Larkin's New Gig

Sheinin got a tip today that Barry Larkin -- previously a resident of the Nats front office -- is about to take an analyst job with the MLB Network, which is launching in the new year. When I called Larkin today, he confirmed that he's likely to take the job, though nothing yet is official. He added that he had been offered a "substantial job in the [Washington] organization," but declined because he didn't feel ready to make the time commitment -- especially with a young family.

"I was appreciative, and if it was a different time in my life with my kids, I would have jumped at it," Larkin said.

Larkin had been with the Nationals since 2005 as a special assistant to GM Jim Bowden. Speaking by phone today, Larkin said that his new job will require a transition. Sure, he'll still get to start his February with spring training -- but this time, he won't be part of a team. The network plans to have him cover the World Baseball Classic this spring as well.

"I've never been not with a particular organization," Larkin said. "Being with MLB is still part of the industry - but not specifically with one organization. And it's a different thing for me."

By Chico Harlan  |  December 22, 2008; 6:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sweep. Four Games. "See Ya."
Next: Report Says Nats Have Upgraded Their Offer

Comments

Re-posted from prior string

Speaking of the up coming holiday, is it too late to put in my X-mas wish list?

#1) May the Teixeira saga wrap up quickly, one way or the other.
#2) May MASN turn MASN-2 over to the Nationals.
#3) May the Nationals get a good radio package for 2009 & beyond.
#4) May all of you out there in planet NJ have a wonderful holiday, and a safe, healthy & happy New Year!

Posted by: BinM | December 22, 2008 6:18 PM
-------------------------------------------
To Barry (Larkin, not Svrluga) - good luck & best wishes on the new gig.

Posted by: BinM | December 22, 2008 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I'll be sorry to see Larkin go, but my best wishes to him on the transition.

I like your wish list, BinM, and right back at you on the well wishes for NJ denizens.

In other news (and it's even baseball-related ;-)), MLB Network will air Don Larsen's perfect game on January 1. Now if only Santa would bring me cable tv...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 22, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Oh, I forgot the bonus round Nats connection. On our postseason tour of Nats Park we saw Shirley Povich's completed score sheet from that game (as mentioned before, my husband and I really enjoyed the tour and highly recommend it to others).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 22, 2008 8:21 PM | Report abuse

This from MASN (yes MASN breaking news on the Nationals!!!):

The Nationals may have taken the lead!
By Roch Kubatko on December 22, 2008 7:48 PM

According to multiple sources, the Washington Nationals have sweetened their proposal to first baseman Mark Teixeira, offering him an eight-year deal worth $178 to $184 million.

The Nats were believed to have an eight-year, $160 million offer on the table. They apparently have increased the total value, putting them ahead of the other contenders, based on the numbers that have been reported.

I'm also told that they're willing to go nine years - and there's been talk of 10 - which could be one reason why agent Scott Boras is dragging along negotiations. He's also trying to get the Red Sox back in the game and see if the Yankees and Orioles will react.

So just how flexible is that Orioles offer?

So Chico, get on it. MASN?

Posted by: natbisquit | December 22, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Dang, natbisquit, just when I was resigning myself to the inevitable...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 22, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

More deep breaths. Stay cool, staaaaay cool.

Posted by: joemktg1 | December 22, 2008 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Having seen the news on MASN, it suddenly occured to me that the NATS sigining Teixeira would be a great move for MASN. Angleos benefits more than anyone if Teixeira signs with the Nats. The net gain from improved network ratings and advertising dollars would be of greater benefit to Angelos than signing Tex for his own team. No cost from his own wallet, but all the benefit of a star player for his network.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 22, 2008 8:47 PM | Report abuse

@natbisquit

I bet poor Roch had tears in his eyes when he posted for MASN. LOL!

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 22, 2008 9:02 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

@natbisquit: That's thought is just... well, cheap & money-grubbing & sleazy & self-serving & ... wait a minute, a lawyer owns MASN.

BRILLIANT!!

Posted by: BinM | December 22, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Santa! I'm over here!!! Santa! All I want for Christmas is Mark Teixeira in a Nationals uniform for the next 10 seasons!

Posted by: Keenan1 | December 22, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

I just saw the MASN website for the first time and the Nats get as short-sheeted on the web as they do on Mr. Angelos Screws the Nats broadcast venture.

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 22, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

We've been here before guys.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 22, 2008 9:35 PM | Report abuse

MLB.com, citing a report from the DR, says the Yankees are in serious negotiations with Manny. Manny is said to be waiting for Tex to sign before he will--sometime next week, according to the story.
getting closer ...

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 22, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

I posted the comment below on Roch Kubatko's blog at MASN and got a prompt and courteous reply. I'm one of the Nats Journal faithful, but based on the response from Roch I note two things - one he seems willing to cover the Nats more than he has, and he is very interactive. Perhaps we can start a small revolution and force a little more Nats attention out of MASN but tapping into his blog from time to time...

NatBisquit said:
Roch,

A serious question as I have long admired your work:

Now that you work for MASN, are you assigned to report on the Orioles, both the Orioles and the Nats, or MLB in general? And as a follow up, is the fact that MASN on-air and web coverage is heavily slanted towards the Orioles over the Nats a matter of the Nats not buying time/programming, or some other factor?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MASN wanted me to bring my blog at The Sun to their Web site. It's always been heavy on Orioles, but I am free to write whatever I want. It just seems like the Orioles draw the most interest. I go to some Ravens home games, but Dan Kolko is all over that beat. I know MASN is trying to do more with the Nats (hence Phil Wood's presence on the Hot Stove Show). I don't know all the inner-workings because, honestly, I don't need to. Just taking care of my little area here. And if they want me to talk about the Nats on the air, I'll happily do it. - Roch

December 22, 2008 9:28 PM

Posted by: natbisquit | December 22, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

I blasted Roch for the alleged "joint" Hot Stove Show on MASN last weekend. They spent an entire segment discussing Tex's chances of signing with the Orioles, with only Phil Wood even acknowledging that the Nationals were in the game at all. Then the next segment there were two Oriole player call in's. Finally, in the last segment, Randy St. Claire called in. Roch's first question was to ask him about Tim Redding because the Orioles were interested in Redding and he wanted the Orioles fans to know what kind of pitcher they might be getting. This was within two minutes of St. Claire stating he hoped Redding returned to the Nationals. Then Roch followed up with several questions about Garrett Olson, another Oriole pitcher.

Roch does his job as an Orioles beat reporter, but MASN advertsing this Hot Stove Show as a 'joint' venture is simply a complete fabrication. And Roch shamelessly spits in the face of that notion (and on Nats fans hoping for just a few minutes of Nats talk in December) with his content on that show.

What I'm wondering is how Roch knows the Nats sweetened their offer and no one from the Nats end (Ladson, Chico, etc.) had this info.

Posted by: raymitten | December 22, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Probably raymitten, because Boras is using misinformation to see how high he can get the New Boston Yankee-Sox to go.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 22, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Roch's source was my 4:45 PM comment on the previous Balester post.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 22, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

I bet the Yankees will stay out of the Tex saga. ESPN reports that the Bronx Bombers got a Christmas gift from Mr. Selig: a luxury tax bill for $26.9 million! (the only other team to get a bill was Detroit). All the people who want to see Tex in pinstripes keep bringing up the fact that the Yankees have lowered their payroll since last year, even with the quarter of a billion dollars worth of contracts for CC and AJ. Well, writing a $27 million check to MLB would make me consider cutting payroll too...

Posted by: BGinVA | December 22, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Random Facts:

Only 11 players had more hits than Christian Guzman last year.

Adam Dunn led the majors in walks last year with 122. Teixeira was 8th with 97. Dukes and Harris led the Nationals with 50 each. Willingham had 48.

Of palyers with 300 plate appearnaces or more, Chipper Jones led the league with an OBP of .470. Tex was 7th at .410. Dukes was 22nd at .386. Dunn was also at .386.

Dukes also led the team with .476 SLG. and .864 OPS. Willingham was at .833 OPS.

The 3rd, 4th, 9th, and 20th best OPS last year belonged to Manny, Bradley, Teixeira, and Dunn -- all still on the market.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 22, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

"He added that he had been offered a "substantial job in the [Washington] organization," but declined because he didn't feel ready to make the time commitment -- especially with a young family."

Hmmmm...what was it? Starting shortstop? Bowden's wet dream.

Posted by: jctichen | December 23, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse