Morning in Vegas

It's just after 9 a.m. here at the Bellagio. The blackjack tables are packed, the night owls are starting to ooze back in from the nightlife circuit, and my room service continental breakfast of muffin, criossant, orange juice and coffee cost $30.25, with tip. This is going to be an interesting week.

A new twist this year: A lot of players apparently are making appearances at the meetings, giving them the opportunity to meet face-to-face with teams. (The Mets, for example, dined last night with closer Francisco Rodriguez.) I'm assuming this has more to do with the locale than with the cordiality. People, especially those with a lot of money, apparently like this place. I doubt we'll see the same thing next year in Indianapolis.

I know everyone is itching for news. Be patient. Things will get cooking later today, and most likely build to a crescendo by Wednesday. I'll be blogging as frequently as possible -- both here (for Nationals news) at NJ and (for non-Nationals nuggets) at Baseball Insider. I'm scheduled to meet with Jim Bowden tonight at 5 p.m. Vegas time (8 p.m. in Washington), so I should have an extensive post late tonight, and of course a full account in the print edition tomorrow morning.

Now, let's go stir it up...

By Dave Sheinin  |  December 8, 2008; 11:58 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let the Meetings Begin! Please!
Next: Since You Asked...

Comments

Is anyone twittering/tweeting from the Winter Meetings?

Posted by: joemktg1 | December 8, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I do find it a little odd that the Winter Meetings are in Vegas.

Sure, it's not like the Pete Rose thing happened yesterday, but I always thought baseball would steer away from that city as long as Selig was at the helm.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 8, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember talk of the Expos moving there before they eventually decided on DC.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 8, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I remember that, too. But I also remember people saying it'd never happen as long as Selig was commish.

And if the Post is paying $30.25 for Sheinin's breakfast, that'd explain why Chico's not headed out there. They can't afford it!

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 8, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

It's been my experience that most of the rumors that bounce around the winter meetings all week hardly ever happen. The deal that brought us Soriano was hinted at only a couple of hours before the news confence. Same with the Elijah Dukes deal -- totally out of the blue.

Regarding Texiera (what, $18 million a year?), I'd much rather spend that on Dunn ($12 million maybe? and a quality starter @ $6-8 million). Dunn will do a few more things to get the Nationals a few more wins, but Dunn AND a above-average starter will do more combined that Texiera could do.

We'll see ....

Posted by: rushfari | December 8, 2008 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Jeeves, I take it as a compliment that you guessed Flynnie, for his enthusiasm and knowledge, but it is actually the notorious Poster to be Named Later (PTBNL).

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 8, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

"If Chico is not even at the Winter Meetings, I've got to wonder what is going on."

If you happened to read Boswell's Redskins column this morning - which was surprisingly coherent and entirely free from typical "raw" Boswell spelling and grammar miscues (which are supremely evident in every one of his totally unedited chats) - and reflect on the fact that the game he was writing about didn't end until almost midnight, you'd have to realize that considerable editorial firepower was expended on it to clean it up between the time he filed it and the time today's paper went to bed early this morning. Given that much of the Post's staff of copy editors took the recent buyout, perhaps they've pulled Chico in to help with copy-editing on the Redskins beat. That IS the Post's flagship content after all.

Posted by: raykingsgutfeeling2 | December 8, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse