Dibble Replaces Sutton In Booth

The Nationals will have a new color man this year for their TV broadcasts: the always-colorful Rob Dibble. MASN announced today that Dibble has signed a multi-year deal to broadcast the games alongside Bob Carpenter. Dibble is replacing Don Sutton, who requested a release from his contract -- presumably to take a broadcasting job with the Atlanta Braves.

After finishing his playing career (he had a great fastball and a bad temper), Dibble made a name for himself with ESPN. According to the MASN release, Dibble worked briefly with Carpenter at the Worldwide Leader. Since leaving ESPN, Dibble has also worked at Fox, for a period co-hosting The Best Damn Sports Show Period.

Dibble will debut in the booth come spring training.

We'll have more this afternoon on the addition.

In the meantime, Sutton said, in a quote issued by MASN, that "I have truly enjoyed the two years I had in Washington covering the Nationals and working for MASN. I will always be thankful that my wife Mary, my daughter Jackie and I had this experience. MASN is a first-class operation and deserves great credit for their pioneering success at presenting the Nationals games and effectively promoting the team. I appreciate that MASN has granted my request to be released for personal reasons, and I'm grateful for their understanding and cooperation. I'm going to miss the class, the professionalism and the friendship of the folks who made sure we got good pictures on the air."

By Chico Harlan  |  January 27, 2009; 12:52 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Friends Recruiting Friends
Next: Dibble: "I'm Never Going To Be a Homer"

Comments

Glass half-full? It's not Ray Knight

Posted by: Brian_ | January 27, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Glass half-empty? He can't play first or hit 25 home runs. And I think he's a righty.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 27, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if Dibble's decision has anything to do with a reshuffling on XM Home Plate? Seems like a lot of the on-air guys who had been there - Charley Steiner, Mark Patrick, Ronnie Lane - have left since Sirius and XM merged. How soon before he comes high and inside on Carpy?

Posted by: leetee1955 | January 27, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Rob Dibble is dumber than Joe Morgan and Tim McCarver put together. Not only will nats games be unwatchable, but they'll be unlistenable too.

Posted by: Section406 | January 27, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to miss Sutton. Thank you for your two years of service Don! You were a pleasure to listen to even when things weren't such a pleasure to watch.

Posted by: Keenan1 | January 27, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I like this move a lot! Sutton never liked the Nats and always talked too much about his Braves days for my taste. This past year it seems like Bobby C finally got the drift that we don't care about the Cards.

Sec406....Joe Morgan and Dumb do not go together at all.....Morgan knows more baseball than anyone alive in my view. Dibble was great on XM….any my guess is he will know who pays the bills and become very knowledge about the Nats and their players….I welcome his insight.

Posted by: Season_Ticket_Holder_Class_05 | January 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

How can a team get worse without losing or adding a player? This is how.

Posted by: DCBuff | January 27, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

I hated Sutton. I don't know if dibs will be any better, but he couldn't be much worse.

Posted by: WrongDog | January 27, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Knowing the team is not necessarily a requirement (See Ron Darling).

I won't miss Sutton. I liked his analysis of pitchers but hated his love of the Braves and anything Georgia related. I dont care about Cairo, GA and hope to never hear a reference to that place. When you watch the games alot -- yes I was one of the 5,000 homes with the game always on -- Sutton was just too repetative, with the same analysis and same stories over and over.

I liked Dibble on ESPN and am looking forward to someone other than Sutton.

New poster here -- I miss the natfanatics site.

Posted by: alm1000 | January 27, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see how they're gonna cover all his tats. The dude has a ton of them... FWIW I, too, loved him on XM and the Dan patrick show years ago. Should be cool...

Posted by: Berndaddy | January 27, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

But...but...alm...Super Willie is from Cairo...dude...

Also, Steinberg has a poll up re. Dibble:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Just saw the latter part of your posting, alm. Welcome to NJ. I miss the natfanatics site, too. In fact, I inquired about it the other day and they said they hoped to be back up again by Spring Training.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I hate MASN with every fiber of my being.

oh, and since when does "I'm taking another job" = "Personal Reasons"?

we all know Sutton is going back to the Braves.

Posted by: MrMadison | January 27, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

In six words? Nats acquire yet another former Red.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 27, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Chico forgot to include the ellipses. What Sutton actually said was this:

"I have truly enjoyed the two years I had in Washington covering the Nationals and working for MASN, even though I could barely disguise my contempt for Bob Carpenter on the air. I will always be thankful that my wife Mary, my daughter Jackie and I had this experience, but thank god we're headed home to Atlanta. As a condition for getting out of my contract, I promised to say that MASN is a first-class operation and deserves great credit for their pioneering success at presenting the Nationals games and effectively promoting the team, at least to the few people that managed to locate the channel, tolerate a low-quality picture and that bungling bozo Carpy. I appreciate that MASN has granted my request to be released for personal reasons (and believe me, when comes to Carpy it's personal) and I'm grateful for their understanding and cooperation. I'm going to miss the class, the professionalism and the friendship of the folks who made sure we got good pictures on the air, all of whom exist only in my imagination."

Posted by: BobLHead | January 27, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"Morgan knows more baseball than anyone alive"

When did Roger Kahn die?

Posted by: Wooden_U_Lykteneau | January 27, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Classic, BobL...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Man, I was leaning towards 1a's closing response from the last thread, but that little number just stole Post of the Day honors, BobLHead.

Really, though, you're all winners in my book. You've been on since the Glover signing and show no signs of slowing.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 27, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

One of you had a great idea in NJ the other day... Phil Wood? He is great, knows everything about (washington) baseball, and has already worked with others on MASN. (If not Phil, then why not someone else who has a local flavor?)Do they think anyone with local ties knows nothing about baseball? This is the COLOR position anyway.

Posted by: 1of9000 | January 27, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, this stinks. I wouldn't say that I've ever been a huge Sutton fan, but he never sent me scrambling for the mute button, and at least he had a fair amount of intelligent commentary to offer. Dibble is awful. The guy just never shuts his fat trap. I'm trying to think of a worse replacement for Sutton, and I can't come up with one. Paciorek, Darling, Lo Duca? I'd much rather have any of those guys. Or just let Carpenter do the games solo.

I guess I'm going to have to watch the game with the radio on and learn to deal with the sound and picture being out of sync.

Posted by: joebleux | January 27, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Chico - thanks for reminding me to put a radio right next to my TV.

Posted by: Kev29 | January 27, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Man this is a shocker. Dibs lives in LA these days. Must be willing to give up his XM gig and that Fox Sports thing that he was doing. He is an east coast guy growing up in Conn, but man why would he want to do the daily grind with this team?. I like Dibs he adds just another dimension to the Reds puzzle that must make PTBowden all wet in his leather pants. Maybe Adam Dunn is not to far behind. Also heard that Sean Casey (according to Kevin Kennedy) is looking to get in the booth, imagine he must be on Bowdens short list too.

Sutton was the consumate bore, he can take his folksy yarn and go back to Atlanta and spin it there. Now all they have to do is dump Blow-Dry Carpenter and all will be right with the world.

Posted by: TippyCanoe | January 27, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

BobL, I'm a little surprised at the vitriol coming from you! You are the reasoned voice of strong baseball knowledge on this blog - guess we finally found out what your hot button was.

Gotta say, I've enjoyed the Glover snark, illusions, and puns, not to mention the strong addition of how we can be sure that Dunn and Zimmerman are best friends forever, as much as anything since the Willie Harris jokes last summer - other than some actual discussion of baseball, that is.

Posted by: Traveler8 | January 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I was going to post this in the earlier thread but forgot. I like the idea of signing Glavine for all of the other reasons that have been identified (veteran presence to mentor young arms, because there will always be injuries, etc.), but I also think it might be wise to keep some of the kids that have been mentioned as potential starters in the minors for the few months that it takes to keep them an extra year away from arbitration/free agency.

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | January 27, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

OMG! Dibble on XM Home Plate just said words to the effect of a "Reds Reunion in Washington" about his new role with Mr. Angelos's Sports Network.

Posted by: leetee1955 | January 27, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't think there is much to the Glavine rumor, sure he has a history with Kasten, but why would he want to come play for the Nats? One more year in the sun is fine, and maybe if he plans to transition to a pitching coach after he retires, but I just don't see the reasoning on his part.

To hash out the Dunn/Hudson issue again, i think Dunn may very well be coming to DC. First I think the Nats will be the only team willing to give him 2 guaranteed years, but more importantly I think the pitch is that he will play LF and fill in at 1B if (ok when) Nick Johson is injured. Dunn has made it very clear he does not want to DH and would probably not like to make a "permanent" position move at this point in his career (and more importantly in his current FA status).

I don't see Hudson coming at all. First he costs us our 2nd round draft pick. That alone should kill this idea. Secondly, his defense seems to be in decline (whereas we have several as good or better defensive option in the system - Hernandez/Gonzales/Harris) his bat isn't THAT great and with Dunn potentially at 1B and Guz at SS it would be worthwhile to have a top drawer defender between them.

Here are my opening day starters;
1. Lannan (getting the nod over Olsen)
2. Flores

5. Zimmerman
6. Guzman
7. Milledge
8. Dukes
9. Willingham

Posted by: estuartj | January 27, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I would love Glavine too but, that would require the Lerners actually paying someone more than league minimum and that ain't happening.

Unless of course, they are a no hit, injury prone RF, chubby, no glove 1B, or a severely injury prone 1B who averages about 40 games a year. Then they acually overpay.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 27, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Leetee - you can't handle the truth?

By the way, is Dibble a twin?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | January 27, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, JiM. Traveler, no vitriol here, I actually liked Sutton, I just don't think he and Carpy were a good mix. Sutton often found it necessary to go out of his way to correct Carp at times, and it was rumored that Sutton was the reason they initially let go of Carpy. So I was just snarking around with that concept.

Posted by: BobLHead | January 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Jim Bowden, Elijah Dukes, Lastings Milledge..and now Dibble! yikes ...what do you have to do ..be a stone cold dope to be a National?
I thought Sabean was the worst GM, then Bowden signs 7 outfielders and now wants Nady!
National fans get ready for Dibs to talk in cirles all summerlong with non-sensical jibber. XM's loss is XM's listeners gain, this will only make Sutton look like a genius. Perhaps President Obama can bail these nit wits out by some Executive miracle! OMG

Posted by: swiftbosox | January 27, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I'll give Dibble a chance, but I wish he had a more melifulous voice and a little more tenor to his tone. I did not like him on ESPN or FOX but he grew on me on XM.

The XM management needed to break him and Kennedy up because they kept telling the same stories over and over and over. And they knew each others stories too well. In fact that's my biggest fear: Dibble will tell the Cinncinati stories and Carpenter will counter with the Cardinals stories and in the background there will be a Nationals game going on. (Not that Sutton didn't ramble on about the braves from time to time). My second biggest fear is that Dibble will add intensity not befitting a baseball game. If can avoid both those things, he could be alright.

Posted by: natbisquit | January 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

i look foward to this change. I hated sutton when he was on tbs with the dreaded braves and hated him on masn. he seems like a nice person/class act though just imo he is boring all he knows is pitching (as he should being a HOF pitcher) and not much about hitting. Now if the product on the field can start producing!!! GO NATS

Posted by: NATSFAN10 | January 27, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Rob Dibble. Oh yeah. Can't wait.

Posted by: inthestreetindustry | January 27, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

If Dibble mentions his tatoos one time on the air I will barf in my living room. That was about 20% of his conversational material on ESPN. The guy has no insight, and no personality other than being the biggest bore in the room. There must be 500 unemployed ex-baseball players that could have been a better pick. Even Dibble's ex-wife could have been a better pick. At least she could give an interesting slant on the psychology of former relief pitchers. The Carpenter/Sutton pairing was too homey, too syrupy. This pairing is already rancid.

Posted by: driley | January 27, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Dibble... this is gonna be interesting, seems like a not so likable guy...

Posted by: rachel216 | January 27, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow, section 505203, no offense, but you are the poster child for why this blog is almost unreadable now.

When DY was heading to the all star game and everyone at RFK were wearing "Save da Meathook" tee shirt and people on this blog were saying if they traded him they would stop watching, where were you?

Who can really blame Jim Bowden that FOUR 1Bmen went down? Ok NJ has injury history, Dmitri has diabetes (but was playing great when they extended him), but for Boone and Belliard to go down too? That is just CRAZY!

Sure we have too many OFers on the roster, but in reality only 4 have any chance of being on the 25 man out of ST, Willingham, Dukes, Milledge, Kearns and maybe Harris (though I think he's back to being an IFer for '09).

Teixeira would have been great, but all the other options, players and pitchers after that have serious questions.

If we sign Ben Sheets and he pitches fewer innings than Shawn Hill in '09 will you be defending that signing then? If we sign Adam Dunn and ship Nick Johnson to the A's or whovever and he finally puts together that 150 game season we've been hoping for will you still be calling for FA signings as the answer to all that ailes us?

As for Glavine, if he wants to spend on more year on the mound and take on a player/coach role I'm all for it, but thats some big IFS and I'm still more in favor of playing young guys with talent and potential insead of guys just trying to get one more year of paychecks...this team was so much more interesting to watch after Lopez/Estrada/LoDuca/etal were shipped out, better to watch young guys struggle to learn and win then to watch vets who just don't or can't care anymore going through the motions.

If we see any more big moves I hope JimBow goes out and aquired some youngsters via trade like Kansas City's KK (1B) or Colorado's Gonzalez (CF).

Just my opinion, I could be wrong...but i'm not.

Posted by: estuartj | January 27, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Does it really matter? Only 9,000 people watch the games on MASN.

Personally, Don Sutton on-air sounds arrogant and his Jheri curls a tad out-dated.

Posted by: jctichen | January 27, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

It's been pretty amazing, has it not? I guess one can only comment about commenting (metacomment?) so many times before it gets old, but the responses over the last few days have almost been better than a big FA signing announcement.

Almost.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 27, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Joe Morgan was - no doubt - a great baseball player and I don't think you;d get an argument from anyone here.

But a great baseball mind? No. Not at all. If you listen to him, he talks like he hasn't learned anything about baseball since he retired. Don't confuse being a great player with being a great baseball thinker.

Posted by: comish4lif | January 27, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

"There must be 500 unemployed ex-baseball players that could have been a better pick. Even Dibble's ex-wife could have been a better pick. "

Fick would have been a better pick. Maybe he should have been texting MASN in addition to Bowden.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

At least Dibble will provide a more recent perspective on the game in comparison to Sutton. Have a buck, will travel -- that was Sutton's motto, so he and his perm are heading back to Atlanta.

Posted by: bmgold1 | January 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

When Dibble's daily program comes on XM Radio I shut the radio off. He is insufferable. Combine him with Carpenter and you have a disaster.

Posted by: bupbups | January 27, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I've listened to Dibble a lot on XM Radio, also (just..can't...turn...it...off), and he's terrible. He and Kennedy were the worst ever. I hated Sutton, too.

Nats Management, get out of my head, and stop making moves that are solely intended to drive me crazy. What have I done to deserve this?

Isn't it Dibble that thinks steroids are overblown, because you still have to hit the ball?

Posted by: mike8 | January 27, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

i know im glad suttons back in atlanta so he can suck off his girlfriend larry 162 games

Posted by: theredskin | January 27, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone check out Steinberg's chat today? There were a bunch of questions, and he was being totally Nats friendly (or, as friendly as a person who likes successful teams can be)in his responses. I particularly enjoyed his reference to the Nats being like the Caps with Strasbourg being Ovechkin, while the Wiz were...well...something else.

Anyways, here's the link:

Posted by: NattyDelite | January 27, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@1of9k:
The Phil Wood suggestion was mine, as a toungue-in-cheek response to the same-old, same-old that seem to fill the color analyst spot in so many booths.

I'll give Dibble a fair shot in ST telecasts, and if he turns into a boor, I'll just drop back to my standard solution (TV on & muted, listing to Charlie & Dave).

Posted by: BinM | January 27, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, BinM, if you get another TV, you can pull off the trifecta: watch the game on TV, listen to the game on the radio, and play along on MLB 2009 The Show for your Playstation.

And yes, I will admit to pulling this off.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 27, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I loved - loved this result.

Duke --- 85
Maryland --- 44

Dematha HS would easily defeat Maryland.

Prediction:

Boston College -- 83
Maryland -- 62

Maryland will finish with a 15 - 16 record

No NCAA bid

No NIT bid

How can any parent, let their son play for a program like Maryland - with a 10 % graduation rate.

Carolina blue - Carolina WHITE - Go Tar Heels ! - Let's go Tar Heels !

Posted by: hclark1 | January 27, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

So Chase Wright looks to have decent numbers. I would welcome someone telling me why he doesn't make sense.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 27, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

hclark1, I think you have the wrong blog. We're the other "b" sport.

I just realized, I haven't seen 506 BM in awhile, where's he at? I hope that he hasn't followed the path of natscan, hendo, jpsfanandproudofit (ok...maybe that one doesn't need to be in the group...) and others!

Posted by: NattyDelite | January 27, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

NOTE TO COMISH4LIF: Joe Morgan is smart and insightfull and knowledgeable he and John Miller mesh very well together that being said he comes off to some as arrogant and self serving but i've always enjoyed his analysis. Rob Dibble? why wouldn't we hire Phil Wood or is Wood not suited for that role? man Rob Dibble, i can barely stomach him on the BDSSP and now for a 162 games WHOA!!!

Posted by: dargregmag | January 27, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

I have never been much of a fan of Sutton and Carpenter. On the other hand, I am a HUGE fan of the Nats' radio team of Charlie Slowes and Dave Jaegeler, who in my opinion (formed from listening to EVERY team's radio broadcasts over XM) are the very best baseball radio team in existence at the present time.

It's a shame they have all these varying broadcast time delays now. I have a Dickens of a time trying to sync the radio sound with the television picture.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | January 27, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

And Nattydelite, don't forget e and flynnie
Don't hear much from Wigi or Jenn X or, man, i forget, but he(she) was all about youth and the future and is a personal favorite. And, as you said, there are others.
Jeeves

Posted by: jcampbell1 | January 27, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Interesting Sutton didn't even mention Carpenter. Great relationship huh?
Even though I liked him in the beginning, his act was starting to wear thin. But then again how many ways can you stay positive and say "Now that was a great swing. Too bad he just missed it for strike 3."
The thought of having to do that any more probably scared the bejesus outta him. He couldn't wait to get away from the Senators.

Posted by: dovelevine | January 27, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

@Jim:

LOL! I'll admit to the trifecta of MASN/MASN2 on (mute), radio on & blogging between here & NFA on many occaisions, & jumping to the TV to see a replay that Charlie or Dave were vocal about.

Posted by: BinM | January 27, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

@Delite:
Hendo still posts to the NFA blog - you might try catching up with him there.

Posted by: BinM | January 27, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Folks, there's not much meat left on the bone here (minor-league signings & a Color announcer change; I mean, c'mon). Harlan's reportedly "buggin' out" again for a few days - Oh, for a signing that might mean something to the current and future Nationals...
Maybe Tracee or Sheinin can toss us a few biscuits in the meantime. Until then, BinM - over & out.

Posted by: BinM | January 27, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

So, if Pres. Obama, a noted White Sox fan, throws out the first ball, should they have Abe come out in a White Sox cap?

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 27, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Can we stop doing the "potential" lineups people? Its was crap a month ago and its crap today...oh man, we are in for another long season.

Posted by: BigCarter28 | January 27, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Hendo save his good stuff for his own blog on NationalsPride.com. Wigi I think has his own blog, too.

Dibble's twin? that'd be the double dibble.

And if he sponsored a race at Laurel, which would it be?

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | January 27, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

OBA - .416
SLG - .474

2 out RISP

BA - .214
OBA - .440
SLG - .443

He will not swing at a bad pitch, even with runners in scoring position.

#4

Posted by: db423 | January 27, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

"why wouldn't we hire Phil Wood or is Wood not suited for that role?"

Maybe he doesn't want to be on the road half of the time for six months out of the year. Would you?

Posted by: nunof1 | January 27, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Wigi's is the Planetary Nats Blog, natbisquit and jca.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

masn should try to save a dime and just pump the Charlie and Dave radio audio into their telecast.

Posted by: 6thandD | January 28, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

I love Charlie and Dave! Don't know what I would have done without them last season...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 28, 2009 8:35 AM | Report abuse

With the Lerner's penchant for being...um, frugal, why didn't they simply decide to just simulcast the games with Charlie and Dave? Since that is a moot point, the next best thing would be to dump Carpenter and rotate Charlie and Dave into the TV booth with (ugh) Dibble. Maybe Phil Wood (if he wanted to) could be hired and stay as permanent radio colour man. Just trying to think of ways that the TV broadcasts could be watchable.

Posted by: MarcJMilzman | January 28, 2009 9:24 AM | Report abuse