No Cute Headline

There's this from the L.A. Times.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  December 10, 2008; 3:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Colome Released
Next: Everybody Take a Deep Breath

Comments

"Saverma Park"?

Posted by: diogenes_quixote | December 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

this is getting interesting.

seems like Tex is going to get his 10/200. hopefully he doesn't pick the Orioles over us though.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, with Colome being released, that leaves the Nats at 38 players. I smell a Rule 5 pickup and a FA signing all within the next 24 hours ...

Posted by: erocks33 | December 10, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Man, are we a fun bunch, or what? Of all the potentially positive points raised in this article, we land upon Saverma Park.

Don't let us scare you away from the cute headlines, Tracee. I, for one, appreciate the morning jolt.

So the Nats are the only team in that article willing to go to 10/200. My only remaining questions is this:

Do they charge by the letter for custom Nats jerseys?

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 10, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

the anticipation is killing me.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 10, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

or two Rule 5 pick ups tomorrow

Posted by: Brian_ | December 10, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't believe everything you read. You don't think Boras would leak that info in order to make the Sox and Angels nervous and jack up the price? Not to say that the Nats and O's aren't players for Tex, but I don't have any faith in that info.

Posted by: Good2bOK | December 10, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Landing teixeira would be huge

Posted by: bford1kb | December 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and keep the cute headlines coming, Tracee.

Posted by: Good2bOK | December 10, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

How about a Nats/O's bidding war for Tex? Not only are they fighting for legitimacy, but they are essentially fighting for the allegiance of Anne Arundel County. Angelos would much rather see Tex go to the Sox or Angels than to DC, and I'm sure Jimbo and Stan feel the same way about the O's.

Posted by: Good2bOK | December 10, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

------------

this is one of the things that makes it really interesting.

the O's really can't afford to lose to the Nats in this.

if Tex chooses the O's, the Nats just go for Dunn or try to trade for another 1B though. but the O's, if they don't land Tex and the Nats do....their fanbase will revolt.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 10, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Tex hit .308-33-121 in 2008 and is going to earn $20 million a year until I'm in my 60's.
Elijah Dukes could certainly produce numbers similar to those in 2009 (if talent overcomes injuries and stupidity) and he'll earn $500,000.

Does that seem right to anyone?

Give me Dunn and someone else for $20 million a year, please.

Posted by: rushfari | December 10, 2008 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Say hello to Chuck Lofgren (LHSP)and Jordan Brown (LH1B).

Also, I second longterm's prediction: Tex is coming home for the holidays, folks. Why not be optimistic?

Posted by: BobLHead | December 10, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I like to see that three years of the Nat's hasn't dented anyone's blind optimism on this forum.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 10, 2008 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Also, happy trails, Jesus -- we pray for your buttocks and your family.

Finally (and I am about 5 months late with this one but) Felipe Lopez = Farce of the Franchise.

Posted by: BobLHead | December 10, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Hope springs eternal, soundbloke.

Posted by: BobLHead | December 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

I was an Expos fan from birth.

Thanks for cheering me up a bit though.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

"You may be doing a dance now, but abscess will make the heart grow fonder.

"E. Litella

"Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 10, 2008 4:38 PM "

This has got to be the post of the day.

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Remember, Tex:

"Heroes get remembered, but Legends live forever."

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Remember, Tex:

"Heroes get remembered, but Legends live forever."

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 5:13 PM

According to The Great Bambino from "The Sandlot" it's:

"Heroes get remembered but legends never die...."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 10, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Who? The Great Bambi?

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse

From MLB Trade Rumors (also called "crack").

"9:59am: Jon Heyman talked to people close to Hank Steinbrenner who say he wants Manny. Heyman says the Yanks are mulling a run at the slugger."

That could mean the Yankees are giving up on Tex!!!

That could mean the Yankees are really trying to leverage Tex!!!

That could mean nothing about the Yankees and Tex!!!

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Babe Ruth? Who is she?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | December 10, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Even my mom - a grown up GIRL - knows who he is.

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, wait for me...(carrying over)

Thanks for the laugh, "Emily." Should we observe a moment of silence for the end of the Colome era? Oh wait, it's Colome, better make that a few l-o-o-n-g moments. He did kind of bottom out, I guess. At least he can take heart in the fact that he will no longer be the butt of our jokes. heh heh.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 10, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Methinks the Ruth query may be a Sandlot allusion, 506.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 10, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Great, 1a! You think I'm a misogynist now!

I was playing along, that's one of my favorite lines from the movie, right after Smalls' mom is explaining who Babe Ruth is when she catches him replacing the forged ball.

For.
Ev.
Er.

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

D'oh! Sorry about not picking up on that, 506. I know that you're not in the misogynist camp.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 10, 2008 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Let's discuss the rumoured offers, & player benefits/drawbacks to signing -
Angels: 6/7 years, $140-150M?; Solid team in a weak division, has $$$ available to spend.
Nationals: 8/10 years, $190-210M?; Bottom-feeding franchise, looking for cornerstone player to elevate status in an open division.
Orioles: 8/10 years, $180/200M?; Bottom-feeding franchise in stacked division; Looking to become respectible over next five years.
Red Sox: 7/8 years, $150-175M?; Perennial contender in stacked division, well-financed, will make room for additional salary.
Does that look about right so far?

Posted by: BinM | December 10, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

After catching up with entries, I must have missed the cute headline. That's what I get for getting to work instead of checking the blog first thing. ;-)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 11, 2008 9:28 AM | Report abuse