Nats, Rockies Talk Trade?

Bill Ladson at mlb.com reports that the Rockies are interested in Tim Redding and the Nats want center fielder Carlos Gonzalez.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  December 9, 2008; 2:22 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Waiting For Boras
Next: Nats Working on Redding-Taveras Trade

Comments

I'm so glad to hear this as the Nats don't have nearly enough outfielders right now.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | December 9, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I think this might be alright, as long as we get Tex (or somebody) to offset the offensive learning curve of Gonzalez, get rid of a couple of other OF, and get a pitcher somewhere....

Would that trade be straight up?

Posted by: goexpos2 | December 9, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Having just posted my snark above, I want to ammend my comment. I know nothing about Gonzalez but if he is a left-handed, power hitter with above average fielding skills and can bat leadoff, then we could figure out what to do with the excess in the outfield.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | December 9, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Yes, please. Despite worries about his attitude, he's the kind of prospect the Nats should be interested in. They'd have to break up the OF logjam with a trade, though.

If they want to sign Dunn, they can't ship Kearns, which gives me the sneaking suspicion that LMillz might be the OF that goes. If anything happens, that is.

Posted by: Zornado | December 9, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I have faith in a higher plan at work if we trade for one more outfielder, but that plan may not be divined by mere mortals.

Posted by: driley | December 9, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't know.

In 302 major league at-bats, the kid has just 4 homers and 26 RBI's, a .242 BA and a .634 OPS.

In the minors he's average a homer every 26 at-bats since 2005 (his body hadn't filled out before then).

He was listed as the D-Backs best power hitter and best outfield arm by Baseball America in December 2007 (Emilio Bonifacio was #6). He was also listed as the Athletics #1 prospect in 2008. There two he was listed as best power hitter & best outfield arm.

Scouting report: "Five tool outfielder ... best pure athlete in Athletics farm system ... plus-arm with good power ... good on basepaths."

He sounds pretty good but I'm not sure I want to watch more young kids make it, or not make it. I'd rather have some proven commodities out there.

Posted by: rushfari | December 9, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Should have mentioned this earlier. If they do this, then more trades are in the mix, as the Nats can't survive with a back-of-the-rotation guy like Redding or Odalis Perez, who apparently isn't coming back.

I too think Milledge is on the trade block. Maybe Jimbo is thinking of a Willingham - Gonzalez - Dukes outfield? Certainly has talent, but no track record, save Willingham.

Posted by: rushfari | December 9, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Gonzalez is a much better prospect to be part of a pennant winner than is Tim Redding. You'd have to make that trade every time it was offered, even with the "some other players involved" caveat. No one trade or acquisition is going to get us where we want to be. This would add to the mass of players who have the potential to be part of the answer. That said, ownership needs to recognize they can't keep charging major league prices for a Triple A product. Do this, but get us major league pitchers also, please.

Posted by: advocate2 | December 9, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

No way this trade happens straight up. So it's value depends on who else in involved. My mouth waters at the athleticism of a Milledge/Gonzalez/Dukes outfield. Not that that will happen, as I can't see the Nat's flipping Willingham, which means Milledge is as good as gone.

The value of this trade would hang on who the other player the Nats would have to send.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 9, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the player would probably be Milledge.

Posted by: Zornado | December 9, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Maybe rockies have interest in a healthy WMP blasting homers in high altitude. Some may think this is funny but WMP could go for 30+HR's there -- assuming last year's disaster was all due to the labrum tear or whatever it was.

Posted by: tlynch44 | December 9, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Carlos Gonzalez is trash. Look at his numbers even in the minors

nubs...

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | December 9, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Not trash. Gonzalez is definitely worth a shot.

Posted by: EdDC | December 9, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't call Carlos Gonzalez trash. I also wouldn't trade for him. I see him as another one of those toolsy outfielders with power who needs to grow into his body... in the meantime, he shows no plate discipline (too many strikeouts and not enough walks) with too low of an OBP - .340 in the minors. That's not good enough to cut it at the MLB level. I'd rather they acquire gamers and grinders who don't look like ballplayers except on the field.

Posted by: comish4lif | December 9, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

The understatement of the year...

The Nationals lack continuity and consistency when trying to build a team. Its like the old Johnny Cash song, "One Piece at a Time".

Trouble is, like the song, it doesn't fit together. Too many outfielders, not enough first basemen. Revolving door infield except at 3rd, which may be overrated... but they have to market something. A quilt work pitching staff that, I have to admit has been coached well, and probably is getting as close to maximum potential as any position.

The catching, well, with exception of a couple of bonehead free agent signings has potential, but not as good as when we had Schneider.

I am tired of two for ones and rehab projects and taking on someone elses problems that might have some potential down the line. Is it a clubhouse or a halfway house?

The Nats aren't fooling anyone anymore. They need to get with it or just admit that they have no intention of being a first class organization, but rather a mediocre one that stays in the black but never goes anywhere.

They are beginning to make Peter Angelos look good. Is that possible?

Posted by: muddapucker | December 9, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Sources are saying the rockies will not trade carlos gonzalez this season because they think he has potential. Also some breaking news are old friend livo signed with the reds, he'll get killed in that ban box.

Posted by: Baseball95der26 | December 9, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Redding isn't good and Milledge can't play CF and doesn't have the power to be a corner outfielder. I think Gonzalez is worth the risk for those two.

Carlos Gonzalez was in two trade packages for top line guys so I'm pretty sure he isn't "trash".

Posted by: BillyBeane | December 9, 2008 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Billy Beane is one smart GM.

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2008 5:32 PM | Report abuse

As for flipping Willingham, he'd be OK in a TB uniform platooning with Gross. But they are also talking about a 3 way with Delmon going back to TB, Sonnanstine or Jackson to Col., and Atkins to MN. Maybe the Redding / Gonzalez deal is plan B for the Rockies?

I tend to think they would not give up on Gonzalez yet. They just dealt Holliday for him, so they must want to test his upside.

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 9, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

then you are following the wrong team, my friend.

**********

Posted by: rushfari | December 9, 2008 2:50 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 9, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

>Billy Beane is one smart GM.

It's like he lives a parallel life that's a couple of years ahead of everyone else. He eats breakfast at the same time, he just eats it in 2010. His biggest accomplishment might be all the money he's saved his employer. Even something like letting Giambi go after he got some good production out of him so that he could make 19 mill with the Yanks. And then get him back low-risk and cheap for his final two years.

But the thing about Gonzalez for me is that he needs time to develop, and the Nats can't keep someone like that on the big league roster. They need production at every spot, because we're not even sure what type of pitching they'll have.

Posted by: Brue | December 9, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse