2009 Individual Ticket Prices Announced

This year, you'll be able to see a game at Nationals Park for anywhere between $5 and $325.

The Nationals today announced the prices for their individual game tickets in 2009. (See guide below.) All seating prices, compared with those in 2008, are either dropping or holding steady -- a trend that follows in step for wide price reductions with 2009 season tickets. For the upcoming season, the team's second at Nationals Park, Washington will decrease individual prices by $10 or more in over 4,500 seats, including 3,000 in the lower bowl. In total, 14,000 seat prices have been decreased.

These tickets will be available to the public beginning in early March. (Season tickets are already on sale.) One caveat: For the time being, tickets to the three home games against the Boston Red Sox (June 23-25) will be made exclusively available for those with season ticket packages. Individual tickets for the Sox games, the team said in an announcement today, "may be made available to the public via an online purchase opportunity in March and information regarding this opportunity will be released at a later date."

The priciest tickets at Nationals Park will remain the same in 2009, and that includes prices for the Lexus Presidents club -- a section that often went unfilled in 2008, creating a sense of emptiness for the television cameras. The very cheapest tickets for Nats games, meanwhile, are available as a game-day walk-up. The team said that the $5 tickets will be available on the day of the game only at the Nationals Park box office.

There's one other distinction to note. Prices for individual game tickets vary depending on whether or not it's a "premium game." The Nationals have given this designation to 18 of their home games for 2009, including the Opening Day game against Philadelphia.

Here's the full list of premium games: April 13 against Philadelphia (opener); May 15 against Philadelphia; May 16 against Philadelphia; May 22 against Baltimore; May 23 against Baltimore; June 5 against the New York Mets; June 6 against the New York Mets; June 20 against Toronto; June 23 against Boston; June 24 against Boston; June 25 against Boston; July 4 against Atlanta; July 16 against the Chicago Cubs; July 17 against the Chicago Cubs; July 18 against the Chicago Cubs; July 25 against San Diego; August 8 against Arizona; August 22 against Milwaukee.

TICKETS Sheet1.pdf

You can check out the stadium image here.

A fantastic interactive map for stadium season ticket prices and sightlines can be found here.

By Chico Harlan  |  January 21, 2009; 11:26 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Arbitration Numbers
Next: Peaceful, Positive Precedent to Zimm's Arbitration Case

Comments

Any rumors or rumblings regarding where the season ticket sales are headed? Our group dropped our plan for the upcoming season after having been in from the ground floor and I know of at least two other groups that have done the same. It would be very interesting to know how the sales are going so far with the lousy economy and equally lousy 2008 season. I suspect that the Lerners may be sweating a bit when they look at their projected revenues for 2009 and beyond if they don't start improving the product on the field.

Posted by: brewer1 | January 21, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

You know how bad season ticket sales are? Boswell noted in one of his chats (or was it a column) thathe had dropped his plan. The Bos!

Posted by: comish4lif | January 21, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I wish they wouldn't trumpet the price drops as something they're being benevolent about. They simply screwed up the pricing of those seats last year, and the market spoke. It's not out of the goodness of Uncle Teddy's cold, black heart.

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | January 21, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

My parents, wife and I dropped our plan this year too. We had a 20-game plan all four years, but this year we just won't have time to go to that many and were looking for a smaller plan. The Nats answer: make the smallest plan one game longer, 21 games. So, instead of selling us 4 seats for the 10-or-so games we'd like to pony up for, they have sold us nothing. Great business model for a team that hasn't made a bold move to improve the minor league team they were putting on a major league ball field last year. If people like us, who are pretty serious baseball fans and committed to the Nats as lifelong Washingtonians, have dropped our plan, I can't imagine what the casual fan, or the transplant from another city who really roots for another MLB team, is doing. Nats? No, Nuts.

Posted by: mvk20 | January 21, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm curious what other minor league baseball teams charge for admission?

Posted by: nativedc | January 21, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

We've been season ticket holders since the beginning and every year it's been a series of delays/errors etc. with our account. It happened again this winter. After all this time, they still can't seem to get organized. I only wish we could get our deposit for this year back. We definitely won't renew next year.

Posted by: JoeMac3 | January 21, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

*yawn*

I don't wanna hear about ticket prices, Mr. Lerner.

I wanna hear about acquiring a first baseman that will play more than 30 games.

I wanna hear about acquiring a power hitter that will hit 4th and hit 35-40 Hrs on a regular basis.

I don't care about ticket prices, I'll cross that bridge when I get to the box office at the stadium.

Get me some good players to watch.

Posted by: MrMadison | January 21, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I renewed my partial plan and upgraded seats while reducing number of tickets per game. I would not have upgraded if there had not been a price drop at field level. I'm still a little ambivalent about my new seating. I moved to field level, but its in the outfield instead of looking over 1B in the upper deck. From 320 to 110. Will I be happy?

As for season ticket sales, I would be shocked if sales were not down AT LEAST 30%. Whether you believe in the plan or not you cannot escape the fact that there have not been many moves this winter. I am quite confident that I can walk up to the ticket window and get a better ticket on game day than I can get as a partial season ticket holder. If I stop short of the ticket window, I can get it for half price.

Even in this economy it would seem to make sense to increase payroll just for the ticket sales. Even if you believe that The Plan calls for giving youngsters a chance to grow, you would have to concede that financially it makes more sense to drive more ticket sales, better viewership, and more listeners. Buy a free agent or two and you may be bale to get a return without retarding the development of young players.

Posted by: natbisquit | January 21, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Premium prices to see the Orioles at Nationals Park?

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 21, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

If memory serves, all Saturday games were at premium prices last year, JiM, and that included an O's game (which makes my head hurt). Luckily, the O's game that I attended last year was on Sunday and featured an awesome Belli walkoff...we pause now for a brief reverie...ahhh.... All games in the Cubs series were also at premium prices.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 21, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

This Nats organization sucks big time. There is absolutely nothing to write about this team. All we hear is that this player is too expensive, that player is too expensive, this guy does not fit our plan, that guy does not fit our plan, the other GM's are not offering us full value, etc. It is just excuse after excuse. I am a long suffering Expo fan. I wish this team would have folded. It is now truly an embarrassment.

The Lerners , Bowden , Kasten, etc are first class losers and liars. DC should sure them for breach of contract. The Nats are not a major league team and the Lerners are not trying to field a major league team.

Posted by: mjames0 | January 21, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

"If memory serves, all Saturday games were at premium prices last year"

Yes, most if not all Saturday games were premium games last year. However, despite that most times the Saturday games had the highest attendance of a weekend series. I think Saturdays almost always outdrew the Friday games. Sundays seemed to draw well too, but that is likely because they were the family-friendly games, i.e. lots of kids there in comparison with other days. So it would seem like the higher price for Saturday games did not hurt the attendance for them at all - which is pretty much the definition of a premium game, namely a game that people will willingly pay more in order to attend.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 21, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Great. They got the ticket price issue settled. I guess the Nats can take the rest of the year off. Well done!

I guess everything is pretty much taken care of now. Well, unless you're going to be picky. I mean, sure Washington won two more games all year, home and away, (59) than the Tampa Bay Rays won AT HOME (57). But that's a problem for another time.

At least we know that we won't have to pay more for the privilege of watching Ryan Zimmerman count down the days until he can get out of town. Thanks, Nats!

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | January 21, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

"All we hear is that this player is too expensive, that player is too expensive, this guy does not fit our plan, that guy does not fit our plan, the other GM's are not offering us full value, etc."

Really, when if ever do we hear these things from the mouths of anyone in the Nats FO? We don't. We see it written in places like mlbtraderumors, etc, and people like you extrapolate from that to think that the Nats FO is really saying such things.

"I am a long suffering Expo fan. I wish this team would have folded. It is now truly an embarrassment."

Sounds like sour grapes to me. They took your team away, so I can see why you'd be pissed. But why continue to follow the ex-Expos if you don't like the way they're going? You're free at this point to transfer your allegiance to any of the other 29 teams that aren't playing in Montreal (or Puerto Rico). Meanwhile, I'm a long-suffering DC native who didn't even have a team to root for for 34 years. I would say if anyone could claim to be embarrassed by this team in DC, it would be me rather than you. And I'm not embarrassed by them, or their owners. Disappointed sometimes, yes. But never yet embarrassed.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 21, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

They better release single-game tix to the Sox games scheduled in June. Even the beloved Red Sox are not incentive enough to buy season tickets to this poor-playing Nats team. It's easier to root for the former when you see their management consistently do things the right way. Papelbon and the team avoided arbitration. Several other teams have avoided arbitration with their stars and starlets. No news for our team - in this case, no news does not mean good news.

Posted by: samantha7 | January 21, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"Meanwhile, I'm a long-suffering DC native who didn't even have a team to root for for 34 years. I would say if anyone could claim to be embarrassed by this team in DC, it would be me rather than you. And I'm not embarrassed by them, or their owners. Disappointed sometimes, yes. But never yet embarrassed."

DITTO nunof1!

I'm keeping my 21 game plan (21 because it now includes Opening Day).

Oh and Lerners, give Ryan Z what he wants!

Posted by: CALSGR8 | January 21, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

You tell 'em, nunof1! That goes for me, too.

Posted by: nats24 | January 21, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Me three.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 21, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Or perhaps four. I've lost track.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 21, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, technically I'm keeping my self-made, cobbled-together mini plan, brought to natsfans1a, b, and c by, well, me, since 2005.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 21, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

This post is directed at the Nationals. How about a six pack, or a 10 game plan? Back in the day the O's had a thing up at Memorial called "A Year of Sundays" where the package was all Sunday games, which turned out to be a dozen games. Come on Nats, this is Business 101 at Maryland.

Posted by: 6thandD | January 21, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

The Orioles still have the Sunday package, as far as I know. My parents had it when I was in college and they loved it.

The Nationals could take several lessons from the Caps, who were offering a huge array of ticket packages this summer. Of course, the Caps have a good product and the Nats don't, but I don't see the Nats rebuilding themselves like the Caps, either.

Posted by: RedBirdie | January 21, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

6thandD, RedBirdie, I'd love to see either of those options. However, when asked about this in the past, the Nats suggested visiting the team site and putting together one's own package. As noted above, I've always assembled my own packages, but I buy in advance at the box office so as not to pay service and "delivery" fees for printing via my own computer (consarn it).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 22, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse