Nats, Cabrera Agree To Deal

Starting pitcher Daniel Cabrera, 27, has agreed today to a one-year contract with the Nationals, pending a physical, multiple sources said. Cabrera will likely take the starting rotation spot held last year by Tim Redding, non-tendered by the club earlier this month.

Club spokesman Mike Gazda would neither confirm nor deny the signing, and General Manager Jim Bowden declined to comment.

Cabrera, a 6-foot-9, 269-pound right-hander, spent his first five seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, compiling a 48-59 record and a 5.05 ERA. Arbitration-eligible after a 2008 season in which he finished 8-10 with 5.25 ERA in 30 starts, Cabrera was non-tendered by Baltimore on December 12. His tenure with the Orioles produced a mixed track record. He dazzled in spurts, but often was undone by wildness. No American League pitcher in 2008 threw more wild pitches or hit more batters.

Cabrera ended his most recent season on the disabled list; he was shut down after his Sept. 13 start because of elbow pain. But the injury -- a right medial elbow sprain -- required no surgery.

With the Cabrera signing, the Nationals have now used the offseason to add two starting pitchers. The team acquired Scott Olsen in a Nov. 11 trade with Florida.

By Chico Harlan  |  December 20, 2008; 5:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Willie Thinks
Next: Angels Reportedly Withdraw From Tex Derby

Comments

Re-posted from previous string
-------------------------------------------

Cabrera - really? Is that a step in a positive direction? he brings nothing to this team excepting another "head-case" for St.Clair to work with.
He can't give the pups in the rotaion anything except how to sulk on the bench - they already know how to throw 90+ pitches over 5 innings & lose.
IMO, not a good signing, but we'll see.

Posted by: BinM | December 20, 2008 5:03 PM

Posted by: BinM | December 20, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Another re-posted grovel to the WaPo
-------------------------------------------

Mr. Harlan (if you're out there) - If you could, please look into & report on the off-season status (health) for players such as Shaun Hill, Wily Mo Pena, Matt Chico, et al. Also, come February & March, some interviews / "non-paper" stuff with some of the MiL guys in SP would be cool as well.
It would give the faithful in NJ a taste of what may come...

Posted by: BinM | December 20, 2008 5:41 PM

Posted by: BinM | December 20, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Cabrera is a step in the right direction for the Nats. He is a young guy with a ton of major league experience and some serious up-side. Even though he hasn't reached the potential everybody in Baltimore thought he had, maybe a move down I-95 will do the trick. Moving out of Camden Yards should be good news for any pitcher.

Posted by: SpashCity | December 20, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

He's basically just a higher risk, higher return Odalis Perez. Good to take a risk on, given what is out there.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 20, 2008 6:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm happy about this, even if its just for the opportunity to watch Daniel try to bat on a regular basis. I really hope he starts to live up his potential here. Godspeed, Randy St. Claire.

Posted by: ac42 | December 20, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

I like this signing. A change of scenery can't hurt Cabrera, he's young, he's got experience, he's got the tools to be effective and dominate at times. We've got St. Clair (long live the Saint)who can only help him. I'm a fan of this signing, maybe he begins to reach his potential with us this year...now if Tex would hurry up and sign with us, my Christmas list will be complete!

Posted by: reverendnat | December 20, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I apologize to St. Claire for spelling his name wrong...I am embarassed!

Posted by: reverendnat | December 20, 2008 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice signing. He's got the potential to be good; might as well let Randy St. Claire take a crack at him.

Posted by: Tank2 | December 20, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

sound:
Depends on how much the Nats' pay for him - O. Perez was a LHSP @$1.6M for 2008, Cabrera is younger, taller & a RHSP @$?? for 2009.
Could be good, will most likely be horrible - rather wish the FO had laid back & looked at some proven #1SP's instead.

Posted by: BinM | December 20, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Even if Cabrera does nothing else, it'll be a joy just to see him drill Chase Utley.

Posted by: pacybara | December 20, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness yes this is a good signing. Even if he does not work out, he has potential. I heard Leo Mazone being interviewed on XM a few weeks ago when the O's non-tendered Cabrera. Leo's take was essentially that the O's had ruined him by teaching him a new pitch and making him focus on it (I think it was the sinker). Leo maintained that Daniel's arm was far too live and his fastball far too good for him to be working off any other pitch. He also pointed out that Cabrera had never played baseball until late in his teens. He never payed another position other than Pitcher. And as a result he has not yet learned how to pitch to his fielder's strengths. He also said Cabrera is completely clueless as a hitter, so Bergmann is no longer the worst hitter on the team. (yikes). But, bottom line for Mazonne was that Cabrerra was healthy, capable, and raw. The O's could not afford to wait given that Cabrera was arbitration eligable. Cabrera could easily put up 200 innings with sub 5.00 ERA. But the Nats will need to teach him a few things (hit, run, pitch) before he can become a complete pitcher.

Note: The Nats need to focus on having all their pitchers hit, bunt, field, and run. It appears to me that after Frank Robinson left, the focus on these things tailed off a little. Maybe its just that the talent tailed off, but either way there is a significant need and a lot to be gained by focusing on the fundamentals.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 20, 2008 6:59 PM | Report abuse

A number of the NJ faithful are voicing the opinion that St.Claire can "make Cabrera right" - People, he's already got Matt Chico & Shaun Hill (both injured & needing extra work), Jason Bergmann, Terrell Young, Saul Rivera, & Joel Hanrahan (healthy, but needing attention), and the rest of the staff to do mechanics checks on. He's a Pitching Coach, not a miracle worker.

Posted by: BinM | December 20, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

BinM, Chico's return to the high leg kick transformed him from a serviceable starter of 2007 into a madman in 2008. Get rid of it again, and I think there will be needed improvement. Hill is going to be Pattersoned. Moan!

Your larger point that he has many pitchers to work with is spot on. I guess we are all taking him for granted, since the last two years he has been a miracle worker, not a pitching coach. Captain.

Posted by: Section506 | December 20, 2008 7:27 PM | Report abuse

This from the Baltimore Sun:

If you're waiting for me to bash Daniel Cabrera, you're going to be disappointed. I think he'll be fine with the Nats, who reportedly signed him to a one-year contract this weekend. You can lop a half-run off his ERA with the move to the National League and he suddenly looks a lot like Tim Redding, except with a Curt Schilling's-worth of untappable talent.

The thing that I'm happiest about, however, is the fact that we'll get to see him all spring. I'm guessing he pitches against the Orioles once or twice during the exhibition season, which should be entertaining. The O's and Nationals play each other six times during the preseason, including back-to-back games in Norfolk and Washington, D.C. the weekend before Opening Day.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 20, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Every time I have had the opportunity to watch Cabrera live, he has thrown a wild pitch. It's just a little personal, anecdotal evidence to back up the assertion that the guy has control issues.

I was wondering which pitcher might lose his slot to Strasburg if he signs early and gets the callup. Right now, my money's on Cabrera.

Still, I don't dislike the signing. It's likely not an expensive one, and he's young enough that the prospect of him straightening himself out isn't absurd. I'll reserve judgment. For now.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 20, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

sound:

Posted by: BinM | December 20, 2008 6:41 PM
-----------
According to Sportsline.com, Cabrera signed for $2.6M. This is not comparable to the signings of Lo Duca, Estrada, etc. of last season, so I do see this as a step in the right direction...

Posted by: -CN- | December 20, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

You can't teach 95 mph. You can teach a lot of things, but that isn't one of them.

Posted by: Brue | December 20, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

From the Baltimore Sun again:

Cabrera, who wasn't tendered a contract by the Orioles last week, has signed a one-year, $2.6 million deal with the Washington Nationals, pending a physical, according to an industry source.

The Orioles would have had to pay him likely between $3 and $4 million in 2009 had they offered him arbitration....

Posted by: natbisquit | December 20, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Another note, Cabrera's era was 4.57 on July 19, but ballooned to 5.25 after several more starts before being shut down, as C Harlan noted. If his shoulder is healthy, a sub-4.50 ERA is definitely within expectations with the potential to be much better. This signing was for pitching, not for a platoon 1B (Meat-hook) or backup catchers...

Posted by: -CN- | December 20, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

At first blush, I didn't like this trade (essentially Tim Redding for Daniel Cabrera), especially if Redding signs with the Orioles.

However, I like it now that I've had time to think about it.

1) Redding had reached his ceiling while Cabrera - while he has driven his coaches crazy - still has some pretty good upside.

2) His career 5.05 ERA is an American League number. If he pitches as well for the Nationals, it's closer to 4.40 or 4.50, much better than Tim Redding.

The deal seems plausible.

Posted by: rushfari | December 20, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Great, now I can't get the Troggs song out of my head. Maybe Charlie Sheen could do a MASN promo this spring. I trust in the Saint.

In other news, Lyle Spencer and Biff Bobson have an interesting spin on "you know who."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 20, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

p.s. Was it Cabrera who used to wear goggles and then stopped after Lasik surgery?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 20, 2008 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey, we got rid of Colome, so we needed someone who we can count on for a wild pitch in each appearance. Seriously, though, this should be a good signing and I'm glad for some non-Teixeira news for once...

Posted by: BGinVA | December 20, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

repost from previous threats (sorry):
No doubt, we've all seen Cabrera pitch, and the raw talent surely is there, but he's had five years to get it together yet hasn't done it. I wouldn't bet on him in the rotation -- Bergmann, for goodness sake, has had better stretches of success. But Cabrera as a closer? Oh, man, my heart couldn't take it.

Posted by: nats24 | December 21, 2008 1:22 AM | Report abuse

So, an alleged head-case, high-potential low-achiever, at a discount. If he only played LF, he'd be a classic Bowden signing.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying.

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 21, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

From the previous thread, wherein Willie Harris said Tex's professionalism reminds him of Aaron Boone, that reminds me: AB signed with Houston this past week.

We're gonna need another new euphemism.

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 21, 2008 6:32 AM | Report abuse

Boone story, from the Chronicle: http://tinyurl.com/9qsppf

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 21, 2008 6:33 AM | Report abuse

Traveler noted that as well, CE, but we haven't yet come up with one (Scott Boras got a nod, though).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Verrrrrry Interesting move. I have to admit that this was way beyond the scope of my radar screen. I have to admit my bias--I would rather watch a 5.00 ERA pitcher who has a 95 mile fastball than a 5.00 ERA pitcher who does it with junk pitches. Throw in the odd wild pitch and it is just a lot more entertaining.

Posted by: driley | December 21, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a professional scout, so I have to consider these trades on a pretty superficial level. Just looking at ages, career ERA+ and WHIP, and innings pitched, I like the rotation changes so far.

Essentially, we got a 6-years-younger Odalis Perez in Scott Olsen, and a 3-years-younger Tim Redding in Daniel Cabrera. (Also, Cabrera appears to have more ... endurance? reliability? He's pitched a bunch more innings in his 5 years than Redding in his 7.)

If the only gain were the 3 and 6 years, it's an incremental boost to the long-term outlook. The hope, of course, is that these younger dudes can still learn something and end up a bit better. Now we're talking actual improvement.

Posted by: Scooter_ | December 21, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

And by "these trades," of course, I meant to say "these moves."

Posted by: Scooter_ | December 21, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back on the euphemism front, here's an idea. Why not go with a perennial, though not Nats-connected, candidate? I hereby nominate Bucky F. Dent (although jca may not be on board with the idea).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The bonus would be not having to choose a new candidate every time a player transaction takes place.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I am hoping that Ted springs for $195mm. I understand that is the number. You know I am thinking that if the Yankees believe that the Nats are going to win this then might stay on the sidelines. If they think Boston is going to get him then they jump in. If I am Lerner I give him$195mm with an opt out and limited no trade. Given him a limited time to accept.

You know what I find amazing is that Tex continues to let Boston embarrass him. They did it when they drafted him and Henry did it the other day.

Posted by: mjames0 | December 21, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Just noticed that Cameron Smith slipped in a Teix posting at Baseball Insider in the wee hours.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

NY area papers are reporting that Boras has contacted the Yankees. The only teams mentioned are Boston, Yankees and Angels. One might think this is rather insulting to the Nats. It might imply that Tex only wants to play for a winner. Location and money are secondary.

Maybe the Nats is the high bidder and Boras is trying to get these other teams back in it.

Posted by: mjames0 | December 21, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I kind of like the annual search for the most profane team member, 1a.

Posted by: Section506 | December 21, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm with 506 on the search for imaginative invective - someone, or some circumstance, will present itself that is specific to the Nats. In the meanwhile, [RF] and [AB] will still work.

Posted by: Traveler8 | December 21, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Fair enough, 506, and Traveler (I always liked [RF] best myself).

For mjames, here's a NY paper that doesn't ignore the Nats (not sure whether that's good or bad, though):

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I like the Cabrera signing, all in all, big improvement over Redding or Perez, makes for some insurance on the younger guys (do we really want to rely on Zimmermann just yet?) and on a one year deal there is minimal risk. He also might be ripe for a move to the bullpen if J-Zim, Balester & Stasburg pan out.

As for Teixeira, I still think we're getting the snow job. I believe we have the high bid, but Boras is working over the LAA, Sox and maybe Yankees to leave as few gross contract dollars "on the table" as possible

Posted by: estuartj | December 21, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

estuartj: If the rumour about Boras reaching out to the NYY is true, it fits his MO perfectly - negotiate with the teams that have the highest Q-factor, and only sign with a lower-tier club when the $$$ overwhelm everyone else.
The conversation probably went like this... "Brian, Scott here. Listen, I've got a pretty solid offer on the table from the folks in BOS - Just checking to see if your folks would want to make a counter. Umm, yeah - $195M is the target for us. Think it over & call me back Monday. Great, talk to you then."

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

The Baltimore Sun article asserted that you can lop a half point off his ERA as he transitions into the NL. I wonder if that number could further shrink by virtue of the fact he's out of the AL East specifically.

On the other hand, driley points out that he's pitched a ton of innings. I expect this number to go down. AL pitchers can stay in the game longer because they never have to be lifted for pinch hitters.

Point being, the stats won't tell the whole story on the guy.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 21, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

JiM - The telling stats, to me at least, are an adjusted W/K ratio of less than one (0.84), and a WHIP of 1.61. These are numbers from a 6'9" pitcher with a purported 95mph fastball? Yikes.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Well guys, it could be worse -- what if he was a failed former Reds prospect?

Posted by: BobLHead | December 21, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

BobL: You wouldn't be thinking of one Homer Bailey, now would you?

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Homer Bailey can throw hard too.

Posted by: Brue | December 21, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Homer Bailey can throw hard too.

Posted by: Brue | December 21, 2008 2:45 PM
-------------------------------------------
LOL
So can alot of guys we've never even heard of - that doesn't make them Major-League pitchers - Let's track the progress of the two Cricket players signed by PIT as a test case.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I've actually suggested trading for Homer Bailey so I would not be in position to criticize that. He's still only 23 and thus might be a different case.

Posted by: BobLHead | December 21, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hard throwers automatically move to the top of the pecking order in the Nats organization. It's just that we have so few.

Posted by: Brue | December 21, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

I would like to associate myself with the comments of my esteemed colleagues, 506 and Traveller. Half the fun is adding a new [RF]ing set every [AB]ing year, and keeping the old ones for specialized emphasis, and watching the usage differentiate. Well, if you're a linguist it is, anyhow. But it does have to have some connection, I think, both to the euphemized expression and the Nats, as with RF and AB. I concur with Traveller: Buddha will provide.

Buddha will *not* provide pitching, however. I don't mind them getting Cabrera on spec for St.C to work with, and if he gives them 200+ innings under 4.50, he'll have earned his spot, I think. Nobody is saying he's the next Randy Johnson. The next Livan Hernandez would be fine with me. The current one, bless him, not so much anymore.

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 21, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

from our good friend Buster Olney today: "Heard this from a party who has been in recent contact with the Nationals' front office: They absolutely do not expect to win the bidding for Mark Teixeira."

Posted by: BGinVA | December 21, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Brue - Not necessarily; see the case of Bergmann, J. as an example to the contrary.
All three players reportedly have a + fastball, with movement. Let's look at the numbers...
Bailey (1.0)/ Cabrera (0.84)= bad K/W; Bergmann (2.04)= decent K/W.
Bailey (1.80)/ Cabrera (1.61)= not-so-good WHIP; Bergmann (1.44)= decent WHIP.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Buster's comments...he talked to somebody who talked to somebody in the Nationals organization and it gets reported as news. Okay...not sure how valid those remarks really are. Look at the Red Sox: their OWNER comes out and directly says to the media they are no longer in the bidding for Tex, and everyone STILL thinks they'll land him. Like I said earlier, the only time we'll know something for certain is when the ink on the contract has dried. I still hope he signs here, but, regardless of where he signs, I wish he'd just do it already...

Posted by: BGinVA | December 21, 2008 3:48 PM | Report abuse

and if, as Chico quotes Boz, agents lie and owners collude, what do sportswriters do? They [speculate].

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 21, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

make that "sports columnists" as opposed to "sports journalists." Nothing personal, C.H.
------------

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 21, 2008 3:55 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 21, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

>Yet Bergmann has been moved to the bullpen, with an outside shot at a SP slot in 2009 - WTF?

His problem seems to center around the fact that he would either decide to use one pitch over another (breaking ball over fastball), or find out that one of them is working, and just pound that pitch. It's like he has tunnel vision about a particular pitch on a particular night. But he also threw under pressure last year because we never scored. Sometimes I really think that his motion was too long, and when he economized, he generally had excellent control. He's a big guy physically, and the smallest things in your motion can throw your momentum off by a lot. He'd be a great middle-man, a couple of times a week. He always seems more effective in more than just one inning.

I don't know - Hanrahan, Mock, Bergmann. It could be a lot worse. All three of them are power arms, Mock has a hard sinker when he's behind in the count.

Posted by: Brue | December 21, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

CEvansJr - The Nats' will be lucky to get a 28GS, 165IP, 5.10ERA season out of Cabrera in '09. Unless St. Claire, Flores & Nieves can get through to him better than Mazzone, J. Lopez & R. Hernandez could, it's going to be more of the same or worse.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Brue - I still think Bergmann deserves a solid shot at a SP job in '09. He can be a "head-case" (Redding alluded to this in an interview in 2008), but probably has the most overpowering 2-pitch combination (Fastball-hard curve/cutter) of anybody on the staff. If the Nats' move him to a RP role, he has to go in a LR/MR slot, where he has the chance to pitch twice a week, for more than 1 inning per appearance, imo.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

On another note, I don't usually go in for end zone theatrics but those Titans really punished that terrible towel (heh).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

1a1 - Fubball discourse in the NJ = bad form.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Bergmann's got great stuff most of the time. Starter's stuff. But he has too much time to think in between starts, and I don't think it's the best platform for his makeup. The randomness of his appearances in the bullpen, the fact that he has to be ready almost every day to pitch, it'll keep him out of his head. He can always step into the rotation if we need him, but maybe he should make his home in the bullpen.

Posted by: Brue | December 21, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps so, BinM, but it happens from time to time.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Brue: In thinking about it, why not? Picture a starting staff of Olsen, Cabrera, Lannan, Balestar & Hill/Clippard/J.Zimmermann and a bullpen of Estrada/Chico/Mock, Bergmann, Shell, Rivera, Hinckley, Hanrahan?
The team could do worse, I suppose.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

1a1: Unacceptable response (giggle) - [channeling darlek voice] MUST DESTROY 1a1; DES-TROY, DES-TROY!
Geeky, but fun nonetheless.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

The team could do worse, I suppose.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 4:35 PM
-------------------------------------------

Still, I'd rather see a "bona-fide" #1SP at the top (Lowe, Sheets, et al) of the order.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

@ BinM

Are you counting Terrell Young our Rule 5 draft pick out already? Which I don't necessarily disagree with I'm just not sure what to make of him.

Posted by: CluelessNatsFan | December 21, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

CNF - T. Young may be a find, but will likely be offered back to CIN for $25k, then purchased for assignment to HAR-AA or SYR-AAA. He's not going to make the cut unless he has a HUGE spring, and a number of MR/SU pitchers fail to perform.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

BinM, Dr. Who? That's good!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 6:10 PM | Report abuse

1a1 - Hoped you'd appreciate that, also rembering that the darleks never killed anyone of note over the long run.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Rosenthal now says that the Angels have withdrawn their offer to Teixera.

Posted by: BGinVA | December 21, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@BG: If true, then it comes down to the Orioles (7/140+ base), Nationals (8/$160 base), Red Sox (7-8/$174+ rumoured base), with Boras trying to leverage the NYY against BOS.
It all comes back to how much the Lerner's want him.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

>Rosenthal now says that the Angels have withdrawn their offer to Teixera.

Nice

Posted by: Brue | December 21, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Not so quick Brue - the Sawx probably still have the best offer on the table, with the NYY to counter over the weekend. The Nationals are down to short strokes in this one, but still behind.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Can someone explain to me why Teixeira is this valuable? I'm not switching sides here, I still think he would be a phenomenal building block for our team - a new DC sports legend with Frank Howard, Walter Johnson, and Josh Gibson. I just don't see what he brings to Boston that makes this pursuit so intense. I can even understand the Orioles' pursuit.

But what does Mark Teixeira bring to Boston that is deserving of the value they're looking to put into him?

You know what it is? It's Yankees-esque.

Posted by: Section506 | December 21, 2008 8:12 PM | Report abuse

New post (along the lines of what BG reported).

Does seem to smack of pinstripery, 506.

(I must confess that I had to Google the darleks, BinM.)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 21, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

NO NO NO! It's "Dalek" -- no R -- and "EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!"

And she's not wooly, she's WEARY.

I hate it when people get the words wrong!

**********
Geeky, but fun nonetheless.

Posted by: BinM | December 21, 2008 4:43 PM