This is Why People Hate the Yankees

The Yankees and Teixeira = not done? So says SI's Jon Heyman.

This is the entry.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  December 11, 2008; 10:47 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Finally, Stuff Happens
Next: UPDATE: Rizzo on Rule 5 Pick Terrell Young

Comments

Let's review shall we:

CNNSI says the Yanks are now in the Tex sweepstakes and sure to go all in.

FoxSports says the BoSox are 'getting closer' to a deal.

Someone on here posted that Stark said he'll go to the Nats.

In other words, no one has a clue.

He won't be the Franchise in NY.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | December 11, 2008 10:56 AM | Report abuse

This is exactly the sort of bidding war we should not be involved in. With the Yankees and Red Sox both in the running whoever signs Teix now will almost certainly end up offering a contract that they will live to regret.

At this point a move for Dunn/Hudson makes a lot more sense. Stick some cash on the Redding for Gonzalez/Fowler trade and make that happen. If we get Dunn, flip Willigham for prospects.

Either way no one should ever offer a contract for more than eight years, that has never benefited the club (insert proving me wrong answers here, there must be some but, I'm feeling bold).

Posted by: soundbloke | December 11, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

this is obviously a ploy to raise the bidding.

my gut says the first team to go to 200m gets him.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 11, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

8/200m with a no-trade and opt-out after 5 years.

that'll get it done.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 11, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Like I said simply stating fact.....THE NATS HAVE NO CHANCE.

Move on and start dreaming about Manny another guy you have close to no chance to get. Why would any good player possibly want to come to the nationals and ruin his career????

Posted by: beas13 | December 11, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Can anyone summarize the Heyman article? I can't get on to that site from work. Thanks...

Posted by: BGinVA | December 11, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

beas13

Maybe a little harsh. It's not so much a case of ruining a career, more that more opportunities are presented in other places.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 11, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

soundbloke - just ignore the kid. like I said in the last post, he just wants attention.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 11, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Summary:

Posted by: Section506 | December 11, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

anyhow, I'm pretty sure that if we don't land Tex, Dunn is our next target.

I hope he's willing to play 1B.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 11, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

No, seriously, BG, this is the ENTIRE post:

"The Yankees, who are pressing for pitching and have money to burn, have re-entered the Mark Teixeira Sweepstakes, SI.com has learned.
"It had been presumed the Yankees were concentrating only on starting pitching for the moment. But sources tell SI.com that the Yankees aren't about to concede Teixeira to the rival Red Sox or anyone else. Word in baseball circles on Wednesday was that the Boston appeared to be the favorite to land the star free-agent first baseman.
"The Angels, Nationals and Orioles are all pressing for Teixeira, as well, with the price likely to approach or hit the $200-million mark. There have been reports suggesting some Angels pitcher are discouraged, but it appears they remain very much in the picture.
"There are some people who believe Teixeira would rather go to the East Coast, and if that's true the Yankees could be an interesting fit. The Orioles and Nationals are pressing hard, and while Teixeira is a native of Severna Park, Md., neither of his local teams appears ready to win.
"The Yankees are also pushing for A.J. Burnett, talking seriously to Derek Lowe and investigating whether to make a bid for Ben Sheets. The Yankees' biggest need is pitching, and if they sign three more pitchers beyond CC Sabathia, they can probably be counted out on Teixeira. But until that time, they should be considered to be in the Teixeira Sweepstakes. If they do sign Teixeira, Nick Swisher would be switched to the outfield."

Seriously, NO DETAILS.

Posted by: Section506 | December 11, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, 506. It sure doesn't sound like anything's official and I'm not really too worried at this point. I don't think he'd end up in NY, especially if his family factors into his decision, which by all accounts it will. This sounds like nothing more than a rumor and an unfounded one at that.

Posted by: BGinVA | December 11, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

No details, no sources. SI in fine form. Doesn't mean it's not true. But I always wonder how much of this stuff is just Boras's staff 'leaking' news to drive the price up.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 11, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse

MLB.com has learned that the Washington Nationals will take RHP Terrell Young from the Reds organization with the first pick of the Rule 5 Draft today. Young was a 10th round pick in the 2004 draft. He's got a big arm who had a very good second half in 2008. He's very athletic and competitive on the mound and has three above-average pitches.

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | December 11, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Yankees are entirely mentioned for the Sox, either by Boras to leverage the Sox or the Yanks to drive up the cost for the Sox.

Posted by: Section506 | December 11, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

The Young pick is waaaaaaay off the board. I'm stumped.
Pick and trade already worked out??

Posted by: Section138 | December 11, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I presume this kid Terrel Young is a relief pitcher. If he is then it seems like a goot fit.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 11, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Did I mention that I was on the no way in hell bandwagon? This is partly why. The posturing by the Steinbrenners will just make it easier for Tex to go to Boston. While we get the Boras leftovers by overpaying for Manny.

Posted by: swang30 | December 11, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, Terrell Young. Typo.

Posted by: soundbloke | December 11, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"The Young pick is waaaaaaay off the board. I'm stumped."

Think of him as Jesus Colome without the buttocks and human-rain-delay issues and it all might start to make sense.

Posted by: raykingsgutfeeling2 | December 11, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

All great players please go to the Yankees, Red Sox or Mets. Everybody else who care!!!

MLB

I know we're new to this but I feel dirty now...

Posted by: Berndaddy | December 11, 2008 12:05 PM | Report abuse

This is the worst draft I've ever witnessed. Good Lord is it horrible.
And, yes, they took Young.

Posted by: Section138 | December 11, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

word is, we took Young in order to trade him.

Posted by: MrMadison | December 11, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Nats pass on their 2nd round Rule 5 Pick. This smells like a draft and trade, big time.

Posted by: Section138 | December 11, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Mr Madison, please divulge who 'The Word' is...

Posted by: GoNatsTerps | December 11, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Madison is right. The only way for the Nats to get Tex is as high bidder. Something like +2 years/$20 million per above others. Sounds like 10/200 wins it.

Posted by: AshburnVA | December 11, 2008 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Seems sort of odd that only the O's and Nats would go public with their dollar-and-year offers to Tex. The Angels, Sox and Yanks have made offers but not made them public. This seems like a grandstand play by the Nats and O's, otherwise, why would they tell the world what they were offering? 'Hey we tried, now let's focus on youth'...

Posted by: Brue | December 11, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I don't know...You think that with a team like the Nats, one that would benenfit from Divine Intervention, would be wary of releasing "Jesus."

__________________________________________________________________

Posted by: TimDz | December 11, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

GNT - I'm getting this particular rumor from Baseball America.

" Well, I’m not sure Terrell Young will be a star . . . I’m also not sure he’ll be a National. Late word just before the draft starts here has the Nats trading Young or selling his contract to another club."

Posted by: MrMadison | December 11, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"As for the Team That Must Not Be Named? Less chance than a snowflake's chance in hell. Ori-Trolls, go away."

HAHHAHAHAHA Nats fans are pathetic they no they are so inferior to the O's they won't even talk about them. The sad thing is we suck as well just not nearly as bad as the joke of the league WASHINGTON NATIONALS.

It's so funny to me that that 100 total national fans actually think they have a shot. Like I have stated multiple times doubt the O's will get him either but if he comes Local it will be to HIS HOMETOWN O's!!!!!!! Not the pathetic Nationals. We have a bright future and a chance to make noise in couple years if we get Tex. If the Nats get Tex nothing will change you will still win maybe maybe 70 games a year if you are lucky.

Posted by: beas13 | December 11, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

MrMadison....Why are you obsessed with me?? Im just trying to talk baseball it is a baseball blog

Posted by: beas13 | December 11, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Don't get bitter b/c the Nationals are the joke of the league. It's ok things will get better in the next 5-10 years...maybe

Posted by: beas13 | December 11, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

>"I'm Jon Heyman and I repeat anything and everything I hear without giving my readers any confidence in my sources and frequently end up wrong, but I never mention it!"

Yeah I used to think this guy had a hotline to Bowden or something, but I finally realized that he just likes to start trouble and get people to read his column.

Posted by: Brue | December 11, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse