Nats Release Spring Schedule [Updated]

The Nats have released their spring training schedule. I am hoping this is readable enough to get you by until we can get one all gussied up on the website. Click here for a gussied-up chart listing all the games.

Pitchers and catchers will report Feb. 14; position players will report the 17th. The first full-squad workout will be Feb. 19.

They play the usual suspects, minus the Dodgers, of course. More off-days than usual. And they have the now-traditional two-game series against the Team Who Must Not Be Named, but not in Baltimore.

Again, click here to get the entire spring training schedule.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  December 3, 2008; 3:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On Teixeira, Tangentially
Next: A Different Tex Take

Comments

Only three trips to Jupiter...

Posted by: Section506 | December 3, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

...the town, not the planet.

Posted by: PattyinSJ | December 3, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

"I don't think there are any Syms in VA"

There used to be one on Rt 7 in Seven Corners. Haven't been down that road in a while, though. Maybe it closed. And their commercials were all over local TV (especially late night) back in the day. Lately, maybe not so much. This one separates the true Washingtonians from the blow-ins, I guess.

Posted by: nunof1 | December 3, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

When do we get to play the big boys - Yankees, Boston - and teams like the Twins and the Rays?

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 3, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

In all the talk of Teixeira and Dunn we haven't heard boo about the rotation for next year.

I think 3 slots are pretty solid (baring further trades);

Lannan
Olsen
Balester

The other two slots have tons of options, Hill, Zimmermann, Martis, Redding, Clippard, O'Connor for guys under contract. What other FA options might we see (and I'm not counting guys like CC, Sheets, Lowe et al, but maybe O. Perez back and someone like Looper?

Thoughts?

Posted by: estuartj | December 3, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Throwing this out there just for fun ...

Sign Randy Johnson to a 1 year deal, with a team option for a second.

Posted by: erocks33 | December 3, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

"More off-days than usual." Well, when a team is this good, they don't need as much practice...

Posted by: mvm2 | December 3, 2008 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Funny that the ST schedule is out, because I just got a recognition from my supervisor today that included a gift card for...Panera!

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 3, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

estuartj, after reading about his possible discounted price over at Baseball Insider, I've thinking about how Looper could fit into this rotation.

At first, I didn't consider Balester a lock. But when I got to thinking about who would take his slot, I starting coming up with names like Hill, Bergmann, and Redding, and it's possible that none of these guys will be in the rotation (or even on the team).

Which brings me back to Looper. Couldn't he be something like Loaiza was for this team in 2005?

I still think they're content to have a Spring competition, though. They'll dabble in FA to try to get Teixeira, but that's about it.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 3, 2008 5:46 PM | Report abuse

hey guys, check out this article!

Posted by: fanzak1231 | December 3, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

hey guys, check out this article!

Posted by: fanzak1231 | December 3, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

So, who's Spring Training and who did we clear him from the 40-man to make room for?

Posted by: Section506 | December 3, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Sigh... undone by my own eagerness.

Who is Spring SCHEDULE...

Posted by: Section506 | December 3, 2008 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the gussied-up schedule, Tracee.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 3, 2008 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe that Acta (and maybe Bowden too?) made a point of saying that Balester was not necessarily in the rotation next year. I agree that Lannan and Olson are locks. Redding is probably in the rotation. If Perez will re-sign he is in the rotation, but I think he will have a better offer and take it. The Nats want Jordan Zimmermann to earn a spot. And perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I think the Nats will acquire another qualtiy starter before the season starts. So my prediction is Lannan, Olson, Redding, New Guy and either Balester or Zimmermann.

I don't know whether the Nats or Moyer have interest in the others, but Jamie Moyer would make an excellent player/coach for this team and he could eat up some innings. A one year deal from the Nats perspective might be attractive.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 3, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

506 - didn't get a chance to post earlier on NJ at work (no sign in button). Did you notice that 9 out of the top 10 fielding teams (by fielding %) had winning records? Makes you want to sign Nick Punto.

The Nats had 24 more errors than the NL average. On the bright side, that means we had almost 8 extra innings of baseball for free!

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 3, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

I did notice, indeed, and I also noticed that the teams that did the best in October had the best fielding. There might be something worth expounding on related the mental nature of both fielding and October.

Here's the statistical significance, though: if you have good fielding, you make it easier to get more runs than the other guy.

It's such a basic concept that I think we fans sometimes take it for granted. You can have a lot of errors and a ton of big hits or you can have few errors and few big hits. But you can't have lots of errors and a few big hits.

I like the fourth combination best, though: few errors and lots of big hits.

Posted by: Section506 | December 3, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I like your free baseball take on the errors!

I'm going to steal it.

Posted by: Section506 | December 3, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Okay, after this Khalil Greene thing I think it's time for us to ask ourselves: who can we trade to the Cardinals? They seem to be expressing interest in everyone.

Posted by: Section506 | December 4, 2008 7:39 AM | Report abuse

For those thinking about going down to ST you might want to check out Allegiant Air which has non-stop flights from Hagerstown,MD to Orlando for $69 each way. They only fly on Mondays and Fridays, but you won't find a cheaper way down there.

Posted by: Keenan1 | December 4, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse