Nats Invite 63 To Spring Training

With spring training 30 days away, the Nats today issued the full list of those players invited to the team's big league camp. As of now, 63 players are coming: all 39 on the current 40-man roster, and 24 non-roster invitees. You can download the player roster here.

spring training.pdf

Some other things to keep an eye on...

* This year's camp will be noticeably smaller, or at least less populated. Never before in their District history (since 2005) have the Nats opened camp with fewer than 70 players.

* Destin Hood, an outfielder drafted in the second round last year, is the youngest invitee.

* Chris Marrero (the first-round pick from 2006) will not be in camp.

* By my feel, P Jordan Zimmermann is (by far) the most likely non-roster invitee to make the team. Most in the organization feel he's the favorite to become the staff's No. 5 starter, barring any future offseason signings/trades.

* A few familiar faces from last season -- players at the time on the 40-man roster -- help make up the non-roster list. Among them: Jesus Colome, Dmitri Young, Pete Orr and Ryan Langerhans.

* Take particular note of Colome. The Nationals signed him last night to a non-guaranteed minor-league deal, bringing him back to the organization that released him on December 10. Colome had pitched in 2007 and 2008 as a reliever with the Nats,

By Chico Harlan  |  January 15, 2009; 5:06 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats, A's Revive Nick Johnson Trade Talks
Next: Cordero, Jones, Kasten, etc.

Comments

Lessee...one player for every 2009 win?

Posted by: leetee1955 | January 15, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

ORR!

He's going to take that fantasy football championship momentum and earn a solid roster spot on the bench.

For the Chiefs.

ORR!

Posted by: LosDoceOcho | January 15, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

why are we letting Colome hang around?

Posted by: MrMadison | January 15, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@leetee: Isn't it a little early in the year to be showing that much snark? It's cold outside - put on some humility, or you'll catch a cold.

Posted by: BinM | January 15, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Seconding Mr. Madison.

Please stop toturing me with Colume!

Posted by: dcbatgirl | January 15, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

@MrM: maybe it's because his languid pace on the mound reminds us all to slow down & enjoy life, particularly in the spring.

Posted by: BinM | January 15, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Friends don't let friends have Jesus Colome in their bullpen.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | January 15, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps that's it, BinM. Also the butt-of-our-jokes potential is off the charts...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 15, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

from DCRTV:
WFED Announces Nats' Spring Training Sked - 1/15 - Bonneville's WFED (1500 and 820 AM) has released the dates of 10 Washington Nationals Radio broadcasts to air during spring training. Highlights include the home opener at Space Coast Stadium on 2/26, two match-ups with National League East division rival New York Mets, and three games against the Baltimore Orioles. Nationals radio play-by-play announcers Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler return. In addition to game broadcasts, WFED will again carry two Nationals programs, "Nats Talk Live" and "Nat Insider".....

Posted by: BGinVA | January 15, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

following up on my last post...

Washington Nationals Baseball on Federal News Radio
THU 3/19 vs BAL 1500/820/1050 1:05pm
FRI 4/03 @ BAL
from Norfolk, VA 1500/820/1050 3:30pm
SAT 4/04 vs BAL
EXB from Nats Park 1500/820/1050 6:05pm

Posted by: BGinVA | January 15, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

"barring any future offseason signings/trades."

HAHAHAHHAAH

Posted by: Uncle_Teddy | January 15, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse

@1a1: Zing!

Posted by: BinM | January 15, 2009 6:37 PM | Report abuse

@BG: WFED for 2009, AM feed only?... {sigh}. Maybe they'll pick up an FM feed (w/some repeaters) that actually carries south & west of the Beltway before the season starts.

Posted by: BinM | January 15, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you in hoping for an FM feed, BinM. The signal is weaker than Grandma's coffee in my neck of the woods.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 15, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Thanks to BG for the radio info. In looking at the site (federalnewsradio.com), I see that they will also have a special Nats Fest broadcast from noon to 1:50 p.m. on January 25. Wonder whether I'll be able to pick up the signal at the park? :-D Nats Fan Fest. Be there. Aloha.

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 15, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

OK, what did I miss? 1500 AM, when it was WTOP, had about the best signal in the area. I could easily pick it up on the Jersey turnpike, especially on a clear winter night. Did they move the frequency to another transmitter?

Frankly, it's no wonder that Radio is dying. If it wasn't for my iPod & Podcasts, I'd go satellite with no hesitation.

Posted by: Catcher50 | January 15, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Apparently 1500 AM, while strong, is a highly directional signal. Which explains why it's easier sometimes to pick it up far away from Washington than it is to pick it up locally. Also, its signal may be reduced or forced to become more directional after dark, although I'm not sure about that. Personally I've never had any trouble picking it up either at my house in Merrifield or at RFK or Nationals Park. Not so with the former FM signal, though. That was unavailable in my house.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 15, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Colome would be fine if he didn't take 90 seconds between pitches. Can you imagine how long it would take Colome to pitch to Adam Dunn. That's an easy 5 minute at-bat ending in a walk. But Jesus did have a pretty good 2007.

Also on the radio, MLB Gameday does offer the oppotunity to listen to the radio broadcasts via internet. And of course XM gives you the hometeam broadcasts. The major problem with that is that I go to the home games and when I listen to XM I miss the Charlie & Dave broadcasts. (They really are very good). I do hear most NL team radio broadcasters and there are several very special ones like the Cubs, but Charlie and Dave are a joy to listen to.

Regarding Nick Johnson, I really do hope that he will be able to play a full season this year whether it is for the Nats or not. The guy has to be tortured inside. He knows he has talent, but somehow he always gets hurt. As Bowden says, don't blame the player. But after you get caught short handed 3 times in 4 years you do have to make a move. I've got to believe Bowden and Acta are tempted to go with Nick again because he has the skills, but you just can't go into another year without a legitimate option.

Posted by: natbisquit | January 15, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

how much would it cost to take a flyer on andruw jones/would it be worth it? not sure why the nationals are so bent on a centerfielder but this guy used to be pretty good and is now availible

Posted by: mdb280 | January 16, 2009 2:13 AM | Report abuse

I think the best argument for re-signing Colome is that when the Nats play the Mets, there will still be a chance for Jesus to pitch, Jesus to catch, and for them to work together to strike out Pagan.

Posted by: Cavalier83 | January 16, 2009 7:10 AM | Report abuse

"The major problem with that is that I go to the home games and when I listen to XM I miss the Charlie & Dave broadcasts."

As I mentioned above, I've never had a problem picking up 1500 AM in Nationals Park. Get yourself a $25 transistor radio and a set of earbuds at Radio Shack and you're in business.

No, no, a thousand times no on Andruw Jones. He's washed up. Finished. And not to mention, fat.

Posted by: nunof1 | January 16, 2009 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Winchester!?

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 16, 2009 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Oops. I mean, Martinsburg!?

(Winchester would have made more sense, actually.)

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 16, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Interesting to me that they invited Destin Hood and not Michael Burgess or Chris Marerro. That would seem to be a strong compliment to and interest in Hood. Do they evaluate him as being closer to ready because of batting eye/approach, or do they simply want to get a good look to evaluate him.

I was also struck by the number of backup infielders that appear to be in competion including Alberto Gonzalez, Anderson Hernandez, Rafael Belliard, Jose Castillo, Joel Guzman, Pete Orr, Willie Harris, Cory Casto, Freddie Bynum, Dimitri Young, and Leonard Davis. I assume one of those guys ends up as the starting secondbaseman (most likely Hernandez). Willie Haris and Rafael Belliard are on the team unless Belliard is traded. That leaves one, maybe two, spots for the others. Alberto Gonzalez provides the best middle infield insurance, and Dmitri Young offers the best bat, but I am most intrigued by Joel Guzman and Leonard Davis - Davis especially. He's left-handed and plays 2B, 3B, LF, and RF. If he can hit in the majors he offers some lineup flexibility.

I believe Guzman has played 3B, SS, and 1B and though he has never hit as well as projected and he is still relatively young (25?).

Of course all that changes id Hudson and/or Dunn are signed....

Posted by: natbisquit | January 16, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Of course all that changes id Hudson and/or Dunn are signed...."

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

If our sorry FO actually signs either of those guys, I will end up grabbing my chest like Fred Sanford.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 16, 2009 9:30 AM | Report abuse

And now, a word about Andruw Jones for DC:

We return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 16, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I had a sudden thought, "what if we got Dunn AND nady"

the "wow" then drifted into, oh, um, where's the pitching (maybe in another year or two for our prospects to come up?)

Posted by: MalcolmYoung | January 17, 2009 9:57 AM | Report abuse