreboard, but I really want your likeness in bronze in front of the stadium. I want your leadership, I want your example, I want your good looks and your public persona. I want your home town charm and your community charity.

"We brought a team back to DC four years ago, but you're the right man to bring baseball back to DC. I understand if New York or Los Angeles or Boston is offering you a pennant. I can only offer you a promise for the future, like the Rays of 2004. But I can offer you an immortality that no other team in baseball can give you. To be the first of the new Washington legends."

Posted by: Section506 | December 9, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Spring Training Starts in Feb not Dec....we shall see.....Kasten has time still and I would not expect him say bad stuff about his friend........I stand by my prediction.

Posted by: JayBeee | December 9, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Zimmerman was quoted on this blog as saying he and his agent have heard nothing from the Nats. Signing him can be done but you first have to try. The Nats should assume Zim is a good player and sign him before he has a great year and "wants too much."

Actually, the Nats should have jumped all over Zim when he was in his first year or two, like the Brewers and Rays did with Braun and Longoria. They all get hardened to the business end of baseball after awhile.

Who knows what Zim's "state of mind" is? You first have to try to sign him, and then you know his state of mind.

Posted by: EdDC | December 9, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Zimm has said, more than any player or person in the organization, that the Nats have GOT to bring a big bat in during the off-season. What he's really saying is if the Nats torture him through another 100-loss season, he's leaving Washington.

Posted by: WisdomVision | December 9, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse