UPDATE: Redding-Taveras Deal Now Dead

Just got word that the Nationals' proposed trade of Tim Redding to the Rockies for center fielder Willy Taveras is dead for the moment, with the Nationals apparently the ones who balked. It does not mean the deal could not be revisited, with some additional moving parts, but it does not appear it will happen tonight.

By Dave Sheinin  |  December 9, 2008; 10:37 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats Working on Redding-Taveras Trade
Next: Teixeira To Sox? Angels? Nats?

Comments

Good!

Posted by: brothbart | December 9, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

The fact that Jim Bowden even considered this trade is absurd. It should have never been alive.

Posted by: mdb280 | December 9, 2008 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness, having speed doesn't matter if we don't have the guys to drive 'em in... I'd like to see some trades, but Taveras just didn't seem like a good guy to add to our corps...

Posted by: -CN- | December 9, 2008 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Praise Jebus!

Posted by: soundbloke | December 9, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Getting anything for a stiff like Redding would be a minor miracle.

Unless it were for someone equally stiffy like Willy.

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | December 9, 2008 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Good. Glad it's dead. I'd be interested in seeing what Gonzales could bring, but he's still a project at this point. I think I'd rather stick with Blastings. Taveras' speed is useless if he can't get on base - and in '08, he couldn't. His career OBP is only .330, he has ZERO power (doesn't even hit doubles/triples) and doesn't walk much. Guzzie is an infinitely better leadoff guy than is Taveras - especially if it's Career Average Taveras or 2008 Taveras, as opposed to 2007 Career Year Taveras. BLECH.

Posted by: TheBorg | December 9, 2008 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I guess I am in the minority on this one. I see Taveras has had a decent (not great, but decent)OBP in years past including .367 in 2007. He is a plus baserunner. Not just a base stealer, but good baserunner. He haa an above average range factor and he is still young enough to improve. Tim Reding is a servicable starter, but he is replaceable. He has never put together a full season of good performance and his second half last year was not acceptable. I don't see it as giving up much. And I don't even see Taveras as necessarily a starter. Redding has value, but he's not Greg Maddux. All that said, I'd rather have Gonzalez, but that seems rather far fetched.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 9, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I think we'd all rather Gonzalez. I winder if Redding and Willingham gets that done?

Posted by: soundbloke | December 9, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Good news. Taveras adds nothing. Redding, while expendable, is still useful. I'm not sure why this was even considered in the first place.

Posted by: Tank2 | December 9, 2008 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Redding and Milledge would get it done...

Posted by: fischy | December 9, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Dave, I really appreciate you updating this blog, but just wondering- What happened to Chico Harlan?

Posted by: dcsportsfan13 | December 9, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Thank God! This was a dumb deal. I mean, come on, Tavares never played for the Reds.

Seriously, Redding was a decent starter last year and if I see Jimbo trade a starter for another middling outfielder I am going to personally send him my letter giving up my season seats.

Nats Fan in KC

Posted by: mastroj | December 9, 2008 11:51 PM | Report abuse

The people who are saying that Redding was a decent starter last year clearly weren't one of the MASN 9,000!

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | December 10, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Why the hell was this deal even being considered? Don't we have more than our fair share of poor hitting outfielders?

Posted by: Liebercreep | December 10, 2008 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Thank god...

Posted by: Imjustlikemusiq | December 10, 2008 1:15 AM | Report abuse

While I like the idea of trading Redding, he's more useful to us than Taveras would be. Taveras is just not good- certainly not any better than our three best outfielders right now (Milledge, Dukes, Willingham).

Posted by: Offense-offensive | December 10, 2008 2:06 AM | Report abuse

I haven't read any of Tuesday's entries yet, but I did click over here to read the headlines. I saw "UPDATE: Redding-Taveras Deal." My neighbors will be coming by shortly to investigate the shriek of soul-wrenching anguish that issued from my lips.

I am grateful to have such fine people as my neighbors.

Posted by: Scooter_ | December 10, 2008 3:41 AM | Report abuse

Milledge is better now than Gonzalez and will be in the future. You don't trade Milledge!
Taveras! Give me a break.
Jeeves

Posted by: jcampbell1 | December 10, 2008 4:11 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like this bunch (bloggers)doesn't like this deal. I hope they're not just trying to make a trade for trades sake. More of the same makes no sense to me either. I don't think Tex is realistic either, so, hopefully they'll focus more on Dunn. Yes, he strikes out a plenty, but his bombs make it worth it. Go Nats...

Posted by: cokedispatch | December 10, 2008 7:20 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what made the Nationals balk if "Tavares for Redding" didn't already. Could they really have asked for two players?

I understand the interest in trading Redding, since the sun is setting on his career and he would be more use to us converted into prospects. But that's not Tavares.

And Dunn for Dunn's sake is nothing more than a time-killer. He would not be part of the plan.

Posted by: Section506 | December 10, 2008 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Having read every version of every rumor I could find, it seems to me that the Rockies intiated some action to pursue Redding and offered Taveras. Bowden asked for Gonzalez or Fowler (a young CF who is now likely blocked by Gonzalez). The Rockies may have countered wtih Koshansky (a 26 year old 1B with power who strikes out too much). The Nationals found the offer lacking. If the Rockies cannot move Taveras he could be non-tendered anyway. So there is a chance that even without a trade he could become available. However, it seems likely someone will pay something to keep him off the market. He's good enough to take a chance on.

I disagree with those who take the position that the Nationals should not pursue more outfielders because they already have Milledge, Willingham, Dukes, Kearns, and Pena. Of those players 0 made it through the year without going on the disabled list. Milledge seems most likely to make it through a year without a repeat visit, but the odds on the others is not as good. Bernadina is a nice player and I believe he will make it in the big leagues as a fourth/fifth outfielder. Maxwell is less certain. Casto is AAAA. Langerhans is limited. The Nats are trying to build a good team and good teams have more depth than the Nats currently have.

Like most players, Redding could go either way from here - he could get marginally better, or he could get worse. If he gets worse, he's unusable. Trade him while he has value. He has 2-3 decent pitches and he seems to work hard. Trade him. Sign a replacement. Or, give Clipaprd, Chico, or Mock a shot at it.

Posted by: natbisquit | December 10, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

if tavaras becomes a starter on this team i will sign the "fire jim bowden" petition.

Posted by: longterm | December 10, 2008 8:30 AM | Report abuse

you mean there wasn't a petition back in 2005?

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | December 10, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Please oh please JimBo-Stan don't make a bad trade just to validate your Vegas travel claim with Uncle Ted.

Here is a novel idea, find someone that can hit more then 15 homeruns a season and get him into the fold. Otherwise the saga of bad baseball in DC continues.

Its apparent they will probably walk away from the Bellagio empty handed, not many moving parts available when you have a negative 102 wrapped around your neck.

Two good piece of news, WFED plans to do a Nats Winter Meeting Wrap-up call-in show on Thursday night w/Craig Heist. Think its starts at 7P. Check out WFED.com for info.
MASN plans to start-up a one-hour "Hot-Stove" show as early as Friday night with Phil Woods speaking for the Nats and of course there will be a person or two from the "blo's" on hand to keep it "fair and balanced"! Check out MASN.COM for info.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | December 10, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

MLB.com said the Nats wanted a second player back and Houston would not budge. That is at least a step forward from taking one minor leaguer--Bonafacio--for Rauch. I agree that adding an outfielder--even Taveras--is fine for the moment given that constructing a trade may be the best way to land a left-handed first baseman. The more parts on hand, the easier to get what the team really needs. But trading Redding and Willingham for Gonzalez without a very good second part from Houston ignores that both or our pieces are major league proven, whereas Gonzalez is just potential. Three high-upside prospects for Willingham and Redding would be better still and the kind of trade we should be making.

Posted by: Juliasdad | December 10, 2008 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Willy T's OBP (the only stat that matters for a lead off man IMO) last year was .308. In comparison, Felipe Lopez had an OBP of .305 in his 100 games for the Nats last year. Is this the kind of nonsense we're going to trade an innings eating starting pitcher for?

Posted by: richardharless | December 10, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Taveras was one of the five worst regular players in the NL last season. his OPS+ was 56! his career OPS+ is 72! Nook Logan's career OPS+ was 75!!!

Logan can be picked up without trading Redding.

Taveras is good for one thing only: stealing second when one of his weak grounders dribbles through the infield.

Posted by: bottomfeeders10 | December 10, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Any team would be LUCKY to get Willy Taveras to play for them. The first year he signed with the Astros they went to the World Series and the first year that he signed with the Rockies they also went to the World Series. So he had a rough year? He was still stealing bases on a broken leg!

Posted by: spencers5 | December 12, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse