One Free Agent the Nats Would Be Fools to Pass Up

I'm talking about Frank Howard --"Hondo," "The Washington Monument," "The Capital Punisher," the most important living figure in Washington's baseball history. It's time to bring him back into the fold.

At 72 years old, Howard is, in fact, a free agent, having been let go recently by the New York Yankees, for whom he had been working as a professional scout. He had a lifetime contract with the Yankees, courtesy of longtime owner George Steinbrenner, but -- with the Boss in poor health, and having ceded control of the franchise to his sons, Hal and Hank -- Howard was approached about terminating the contract, and agreed to do so.

"I love Mr. Steinbrenner, inside and out," Howard said yesterday. "But the boys want to create their own identity, and I fully understand that."

Howard, who still lives in northern Virginia, said he wants to remain in baseball -- "Next year is my 50th year in the game," he said -- but does not have a position lined up.

"I don't even know if word is out that I'm not with the Yankees anymore," he said.

When I asked whether he would have interest in working for the Nationals, he didn't hesitate: "If they were interested, I would be delighted to talk to them."

Nationals President Stan Kasten said this morning he is aware of Howard's release from his Yankees contract, but declined to comment on a potential fit with the team. "I don't have anything to say about that," said the notoriously tight-lipped Kasten.

It goes without saying, but we'll say it anyway: This is something that needs to happen. The Nationals maintain few tangible ties with Washington's baseball past -- the franchise's official history includes the 36 years it spent in Montreal, but not the two incarnations of the Senators -- and could make a major impact by bringing onboard the extremely popular Howard, who hit 237 of his 382 career homers in a Washington uniform. There's also little doubt the franchise could benefit from Howard's experience and insight, gleaned as a manager, coach and scout for the past 30-plus years.

Don't you all agree?

By Dave Sheinin  |  December 4, 2008; 11:21 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A Different Tex Take
Next: Nats Fill Out Staff

Comments

And we can bring back Ted Williams head too!

Posted by: Intrudr | December 4, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

As a recently-renewed masochist... er, season ticket holder... Stan - you have to do this.
Well said, Dave.

Posted by: BrentwoodGuy | December 4, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Yes. It's absolutely a no-brainer to bring Howard into the fold. I'll be disappointed if they somehow manage to screw this one up, too. But not surprised.

At least we didn't draft him ninth overall.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | December 4, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

>And we can bring back Ted Williams head too!<

Maybe you can go back to sucking your thumb.

HON-DO HON-DO HON-DO DAAAA CAPITOL PUNISHER YEAH BAYBEE YEH-HEAH!!

Posted by: Brue | December 4, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Yes, it would be a good idea. He has been a part of the Yankees franchise and the winning in NY for years. He is a piece of D.C. baseball history that some of us still remember. He was the heart of the team for years and if it had not been for the Denny McClain in 1970, maybe a team that could have contended.

Posted by: sazzwho | December 4, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely - Bringing Hondo aboard as a regional scout, fact-checker, or anything he could be useful as would be great. Good PR move for the Front Office, and let's be honest - they could use every bit of good PR they can get.

Posted by: BinM | December 4, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Not signing Hondo to something - anything - would be the most colossally stupid thing that the Lerners have ever, ever, ever done and possibly will ever do.

I wish I could draw a chart for them, plotting the degree of Mistake as well as its location on the Little Cost axis to graphically display the Stupidity vector with magnitude extreme of not locking down Hondo in the organization.

Seriously, guys, I'm not even a hater and I would hate you for passing up on this.

Posted by: Section506 | December 4, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I also have to respect Stan here for simply not saying anything. None of the Bowden forced sound bites. The sooner the Lerners realise what an asset they have the better.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 4, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Please indulge me while I beta-test my newly invented SheinSpeak Translator on one paragraph from this blog post.

[In a momentary lapse after two straight weeks of successfully call-screening out our robocalls,] Nationals President Stan Kasten said this morning he is aware of Howard's release from his Yankees contract [since he read the news everywhere on the internet EXCEPT for the Washington Post's web page], but declined to comment [aside from an unprintable five minute diatribe speculating on what Barry Svrluga and I are REALLY doing on all those road trips we take together to Red Sox-Yankees games] on a potential fit with the team. "I don't have anything to say about that [because I've just given an exclusive three-part interview to Nats320 on the subject, which will be available on his site as soon as he's done transcribing it (but not spell-checking it, though, because Mr. Lerner is too cheap to pay the overtime cost for that)]," said the notoriously tight-lipped [except, of course, for obscenity-filled diatribes directed at The Washington Post] Kasten.

Thanks for your help with this beta test. The software does seem to be working. Now, back to your regular programming.

Posted by: raykingsgutfeeling2 | December 4, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Belliard was in a Dominican League game brawl - LAA's Aybar is the main subject but Belly gets a mention:

I hope he was able to avoid the flying trash can.

Posted by: LosDoceOcho | December 4, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes to Hondo

And more Grays uniform days next season

Embrace some of the lovable memories in Washington baseball

Posted by: Kev29 | December 4, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Stan who?
Does Kasten still work for the Nats?
Does he have the power to spend $100K on Frank Howard without gettting Lerner approval?

I still stand by my comment back in September that Stan Kasten will not be with the Nats come Spring Training.

Posted by: JayBeee | December 4, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

He should have some position, but it ought to involve some real public visibility. Perhaps some scouting duties, but just hiring him as a scout doesn't bring the noise. The Nats should want him as a public face for the franchise, making public appearances and such.

Posted by: fischy | December 4, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

The Lerner's have been nothing but pathetic in linking this team to Washington's baseball past. The World Series "flag" from 1924 on top of the scoreboard is a sad joke. It is absolute no-brainer to bring Howard back into fold and the cruel reality is that the Lerner's are apparently deaf to such ideas and I doubt it happens. DO SOMETHING LERNER!

Posted by: mjwies11 | December 4, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Does Chico still work for the Post?

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | December 4, 2008 12:25 PM | Report abuse

WHY WOULD THE NATS BRING BACK FRANK HOWARD THAT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE AND WHILE THEY'RE AT IT BRING BACK FRANK ROBINSON TOO!!!. Seriously; does anyone remember the line drive Frank hit to left field off Earl Wilson of the Detroit Tigers in Tiger stadium? it was hit so hard it stuck in the mesh screen that protected the fans,the umps couldn't decide if it was a homer or a ground rule double now that was one of the hardeat hit balls i can ever remember being hit by any pro ballplayer.

Posted by: dargregmag | December 4, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Hondo is the best part of DC's baseball's past. Special Asst. run amuck already why not one more, eh...

Posted by: Berndaddy | December 4, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

For fans in their 50s like me, Frank Howard IS Washington baseball. Through many a dreary season at DC Stadium, fans stayed till Hondo's last at bat no matter what the score. Only afterwards did the ballpark clear like someone yelled "fire." We loved Big Frank and he loved being part of the Washington community. Bringing him on board with the Nats would be a major coup for the Lerners, who seem to have a shotgun where their sense of public relations should be.

Posted by: leetee1955 | December 4, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Breathe, dargregmag.

How about Hondo on MASN?

Oh, and they should also make an effort to bring back Walter Johnson. Seriously, making an offer wouldn't hurt their popularity.

Posted by: Section506 | December 4, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Hondo and Briggs Hot Dogs!

Posted by: 1of9000 | December 4, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

The ideal spot for Frank Howard in the Nats organization would be as the so-called In-Stadium Host, replacing the abomination called Clint who's had the job the last two years. Instead of the normal Clint shenanigans we've all come to know and hate, Hondo could put his own personal stamp on the job. Walk out onto the field a few minutes before the game, all lit up on the big screen, wave to the wild cheering crowd and say "Hey, tonight the Nats are playin' the Mets. Enjoy the game!" Then he could spend the rest of the night either watching the game or holding forth for photos and autographs next door to the Rushmores, whichever he sees fit.

Posted by: raykingsgutfeeling2 | December 4, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely bring him back. This is the mother of all no-brainers.

Posted by: Juan-John | December 4, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Among the many great things that occurred for me when baseball returned to Washington was getting to go back into RFK Stadium and take another look at the seats way up in the left field area where Hondo's mammoth blasts landed. Dave, I am with you 100%. There has to be a place for Frank Howard with the Nats.

Posted by: VaNat | December 4, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Sure, why not? But don't get too excited.
If you aren't at least, what, 45 years old? you have no significant memories of his playing days.

"Who's that?"

"Some old guy who played for those last place teams a long time ago. He hit most of their home runs, I think."

"Oh. Cool. HEY CLINT! OVER HERE!!"

Posted by: CEvansJr | December 4, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Bring back Hondo! I like the idea of the new old Clint. Sweet.

Posted by: jdsp2000 | December 4, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

I didn't live in the area during the earlier Nats incarnations but I'm well aware of Howard's contributions here. Definitely, bring him on board!

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 4, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

This flat out needs to happen. No discussion is really needed. As Juan-John said it is "the mother of all no-brainers."

Posted by: Section505203 | December 4, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

As someone under your 45-year-old cutoff, CEvans, I am offended. I do not look for Clint during the game.

I look for Clint's lady escorts.

Posted by: Section506 | December 4, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Kasten was misquoted in the blog entry, his actual statement was: "I don't have any say about that."

Lerner will make the decision after reviewing the cost benefit analysis and Hondo will be hired if it can be shown that his presence will entice enough extra fans to the park to cover double his wages.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | December 4, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

During all the summers we always drove past
an empty RFK, I always prayed my two young sons would have a team of their own in DC. I came back from Nam in 69, and was stationed in DC for the remainder of my enlistment. I went to see the Senators(who we called the Nats) to see this giant of a man named Hondo. I must have gone 50 or 60 times. My heart broke when they left, and when the Nats came back in 2005, it was a day of joy for me and especially for my one son who is a Nat Fanatic.
When we went to our first game in 2005, I will never forget the feeling of justice, and joy as I walked from the parking lot with my little boys (who are now grown men) to the entrance of RFK. I had tears in my eyes as we entered that funky stadium. A special moment in life.
Now I think it is time we bring back our baseball history by putting Hondo, The Capital Punisher, back in a uniform of our hometown team!! It is the right thing to do. Please Mr Lerner...I know you will do the right thing.

Posted by: nickgoldblatt | December 4, 2008 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Agreed
And I still think it was a mistake not finding a PROPER position for Frank Robinson.
But I often wonder if executives care about such things - especially OUR executives. You're right, Dave - there is virtually ZERO connection between the Nats and Washington's baseball history, especially with the passage of RFK - if the Nats don't do something to change that, it will be another ten or twenty years until they have the fanbase they desire.

Posted by: ajtrue78 | December 4, 2008 1:33 PM | Report abuse

let me be clear on this. the last thing we need is another right handed bat playing the outfield. i love hondo, but he's just not going to fit in an already overcrowded outfield what with pena, kearns, etc. no doubt he will hit for a better average than wilmo, and is probably more durable than kearns, but he's a luxury we can't afford. can he play first? cause i'd be all for that.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 4, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm 30. I never saw Howard play. The Sens left town before I was born. But if you think I don't understand what Howard means to this team and to this city, you're underestimating the influence of a generation of fathers' laments.

I grew up without baseball in DC, but I grew up with my father's stories of baseball in DC - particularly of Frank Howard. I also grew up with an intense hatred of the Orioles that my dad never let go. He became a Yankees fan - of all things! - simply because they were Baltimore's division rivals.

When I watched the old Sens give their gloves to the new Nats at the home opener at RFK in 2005, I was intensely aware of the fact that a father's team was being given back to his son. And I was moved, honored, and humbled to have it.

Frank Howard is part of the Washington baseball heritage. I never saw him play, but I get that. And my disappointment if they did not make a move to bring him back to DC would border on anger.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 4, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

By the way, let's bring back Hendo while we're at it.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Apropos of some discussion in prior posts, ESPN's Rob Neyer thinks teams are finally balancing defensive stats alongside the usual offensive numbers, resulting in lower values being ascribed to sub-par defenders like Dunn and Burrell:

Posted by: BobLHead | December 4, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I loved Raykingsgutfeeling's take on how to use Hondo. We have no baseball royalty in DC, but we have Hondo who is the next best thing. I really do not know if Hondo is good as a scout or not, but he would be ideal as the designated face of the franchise, since our current FoF never warmed up to the role.

Frank Robinson? naaaaah. I still think of him as an Oriole.

Posted by: driley | December 4, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

@ dcsportsfan1.... I REALLY hope you are being sarcastic...

The Nats DEFINITELY should look into this. I get in arguments with my brother in law (Phillies fan) who says I should not even talk about anything won by the Senators because, as he says "Your franchise is Montreal"...

OK, Hondo made his career in Washington, not Texas and I don't think I have ever seen a picture of Walter Johnson in a Twins cap...In fact, he died before the original Senators left to Minneapolis. This franchise needs to embrace DC's baseball past some more and here is a great opportunity.

Posted by: DrCapsFan | December 4, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

DrCapsFan,
i might actually take hondo at first vs. nick or dmitri. i saw hondo at RFK a few years ago...he looked in pretty good shape..

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | December 4, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight. The Nats jumped at the chance to have a statue of Hondo in the ballpark but having Hondo himself in and around the park get's a no comment. If he's not offered a job it'll be a travesty. As for his popularity, the ovation he got at the last game at RFK should lay to rest any doubt about that. Those white seats at RFK were provided many a teachable moment for any fan who wasn't old enough to see him. Bring Hondo home.

Posted by: mojo6 | December 4, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Not that I am adding anything new here... but hiring Frank Howard would be worth it just for the marketing value. Add to it that he has real organizational value...

You're right, Dave... a no-brainer.

Here's another idea... if the Nats hire Hondo, make every September 30 Frank Howard Day... I guess they could do that without hiring him... but what a cool idea.

Posted by: wigi | December 4, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely. I met Frank Howard in 2005 waiting in line for the Metro after a game. He was incredibly friendly and happy to sign my program and pose for a photo. I felt like the 10 year old boy that I was in 1970 at RFK one night when he put one into the upper deck.

Sec314

Posted by: arlingtontwb | December 4, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

1. The Nationals' reputation has not recovered from their self-made debacle over not paying the $3 million in rent they owed the city. This was so bull-headed. Hiring Hondo in a VISIBLE role would create such incredible good will.

2. There is a cadre of people in their late 40s and 50s who have been the backbone of the Nats fan-base since 2005. They fought the hardest to bring baseball back. And Howard is THEIR HERO.

- This cadre of fans is hurting right now. They don't know why the team gets worse every year. They don't know why there hasn't been a Frank Howard Day at RFK/Nats Park since 2005. They look at the 2008 Nats and see a worse team than ever played in Washington in the previous century. They look at their checkbook and wonder if they can affort the same tickets in 2009 they bought in 2008.

All this bad feeling will be improved if the Nationals hire Frank Howard into a visible role. Visible in the park, visible in the community, visible in the media.

Please hire Frank Howard.

Posted by: WisdomVision | December 4, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

He could bat fourth.

Posted by: Scottalius | December 4, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

He was the most important sports hero of my childhood. Anyone who grew up here and loved baseball saw him as the face of DC baseball. If I had a son he would have been name Frank Howard, he was that important. He was and still is larger than life and generous. The Lerners would permanently damage their standing as DC sports owners if they passed this up. Abe Pollin wouldn't skip a beat. Our history is important and the Lerners ignore that at the team's peril.

Posted by: joekenehan | December 4, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"Nationals President Stan Kasten said this morning he is aware of Howard's release from his Yankees contract [since he read the news everywhere on the internet EXCEPT for the Washington Post's web page]"

Not that it's definitive, but a quick search on Google news for '"Frank Howard"' and '"Frank Howard" Yankees' only turned up Nat's Journal.

Posted by: mrm0to | December 4, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

mrmito, you obviously don't grasp the concept of satire. For your own sake, I recommend you avoid watching things like SNL Weekend Update, Jon Stewart or the Colbert Report. You can thank me later.

Posted by: raykingsgutfeeling2 | December 4, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The case for hiring Frank Howard: Look at the large number of comments this has generated in Nationals Journal

Posted by: nickgoldblatt | December 4, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Bring in Frank Howard by all means, and bring back Frank Robinson in a signigicant role!

Posted by: angusgoodson | December 4, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

There would be doubt on this how? Hire the man, Stan.

Posted by: Hendo1 | December 4, 2008 3:08 PM | Report abuse

The case that Stan Kasten ain't going nowhere. Look at the large number of comments a single "No comment" from him to Sheinin has generated on Nationals Journal. Think anyone in Toronto would hang on his every (non-)word like that? Neither does he. He ain't leaving, JayBeeee. Figure it out already.

Posted by: raykingsgutfeeling2 | December 4, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dstout3423 | December 4, 2008 3:26 PM | Report abuse

>To not bring The Great Frank Howard into the Nationals fold would be heartbreakingly stupid. Bring him in. Give him the # 33. Then watch the fans, the few of us that remain, rejoice.<

Only if he hits third.

Posted by: Brue | December 4, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree with mojo6.

The Nats are already using Frank Howard for marketing purposes by building a statue of the guy and showcasing those old white seats.

So why not hire the actual person?

Posted by: AshburnVA | December 4, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

OMG, laughing so hard!!!
_____________________
He could bat fourth.

Posted by: Scottalius | December 4, 2008 2:45 PM

Posted by: NatsNut | December 4, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Dave, Perhaps when you next talk to Kasten you can direct him to your post and all the comments it's generated. Instead of a "no comment" the first thing out of his mouth should have been - I'm getting on the phone with Frank as soon as I get off the phone with you.

Posted by: mojo6 | December 4, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree with all the commenters. Hondo, along with Eddie Brinkman, was one of the few reasons to come to Senators games during the 1960s. The new owners cannot let this opportunity pass. I've had season tickets every year since the team returned to DC, but if this doesn't happen, 2009 will be my last.

Posted by: pbs1231 | December 4, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Not growing up here, I remember Frank Howard as the dreaded enemy. I remember watching a late 60s Red Sox game from Fenway, on free TV, at my grandmother's place in Lawrence and Howard was at the plate. My uncle, already cynical about the Red Sox inability to win, and especially pitch, said, "Watch, next pitch, Howard is going to put one 7 rows up in dead center." Of course, the next ball was hit out to dead center. I argued the rest of the afternoon that it was only 3 rows up, but my uncle was not going to let me off the hook.

Why was Hondo not brought back the very moment the NYY let him go? That would have been a cool press conference, and would have made Hank look like less of a . . .

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | December 4, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

CEvans said:

----

True, but so what? Like several other posters have stated, we've heard the tales from our fathers, we've seen the white seats at RFK, and that is enough...

Or to put it another way, if you are not at least 90 years old you would have no significant memories of Babe Ruth or Lou Gehrig, but that doesnt stop the Yankees from honoring them. DC has a much humbler baseball history than the Yankees for sure, but it would still be idiotic NOT to embrace one of the few tangible bright spots of that history. BRING BACK FRANK!

Posted by: brian1va1 | December 4, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

This is the biggest no brainer in the history of sports - which is precisely the reason why it won't happen. There are probably many people of my age bracket who sat in the stands during the 1968-1971 season who recall with great joy the main reason for watching these games. As someone who had Frank Howard live down the street from my house, his normal guy personna is exactly what this franshise needs.

If he could teach Dukes and Milledge some patience and Zimmerman how to handle his fame the rewards to the fans in DC would be worth every penny that was invested in him.

Note to Stan Kasten and Jim Bowden: Do yourself a public relations favor - GET HONDO BACK. The positive press would last for the entire season - and brign fans into the game. For all that Frank Howard has done for this community, can't we pay him back and say thanks in a menaingful way? Are you listening Stan???????????

Posted by: jgdonahue | December 4, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sec 204 Row K Seat 11

Bring Hondo Back. To the quy who cracked wise, Frank play first base the last two years the Senator were here. Bring Hondo Back!!

Posted by: adhardwick | December 4, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

At least my Hendo request was fulfilled...

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 4, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I say cut Willie Mo Worthless and sign Hondo to be the 4th outfielder.

Posted by: cabraman | December 4, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Well done, John. Now for the Hondo request...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | December 4, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

>My uncle, already cynical about the Red Sox inability to win, and especially pitch, said, "Watch, next pitch, Howard is going to put one 7 rows up in dead center." Of course, the next ball was hit out to dead center.<

It's just the fact that he actually WAS that great. It's almost impossible to describe seeing the biggest man ever to play the game like that. 48 homers in one year? For the Senators?? Get real. He didn't get a damned thing to hit. He had Epstein behind him, but nothing else. I can't even remember the 5th hitter, unless it was Ken McMullen. Hell, Elliott Maddox used to hit fifth for cryin out loud. Hondo was like Vlad Guerrero - but only because he had to be. He's lucky he saw one good pitch to hit per game.

Posted by: Brue | December 4, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

>BRING BACK FRANK!

Yeah I don't know what the problem is with this, but it needs to get fixed.

Posted by: Brue | December 4, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

STAN...you want to sell tickets don't you. Well, lets get that statue of the Capitol Punisher in place, have Hondo there to dedicate it, throw out that first ball and do some ticket pitches on the tube. Make some speeches and appearances at local business clientele functions, etc. etc. It's simply a no brainer. Hondo will sell tickets and restore/add a semblance of respectability to the franchise. It will give Washingtonians a tangible asset to latch onto. As Jack Kent Cook would have said...my god man, what else is there to know?

Posted by: cokedispatch | December 4, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Lerner, Mr. Kasten,

Frank Howard being available is dropped from your laps from heaven! You must sign him. After all the bad things last year, this would be so fabulous to have Hondo back in Washington. Read the Washington Post on October 1, 1971. Listen to Ron Menchine (who should also be brought back as a guest announcer) call Hondo's last home run at RFK. People here ADORE Hondo. You would gain so much goodwill by hiring Frank Howard.

You've got to sign this guy!!! Please!

Posted by: sonshinefcc | December 4, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I've decided to start an email petition to encourage the Nats to hire Frank Howard. All replies will be forwarded on to the Nats.

Please fill out the online petition:

hondo.planetnj.net

Posted by: wigi | December 5, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

What a no brainer. The Nats should be tripping over themselves to get Frank into the fold. Let's see if they botch this one. Hell, he might even be their answer at 1st base!!

Posted by: MarcJMilzman | December 5, 2008 6:49 AM | Report abuse

Facebookers, join the Hondo cause:

Posted by: Hendo1 | December 5, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

This is a 100% no brainer. Hondo is a beloved figure for any Washingtonian over 40 and will connect baseball back to its previous version...the Senators of the 60s and 70s.

This makes too much sense, which probably means it wont happen, which would be too bad.

Posted by: MarkfromCT | December 5, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I'll add my sign on to the chorus.

Don't just put up a statue - that can wait. Spend that money on bringing the man here. Back Home.

Welcome Home Frank Howard.

Do it. Do it now. Please?

Posted by: dand187 | December 5, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

They have to bring him back to the NATS and give him lots of visibility. He was the NATS when he was on the Senators. The country's National team should have some history to it.

Posted by: mail5billh1 | December 7, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse