Nats Sign P Gary Glover

Washington has signed RHP Gary Glover to a minor-league deal, adding a veteran arm to the mostly young group competing for spots in the Nats' bullpen.

Glover, 32, is an eight-year major league veteran who's appeared in 263 games. (Career numbers: 29-26, 5.03 ERA, 516-2/3 IP, 3 SV, 184 BB, 324 K, 1.428 WHIP)

Glover split last season between Tampa Bay and Detroit, pitching a combined 54-1/3 innings with a 5.30 ERA. In his career, which started in 1999, Glover has pitched for the Blue Jays, the White Sox, the Angels, the Brewers, the Rays and the Tigers.

By Chico Harlan  |  January 26, 2009; 5:25 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Stanifesto
Next: Friends Recruiting Friends

Comments

That's worth a post?

(just kidding)

(next time, say they signed Dennys Reyes)

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | January 26, 2009 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Before this signing, the Nats needed some bullpen help.

After this signing, the Nats will still need bullpen help.

In other news, Pettitte signs with New York and Varitek has an offer on the table from Boston. I think the rest of the pieces will start to fall shortly.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 26, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

@jca, JiM:

Agreed - this guy is nothing more than an insurance policy for Syracuse, in case of injuries; if he ever sees duty in WSH, heaven help us.

Posted by: BinM | January 26, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Ohmigod, Ohmigod, Ohmigod! Are you kidding me? I'm so EXCITED! Dancing in my living room that we FINALLY got Greg Glovell after all this anticipation.

Posted by: NatsNut | January 26, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Has he done anything of note since "Rock and Roll Part 2"?

Posted by: Ted_Striker | January 26, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm reminded of an old adage on this signing: garbage in, garbage out.

Posted by: wahoo2x | January 26, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

>Has he done anything of note since "Rock and Roll Part 2"?

Posted by: Brue | January 26, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

At least not in this country. But in Thailand . . . (or was it Vietnam?)

Posted by: jca-CrystalCity | January 26, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I really liked him in Lethal Weapon. What? Oh. Never mind...

1a/Emily Litella

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 26, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't Glover be a good name for an infielder, though?

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 26, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

I considered mocking this signing too, but the truth is Bowden has found a few bullpen nuggets every year. Colome's first year was great - particularly before the all-star break, Hanrahan and Shell were minor league free agents, and there have been a long line of guys who delivered solid efforts for a month or two. It's a pretty good bet that he'll pitch for the hometeam at some point this year. Good grief, we had Sanches and Spiegner in the bullpen at times last year. No wonder no one sat in the red seats.

Posted by: natbisquit | January 26, 2009 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Rob Mackowiak signed by NYM. He'll probably hit .500 with 12 RBI and 4 HR against the Nats next year.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | January 26, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Fine.

BE that way.

Posted by: GGlover | January 26, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

True, natbisquit. As one of our broadcasters often says, "You never know."

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 26, 2009 7:57 PM | Report abuse

I think you're thinking of Gary Lavelle... http://tinyurl.com/c4vgg9
****************
Posted by: NatsNut | January 26, 2009 6:09 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 26, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Jeeves

Posted by: jcampbell1 | January 26, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Lets see, 6 clubs in 8 years yupper, there's another signature retread JimBo project. Welcome aboard Mr Glover you have hit pay-dirt here in LernerStan.

"are you not entertained"

Posted by: TippyCanoe | January 26, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Bowden has got to be stoned. There is no doubt anymore.

Posted by: Brue | January 26, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

>I'm embarrassed. I thought I knew my baseball players, but I've never heard of Glover and I wish I were being sarcastic.

You should be embarassed. For the Nats.

Posted by: Brue | January 26, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 26, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Thank you thank you. I'm here all week.
Try the veal.

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 26, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

>Brue, I really think that's over-reacting. Maybe a short, sharp shock, but stoning won't teach him anything.

I just remembered this dude -

Ah-Ahhh
la la la la la la
uh when she come walkin over
and I was waitin to show her
Crimson and Glover
over and over

Posted by: Brue | January 26, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

But all seriousness aside, this is a minor-league deal, costs us (the fans) nothing. If there's half a chance he'll be better than the worst guy at Syracuse, it's a reasonable move. Give the kid a break.

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 26, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

You're thinking of Grover Cleveland Alexander.
>>>>>>>
Crimson and Glover
over and over ...

Posted by: Brue | January 26, 2009 11:04 PM

Posted by: CEvansJr | January 26, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Good grief, we are just lousy with sarcasm! This is turning into one of the greatest threads in NJ history!

I mean, someone actually created the login name GGlover just to respond.

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 26, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

You know Bowden and Kasten are reading the comments section of this article..and a single tear is slowly rolling down their respective cheeks. "dammit we're trying our best. no one wants to play here..."
for the love of mercury sign Dunn and Hudson and *sheets* and let's be on our way to a respectable team

Posted by: 2012 | January 26, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Signature Bowden signing? Only if he has Cincinnati on his C.V. :-)

Posted by: tboss | January 26, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Is this coming out of the "pool of money" the team has to sign Hudson or Dunn, or a major league pitcher?

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

They should have given the team to the Malick group.

Posted by: mcwop | January 27, 2009 5:50 AM | Report abuse

One on the best off season sports story of the year.

Posted by: kgwcoach | January 27, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

at this rate, we should only lose 101 games next year....

Posted by: outrbnksm | January 27, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

How did we get this ace before the Yankees :)

Posted by: fearturtle44 | January 27, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Why did the Nats get rid of Tim Redding?

Posted by: nativedc | January 27, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

This guy was great in Angels in the Outfield. At what point do we sign Christopher Lloyd as well???

Posted by: drobins7 | January 27, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

This signing makes the Josh "Hit the Showers" Towers signing look good.

Posted by: jeff1824 | January 27, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Why do we need this guy at all? It looks to me like we've got a small horde of 5+ ERA relief pitchers on our bullpen bench, with enough better guys than that (Hinkley, Shell, Mock) for middle relief to keep these marginal journeymen warming the boards until their butts hurt.

We need a STARTER. We need a #1 starter ace, and Hill to stay healthy as our #2 starter, and Balester and Martis to improve just a little, and we'll be fine. It's a damn shame we didn't get C.C. Sabathia!

Posted by: FergusonFoont | January 27, 2009 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Where's the beef?

Show me the beef!!

Posted by: muddapucker | January 27, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

I keep asking... for all of you who wants to sign Dunn where do we play him? He wants to play corner outfield of which we already have about 7 guys. Said he doesn't want to play 1B. As much as I want to sign FAs for God's sake sign ones that make sense, and if there aren't any don't sign guys just to do something. After all, those Estrada and LoDuca signings we clammored for worked real well for us, didn't they? Spend money but spend it responsibly!

Posted by: SCNatsFan | January 27, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I think somebody forgot to turn on the hot stove this year.

Posted by: BobLHead | January 27, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

NCNats fan

I think the general consensus is to have him stumble about on first base.

Interestingly Ken Rosenthal at fox thinks that some FA's (and he mentions Dunn by name) might look to sign one year deals and try their luck in a weaker FA market.

I don't like the idea of signing Dunn but, for one year he fills a gap to see if other guys develop and, allows time for Dukes, Milledge et al to see if they can develop into middle of the order bats.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 27, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna stay positive and optimistic-I'm gonna stay positive and optimistic- I'm gonna stay positive and optimistic...sigh.
Jeeves

Posted by: jcampbell1 | January 27, 2009 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Robert Fick makes a great first baseman! hmmm, where did I hear that, anyway?

In other news, remember this?

Well now, there's this:

Six words contest. I'm so there...

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I think this signing will change the fortunes of this team and this franchise,Jimbo will be Executive of the Year in MLB!!.

Posted by: dargregmag | January 27, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the front office listened to the fans at Natsfest. Gary Glover was their ace in the hole. If every Natsfest results in Gary Glover type signing, I say we never hold one again.

Posted by: BillyBeane | January 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see everybody in such fine form last night/today.

Some good chuckles here.

Posted by: Scooter_ | January 27, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Nat's are seeing if Spring Training injuries might make some of their bit-parts more valuable.

Posted by: soundbloke | January 27, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Another Bargin bin Walmart signing for Jimbo.

I'm starting to sympathize with this poor sap. He's working for owners that think we are a small market club and he can only do what he can do.

Posted by: Section505203 | January 27, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Thank goodness! When I read the headline "Nats sign Glover", I thought it might have been Danny Glover...

I wonder what Danny is doing these days? I really liked those "Lethal Weapon" movies. Did he do anything else? Off the top of my head I can't think of a non-"LethalWeapon" Danny Glover movie. Hmmmmm...

Oh, sorry. Since no one on this board, nor I has ever heard of Gary Glover, I figured I might start-up a chat on Danny.

Way to go, Nats! I'm really liking our chances to keep the losses down to double figures this season!!

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | January 27, 2009 10:17 AM | Report abuse

How is the snow affecting the Nats' front office? Are they at work? Can we expect them to continue their feverish pace of offseason signings? Or, is this going to be a day off from The Plan?

Posted by: fischy | January 27, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

kgwcoach, that is a great story by Steinbog. Just more good stuff about Mock, who really does seem to get antsy being away from baseball all offseason. Last year, there was a short number by Ladson about how Mock was impatient to start Spring Training, and now this.

However, let's save that kind of positivity and enjoyment for another post, shall we? We got a good thing going here with this Glover signing, and I don't want any more snark blockers, okay?

Posted by: JohninMpls | January 27, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Yay, another magnificent signing!

Posted by: FireBowdenNow | January 27, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

One thing not on the Glover topic--I don't think anyone has mentioned (though I haven't been able to look at the blog as much as usual) Chico's article in Monday's dead trees edition. I thought the story about the three-year-old meeting Zimmerman was priceless. Thank you Chico.

Posted by: Section109 | January 27, 2009 10:42 AM | Report abuse

"Robert Fick makes a great first baseman! hmmm, where did I hear that, anyway?"

He's texting you every week too?

Posted by: nunof1 | January 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

To me, he'll always be Gary G Lover, or G Love.

Posted by: mike8 | January 27, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

@Section 109

I don't get the dead tree, but I was able to read that story online. I wanted to read two other stories as well, but couldn't. The "Johnson Holds Out Hope" links to the "Nats Lack the Answers" column, and the "Four Nats Still Unsigned" links to the "Dukes Faced Deadline" article.

Too keep the theme (that I don't really agree with, btw) going...it appears the online WAPO editors are as productive and successful as the Nats FO.

Posted by: Section138 | January 27, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Veteran? 263 appearances? Rauch could do that in 2 years.

Posted by: jctichen | January 27, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry... JB didn't tap into the Tex money for this signing, he just looked under the cushions on the couch...

Posted by: 1of9000 | January 27, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Yes, that must have been it, nunof. :-D

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Chico, quick question:

1) When was the last time we signed a free agent to a big league contract?

It seems more and more like last season where we just fielded a AAA team.

Posted by: MBUSA | January 27, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

YESYESYES

THE PLAN: it is going great!!!!

Lerner: learn!

Posted by: johnbear1 | January 27, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I'll have what he's having. ^

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | January 27, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I thought they had signed the dancer Savean Glover. Should I hold off buying World Series tickets?

Posted by: garyolney | January 27, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse