Brewers Still Watching Cordero

From Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

[Brewers assistant GM Gordon] Ash said the Brewers were still discussing whether to put in an offer to the agent of former Washington closer Chad Cordero, who held a throwing session in California last week for interested clubs. Cordero is coming off shoulder surgery and is not expected to be ready to pitch until a month or two into the season.
"It's a risk decision," said Ash. "It's a matter of how much (financial) risk you want to take. His agent has let it be known he's going to sign somewhere."
And this little note that includes a former Nat:
None of the former big-leaguers who attended the Brewers' tryout camp last Tuesday in Phoenix was offered a contract for 2009. That group included Mark Bellhorn, Randall Simon and Robert Fick.

By Tracee Hamilton  |  January 18, 2009; 8:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hot Stove Dinner, Cold Town
Next: This, and That [Update]

Comments

i think the best move we can make right now is to sign o-dog. that's probably the only thing we should do also. besides help the bullpen.

this is the sucker bet that i'd take. nick johnson will remain healthy this year.

that alone gives us a respectable lineup with very good defense. it settles our lineup by inserting a leadoff hitter, improves offense at 2b, adds a gold glover to the infield, and willingham can backup first and clear outfield spot for playing time.

signing him for one year is great as a trade chip or let him walk and receive compensation pick. signing him 3 or 4 years is great as a bargain dollar value.

i really like the idea of zimmerman, guzman, hudson, johnson as an infield. i think all our pitchers would too.

that's a high upside sucker bet. besides, if we are terrible again next year the number one overall pick is gonna be another absolute stud.

Posted by: longterm | January 18, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

[RF]! (for nostalgia's sake)

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 18, 2009 9:25 AM | Report abuse

A scientist at Cardiff said that the 3rd Monday in Jan. is the most depressing day of the year. The bills from the Christmas potlatch are due, the days still short, and no big holiday in the offing. We have found the antidote in the Nats' home town. Honor an inspirational hero, then inaugurate a president whose election was as likely as the Nats winning the world series this year. You heard it here first!

Posted by: flynnie1 | January 18, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Every time I listen to Martin Luther King's speech to the Memphis garbage workers just before he was assassinated, and I hear him say, "Long life is a blessing. But I'm not worried. Because I've been to the mountaintop. My eyes have seen the glory!" I think "inspirational hero" sells Dr. King short. I think he was a saint.

Posted by: flynnie1 | January 18, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

The exact quote:

"And then I got into Memphis. And some began to say that threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers?

Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord.

Posted by: flynnie1 | January 18, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@longterm:
If NJohnson picks a year to stay healthy, this is it (contract year). I too, would like to see the Nationals ink Hudson - a one or two year deal would be nice, as would the IF alignment you mentioned.

I'd also like to see guys like Pena, Willingham & Kearns get ST reps at 1B as a back-up plan.

Posted by: BinM | January 18, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Here's to Pena, Wilingham and Kearns batting .300 each with slugging %'s +.4999! And the March to the World Series begins to take tangible shape!

Posted by: flynnie1 | January 18, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but they're in Cardiff. I'm just sayin.
Not even Dr. Who (the show, not the character) stays there.

*****************
Posted by: flynnie1 | January 18, 2009 11:15 AM

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 18, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@flynnie:

I'd just be happy with one of them generating enough positive work in ST to be considered a reliable RH backup at 1B. If two of them get hot, swap one for a middle infield prospect &/or a pitcher. I'd like to see the FO take a more agressive approach to building the orginazation than they've shown in the past.

Posted by: BinM | January 18, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

FTR, I'm agnostic on Dunn, but overpaying some (<= 3/30) for Hudson seems like a good idea to me, among others http://tinyurl.com/7z3nmv .

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 18, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

@CE:
Hudson is a plus player addition, in my books (hits leadoff, good leather, reportedly good in clubhouse); all that, and he mentioned back in November that he'd like to at least talk to the Nationals.

Dunn, not so much - I've been campaigning against him for day one, and the Nationals would need to clear some players off the roster (particularly in LF) to give him the AB's he would need to make the signing worth it.

Posted by: BinM | January 18, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Dating back to previous post, CE defending JB's negativity is like Joel Hanrahan saying it's not so bad that Saul Rivera can't hold runners.

[Obscure reference Hanrahan allowed 11 SB without a single caught Stealing; Saul Rivera allowed 13 without a caught stealing]

(Normally I try not to make jokes that have to be explained, but I was trying to work in that caught stealing stuff...slick right?)

Posted by: natbisquit | January 18, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

JayBeee "skews" negative? Go on now. Next you'll be telling me that the Pope "skews" Catholic. But, like the Pope, this we know: JayBeee is infallible. YayBeee, JayBeee!

Posted by: AnAppallingLackOfBaseballKnowledge | January 18, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@bisquit:

If SB/CS ratios were the worst thing we had to worry about in 2009 in the Nationals bullpen, I'd be a happy camper.

Posted by: BinM | January 18, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's not so much defending it, as defending his right to it, but whatever. The point was that he argues baseball, which I and others value, and doesn't (usually) skew toward pointless namecalling. Even if he can't spell for siht.
I agree, negativity has a higher bar to meet, because it's easy to do. But still.

***********
Posted by: natbisquit | January 18, 2009 1:35 PM

-----

Posted by: AnAppallingLackOfBaseballKnowledge | January 18, 2009 2:01 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 18, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

I took your meaning, CE (and I agree).

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 19, 2009 10:11 AM | Report abuse