Sabathia Deal Done

Not a Nats move, but a move, at least.

The New York Post says Sabathia and the Yankees have agreed to a deal.

That should let some of the other free agent dominoes start tumbling. My hunch was that Teixeira wouldn't sign before Sabathia so perhaps now the process will speed up a bit.

More over at the Baseball Insider as the day goes on...

By Tracee Hamilton  |  December 10, 2008; 9:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sheinin Chat Change [Updated]
Next: Teixeira: The Lay of the Land

Comments

Well, I did ask for something to happen.

I was hoping he'd stay in Milwaukee, but I new that wasn't going to happen.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 10, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

New? Knew.

Type d'oh.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 10, 2008 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I love how the "experts" covering the winter meetings know everything. This was posted by the esteemed Peter Gammons yesterday:

• It is a near certainty that the Mark Teixeira sweepstakes will move on into next week, at the earliest. Nothing will happen with CC Sabathia until next week, again at the earliest. Sabathia is going to meet with the Giants, and if Teixeira leaves the Angels, the Angels will be players. "

Looks like Gammons missed the boat on this one. And truly, how often are these "experts" right anyway? I guess if in the morning you write that "Player X will sign with Team A" and then in the afternoon say that he will sign with Team B, then at night say that he'll sign with Team C and one of these comes true, they could say "See, I was right!"

Posted by: erocks33 | December 10, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

The Yankees are reportedly also looking at Burnett and Lowe. If they're committed to signing one (or both?) of these guys, they may not be willing to jump into the Teixeira sweepstakes until those negotiations are complete and they get a more complete sense of their budget.

Of course, Boras isn't going to let Teixeira sign without at least trying to pull New York into the bidding.

So while the Sabathia deal may move things along, I don't expect Teixeira to sign this week. His value isn't diminishing here. The only thing that could work against Boras while he waits is further economic turmoil.

Posted by: JohninMpls | December 10, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

MLBTraderumors has the Yanks also closing in on Lowe, though the Red Sox have him as their primary pitching target.

I firmly believe the Red Sox are our primary competition for Teixeira, if they get into a bidding war with the Yanks for Lowe and maybe Burnett with Atlanta they won't be willing to stretch as far as the Nats will to sign Teixeira.

I also think the CC deal pushes the minimum dollars/years up. IMO his baseline is 7/8 years and at least $180 total.

Posted by: estuartj | December 10, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse