Cordero Drawing Some Interest

Just time to throw out a few tidbits before heading to the dentist.

The Marlins are interested in Chad Cordero. I think mlbtraderumors had it first; here's what the Marlins' mlb site says. Sounds like the Marlins and Tigers are the most interested parties at the moment. The Dodgers, for instance, are only monitoring him; the Phillies are keeping tabs on him.

Meanwhile, this guy's going to an inaugural ball and we're not.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  January 15, 2009; 8:37 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: OF Dukes Faces Jail If Child Support Remains Unpaid
Next: Nats, A's Revive Nick Johnson Trade Talks

Comments

Speak for yourself, Tracee.

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 15, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Looks like they're keeping Barry busy during the Skins offseason:

Maybe we could get him to do a guest spot on NJ about how much he'll miss Panera this March? Or at least to say hello and give us his impression on how the football beat is different from the baseball beat.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 15, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I would still like to see Chad Cordero in an National's uniform next year and beyond. I read that the Nationals were among the many teams that watched him throw recently. Perhaps we can still get him to come back. I don't see him being a closer for at least another 12 months, but he might be able to contribute to the bullpen.

On another topic, Josh Towers, Gustavo Chacin, Mike O'Connor, Wil Ledezma, and Matt Chico could be the Syracuse Rotation to start the Year. In truth, I suspect 1 or more of them to be released. Martis, Estrada, Atliano, and Clippard could also end up in AAA rotation if they don't make the MLB club. Each has an opportunity to make a case for themselves. Ledezma or Chacin could end up as a second LH reliever behind Hinckley.

I don't know where Matt Chico is in his recovery from surgery, but I still think he can be a back of rotation starter for a MLB team for a few years if healthy. Josh Towers was cannon fodder in 2007 and spent 2008 in the minors, but offers some protection in case of injury. Martis seems to have some real potential and Estrada and Atliano seem likely to see some innings in DC this year too. It will be interesting to see who (if any of these guys) can step forward to fill out the Nationals staff this year.

Posted by: natbisquit | January 15, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Go Chadley!

Posted by: rb-freedom-for-all | January 15, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I hope Abe gets a touchup before the Ball or at least before the home opener -- at the end of last season a part of his 'hair' (the fabric stretched across the frame or mold) was torn.

On a related topic, I also hope Screech is drycleaned or power-washed during the off-season ...

Posted by: MCarroll63 | January 15, 2009 10:42 PM | Report abuse